[999] Final Puzzle changed in Remaster

1 minute ago, soultaker655 said:

Cool.

Is it better or worse now?

It doesn't give you a lot of instruction on what to do or how it works.

But when you figure out the solution, Well I thought "What? Really? It was right there in front of me this whole time..."

53 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

Hoping someone makes a guide of the new change by this new change of the puzzle since I will going to buy this game soon, and hopefully won't be as difficult when it happens. 

Honestly you don't really need a guide for the final puzzle, you just gotta try not to overthink it since that was really the biggest problem I was having with it haha.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I felt about the original puzzle:

It was a sudoku. SO perfect for this game, and its fixation on the number nine. A stroke of genius. At least, it would have been, if sudoku hadn't been an extremely popular puzzle. For people who'd never played sudoku, the final puzzle was fucking perfect. It required some ingenuity in figuring out what was expected of you, and it included the main arc number of the game. But to anyone who had played sudoku before, and those are probably many people, it was like "Uh, a sudoku? That's it?" Since we already knew what kind of puzzle this was, solving it was too easy. 

I think this new puzzle wasn't changed because a sudoku would have been uncomfortable with the controls, but because now even more people know about sudoku, and the puzzle would have had the desired effect with practically no one anymore. 

That said, the puzzle that replaced it is strange, unintuitive, and uninspired. I never really figured out what the rules of the puzzle were,

Spoiler

I just saw that the bottom column almost said Password, and I switched out the letters from the matrix to spell out that word and voila. When asked for the password, I had no idea what was expected of me, and I correctly guessed 9. 

• Like 1

The last puzzle was just not the same for me. I prefer the one on the DS. Just like stated earlier it almost spelled password so switched out the corresponding numbers. Now after solving that puzzle and having to guess what the password was, it was kinda trolly. I felt super salty when it was just 9 while here I was doing the whole base-10 and thinking it was the digital root of all those numbers, but nope just a 9. Loved replaying it, but that last puzzle just didn't sit with me.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 3:14 PM, LethalBlade26 said:

The last puzzle was just not the same for me. I prefer the one on the DS. Just like stated earlier it almost spelled password so switched out the corresponding numbers. Now after solving that puzzle and having to guess what the password was, it was kinda trolly. I felt super salty when it was just 9 while here I was doing the whole base-10 and thinking it was the digital root of all those numbers, but nope just a 9. Loved replaying it, but that last puzzle just didn't sit with me.

Agreed, the last puzzle was a bit of a let down. I will say that 999 lost some of its charm for me replaying it a second time. The pacing just seemed kind of off for some reason. On the other hand, I had a difficult time getting into VLR the first time I played it because it was so different from 999 but now I'm immensely enjoying it on my 2nd time through. I'm looking forward to replaying Zero Time Dilemma on PS4 after I finish VLR! 

• 6 months later...

I remember when I got up to the final puzzle in 999. I had no idea how to play Sudoku and this was in the middle of a week long power outage in my neighborhood (the reason why I started playing the game in the first place). I had to run to a coffee shop with my tablet, hop on their wifi and look up the solution.