Is This Game Completely Overrated?

I’ll be the contrarian here I guess in that, after having played the game when it initially came out (and enjoying it), I am now enjoying my GOTY Edition replay. Yes, there are some things that make the game irritating at times, and it’s not without its faults, but those aside it’s a pretty fun game to play. The game can make you feel like a total badass when you’re one ranger against a seemingly never-ending supply of Orcs. If you’re just trying to blow through it as fast as humanly possible I can see how it might get tiresome to regularly have wandering captains showing up while you’re trying to get things done, and the endless sea of Orcs you have to fight can at times be a bit much, but if you step back and just let the game happen it can really be quite fun.

The Nemesis stuff is interesting, and as you progress through the game and gain the ability to manipulate the Orc command hierarchy it can be quite fun to mess around and control the bulk of Sauron’s army. The trophies aren’t particularly difficult or time consuming, and some are actually fun to complete logistically. In some ways I prefer trying to brand 5 bodyguards and then have them kill their warchief as opposed to running around for hours collecting animus fragments, or feathers, etc.

To each their own and all that.

Edited by Swotam
Typos

I've started it lately to get the online trophy, and the combat really gets better once it opens up. The problem is that you're started in the ugliest area in the game, and at night it's just a hideous mess of black and brown. That, and the controls are stiff by modern standards, even compared to later AC entries.
Overall I'm not super blown away or anything, but it does improve and it's not a very long game either so at least it won't eat up too much time.

I'm about halfway through the main game now and I'm having a good time with it... but I'm shouting at my TV ever 2 minutes because Talion will jump up/off a building in a direction I'm not moving and the triangle and x combat counters just straight up not working at times. Thing that's annoyed me the most though is when I'm trying to stealth clear strongholds and I'll press triangle to attract someone or circle to drop down a ledge and then Talion goes flying at someone behind him that I couldn't see even though there wasn't a prompt for it. When it works properly though I think it's a decent game and definitely worth the £10-15 you can pick it up for now.

• Like 1

I had wanted to play this game for a while so when I saw that the servers are going to shut down at the end of next month, i thought I'd better buy it now. Honestly, I'm not enjoying the game at all. It feel bland and 'done before'. It's a very standard sandbox 'shopping list' with little to distinguish it from hundreds of other 'shopping list' games. The movement mechanics are frustratingly clunky, the combat is deeply irritating and the story is very bare bones. I hate the way that every time you get into combat, you quickly end up swamped in an unmanageable tide of orks. I hate how repetitive and grindy finding intel, killing bodyguards and killing or branding warchiefs feels. I hate some of the random skills that the warchiefs have, especially healing. I hate the way they run away and I'm too slow to catch them. 

I just had my branded warchief killed by another warchief who was five levels lower after I had killed all his men and he then ran away so I'm left with no branded warchiefs. The thought of starting the whole process again makes me feel a bit sick! 

Yes, I hate this game but don't want to be left with another half finished game so will try and complete it! 

I just got the Plat after 76 hours and i wanted to share my 50 cents ?

As everyone else i started this for the Online stuff and because it had been in my backlog forever.

But i had to put my full thoughts into a spoiler sorry

And a tl;dr "too long didn't read" doesn't exist.. I can't keep it short sorry. 

And sorry again if i use the comma wrong or if i word some stuff poorly... I try my best with English  :)

So i personally really liked this game and i enjoyed every minute. I should've started this earlier

Granted I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan and never haven been. Never seen a movie nor was ever interested in the Story (i always liked star wars) Tho i know Gollum and the "meme face dance" of Gandalf. 

Anyway, the gameplay is amazing imo. Slashing off Uruks heads with executions is just fun and satisfying, or being surrounded by so many enemies that you begin to get nervous. Goes hand in hand and feels Smooth even tho i often messed up the Triangle sequence hehe. 

Teleporting yourself with L2 and Square is amaziiiing too and then killing anyone around me in one go is just cool :D

And riding a garagor is really fun too (i love biting enemies) and the huge ass Graugs are just complete annihilation against anyone basically lol

After all i never got bored of anything in particular.

I also had all collectibles etc before even finishing the Story, so no problems there too. 

