Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

For the last 48 hours, EB brought back the deal they had from the end of the last season of Fortnite, first 10k customers only.

Any game you trade that is worth $5 or more, that you trade toward Vbucks, they will toss in another 1000 Vbucks, so considering 1K VB costs 15 bucks, it's basically them taking a $5 game and giving you $20 for it. You're only supposed to do it once per person, but over the last 24 hours, due to being out already, Caitlyn and I (as two people, and a buddy we were with yesterday) have done it collectively 7 or 8 times with some of my old crappy games. After a couple of choice purchases (including Immortal Redneck, that I forgot about), my Switch has just over a healthy 200 bucks on it's digital account. 

Out of pocket we were about 40 odd bucks, including the cost of the games we traded (ie Watch Dogs 2 I got for $1 a while back, traded for 9 and THEN the 15 on top of it made it $24).

Example, today I traded PSVR Worlds that came with my VR bundle in December for $8, add the $15 and it's $23 there, I then paid the $7 difference and got a $30 eShop voucher.

The thing is, there's no Vbuck codes, period. Despite how EB advertise it, and as much as they'd probably prefer it to work that way, the way it actually works is they have to give you a code for your store of choice, Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, and then you're meant to buy the Vbucks with the code, but there's no restrictions on the codes, they're just standard store vouchers. The reason I didn't get in on it last time, was that the game was only on PS4/Xbox and I barely played them enough that it would honestly just go to waste on me... and I found out on like the last or second last day anyways. 

So basically, we more than 5 times multiplied a 40 buck investment. And I'm pretty fucking happy about it to be honest. I'm aware I need to stop buying games, I buy too many and the backlog is big enough, but you look me in the eye and tell me that I'm an idiot for turning 40 bucks into 200+

36954506_1001414430016903_24166538440553 

• Like 1

Mega Man X collections are up for pre-order. Still in the mood to buy the first collection.

Spoiler

Banner Saga 3 is up for pre-order too and there's a kind of trilogy deal: if you have 1, you get 25% off on 2; if you have 1 and 2, you get 40% off on 3. This results in €50 for the trilogy, where the separate games cost a total of €65. I'm pretty much thinking about getting Banner Saga 1 and just seeing how far I want to take this.

12 hours ago, SyumiSan said:

Anybody hyped for the Physical Switch releases from Limited Run Games? Who is everyone's anticipated game?

Mine is almost all but it has to go to

YOOKA-LAYLEE :)

id say my most anticipated game for Switch is Bayonetta 3 im really excied for that as i loved the first 2 games and Bayonetta 1 is my 2nd favorite video game 

but i hope they make it as hard as the first one as i played the second on Hard and Infinite climax and didnt find them both that hard 

18 hours ago, SyumiSan said:

Anybody hyped for the Physical Switch releases from Limited Run Games? Who is everyone's anticipated game?

Heck yeah!

Already have their physical Switch releases of Flinthook, Mercenary Kings, Saturday Morning RPG, Slime-san and Oceanhorn (not an official LRG release but ordered through their shop) preordered.

I'll definitely be picking up Yooka Laylee too.  Golf Story and Dust An Elysian Tail are also definitely happening.  West of Loathing is in the 'probably' pile.  Not particularly interested in Cosmic Star Heroine (or whatever it is) and Layers of Fear I would prefer to get on the PS4 if its an option (to go along with my preordered PS4 copy of Observer!).

EDIT: Yooka Laylee is probably the one that I find the most exciting.  Always wanted to play it and the game should fit like a glove on the Switch and in my collection, being an unabashedly old-school 3D platformer.

Edited by Dreakon13

9 hours ago, Monokuma_79 said:

id say my most anticipated game for Switch is Bayonetta 3 im really excied for that as i loved the first 2 games and Bayonetta 1 is my 2nd favorite video game 

but i hope they make it as hard as the first one as i played the second on Hard and Infinite climax and didnt find them both that hard 

I bought the Climax Edition for my boyfriend because he wanted to try Bayonetta lol.We like physical copies so that's why we went with that.

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Heck yeah!

Already have their physical Switch releases of Flinthook, Mercenary Kings, Saturday Morning RPG, Slime-san and Oceanhorn (not an official LRG release but ordered through their shop) preordered.

I'll definitely be picking up Yooka Laylee too.  Golf Story and Dust An Elysian Tail are also definitely happening.  West of Loathing is in the 'probably' pile.  Not particularly interested in Cosmic Star Heroine (or whatever it is) and Layers of Fear I would prefer to get on the PS4 if its an option (to go along with my preordered PS4 copy of Observer!).

