Outlast 2 has a platinum. What do you think?

snakebit10

4 hours ago, SectionHUN said:

I didn't say that.

So you meant the game isn't long enough to justify the price?  

I'm a cheap guy but $30 for a 5 hour story is pretty good considering you will be playing the game for weeks anyways trying to get a 100%. An example  of an overpriced game is Brothers which can be 100% in 2 hours for $20. Anyway it comes down to how much you enjoyed it. Rather pay 30 for a good game than 10 for a bad one. 

Dear God. 

I will defo wait for other people doing plat. before even buying this game. 

I'm kinda weird player in matter of horror games. 

I was scared playing Alien Isolation, i can play RE VII hardly few minutes on my pc and then quit lol. 

I haven't fully completed first game even. Funny staff - i like horror games although can't play them for too long. 

If it won't be hard as all You friends are saying i will go for it but if it will be UR plat i may completely pass on the game. 

Good luck for players not being chicken as myself.

7 hours ago, DangerSpice said:

Hey there, I work at a game developer (which has released a couple games for VR), so I thought I'd provide a different perspective here.

Red Barrels is an indie dev (only 12 people when they announced the project), so it's entirely possible they couldn't afford to delay the game another 6-12 months to add VR support. It had already been delayed from Fall 2016 to Q1, and then again to Q2. Further delaying for VR integration is a tough call to make when they don't have other projects to help fund their ongoing development of this one.

The other (potentially more important, if funding isn't an issue for them) point is that you can't just tack VR onto a game to make it a good VR game. VR can be this incredibly immersive, robust experience that's unlike anything else you can play...but games have to be designed for it. Really simple things, like having a light turn on in the distance of a traditional game, your eyes are drawn to it. You can have a fixed camera angle, forcing the player to look at something you want them to see. That's not possible in VR, because player agency is more important than when holding a controller and playing on a TV. If you weren't looking in the direction of the light when it turned on, and then you turned and saw it, was it always on? If you're not sure, you might not be drawn to it in the same way. There are best practices that VR devs are learning (audio cues are huge), but that doesn't mean you can just add VR support to a game and have it be good.

VR also doesn't do well with fast movement (locomotion), and with Outlast having many sequences where you're running at top speed away from enemies, I'm not sure it would translate so well without major game design adjustments. Resident Evil 7 actually has some issues with translation, as well. Don't get me wrong, RE7 is a very good game, and still probably the best example of horror in VR, but it's still clear that it wasn't a game designed for VR. When you get on a ladder, crouch, or enter some cutscenes, the screen abruptly jumps or does a quick fade to black. It's a good way of handling the porting to VR given the alternative (motion sickness), but it's still not as ideal as if the game was designed first or exclusively for VR, and those compromises wouldn't have to be made because it would have been designed so those transitions wouldn't need to happen in the first place.

We're still in the infancy of VR, and I think there'll be a lot of "a-ha!" moments in the coming year or two, where developers figure out a solution to some of those problems and that solution becomes the norm. Remember when many earlier 3D games had tank controls, because we didn't (as a collective industry) know better?

Long story short, I'm both a big horror fan and a big VR fan, and I'm very excited to start Outlast 2 this week. That said, I think the only way Outlast 2 should have come to VR is if the devs thought it was the right decision for their game, which it looks like they didn't, and I can totally understand why.

Thanks for the professional perspective on that topic. You're right, being an Indy publisher, financial realities might be an oppressive factor for them... although, considering the truly *wild* success of Outlast? I'd like to think they had the cash on hand that releasing the sequel ASAP wasn't a necessity. 

When it comes to quickly translating to VR? Doesn't Unreal Engine provide pretty decent support there? If you have all the assets/maps already drawn out, and a game in 3D, *and* in first person, no less, isn't it a pretty "not so bad" process to transform those resources/3D world into VR supportable? 

I mean, I look at a game like Dying: Reborn. They clearly just tacked on last minute VR support to "cash in" on the craze, managing to translate about half of their content to VR in likely what was only a matter of weeks - largely, I would imagine, because the "major" game engines most devs build around are pretty friendly when it comes to supporting VR releases.

