Battlefront 2 PS4 scores 0.9 on Metacritic

You

The Matacritic scores for the XBone and PC versions have been opened and I suspect the meta bombing has begun. XBone version opens in at 0.4. LOL.

There is also a review from a website reviewer that gave the game a 40, which is the first "red" review. I guess the "official" review rating of this game is luckily to stay within the 70s.

2 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Stuff 

I agree completely. I don't think the loot boxes count as what currently can be called gambling, doesn't mean I don't think that it should. As I said, in the strictest sense it's a game of chance since the outcome is random and it's gambling since you pay real money for this game of chance. But this is just the mathematician in me speaking.

I again want to reiterate that I think the multiplayer model is not nearly the only thing wrong with the game, and with EA in general. But I have long since come to terms with multiplayer shooter and sports appealing to the masses, and if this is what it takes to have Disney pull the Star Wars exclusive rights from EA then I'm all for.

• Like 1

They listen to players, they remove the microtransactions... but still they’ll bring them back anyway... All their responses and actions are biased and liars! Not really what the people wanted, they simply want these gambling craps removed forever!

What I hear often is that people want cosmetics only than gameplay tweaks... yeah but do you realize that people paying those slot machines are the source of the problem we’re facing for years?!?! Look at Destiny 2, Shadow of War, NBA2K 18, Overwatch, NFS Payback (such ironic title!)... I can name hundreds of them!

As an activist against microtransactions, I say that EA should keep their gamblings out of BF2 and future games. People are really tired of this shitty practice and they want them entirely gone!!! Remember when EA was the origin of the bullshit Online Passes because publishers said that it was against “piracy”? But in reality, they tried to kill off the retailers selling used games. That was another nonsense way to get more money!

EA and other companies must understand something: you better do quality games and listen to your player base. If you don’t, your games deserve to fail! And BF2 deserves the bad reputation and anger from the customers! Gamers have enough of all vicious back-and-fourth greedy practices those corporations try to throw at people’s throat and they think it’s okay.

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

The Matacritic scores for the XBone and PC versions have been opened and I suspect the meta bombing has begun. XBone version opens in at 0.4. LOL.

There is also a review from a website reviewer that gave the game a 40, which is the first "red" review. I guess the "official" review rating of this game is luckily to stay within the 70s.

I was already starting to think those PC/X1 user reviews would not be opened...

... Loving the PC user review saying you can "play as Loot Skywalker in Credit Card Wars: Gamble Front 2". It's one thing to hate these practices, it's another to be witty about it. And I love punning.

16 minutes ago, Maxie Mouse said:

They listen to us, they removed the microtransactions but still they’ll bring them back eventually. All their responses and communications are biased and liars! Not really what the people wanted, they simply want these gambling craps removed forever!

People can ask for cosmetics only than gameplay tweaks... yeah but do you realize that people paying those slot machines are the source of the problem we’re facing for years?!?!

As an activist against microtransactions, I say that EA should keep their gamblings out of BF2 and future games. People are really tired of this shitty practice and they want them entirely gone!!! Remember when EA was the origin of the bullshit Online Passes because they wanted to kill off the retailers selling used games? That was another nonsense way to get more money!

EA and other companies must understand something: you better do quality games and listen to your player base. If you don’t, your games deserve to fail! And BF2 deserves the bad reputation and anger from the customers!

I'm not as against microtransactions as you are but we only have to look at the Assassin's Creed series to see the truth behind your last paragraph. Assassin's Creed Origins still has microtransactions just like Unity and Syndicate, yet it's much more popular because the microtransactions never get in the way of people who want to game and because Origins is simply a better game than most of the other Assassin's Creed games.

Battlefront II would not have been getting so much hate if the non-cosmetic microtransactions were limited to single player, if multiplayer had a levelling system that wasn't insanely bent on having people spend real money, and if the single player campaign had actually been given some thought and wasn't a tacked-on mess.

14 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

I bet that is what exactly happened. Usually EA ignores all the fan outrage on shit from their games but since Star Wars is just a borrowed IP from Disney.

I feel like Disney was like "What the fuck, why are people talking shit about the new Star Wars game? What did you do? This is a PR Nightmare, FIX THIS BEFORE IT DAMAGES THE BRAND!!"

WGcJSAc.gif

Loving that gif.