EDIT: Yooka Laylee is probably the one that I find the most exciting.  Always wanted to play it and the game should fit like a glove on the Switch and in my collection, being an unabashedly old-school 3D platformer.

The only Switch games I have from LRG are Thimbleweed Park, Saturday Morning RPG pre-ordered and Oceanhorn pre-ordered. Didn't particularly like the other Switch games sadly :'(

1 hour ago, SyumiSan said:

The only Switch games I have from LRG are Thimbleweed Park, Saturday Morning RPG pre-ordered and Oceanhorn pre-ordered. Didn't particularly like the other Switch games sadly :'(

Part of it for me, is the thrill of getting these limited releases while they are available.  I was on the fence with Flinthook, Mercenary Kings and Slime-san... but ultimately pulled the trigger.  Best case scenario, I like them.  Worst case scenario, I support a group (LRG) doing something I care about (producing physical games)... and maybe I flip the game for a profit to someone who would appreciate it more.

I played a demo of Slime-san since, at least, and it's pretty cool!  Kind of a poor mans Super Meat Boy.  So that's one I'm glad I picked up. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, SyumiSan said:

I bought the Climax Edition for my boyfriend becausee wanted to try Bayonetta lol.We like physical copies so that's why we went with that.

i can see why i try to get Physical copys if i can but my step mum wount pay for the Climax Edition and it was really eexpansive so i just whent with the regular copy downloading games are annoying Devil May Cry 4 and Bayonetta took ages to download thats the main reason i dont like getting digital copys  

but anyways how did you find the games

10 minutes ago, Monokuma_79 said:

i can see why i try to get Physical copys if i can but my step mum wount pay for the Climax Edition and it was really eexpansive so i just whent with the regular copy downloading games are annoying Devil May Cry 4 and Bayonetta took ages to download thats the main reason i dont like getting digital copys  

but anyways how did you find the games

Well it depends on where you live. For instance I live in New York. I usually shop around on Bestbuy(GCU till June '19), amazon.com, Ebay and Gamestop. For example just the other day I bought brand new Mario Tennis Aces for $39.27 off ebay. Sometimes its patience I guess? Same thing with me buying Neo Atlas 1439, I got that for $39.99 off ebay as well. I literally stalk sites for that purpose. The Climax edition I bought it off Solaris Japan for $175. If you want, I can help you find cheap games buy dming you links based where you live? I wouldn't mind helping out :). 

Also @Dreakon13 I would do the same as well for you too. I wouldn't mind helping at all :)

Edited by SyumiSan

8 minutes ago, SyumiSan said:

Well it depends on where you live. For instance I live in New York. I usually shop around on Bestbuy(GCU till June '19), amazon.com, Ebay and Gamestop. For example just the other day I bought brand new Mario Tennis Aces for $39.27 off ebay. Sometimes its patience I guess? Same thing with me buying Neo Atlas 1439, I got that for $39.99 off ebay as well. I literally stalk sites for that purpose. The Climax edition I bought it off Solaris Japan for $175. If you want, I can help you find cheap games buy dming you links based where you live? I wouldn't mind helping out :). 

Also @Dreakon13 I would do the same as well for you too. I wouldn't mind helping at all :)

i see well i live in the UK so finding stuff is pretty limited 

thats really nice of you but um i think im ok im not really looking to get anymore games this mouth as i've all ready had 3 and a couple of games i would like to get arnt out yet 

but thats for the offer it was really nice of you =)

16 minutes ago, Monokuma_79 said:

i see well i live in the UK so finding stuff is pretty limited 

thats really nice of you but um i think im ok im not really looking to get anymore games this mouth as i've all ready had 3 and a couple of games i would like to get arnt out yet 

but thats for the offer it was really nice of you =)

No problem. I am always here for help hahaha. Trust me, I can even find the most obscure game ;)

2 hours ago, SyumiSan said:

I'll probably pass, but I appreciate it!  I typically don't have too much trouble skulking those same sites and finding deals if I really want to... the problem is that I should probably just be saving that money instead, even if it is cheaper. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'll probably pass, but I appreciate it!  I typically don't have too much trouble skulking those same sites and finding deals if I really want to... the problem is that I should probably just be saving that money instead, even if it is cheaper. ;)

Lol I know what you mean but if it's a game that someone is trying to sell for $50+ and I get it for less than $40 lmao I am grabbing it lol

Picked up Octopath Traveler and have been playing it non-stop for about 6 hours.  Gotta say, it's one of the best JRPG's I've played in a long long time.  Of course, I grew up playing on the SNES so anything that pulls inspiration from that time will get a little bias out of me.  It'd be hard for me to recommend this game to anyone that doesn't already have an interest in either retro gaming, or JRPG's as a whole, but to those of you that do, you should play this game.  

