New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Arkthur

I believe people who complain that Sony (or Microsoft or Nintendo or whomever) taking actions that will benefit themselves are shortsighted. Why should anyone else look out for them if they won't look out for themselves?

The problem in this case is Sony actually being competitive and the Hyper Inflation of game prices that tends to put a lot of potential consumers. In the case of the former, if the other two companies don't have this feature, then they will be seen as more competitive than Sony and so as such they will lose out on potential hardware sales (and thats the key here, hardware not software). Because with the latter, (especially if you look at the success of the wii), one of the things that hindered the PS3 sales wise initially was the high price point. If you then add high priced games, without any option of getting them cheaper, then more people will turn elsewhere. And so game shops won't purchase as much software and therefore Sony will lose money not only on software, but hardware too.

Wow, you're making an awfully broad assumption based on my beliefs without any facts to back it up.

My post wasn't about facts...

Like I said, I understand why they would want to, I just don't care for it. I buy a lot of my games new. I also still buy CDs new. (I always prefer the physical copy) but that's whatever. I am not particularly fond with Gamestop and its prices but it's nice to be able to find a game that you missed the first time around for a fraction of the cost.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. Also, I'm not young either (may be younger than you?) and I worked damn hard to get where I am today.

Edited by daftprophet

Here's the thing no one seems to be thinking about: This whole discussion is becoming less and less important as time goes on and digital sales become more prevalent, and with the next gen (PS5 or whatever), it will almost certainly be completely moot because everything will be download only.

So, argue while you can and enjoy used games while you can, because whether this is in the PS4 or not they're on borrowed time.

The problem in this case is Sony actually being competitive and the Hyper Inflation of game prices that tends to put a lot of potential consumers. In the case of the former, if the other two companies don't have this feature, then they will be seen as more competitive than Sony and so as such they will lose out on potential hardware sales (and thats the key here, hardware not software). Because with the latter, (especially if you look at the success of the wii), one of the things that hindered the PS3 sales wise initially was the high price point. If you then add high priced games, without any option of getting them cheaper, then more people will turn elsewhere. And so game shops won't purchase as much software and therefore Sony will lose money not only on software, but hardware too.

The "inflation of game prices" is a vastly overblown story and could be considered factually incorrect from certain points of view. Yes, games are more expensive than they were a generation ago.... but so is everything else on account of inflation and the erosion of the value of the U.S. Dollar. When you add those into the equation, many games are actually cheaper (in terms of constant, inflation-adjusted dollars) than they were 20 years ago.

Yes, this "lock" could make Sony less competitive.... but in a left-handed way it could also make them MORE competitive. What if the game designers decide they're going to take their properties to the PS4 precisely because it has this sort of feature that undermines the used game market, with the idea that they'll reap more in the way of profits? If Sony suddenly has a greater proportion of the titles people want to play as opposed to Microsoft and Nintendo, wouldn't that lead people who only purchase one console to strongly consider the PS4 even in spite of this patent?

One other thought to leave everybody with: What if it isn't Sony who was the genesis and driving force behind this "lock"? What if Sony put the resources into developing this as a response to feedback from the companies that create the games for their console? Think about it for a moment.... the used game market and its diversion of funds to locales such as GameStop almost certainly hit the bottom line of a software development company -- e.g. the late, unlamented 38 Studios -- far harder (in terms of percentages, not in raw dollars/yen/Euros) than it would Sony. Based on that, the software companies have more to gain from this patent.... but they might not have the resources to develop something that works. More than that, it's easier for those companies to farm out the process to Sony so that there's a single standard for everyone to work with and it can simply be included in a Development Kit that Sony licenses to whomever.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case.... but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, either.

look at what this news did to us... its making us turn on each other... damn you Sony :shakefist:

:awesome:

LOL... so actually its rumored that all 3 of the big video game companies (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) will all be doing this eventually... The fact is that we all are moving to a more digital age and the next generation will welcome it gladly...

read that again... ALL 3 companies!