Edited by Cubone
typo
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Maxie Mouse said:

Snipped righteous anger!

I like your righteous anger Mr Mouse. (How have Disney not caught up with YOU, by the way? xD)

I've been noticing a trend recently, where more and more "AAA" games seem like they are being phoned in, making the most innoffensive, mass market, mass revenue games that they can be. When was the last big innovation in game genres? Probably all the way back with AC mixing up what an open world game could be? 

I've been having a tonne more fun with indies, these days. That's where interesting games are being made right now. "AAA" is seemingly more and more bloated budget, big spectacle, low risk, drole. 

Edit: Breath of the Wild might also be a innovation, I suppose, but I haven't tried it. Lots of raving out SM:O at the moment too, though that seems less innovative to me. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

4 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

I like your righteous anger Mr Mouse. (How have Disney not caught up with YOU, by the way? xD)

I've been noticing a trend recently, where more and more "AAA" games seem like they are being phoned in, making the most innoffensive, mass market, mass revenue games that they can be. When was the last big innovation in game genres? Probably all the way back with AC mixing up what an open world game could be? 

I've been having a tonne more fun with indies, these days. That's where interesting games are being made right now. "AAA" is seemingly more and more bloated budget, big spectacle, low risk, drole. 

Edit: Breath of the Wild might also be a innovation, I suppose, but I haven't tried it. Lots of raving out SM:O at the moment too, though that seems less innovative to me. 

Zelda was pretty innovative for a Zelda game, though honestly it wasn't doing much what hasn't been done before, it was just cherry picking a lot of good stuff from all kinds of games.

Mario wasn't as much innovative as it was a celebration of the idea that Super Mario 64 had about 3D platform games. Odyssey is basically what 64 would be like if it had been made today.

Both games are great though, and breathe some fresh air into their franchises, both of which were kind of stuck in a rut.

I really feel like Ubisoft should be mentioned in answer to your post. Whilethey have made some annoying mistakes in the past, Ifeel like they're doing very good right now and they're honestly trying to change things up for the better.

I agree on the indie market being amazing right now. The Switch makes me experiment more than the PS4 did (since the ratio on the new Switch is much more in favour of indies) and I just loved finally playing Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge and Stardew Valley, as well as seeing a bunch of unique stuff like Death Squared, Snipperclips, Blub Boy...

Out of the big AAA companies, I still (or once again) trust Nintendo and Ubisoft to make stuff I'll enjoy, while generally appreciating Rockstar, Rocksteady and Bethesda. Other than that, I don't know any more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I'm not as against microtransactions as you are but we only have to look at the Assassin's Creed series to see the truth behind your last paragraph. Assassin's Creed Origins still has microtransactions just like Unity and Syndicate, yet it's much more popular because the microtransactions never get in the way of people who want to game and because Origins is simply a better game than most of the other Assassin's Creed games.

Of course they had to bring back those crap Helix currency after two years...

I remember how the spectacular backlash Unity got with all the bugs/glitches, the Companion App crap grind to unlocn many short yet easy money and armour parts in-game, the suits only unlockabke through Initiates website and it took an eternity at launch... and of course introduced those Helix microtransaction currency! And the most insulting it got a Season Pass! xD Gladly, Ubisoft made the Companion App, the Initiates website completely useless and made the Dead King DLC Free! xD

Edited by Maxie Mouse

1 minute ago, Maxie Mouse said:

Of course they had to bring back those crap Helix currency after two years...

I remember how the spectacular backlash Unity got with all the bugs/glitches, the Companion App crap grind to unlocn many short yet easy money and armour parts in-game, the suits only unlockabke through Initiates website and it took an eternity at launch... and the most insulting it got a Season Pass! xD Gladly, Ubisoft made the Companion App, the Initiates website completely useless and made the Dead King DLC Free! xD

I never got the backlash against Unity, other than it just being a bit mèh just like Revelations. It wasn't even the first instance of microtransactions in Assassin's Creed. I started Unity with exploring Paris, and thanks to renovating the theatres I had bought the best set of weapons and clothing before getting halfway through the story.

Dead Kings for free was nice though.

With Assassin's Creed Origins as well as the new South Park game, I notice that stuff you can pay for with Ubi currency gets more limelight but it never feels necessary to me. I'm willing to accept it if it means Ubisoft can keep it up with preventing the series from becoming stale cash grabs.

