Final Fantasy XIII:Lighting Returns Trailer

HeartUnderBlade

Trailer for Final Fantasy XIII: Lighting Returns

Maybe some of you guys have seen this but I didn't see it here on the forums and so it happens that I saw it on IGN today in some of the recommended videos. How did this slipped by without me noticing it? oh well, enjoy and leave your opinions.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by entimecago
  • Like 3

• Tetsuya Nomura designed Lightning's new costume, she can change costumes and color palettes throughout the game
  • Time is always flowing when you are in the field, with the exception of access the menu items
  • NPCs' location and action will change at different time, certain info can only be obtained at specific range of time
  • Lightning is the only one you can operate in the game
  • She can battle in various "styles", you can create new styles (weapon, armor, accessories, abilities) and switch between them during battle
  • The battle system is called AATB - Amazing Active Time Battle (tentative)
  • AATB gives you a sense of multiple character battling even though it's really just Lightning by herself
  • You can earn points for effective use of time, equipment and items
  • Half of the monsters are new
  • Black haze will appear at certain times in specific areas, in which a lot of monsters will appear
  • You can travel between different continents by foot or monorail, this is the "open world" connection, which may mean additional locations can be added to your game in future
  • There were 26 hours in one day in FFXIII, when time stopped 2 hours were lost, and hence in this game each day is 24 hours
  • There is a limited number of items Lightning can carry in her journey
  • You can clear the game multiple times, and each time you can find a lot of things you didn't experience before. It gives player incentive to replay the game over and over, although the endings do not change too much
  • Kitase said you will be satisfied with the outcome of all the other characters from FFXIII and FFXIII-2
  • If you do your best, you can stretch the time limit past 13 days by increasing time, the way to do this is still a secret
  • You can assign abilities to buttons, which makes battles more action oriented than command based
  • Lightning's costume was designed by Tetsuya Nomura, which emphasizes on the red and white on her original outfit
  • At the end of the 13th day, a new world will be born, Lightning's task as a Liberator is to guide as many souls to the new world as possible
  • Chocolina will return to the game, but she will not be a merchant, she will be in a different role
  • Lightning's costume is the outfit of Soul Liberator given by Bhunivelze, the task is to release the souls
  • Lightning's task was given by Bhunivelze, in the Fabula Nova Crystallis (Crystal Myths) there are many gods. Bhunivelze is the only one who hasn't appear
  • The citizens of Luxerion quietly await the world ends, which began with serial murders committed by those who oppose Bhunivelze's creed
  • Each of the four continents has its own concept, for example Luxerion is serial murder, because the team wants to have mystery component for more mature audience
  • People in the four continents have no idea only 13 days remain, they only know the world is coming to an end
  • You can travel with Chocobos in this game
  • In this game you have to fulfill certain conditions before you can stagger an enemy
  • There will be no QTEs
  • You can buy or make your own equipment with the right components
  • There are decorative accessories such as sunglasses and costumes you see in the trailer
  • Lightning's Level is tied with the number of quests you obtain from people
  • The game is currently 25 - 30% complete, develop progress will speed up greatly after reaching 50%
  • No mini game is planned at this point, it will be considered toward the end of the development
  • There will be no story download content, the game will include the complete story and satisfactory ending

Details taken from Weekly Famitsu.

Edited by Wandererster
  • Like 4

Bunch of stuff I didn't know. The only problem for me is the time limit, that makes me think the game will be short, hope I'm wrong.

Same for me, although I think they already affirmed that Lighting Returns will be shorter than XIII and XIII-2 but will compensate by the re-playability. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Same for me, although I think they already affirmed that Lighting Returns will be shorter than XIII and XIII-2 but will compensate by the re-playability. Please correct me if I'm wrong

I looked for it and yes they already confirmed that. I must say this worries me, 13 days that last 2 hours means a 26 hours game, that is way too short imo.

I looked for it and yes they already confirmed that. I must say this worries me, 13 days that last 2 hours means a 26 hours game, that is way too short imo.

It is not, nowdays games take 8-12 hours to complete. But if you look to final Fantasy all it's games have always been long, I remember Final Fantasy X, If I would estimate that game took me around 120 hours to complete, or even more (for farming and other stuff :)) so in that case I would agree with you, I have always said that XIII-2 was too short and easy for me, and XIII was also short although it wasn't that easy.

Edited by entimecago

Yawn. Will not buy. I use to be a very, very hard core fan of FF but the franchise is pretty much dead as far as I'm concerned. No interest in FFXIV either.