Likewise, and I can't believe this, but I see Red Barrel used Unreal 3 for Outlast 2?!? That's incredible to me, because the lighting effects and whatnot are outstanding in Outlast 2. Really, an awesome looking game - Red Barrel must've made a few "tweaks", because Outlast 2 stands apart from the crowd in the realism of the graphics, IMO. However, my reason for bringing this up just now? I expect the game would've needed to be built in Unreal 4 to take advantage of VR. So, now doing a little research, it appears as though that, because they chose to keep using what they were familiar with in going with a customized modified Unreal 3 over Unreal 4, that VR might *not* have been an option at all.

I would guess they'd have needed to convert all their assets to Unreal 4 to exploit VR, which, since they are using their own modified Unreal 3 Engine, would've been next to an impossibility. Still, quite a shame.

I suppose I'm just ridiculously desperate for *anything* in my gaming niche/horrorish to utilize VR. Half a year on from the PSVR, and the outlook for horror or supernatural based adventure games on VR is incredibly dim. I just wish *any* devs would exploit the incredible possibilities VR offers -and RE7 showed to be even crazier than one could've hoped when done right- much as I'm sure you yourself realize/understand, as another VR advocate who also works on the "other side of things." 

Hopefully, in another year to 18 months, when more major releases catch up to starting development when the PSVR came out and the realization that it sold well enough that there would be an audience to support releasing VR content, we will start to see an avalanche of VR games (and hopefully, nothing like a PS5, will disrupt that forthcoming VR releases). 

Because .. VR, even at this nascent stage with underwhelming resolution on the visual displays, is just *that* good. (Seriously, folks - if you don't have it yet, try it out. You'll buy it in an instant. It revolutionized gaming in ways I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.)

3 hours ago, Nakurwiator91 said:

Dear God. 

I will defo wait for other people doing plat. before even buying this game. 

I'm kinda weird player in matter of horror games. 

I was scared playing Alien Isolation, i can play RE VII hardly few minutes on my pc and then quit lol. 

I haven't fully completed first game even. Funny staff - i like horror games although can't play them for too long. 

If it won't be hard as all You friends are saying i will go for it but if it will be UR plat i may completely pass on the game. 

Good luck for players not being chicken as myself.

No offense, but you *are* going to end up passing on the game, then. Because it definitively, undoubtedly, absolutely *will* be an UR plat, it isn't even a question. Look at the numbers on Outlast 1's Insane Run trophy. Well, this is even harder (by a factor of infinity) than that! Outlast 1 was shorter, didn't have nearly as much randomization in its AI NPCs, *and* it even has glitches to avoid the bulk of the hardest parts. 

This is going to be a Plat next to no one will ever get. You not only can't make a single mistake in an entire one shot run, but you have to do so largely being blind with a screen of blackened darkness. 

But just because the Plat is going to be an UR, I'd still strongly recommend getting Outlast 2. Its a decent enough title, so you'd really be missing out all because of trophy realities. 

On 2017-04-26 at 10:21 AM, Coladar said:

And thanks for the list of upcoming horror titles - I'll be checking them all out, without a doubt! If nothing else, even if it isn't exactly my taste in horror/supernatural, I feel it is important to support the genre that devs realize there is an audience for the genre, and continue creating new titles and experiences to fill that supernatural horror niche.

You can google Perception and check gameplay videos. Just now a video with release date was uploaded it is to release 30th May this year.

I just finished my second run on Nightmare (training for insane ?)...All I have left to do is Insane, Insane No Batteries, Speedrun and the Microphone for 20 minutes...The first three trophies should (if I manage to do that) pop toghether at the end of insane run; But there's a quick way to do the Microphone trophy?

Thx in advance

6 minutes ago, malandrins94 said:

I just finished my second run on Nightmare (training for insane 1f622.png)...All I have left to do is Insane, Insane No Batteries, Speedrun and the Microphone for 20 minutes...The first three trophies should (if I manage to do that) pop toghether at the end of insane run; But there's a quick way to do the Microphone trophy?