1 minute ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Im worried for the future of gaming.

Out with compelling stories and in with online only games riddled with micro transactions.

There's always indies, with Stardew Valley providing dozens of hours of fun for €14...

I hate it that EA doesn't get that many people will want single player only games. Damn.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Loving that gif.

Thanks, it is from Reddit. It is thanks to Reddit for triggering the war against EA.

Well of course people we already mad about the loot boxes but the trigger was when EA responded to complaints of Luke and Darth Vader being locked even after paying 80 dollars for the game (I guess the user bought the deluxe edition). This was EA's responds and as you can see it has -676,000 votes making the most downvoted comment in Reddit History. EA would later try to host a Reddit AMA on the same subreddit to of course wide spread anger.

CtZbox5.png

Also just found the reason why Disney is furious, it is because people on twitter have made a media campaign in accusing EA and Disney of pushing child gambling and some of the media is believing it: http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-wars-battlefront-gambling-disney-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/?iid=sr-link1

Also Belgium is looking into Battlefront 2 to see if it classifies as gambling. I am surprised that big news media are now picking the story:  http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/16/technology/battlefront-ii-star-wars-game-gambling/index.html

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

I bet that is what exactly happened. Usually EA ignores all the fan outrage on shit from their games but since Star Wars is just a borrowed IP from Disney.

I feel like Disney was like "What the fuck, why are people talking shit about the new Star Wars game? What did you do? This is a PR Nightmare, FIX THIS BEFORE IT DAMAGES THE BRAND!!"

WGcJSAc.gif

Best Gif I've seen in a long long time. Haha yup, Disney love to look squeaky clean. If it were them (which is most likely) well done to them. Hopefully, EA think long and hard before they try to kill our wallets again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

What was untrue about what I said? Not criticising you, just wondering. 

Like I said in my post you quoted, the cost of Vader has been reduced so it's not surprising to me that you'd be able to unlock him much more quickly. 

Edit: What was the total time investment in doing this, by the way?

Because when Vader was 60k credits, people were calculating you'd need to play for 40 hours to unlock him. So if you played for, say, 10 hours to do those things, that would also match the 75% credit reduction.

you said "Campaign will only give you enough credits to unlock one of the lowest-tier - in terms of credit cost", but after playing campaign incl. collectibles I was at about 12k then I played 5 arcade challenges. then I played 5-6 mp matches and I unlocked vader. that's all...

campaign incl. collectibles about 5 hours. and arcade plus 5-6 matches mp like an hour, 1.5 tops.

now I have luke and Iden as well (another 20k) and currently have about 7k left in wallet. and so far (on top of the initial 5-6 matches) I've played maybe 6 hours of mp. so it's really quick actually. the challenges help a lot, 80% of them come without even trying. and I'm a pretty average player my KDR is probably 13:10, if I had to guess, since there are no stats...

Edited by cam_wick
weird script error, typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cam_wick said:

you said "Campaign will only give you enough credits to unlock one of the lowest-tier - in terms of credit cost"

Thanks. I meant the vanilla "Campaign reward", not counting collectibles, which I didn't realise had a separate reward too. 

It's still true that completing the campaign alone - not counting collectibles - gives you enough credits to unlock Iden, isn't it? On the announcement DICE made when they lowered the cost of heroes DICE said that they wanted Iden to essentially be the reward for completing the campaign and this was why they lowered this reward to match that heroes cost. 

Thanks again for the clarification, it's all useful info. 

2 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Thanks. I meant the vanilla "Campaign reward", not counting collectibles, which I didn't realise had a separate reward too. 

It's still true that completing the campaign alone - not counting collectibles - gives you enough credits to unlock Iden, isn't it? On the announcement DICE made when they lowered the cost of heroes DICE said that they wanted Iden to essentially be the reward for completing the campaign and this was why they lowered this reward to match that heroes cost. 

Thanks again for the clarification, it's all useful info. 

yse absolutely I already had more than enough to unlock her by the end of the campaign, even without collectibles. yeah I guess that was there intention.. but like I said completing the campaign with collectibles that are ridiculously easy to find and few alltogether you can basically afford a top tier hero almost immediately when starting mp. plus unless you desparately want to play heroes vs villains and refuse to settle for rey or kylo, or even yoda (who are seriously superior to luke or vader in this game) - you really can just play other modes and gain credits through challenges and matches..honestly heroes and villains is kind've ludicrous now because it's just 4v4 and there are no soldiers, so everybody basically meets at one point in the map and just wails on the other's team target :D:D it's frantic fun but really requires little skill, since it's a total free for all 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

Thanks, it is from Reddit. It is thanks to Reddit for triggering the war against EA.