I find this rehashing and reusing of characters very sad as well. Remember the days when every FF game was a whole new world with all new characters and all new stories. SE has abandoned everything about the games that made them so good. God only knows what they are smoking over there.

I never played XIII-2 but I'm assuming when you start that game your characters aren't maxed out and can't summon eidelons and do 999,999 damage in one hit from the very start right? So how does that make any sense. Boo Final Fantashy cash crab reusing the same characters (even if they are good characters, no one is saying they aren't).

I know. I just know, that some of you agree with me, even tho you buy these games. Oh gotta support the beloved franchise. How else will they ever make a good game if I don't give them my money! Meh. You need to stop giving them you're money so they can actually clue in that they aren't making good games.

Ok nuff said, for all those that gonna buy it anyway, enjoy!

• Like 1

It is not, nowdays games take 8-12 hours to complete. But if you look to final Fantasy all it's games have always been long, I remember Final Fantasy X, If I would estimate that game took me around 120 hours to complete, or even more (for farming and other stuff :)) so in that case I would agree with you, I have always said that XIII-2 was too short and easy for me, and XIII was also short although it wasn't that easy.

I completely agree. Nearly All of the first person shooter games (resistance, CoD, etc.) have a relatively short campaign (8-12 hrs) with little to no replay value. Resistance 1 was an 8 hr game at most which at the time barely had a multiplayer and I beat resistance 3 and quantum of solace campaigns in 2 DAYS. And Let us not forget RE5. You are REWARDED for beating in the game in under 5 hrs and multiplayer is DLC only. Me and my partner (who never played the game and we had no unlimited ammo) beat the game in 6 hrs and 30 mins on our first run. So, let's rethink what a "short" game really is...26 hrs with replay value is worth $60.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Yawn. Will not buy. I use to be a very, very hard core fan of FF but the franchise is pretty much dead as far as I'm concerned. No interest in FFXIV either.

I find this rehashing and reusing of characters very sad as well. Remember the days when every FF game was a whole new world with all new characters and all new stories. SE has abandoned everything about the games that made them so good. God only knows what they are smoking over there.

I never played XIII-2 but I'm assuming when you start that game your characters aren't maxed out and can't summon eidelons and do 999,999 damage in one hit from the very start right? So how does that make any sense. Boo Final Fantashy cash crab reusing the same characters (even if they are good characters, no one is saying they aren't).

I know. I just know, that some of you agree with me, even tho you buy these games. Oh gotta support the beloved franchise. How else will they ever make a good game if I don't give them my money! Meh. You need to stop giving them you're money so they can actually clue in that they aren't making good games.

Ok nuff said, for all those that gonna buy it anyway, enjoy!

Nope you can't because the characters in the game are new except for Serah but we never saw her summon an eidolon in FF XIII so that excusable as for Lightning she starts the game being powerful but you only get to use her only at the start of game but is also excusable because she is almost a goddess in the game it wound't make much sense being a goddess needing the help of others and getting killed by randoms monsters when in the story she is far more powerful than then.

• Like 2

Nope you can't because the characters in the game are new except for Serah but we never saw her summon an eidolon in FF XIII so that excusable as for Lightning she starts the game being powerful but you only get to use her only at the start of game but is also excusable because she is almost a goddess in the game it wound't make much sense being a goddess needing the help of others and getting killed by randoms monsters when in the story she is far more powerful than then.

Ok that's not so bad then :)

I hadn't seen a trailer for this yet :yay: This is a game i'll definitely be getting, i actually really enjoyed both final fantasy xiii and xiii-2 despite the overall verdict of the games, so i'll be playing this no matter what's said about it. The countdown aspect reminds me of playing Zelda Majora's Mask as a little kiddie, which i loved :wub:

• Like 1

I have both Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 and I do like the 1st one (I have yet to play XIII-2, believe it or not), so it's very likely I will buy the game when it gets released. Looks good, but that time limit is my biggest problem with it so far. Like others have said, hope it isn't short, or at least, too short.

I enjoyed FF13 & 13-2 and the entire reason I got a PS3 was to continue playing Final Fantasy numbered entries...but that's besides the point.

I loved the improvements 13-2 made over 13 in every aspect. I am certainly excited for 13-3.

