Level 99 Trophy

DeadStanley

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 9:20 PM, DeadStanley said:

(normally you would travel 6 screens away and come back to force a respawn, which you may need to do on occassion).

Which isn't even the case here, go south until you see the teleporter, take it, go back to the elephants and continue your killing spree. Anway... Will give your strategy a go tomorrow.

• 10 months later...

It only took me about 3 hours of post-game grinding, from level 67. I used excalibur, and just grinded on the elephants right before the final forest area. The trick is to leave the screen before they disappear. You'll still get the XP, but they'll still respawn when you re-enter the screen. Still, a tedious trophy that added nothing to my gaming experience.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm sure the lightning strategy works well. but it implies too much wasted time letting your bar charge. I simply tweaked the Excalibur strategy a tiny bit: using the strongest axe instead of Excalibur worked much better. You still kill the elephants in one or two hits, but you're much less likely to trigger the boosted attack that makes you travel through the screen and often screws up your chances of the elephants respawning. Those few hours were still pointlessness but I got to the trophy pleasure-trigger a wee bit faster.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Gonna be real, I didn't realize there was a point of no return, so I had to revert to a save prior to Dime Tower... so while I had borked my run initially, I did check out the Elephant grind and was kinda underwhelmed at the idea that that was the place to grind. They're worth, on average, 250 XP which is pretty good but, overall, not that great and it is kind of a pain in the ass if something goes wrong.

If they're not lined up the right way for Excalibur dash or if you accidentally kill all of them having to reset... the hassle for slightly higher XP per kill was just not what I had expected.

So going back to my Dime Tower save, I went to the top left corner of the map of the first floor where the stairs are. It bypasses the outdoor area, but in that same room, there are a bunch of Ghost Hands and Ghost Swords. To the right is a room with small round monsters and a larger bird-ish? monster.

I would kill everything but one monster on each screen, going back and forth. If I accidentally killed them all, I would reset by going up the stairs and back down, then moving to the right to kill the round monsters and bird-ish? monsters and then go back since the monsters don't spawn right away when coming back down the stairs. Each pass of going from left to right averaged anywhere between 400 XP to 3000 XP, but overall, you're making about 1000-1500 XP each pass which is equivalent or better to the Elephant grind. If I needed 20,000 XP, I would say I need 20 passes. So 1 pass is going from the left screen then to the right, then coming back. Sometimes I level before the 20, sometimes I level a little after but it doesn't take more than a few seconds on each room.

Each monster is worth, on average, 220-230 XP but they have the potential to spawn a large number (I've seen 8 spawn) of them on both screens but also have the potential to spawn only 2.

I would use the Mantis Scythe so I don't have to deal with any animation locking and it can kill all of the monsters since they don't have immunity to it.

I was getting a level every 3 to 5 minutes. It took me about... roughly 3 hours to go from Level 50 to 99.

The key thing is saving time by not dealing with animations, not moving too far and not taking too long to reset. I only walk into each room far enough to hit as many monsters as possible without causing them to despawn, then I would move to the previous room and do it again as fast as I can. Over a long grind, this saves much more time than doing the Elephants and if, for what ever reason you wanted to still have the ability to go around the game and explore, you could without locking yourself into the end dungeon.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Planning on picking this back up in a bit and checked the guide. I'll throw in that many of the same tricks from the original release on GB still work here. Every playthrough I did had the max level grind way way earlier in the game. One screen south of the Silver Mines exit is a narrow forest area with a line of werewolves. Grind on them until your stamina meter is at such a level that it fills in a couple seconds. Then it's just a matter of walk in, toss ax, walk out, walk back in, toss ax, repeat.

Sure, it's only around 20 or so xp, but it's 20 or so xp every three seconds and can be whittled down to 2 seconds with all the levels your getting. So we're clear, I'm not saying it's any better. Mathematically it isn't. But it's a great place to start given where you should be around the time you get there. I'd normally hang around werewolf town until 30 or 40.

Edited by Jelly Soup