Banner Saga Vita-version officially canceled

crimsonidol38

From the publisher's official blog

It has been some time since our last update with the community on the progress of the Banner Saga port to the Vita. Unfortunately, after much work and resources, we’ve decided to cancel the project and will not be bringing the Banner Saga franchise to PS Vita. The project’s been in development for over two years now with significant effort from Stoic, Versus Evil, Sony and some other external studios trying to help us get it on the platform.

[...]

Main reason why the port was canceled is the fact that the game's engine seems to rather unique in some regards and the game had serious performance issues while running on the Vita:

Specifically, the unique nature of the engine work needed to get the game running on Vita required the game being playable on Vita, making it virtually impossible to do normal testing throughout the process. Once we did get the game running, we ran into significant performance snags that eventually led to the final decision; we need to suspend development. This was a hard decision to make for all parties, but it was mutual across the board.

Source: http://versusevil.com/news/banner_saga_vita_update/

More details can be found in the linked blog post.

10 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I thought it had already been canceled. Oh well, I can't say I'm surprised.

Nope, it wasn't canceled before. Didn't do a long search but at least up until January they said that they still work on the port:

Maybe you can mixed it up with some other games where devs hinted or announced Vita-version that never got released. *cough* Pier Solar *cough*.

3 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Nope, it wasn't canceled before. Didn't do a long search but at least up until January they said that they still work on the port:

Maybe you can mixed it up with some other games where devs hinted or announced Vita-version that never got released. *cough* Pier Solar *cough*.

Well, being a pessimistic Vita owner, I tend to assume ports that have no news for 3+ months are unofficially canceled.

I do find it weird that even now, the developers are using the term "suspended", which in education and sports implies a temporary thing. The beginning of the post says it is canceled, then the rest of it walks that back a bit to imply the game could get finished at some point. Why can't they just say "canceled and buried" so we don't have false hope? :P

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, being a realistic Vita owner, I tend to assume ports that have no news for 3+ months are unofficially canceled.

FIFY

There were way too many devs who announced or promised Vita-ports and didn't stick to that, so it's always a good idea to not keep your hope up high for any of those ports. I have experience in that.

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Why can't they just say "canceled and buried" so we don't have false hope? :P

I just checked and the publisher is US-based so I would assume that they know the meaning of the words they use. But I guess we can assume that the port is gone for good.

^? I will still continue on believing that Cosmic Star Heroine will have a PSV version.

*sigh* I was patiently waiting for the Vita version of this game. Been waiting to play this game since it was announce that it will be on PSN... Looks like I will have to play it on PS4.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I'm not really surprised. Just like this game is not really for phones, it's not really for Vita.

Vita has too small screen for this game.

Unless one would play on Vita TV and in that case, there wouldn't be any difference anyway.

Did we go to some strange timeline where satoshi is against bringing games to the vita? And for graphics? This is the darkest timeline.

It's a shame. More games for the vita are always welcome, even if they're just ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kuuhaku said:

Did we go to some strange timeline where satoshi is against bringing games to the vita?

Of course, if it's not Japanese game, it must NOT be on Vita :awesome: 

2 hours ago, kuuhaku said:

And for graphics?

Not graphics per se. The size of controls. The game has crapload of menus and submenus. It's a hell to control it on small screen =D

• 11 months later...
On 20/07/2017 at 8:44 PM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Of course, if it's not Japanese game, it must NOT be on Vita :awesome: 

Not graphics per se. The size of controls. The game has crapload of menus and submenus. It's a hell to control it on small screen =D

Just wanted to say, I've been playing Banner Saga 1 on the Switch now (which is why I'm going through its threads here) and it's not really a bother to play on a small screen, actually it's still quite easy and everything is still readable. There's not really that many menu's (yet) either, just loads of icons on screen with stats and stuff.

I also think it's pretty close to Japanese games, actually. Well, I haven't seen any girls yet, teenage or otherwise, but other than that it's pretty much half visual novel, half turn based tactical RPG, with giants and men living together. Sounds pretty Japanese to me.