Reading Wanderester's post from Famitsu, I worry that they are changing this game too much from the previous two entries, the game looks more action-oriented. How am I supposed to lay down on my couch and grind experience at a near-comatose state?! Now I actually have to run and jump and scale the environment!? What is this? Assassin's Creed? :P

I liked how 13-2 abandoned the creating/upgrading equipment that 13-1 had. That is more of a pain in the butt than anything. *eburk reminisces about creating every single item in FF13*

I don't like inventory/weight limits either. So not only will you have to create a bunch of weapons/items, but you will have to manage the raw components so you are under the inventory limits? Ugh. You don't have to make a game realistic to make it fun. I like lugging around 99 of every item! Hoarding junk is half the fun. But nooo, they will probably impose some unrealistic weight limit like Skyrim where you can only carry 26 battle axes and 8 pieces of pottery at one time, because that is realistic. All that does is annoy the player. It's not like you get a huge advantage being able to carry...okay I'm getting off track!

I'm probably just worrying too much and assuming things. I am indeed excited and will be a day-1 purchase for me.

• Like 4

I enjoyed FF13 & 13-2 and the entire reason I got a PS3 was to continue playing Final Fantasy numbered entries...but that's besides the point.

I loved the improvements 13-2 made over 13 in every aspect. I am certainly excited for 13-3.

Reading Wanderester's post from Famitsu, I worry that they are changing this game too much from the previous two entries, the game looks more action-oriented. How am I supposed to lay down on my couch and grind experience at a near-comatose state?! Now I actually have to run and jump and scale the environment!? What is this? Assassin's Creed? :P

I liked how 13-2 abandoned the creating/upgrading equipment that 13-1 had. That is more of a pain in the butt than anything. *eburk reminisces about creating every single item in FF13*

I don't like inventory/weight limits either. So not only will you have to create a bunch of weapons/items, but you will have to manage the raw components so you are under the inventory limits? Ugh. You don't have to make a game realistic to make it fun. I like lugging around 99 of every item! Hoarding junk is half the fun. But nooo, they will probably impose some unrealistic weight limit like Skyrim where you can only carry 26 battle axes and 8 pieces of pottery at one time, because that is realistic. All that does is annoy the player. It's not like you get a huge advantage being able to carry...okay I'm getting off track!

I'm probably just worrying too much and assuming things. I am indeed excited and will be a day-1 purchase for me.

+ 1 to Eberk's post

although i will be buying it to support my favorite game franchise... i don't really like some of the things i hear... but to tell you the truth im sure it will be well balanced

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New update.

Square Enix revealed a new character in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, her name is Lumina, a young girl who resembles Serah but with a Gothic Lolita look. She both helps and hinder Lightning in the game.

The new costume system is introduced in the game called "Wear", you can preset 3 types of Wears and swap them in battles. Some of the Wears include "Dark Muse", which comes with a knife, camouflage jacket, pants with holes and grid-shaped shield; "Lone Shadow in Sandstorm", which comes with a samurai armor and a large blade.

Lightning will have new moves in battle, include Guard and Evade. There is a new Quest System, you can find quests in Bulletin Boards at the bars, clearing the quests will extend the time (before the end of the world).

7BR3w.jpg

• Like 2

Serah is back too?????.. this is Serah, it has to be a reincarnation or something, don't know any info about her but it seems SE is out of new ideas and decided to introduce a character that looks exactly as Serah, or maybe is a reincarnation who knows :)

Lumina.jpg

Edited by entimecago

Additional details

• There will be no monsters in your party, you only control Lightning
  • The battles are more fast paced
  • New Guard move helps to reduce damages received
  • Monsters will appear on world map
  • Battle begins as you attack the monster on world map
  • You can switch between Wears with a button, each Wear has its own ATB bar that fills up independently from the other Wears
  • You can purchase abilities from merchants, and assign abilities to Wears
  • Noel Kreiss, Snow Villers and Hope Estheim will be in the game
  • Snow and Hope will offer help and advices through communication link
  • Noel was corrupted by chaotic energy, it is up to Lightning to rescue him from the corruption
  • As for new character Lumina, Motomu Toriyama said "you may notice she looks quite like Serah, it is mysterious...."
  • You cannot jump back in time, only slow it down
  • You can play through the game again if you miss an event, and you can unlock even more surprises
  • There is a great balance of action and strategic elements in this game
  • There is no Crystarium system in this game
  • At the beginning Lightning seems to be more closed up and distanted, but she will open up her real emotions and tell what's in her mind, becoming more and more human and vulnerable
  • There is a Quest System, some quests will have stealth and detective elements
  • Lightning can restore her HP in restaurants and taverns
  • This game may have more stores than any other Final Fantasy titles

• Like 1