Thx in advance

I tried doing it while inspecting a document since power doesnt drain when you are inspecting stuff but it didnt pop after 20 minutes so i had to use 7 batteries in total to get that trophy. 3 minutes per battery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

I tried doing it while inspecting a document since power doesnt drain when you are inspecting stuff but it didnt pop after 20 minutes so i had to use 7 batteries in total to get that trophy. 3 minutes per battery.

So in total I need to use 7 batteries, thank you for the info :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, malandrins94 said:

I just finished my second run on Nightmare (training for insane 1f622.png)...All I have left to do is Insane, Insane No Batteries, Speedrun and the Microphone for 20 minutes...The first three trophies should (if I manage to do that) pop toghether at the end of insane run; But there's a quick way to do the Microphone trophy?

Thx in advance

You should focus first on the most difficult trophies! Them That Hath Ears is easy to do like Proper Penance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malandrins94 said:

Ended my insane run/no batteries at the second encounter with "Arrow" 1f629.png Made a mistake while running and got killed...I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

I plan to start my suffering tomorrow immediately after i finish my second nightmare run. Been checking speedruns of the game but havent seen anything that can benefit in getting the 2 insane trophies.

3 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Yeah and he did it in impressive fashion getting all colectibles aswell =P

Many people suffer from anxiety crises which makes it difficult to overcome certain challenges in games! I know 2 people who can't pass insane mode on O1 precisely for this reason. I'm currently trying to plat MEA, later I'm going to train a little while i get certain trophies, I know there are times when you need cold blood but i've already said that stubbornness always wins!
One stupid thing that happened to me was to die in the church (when you try to escape the pursuers and then you have to open a door, I didn't make any mistakes and they managed to kill me before entering the door. After the checkpoint i did the same thing and i pass that part! i don't know if it was a BUG but something strange happened there ..

2 minutes ago, Sakura_p789cs said:

This video will help a lot of people, keep playing at the highest level :)

4 minutes ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

Many people suffer from anxiety crises which makes it difficult to overcome certain challenges in games! I know 2 people who can't pass insane mode on O1 precisely for this reason. I'm currently trying to plat MEA, later I'm going to train a little while i get certain trophies, I know there are times when you need cold blood but i've already said that stubbornness always wins!
One stupid thing that happened to me was to die in the church (when you try to escape the pursuers and then you have to open a door, I didn't make any mistakes and they managed to kill me before entering the door. After the checkpoint i did the same thing and i pass that part! i don't know if it was a BUG but something strange happened there ..

Yeah i had some enemies beeing so much faster then me sometimes i think its a bug or something, And is your stamina lower on nightmare/insane?

5 minutes ago, Sakura_p789cs said:

Thanks! Gz on the plat!

8 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Yeah i had some enemies beeing so much faster then me sometimes i think its a bug or something, And is your stamina lower on nightmare/insane?

No i'm playing on nightmare ,it's the same as insane but you have checkpoints.

Spoiler

And before arriving at the mines, in the part where you need to pick up a rope, I passed through an enemy who was in front of me and he didn't touch me.
I told myself : "wtf dude" ?? lol

6 hours ago, Sakura_p789cs said:

You got very lucky at the end, you ran from Marta so fast. If you go fast there she has a habit of turning around and going into your oncoming path. Major props for getting all the collectibles as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry94_ said:

You got very lucky at the end, you ran from Marta so fast. If you go fast there she has a habit of turning around and going into your oncoming path. Major props for getting all the collectibles as well!

Hi Harry!For Marta's part in Genesis you helped me a lot!Thanks!?

Not for Marta in the end,from the end of Job Chapter i'm sure its very lucky for me to run!

Because i....died for Marta in Genesis & 3 guys in the field for about 40 tries,Job for 10 tries.

Anyway,Thank you four your Speedrun Video!

1 hour ago, Harry94_ said:

Hi Harry!For Marta's part in Genesis you helped me a lot!Thanks!?

Not for Marta in the end,from the end of Job Chapter i'm sure its very lucky for me to run!

Because i....died for Marta in Genesis & 3 guys in the field for about 40 tries,Job for 10 tries.

Anyway,Thank you four your Speedrun Video!

• Like 1