It is true in fact that if one company does it solo that it would probably spell doom but its not the case... Sony just patented the tech to cash in on whoever wants to use its methods... and they have already used its methods with the Vita (best handheld in the world by the way... just needs more games)

im getting to be an old man and i will miss the old days of rentals and second hand games but in reality my life will go on... i have about 3 or 4 years worth of games sitting on my shelf and that number grows by the year so realistically i can actually not even buy the next gen and still have plenty of gaming to do... but thats not the issue... im more worried about the second hand market and what it will do to the economy when used games aren't sold anymore... it might not do anything but it could potentially put a lot of people out of work... but thats business... remember when there were tons of places to rent movies? Now its all about the red box or live streaming and a ton of businesses went under because of it... but again, thats business...

will i buy a PS4 if they use this tech? Most likely... I am a gamer after all ;)

It is in Sony's best interest to get people to buy games new and you better believe that they have the support from game developers everywhere... sure they will get hit with some hate but it will go away over time... I use to hate on Sony for stuff like that but i can't argue anymore and i can't expect Sony (or any other company for that matter) to stop trying to make money where they can on account of me.

LOL... so actually its rumored that all 3 of the big video game companies (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) will all be doing this eventually... The fact is that we all are moving to a more digital age and the next generation will welcome it gladly...

Maybe, but this patent is exclusive for discs, so, if implemented, this physical age is the one thats gonna see it first. I hope the games don't link to consoles, but If the game is linked to an account we have the problem of hackers. Like people already said, this may never happen anyway, but if does, I just wish they implement a good and reliable system.

Maybe, but this patent is exclusive for discs, so, if implemented, this physical age is the one thats gonna see it first. I hope the games don't link to consoles, but If the game is linked to an account we have the problem of hackers. Like people already said, this may never happen anyway, but if does, I just wish they implement a good and reliable system.

yeah, kinda like an advanced form of what they did with the Vita... maybe they just perfected it and are ready to cash in on the idea as soon as the big 3 feel like going in that direction... but the bottom line is that it is all speculation right now and we wont know until Sony has divulged such information... all we know is that they filed for the patent...

The second hand game is already dissapearing with the growing impact and influence of the digital download game.

Steam Sales, PS+, XBLA cheap games, indé development, freeware, doujin game etc...

For our PS3 and PSVita, the PS+ subscription was even a sort of test and it did work, there was like an increase of 90% of PSN user, going into PS+ subcription, means that anybody would jump at Digital Download game for free rather than Second Hand Game, it doesnt matter if it's a time-based game that make you think you only rent a game. Money is speaking and when you are really low of money, you have no choice but to jump at anything interesting. Besides, 17.99$/15€ to play about 12 new game for 3 months on both PS3 and PSVita is like more cleaver than spending hundred of dollars/euros on second hand game.

Well except that it do only concern more western game but well, anyone is easily attracted when something really cheap is near of his/her nose, right? :)

The "inflation of game prices" is a vastly overblown story and could be considered factually incorrect from certain points of view. Yes, games are more expensive than they were a generation ago.... but so is everything else on account of inflation and the erosion of the value of the U.S. Dollar. When you add those into the equation, many games are actually cheaper (in terms of constant, inflation-adjusted dollars) than they were 20 years ago.

True, however the issue is that (and while were in this economic rut) is that peoples salaries haven't been going up in line with said inflattion. And the usual reaction to people who have less money, is to spend less.

Yes, this "lock" could make Sony less competitive.... but in a left-handed way it could also make them MORE competitive. What if the game designers decide they're going to take their properties to the PS4 precisely because it has this sort of feature that undermines the used game market, with the idea that they'll reap more in the way of profits?

Possibly, but thats a BIG possibly, especially when you factor in the ever emerging smartphone market (not so much PC these days), that the big guns in the industry have to contend with. Some people may say there not a threat, sure hardcore gamers would stillby said console, and said game no matter what, but the average casual gamer, who has a smartphone, may head moreso in that direction.

In addition to the above, I mentioned that this high price point would be bad in combination with Sony usually high price point for its new consoles. The others companies, could still be competitive even if they included said technology, cuz there consoles would be cheaper, thus again making Sony overall less competitive.

Bottom line, this aint happening.

If Sony suddenly has a greater proportion of the titles people want to play as opposed to Microsoft and Nintendo, wouldn't that lead people who only purchase one console to strongly consider the PS4 even in spite of this patent?

Kinda addressed this above, despite that i doubt the above happening ever actually happening, Especially because most of the likes of ninty, whose games sell by the bucket and are made or at least published by ninty.