Initially I brushed it off and didn't think I'd be getting it, the hype and positive feedback surrounding the game convinced me otherwise (I didn't play either of the demos).  While some of the game mechanics lie in the past where the game draws it's inspiration, the developers made a lot of interesting updates to the tried JRPG formula that breathes new life into the genre.  The battles, while still random and plenty, offer new ways to tackle each encounter as if it was new.  Each enemy type has multiple weaknesses that are only discernible through experimentation.  Add on the ability to "power up" attacks after each round and the strategy involved gets pretty deep, more so with "boss" encounters.  The game lets you pick your starting protagonist, and it is this protag that will stay with you for the entirety of the game.  There are, however, 7 more party members that you can recruit to your party, making the total roster 8 characters (this is where the name Octopath comes from).  Each of these 8 characters have their own story and you get the option of viewing their "opening scene" and then playing out their chapters in chronological order.  Ch.1, Ch. 2, etc...

I don't know how many chapters each character has, but from what I've played it seems like at least 2.  So that's at least 2 chapters per character, that's 16 chapters.  I'm on the first chapter of my third party member so I'm comfortable saying that this will be a meaty experience.  The stories thus far have been really good, the battle system is fantastic and the music is absolutely amazing.  I'd almost recommend getting the game for that alone.  All in all, I have zero regrets buying this at full price.  I feel like the game is a beautiful step forwards for the genre, while also tipping it's hat at the games that came before it.  I can see myself playing through this multiple times, and I look forward to doing just that.

anyway, that's my 2 cents.  

• Like 2

I'm not big into JRPG's, but Octopath Traveler has my attention.  Not that JRPG is completely unrepresented in my collection (I imported I Am Setsuna a little while back that I still haven't gotten to) but it definitely seems like one of those "must haves" for the collection.  Seems like a great option as far as scratching the JRPG itch when the time comes.

EDIT: My only beef is that from reviews it sounds like there is a ton of reading involved, which is usually a big turn off for me. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

17 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

The battles, while still random and plenty, offer new ways to tackle each encounter as if it was new.

I was with you until you mentioned random encounters. Does Octopath really have them? Ugh, that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me. It's my least favorite part of JRPGs and I really only enjoy ones that have visible enemies on the map that can be avoided (or fought of course). Even if I'm going through and fighting every enemy in sight, I vastly prefer being able to plan my battles.

I don't have any nostalgia for 16-bit JRPGs, since I only got into them later and can't get into that generation of JRPGs now. But I liked the little bit of the demo I played. I'm still not sure if I'm part of the target audience though.

In general Switch news, I'm mostly playing Rayman Legends and Hollow Knight now, with HK taking up most of my time. I am near the end of World 3 in Legends, and for HK:

Spoiler

I just did my initial run through Darknest with a couple of areas being blocked off for my current abilities.

I'm loving both games.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

18 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I was with you until you mentioned random encounters. Does Octopath really have them? Ugh, that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me. It's my least favorite part of JRPGs and I really only enjoy ones that have visible enemies on the map that can be avoided (or fought of course). Even if I'm going through and fighting every enemy in sight, I vastly prefer being able to plan my battles.

I don't have any nostalgia for 16-bit JRPGs, since I only got into them later and can't get into that generation of JRPGs now. But I liked the little bit of the demo I played. I'm still not sure if I'm part of the target audience though.

In general Switch news, I'm mostly playing Rayman Legends and Hollow Knight now, with HK taking up most of my time. I am near the end of World 3 in Legends, and for HK:

Reveal hidden contents

I just did my initial run through Darknest with a couple of areas being blocked off for my current abilities.

I'm loving both games.

Yeah, sorry buddy.  Like I said, they are random and plenty.  I don't mind them really but it got to a point last night where I was starting to wonder if it would let up, it didn't.  I recommend you give the demos a try and see if it's something you can live with or not.  

Just saw that you've already tried the demo.  nvm.  You should probably save your money for something you know you'll enjoy.  

Edited by angelgrievous

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

Yeah, sorry buddy.  Like I said, they are random and plenty.  I don't mind them really but it got to a point last night where I was starting to wonder if it would let up, it didn't.  I recommend you give the demos a try and see if it's something you can live with or not.  