Sure animations can feel a "little" stiff or repetitive for some people, but c'mon this game is from 2014...

You gotta give it some credit.

It holds up incredibly well in my opinion. Still looks awesome too, at least on my Ps4 Pro in 4k. The raining effects had me go "wow" 

The story is whatever but it kept me playing and that's what counts. You don't play these games for story 

There are only a few things i can criticize

• You can't see your own level. That means you're a bit lost in the beginning because you can't compare yourself to enemies but you automatically do that in games like these (or at least i did)

You never have any clue on who to fight and who you shouldn't fight yet. You only figure out later that ur Level doesn't even matter and that enemy levels only compare to possible runes you could get. 

• You can get overpowered in the beginning...

I was just running around killing things, side missions and occasionally doing Story stuff not knowing there was a 2nd Area..?

When i got there i already had most Skills, deep into level 5 and progression was fuc*** for me ? I finished mission after mission and basically got nothing...Worthless XP.

Conclusion is i barely died and never had any bigger problems... Well except for the dlcs. 

I just wished that certain skills were locked to Story progression, just as they did it for the yellow skills that were locked for completing certain missions.

• Also the fact that you can't restart missions was and is annoying! Who the hell thought of implementing side missions but there is no way of redoing them??

I always had to run back like an Idiot because you alerted someone back in China (who can't even see you, but somehow he did) or u killed the wrong guy in a wrong way.

Only thing that pissed me off a lot

But Now into the DLC's hehe

Edit Okay Whoever thought it was a good idea to create the "Lord of the Ring" achievement is an ******* ! 

That's just, eh...

So i just saw a Video where it showed an easy method running around with a Graug, then killing all captains and making the other warchiefs allies.. Well meh.

You basically have to rely on this method because it's nearly impossible doing it without. That sucks a little but it was doable in the end and that's what counts

Edit 2 okay talking about doable - I gave up on 100% this game...

Fuck that. The last trophy in the second dlc is awful and i never came close to finishing it no matter the method and i tried many. 

Oh well, I'm glad with the stuff i got done i don't need 100% ?

Edited by Pendaemonium
Edited some things *again* for easier readability
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

since this thread is brought up again,so I just comment my opinions..

once I heard that this game server will be shutdown at end of year so I quickly bought an used copy of this game after I watched the gameplay much like assassin creed + batman arkham, so i guess it should be ok... I played it for few hours to get my online trophy and progress more on main missions,found out it is completely overrated rubbish game...why? here my summary:

PROS:

way too many cons xD

CONS:

- ground execution(dizzy symbol on enemies) animation should be invincible or just like batman arkham series,press the exceution button,flashy finishing move which is enough

- combat execution(>8 combos in order to perform) , how the hell on earth you need combo to perform execution,poor game design

- 1 vs 20 enemies at once, some with heavy armor,some with spiky guard along with annoying archers....

- additional to previous point, enemy even calling reinforcement and make the battle into 1 vs 50, just act like unlimited fight battles

- stealth mission should not be mandatory,if you get caught during mission,should turn the stealth mission into battle mission, fight to survive

I dont get how this game can have GOTY edition,completely overrated rubbish piece of junk

• Like 1

The overrated part surely comes from the idea of the nemesis system. Back in the day, people were amazed how revolutionary it was and such. But since the focus was on that, I feel like everything else is forgotten. 

My biggest gameplay cons:

- The game feels clunky especially with how with the world and running/sneaking. I got stuck on props way more then I like. 

- the spammy nature of ogre's as in that they just throw them at you until you die. 

General opinion: I liked it. I can see that this game would be more appreciated back in 2014. Now it just seems and feels outdated a bit. 

I've been finding this game to be pretty fun honestly! And I don't even like Lord of the Rings (although after playing this I now wanna get into the lore lol) it definitely can be annoying when you get bombarded with enemies, when archer captains have explosive arrows and rapid fire which is basically instant death, and the no chance strength can certainly ruin run-throughs of Test of the Wild, but other than that it feels really good chopping off a war chief's head after he shitted on you twice. Definitely having fun with this back-to-back 100% with both PS4 versions. I just might even find me a PS3 copy to do one day.

Edited by PatinumNumemon