Steam achievements and how ridiculous they are.

aZombieDictator

2 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

I've got 7 of those Platinums/100% on PlayStation but nice. I highly doubt I'll ever game on PC again.

You shouldn't let that put you off, it just makes the achievements meaningless, but there will always be games you won't be able to play elsewhere, admittedly I only use PC for stuff like C and C, but games like Terraria are way better on it too. Also this topic looks like it will change into you rating people's trophy lists lol.

2 hours ago, PixelatedPortal said:

I enjoy it but it doesn't feel that worth it since some of those game only have 11 achievements and everybody else can get 10k from 99 cents games

but as I said it depends on the value you give to it thaat's why I try to avoid easy spam games (I do have some 100%s on easy games but nowhere on the level of 100-10k achievements)

100% on spelunky is impressive, I've sunk hours into that game and i;m sure its got craploads more to offer.

Edited by Superbuu3

3 hours ago, PixelatedPortal said:

Thanks c:

I like to think I am good at games

I like to think I'm good too.

But I'm actually just average at every game lol. But if rather be good at hundreds of games, than be amazing in a few.

3 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

You shouldn't let that put you off, it just makes the achievements meaningless, but there will always be games you won't be able to play elsewhere, admittedly I only use PC for stuff like C and C, but games like Terraria are way better on it too. Also this topic looks like it will change into you rating people's trophy lists lol.

Well there's a lot of reasons I can't stand PC gaming. Not just the achievement thing. And there's really no PC exclusives that interest me. And lol who knows, I'm not really that good at rating lists. I just like to observe people's profiles.

6 minutes ago, PixelatedPortal said:

I get that, wish I had more stuff that could prove I am good

I don't mind being bad at games. But I have enough skill to make any game I play fun at least :P

You can tell I'm not the greatest at games but at least I have fun. I'm sure I could get really good at any game if I tried hard enough and didn't have anger issues, but that's just not any fun for me.

1 minute ago, aZombieDictator said:

I don't mind being bad at games. But I have enough skill to make any game I play fun at least :P

You can tell I'm not the greatest at games but at least I have fun. I'm sure I could get really good at any game if I tried hard enough and didn't have anger issues, but that's just not any fun for me.

Hah I get that yet in my case I find a lot of satisfaction in overcoming stuff like spelunky or nuclear throne

On 11/3/2017 at 8:30 PM, Superbuu3 said:

There certainly should be a limit to how many achievements a game has. I think sony having a hard limit on base game trophies being around 1000-1200 points is a good starting point. Although for it to be taken seriously it needs to also have a limit to stop games having platinums for 10 minutes of gameplay. I can see why they don't care, but it does bug me a little bit when it sounds like some devs were opposed by sony to even gettinga  platinum trophy on their game then joke games get a platinum.

If they're giving away a dollar a plat in their rewards program, they might start caring now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If a company like Steam or Sony want to uphold a legitimate and "serious" achievement/trophy system then they have to limit or ax things like this. It devalues a ton of the effort placed in these games and the enjoyment received by players. On one hand, I feel like "hunting" has certainly taken some of the positivity out of the community when it comes to some games, it's still a unique and interesting system that gives us a little more tangible pleasure from things we do. Gives a little more weight to these digital things we purchase for enjoyment. Games like "Mayo" on Ps4 are funny, sure but when there's possibly 20 or more of those types that give Platinum trophies then it also debunks the leveling system that comes with trophies. Vice-versa for any other system that has these two things linked. I'm just happy that these systems don't contain loot boxes or have connections with other cosmetic changes for our accounts or profiles. Then it would become another issue too.

In my opinion, it should NEVER be allowed for developers to make games purely to level up or give away trophies or other "achievement" type things. That's just not right. These are consoles and gaming platforms. We're not paying for achievements, trophies, ect and that was never the intent for these "trophy" systems. We shouldn't have to, they should be secondary pleasures for the enjoyment we pay upfront for.

Edited by blankmar

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, Superbuu3 said:

Strategy games like Civilization 6, SimCity and the older Microsoft games (Age of Empires II, Age of Wonders) will always be superior on PC. A controller simply doesn't have the range and ability that a mouse and keyboard does for strategy games.

There's a lot of older PC games from the 1990s that never got ported to any of the consoles, but they're available via Steam so a retro guy like myself gets a bit of enjoyment and nostalgia out of them.

But there's no way in hell I'm going after hundreds/thousands of achievements from one strategy game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

There's a lot of older PC games from the 1990s that never got ported to any of the consoles, but they're available via Steam so a retro guy like myself gets a bit of enjoyment and nostalgia out of them.

Last year I played the entire Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series and had to spend hours downloading and researching things to even get them to work. I'm not bad at it, the games were simply too old and not optimized in the slightest. Mysteries of the Sith didn't even come with the soundfiles, so no wonder I had trouble getting bgm to work. I'm not devaluing PC, but as the years have gone by I'm seeing Steam as an incresingly negative influence to it. These are not some glory days of Diablo II anymore, or when games like Morrowind came with construction kit. The achievement situation, cards and the fact they sell ancient games that don't even work on modern operation systems without fans fixing them or creating emulators to run them have really put a damper on my will to use that service.

5 hours ago, mecharobot said:

Last year I played the entire Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series and had to spend hours downloading and researching things to even get them to work. I'm not bad at it, the games were simply too old and not optimized in the slightest. Mysteries of the Sith didn't even come with the soundfiles, so no wonder I had trouble getting bgm to work. I'm not devaluing PC, but as the years have gone by I'm seeing Steam as an incresingly negative influence to it. These are not some glory days of Diablo II anymore, or when games like Morrowind came with construction kit. The achievement situation, cards and the fact they sell ancient games that don't even work on modern operation systems without fans fixing them or creating emulators to run them have really put a damper on my will to use that service.

A lot of the games were compatible with Windows XP when they were released. You could make say the Command & Conquer games that were released circa 1999 run on the Windows system.

The problem I have is Steam has been given a whole ton of junk, much of which doesn't even work regardless of what system you're on and much of which is shovelware. At least the PSN Store has a sort of standard it still lives up on, even with crap like Solbrain and My Name is Mayo passing through.

With old games at least I know they can work. Diablo II was one of my favorite PC games from the early 2000s, I've had at least four characters run through the last Act on the third run, which enemies are tougher but drop more valuable loot. Morrowind was pretty good too, and at the time in the 2000s it was a very vast and expansive world with lots of opportunities and customization options.

These days you have to be at least somewhat aware of the computer specs needed to run the modern games on Steam, such as Call of Duty WWII and even Grand Theft Auto V. Buying a computer at the local Best Buy probably isn't going to run that game as well as you wanted.

And sadly a lot of modern games on Steam have bought into the microtransaction, lootbox bullshit where it's not simply a matter of having expansion packs anymore, it's about how much money you're willing to pay for extra DLC and such.