Just saw that you've already tried the demo.  nvm.  You should probably save your money for something you know you'll enjoy. 

This highlights why gameplay impressions from fellow gamers are helpful. I didn't see a single mention of random encounters in the reviews I read for the game (granted I didn't read a ton, but I read at least 3).

I did try the latest demo but I didn't get far enough to have any combat. I liked the non-combat part at least. I guess I can keep playing the demo to at least experience the combat, but it sounds like something that would kill my enjoyment of the game. I forced myself to push through Hyperdimension Neptunia (the original, the only game in the series with random encounters), and I was not a fan of the random encounters. One of the things I love about the Trails in the Sky games is that every battle can be fled with 100% success, so if you get in over your head and haven't saved recently, you can bug out. What a great feature.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying Octopath Traveler. The game wasn't on my radar until I tried the demo, but it looks like it's not for me. I just got Shining Resonance Refrain, which I'm enjoying so far, plus I have Tales of Vesperia coming soon. Between those games and all the JRPGs on my Vita backlog, I'm pretty well covered for JRPGs on the go.

19 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Picked up Octopath Traveler and have been playing it non-stop for about 6 hours.  Gotta say, it's one of the best JRPG's I've played in a long long time.  Of course, I grew up playing on the SNES so anything that pulls inspiration from that time will get a little bias out of me.  It'd be hard for me to recommend this game to anyone that doesn't already have an interest in either retro gaming, or JRPG's as a whole, but to those of you that do, you should play this game.  

Initially I brushed it off and didn't think I'd be getting it, the hype and positive feedback surrounding the game convinced me otherwise (I didn't play either of the demos).  While some of the game mechanics lie in the past where the game draws it's inspiration, the developers made a lot of interesting updates to the tried JRPG formula that breathes new life into the genre.  The battles, while still random and plenty, offer new ways to tackle each encounter as if it was new.  Each enemy type has multiple weaknesses that are only discernible through experimentation.  Add on the ability to "power up" attacks after each round and the strategy involved gets pretty deep, more so with "boss" encounters.  The game lets you pick your starting protagonist, and it is this protag that will stay with you for the entirety of the game.  There are, however, 7 more party members that you can recruit to your party, making the total roster 8 characters (this is where the name Octopath comes from).  Each of these 8 characters have their own story and you get the option of viewing their "opening scene" and then playing out their chapters in chronological order.  Ch.1, Ch. 2, etc...

I don't know how many chapters each character has, but from what I've played it seems like at least 2.  So that's at least 2 chapters per character, that's 16 chapters.  I'm on the first chapter of my third party member so I'm comfortable saying that this will be a meaty experience.  The stories thus far have been really good, the battle system is fantastic and the music is absolutely amazing.  I'd almost recommend getting the game for that alone.  All in all, I have zero regrets buying this at full price.  I feel like the game is a beautiful step forwards for the genre, while also tipping it's hat at the games that came before it.  I can see myself playing through this multiple times, and I look forward to doing just that.

anyway, that's my 2 cents.  

You're a little bit further than me in the game (I've only just met my second character and am doing his opening chapter now). However, I just stopped by to say everything you said was spot on :) I understand this type of game isn't for everybody but I am a big fan of JRPG's, particularly old school retro games that remind me of FFVI in some ways. The music is beautiful and I kind of regret not buying the collector's edition with the soundtrack in the end. Oh well.

Anyway, this game is going to keep me entertained for the next 50 hours or so (obviously those hours won't be continuous and ll be broken up over the course of a few weeks ?).

• Like 1

On 12.7.2018 at 11:05 PM, SyumiSan said:

I would love to get a physical release of Hollow Knight including all DLC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soniq said:

I would love to get a physical release of Hollow Knight including all DLC.

You and me both, brother.

Unfortunately nothing officially announced yet... though in a Reddit AMA, I believe a Team Cherry dev said a physical copy is in the works.  Who is publishing it, when it's coming, or whats included is still unknown of course.  But all hope is not lost yet!

EDIT: Still haven't started a new Hollow Knight playthrough now that I have it on the Switch, despite having the itch in desperate need of scratching.  At this point I may as well just wait for the final DLC like I planned. ?  Wish they'd at least give a release date for it.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

At this point I may as well just wait for the final DLC like I planned. 1f621.png  Wish they'd at least give a release date for it.

That's probably the reason they haven't announced the physical version if one is actually being worked on. Would make sense to me to wait until the game is complete with all expansions before selling cartridges to collectors. ?