Well of course people we already mad about the loot boxes but the trigger was when EA responded to complaints of Luke and Darth Vader being locked even after paying 80 dollars for the game (I guess the user bought the deluxe edition). This was EA's responds and as you can see it has -676,000 votes making the most downvoted comment in Reddit History. EA would later try to host a Reddit AMA on the same subreddit to of course wide spread anger.

CtZbox5.png

Also just found the reason why Disney is furious, it is because people on twitter have made a media campaign in accusing EA and Disney of pushing child gambling and some of the media is believing it: http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-wars-battlefront-gambling-disney-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/?iid=sr-link1

Also Belgium is looking into Battlefront 2 to see if it classifies as gambling. I am surprised that big news media are now picking the story:  http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/16/technology/battlefront-ii-star-wars-game-gambling/index.html

Yeah I noticed most of the rough lines, as well as the "most hated comment ever". Hadn't seen the gif yet.

They made a thing about including Disney because they are the one company that can kick EA in the nuts if they misbehave. Which is very well played, I think. Disney has no problem with (over)charging but customers need to be pleased or they won't return.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 1:39 AM, Phil said:

These are not trolls on metacritic people. This score is well earned by EA. I hope this game flops on its ass. Fuck EA for ruining a great game franchise. Just boot up the real Battlefront 2.

Amy Hennig, formally of Uncharted fame was intending to make a Star Wars game that was similar to the series that made her fairly well known. But as we all know it was cancelled, probably because EA thought it needed money thrown on it in the form of microtransactions.

Ever since EA closed down Westwood Studios and Maxis, who made the Command & Conquer and Simcity games respectively, I have had no respect for them. I refuse to buy and play any online game managed by EA. That DRM bullshit they shoved down peoples throats was enough for me to jump off the ship.

Shame.

Speaking of which, Super Star Wars, a SNES classic from the 1990s is on the PSN Store for the PS4. I should definitely go and try it out. It'll probably be more fun than Star Wars Battlefront II.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Amy Hennig, formally of Uncharted fame was intending to make a Star Wars game that was similar to the series that made her fairly well known. But as we all know it was cancelled, probably because EA thought it needed money thrown on it in the form of microtransactions.

Ever since EA closed down Westwood Studios and Maxis, who made the Command & Conquer and Simcity games respectively, I have had no respect for them. I refuse to buy and play any online game managed by EA. That DRM bullshit they shoved down peoples throats was enough for me to jump off the ship.

Shame.

Part of the reason I cancelled my pre-order, together with the shabbiness of the story campaign.

It was clear Hemmig needed more of a guiding hand (like she had at Naughty Dog) but instead of fixing situations, EA always goes for the kill. It's like a doctor giving you not enough medication, and when you start couching he's going in for involuntary euthanasia.

These companies need to take a note from how Rockstar handled L.A. Noire. Team Bondi was struggling hard with insane working hours and a diva for a director. Rockstar brought in people of their own to help with coding andlimit the damage the director was doing, and L.A. Noire ended up releasing fine and as a great game.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Speaking of which, Super Star Wars, a SNES classic from the 1990s is on the PSN Store for the PS4. I should definitely go and try it out. It'll probably be more fun than Star Wars Battlefront II.

I second this statement, I still think the Super series are among the most enjoyable Star Wars games, together with Racer and Rogue Squadron.

7 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Hold on a sec: http://store.steampowered.com/app/741350/Titan_Quest_Ragnark/

F***s given about Battlefront II and the cancer in the gaming history in this moment: over 9000^-INF 1f602.png

*mic drop*

Yeah, personally I diverted my attention to the first handheld Skyrim that was released yesterday.

18 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Regardless of what people may think of him, when Jim Fucking Sterling Son is right, Jim Fucking Sterling Son is right.

He's been right on this issue the whole time and he predicted this microtransaction bullshit years ago when it was on mobile games and people didn't listen.

• Like 1