Which Episode To Get?

DrakeHellsing

Storywise, it wont matter which one I grab right? As in, if I choose either Gladious or Prompto right? As I wouldn't mind picking up at least one of these DLC (I'll get that Comrades one way later on, not fussed for that yet).  Cause while I do have three more things to do in the main game (well five, because of that July update for two extra trophies), want to give one of these two a go on the side.

I have had a look at the guides for both of them to see how difficult they can be... sounds like Prompto's one could be a bit easier to deal with... if I'm not mistaken? I say that cause I see Gladio has the whole thing with dealing with fighting Cor, which sounds hard x.x

Yeah I know, I do wanna play them both... and the price on those aren't that bad, may pick them both up at that.  But not sure yet, but one for sure.

I am curious on just how tough both Cor and that 1 million points thing for Gladio actually is though.  I mean the 1 mill points thing in particular is what is worrying me in his DLC, on how much leeway it'll actually give me.

2 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I have had a look at the guides for both of them to see how difficult they can be... sounds like Prompto's one could be a bit easier to deal with... if I'm not mistaken? I say that cause I see Gladio has the whole thing with dealing with fighting Cor, which sounds hard x.x

Prompto's has an annoying snowmobile time trial thing that can be pretty hair-pulling especially since while in the main story you can upgrade your snowmobile, you can't have any of the upgrades in the trial making upgrading your snowmobile rather pointless. It also doesn't help that the physics and controls for it are wonky. But his special boss fight is easier compared to Gladio's.

2 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I am curious on just how tough both Cor and that 1 million points thing for Gladio actually is though.  I mean the 1 mill points thing in particular is what is worrying me in his DLC, on how much leeway it'll actually give me.

There's a few strategies for the 1 million points trophy and I think when I did it my first time I managed 700k points and that's because I'm pretty sure I messed up in a few spots. Cor might take several tries but since you've been playing Nioh and have dabbled in some Bloodborne he's kind of like a boss from one of those games. I hate to make a comparison to Souls-like games but that really was the impression I got. The trophy guide on here also has a strategy video you could use there.

• Like 1

Actually, it's the other way around with Nioh and Bloodborne, done a fair bit on Bloodborne, haven't gone far in Nioh xD

But yeah, I think for Prompto, the snowmobile will be rather annoying to deal with.  But I suppose I'll see this week and if I can, I'll grab them both, but again, depends on what else I need to do this week (I gotta get a Christmas present this week too x.x)

Episode Gladio has the 1.000.000 point challenge and the Cor fight as some harder trophies, for episode Prompto it’s the snowmobile time challenges and the Aranea fight. I think the Aranea fight actually gave me a harder time than the Cor fight did. ;-) But anyway, both of these episodes are all in all still pretty easy. I don’t consider anything that can be learned in maximum 5 retries as hard.

If you‘re interested in both the episodes and the comrades dlc, then just grab the season pass. I think the season pass costs 30€. Episode Prompto and Gladio cost 10€ each and the comrades dlc costs 30€ in itself. So yeah, the season pass is a good deal. :) 

However, if I had to point you towards one dlc, then I‘d say episode Prompto. This episode is just more interesting from the story and gameplay perspective than episode Gladio in my opinion.

Edited by ShadowStefan

Both episodes has time trials. I found Gladio's time trial easier then Prompto's snowmobile trial. You didn't have to deal with clunky controls on Gladio, but you WILL face that in Prompto episode, with the annoying snowmobile trials. As for special bosses, Gladio's boss, Cor is so much more difficult then Prompto...with Aranea, all I did was dodge, spam trigger happy, and ocasionally hit her when I thought it was safe to do that. With Cor...your execution must be perfect...I broke a  controller because of how much he frustrated me...you need to have really good grasp of the parry and dodge mechanics.

So far both episodes has one thing and one bad thing about them. So let's see story wise...story wise, I liked Prompto's more...you could explore an open world map (kinda), and the views were pretty...plus more depth to Prompto added, where to Gladio was like...''oh, so that's what he been doing when he left? Meh!''. Final decision I'd say...go for Prompto ep. if you only wanna choose one...but beware of the clunkiest controls ever, for the snowmobile trials.

2 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Yeah, deciding to go with Prompto in the end, which I'll grab once the update has finished downloading (reinstalling the game is why).  But a small question for you guys, are these episodes (and the Comrades DLC) accessible from the from the main menu?

Yep, this is where you‘ll find them.

1 minute ago, Deluziion90 said:

currently busy with the time trials on the snow mobile I swear someone is gonna get killed. This is the most retarded ever

I don't know. Seems like Square is trying to out-retard themselves with each new DLC. The Kenny RNG trophy in Comrades takes the cake for me. Having to collect 999,999 kW when you unlock everything at like 600,000 kW is pretty dumb too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

I don't know. Seems like Square is trying to out-retard themselves with each new DLC. The Kenny RNG trophy in Comrades takes the cake for me. Having to collect 999,999 kW when you unlock everything at like 600,000 kW is pretty dumb too.

I think Square just hates trophy hunters, because their Final Fantasy IX trophy list was garbage too. FFXII's trophy list was the 'good' Final Fantasy trophy list. 

2 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

I would choose episode gladios first. It was the first dlc square released so they wanted us to play it first. Why mess with that? :P

As for commrades, it picks up where the main game let's off, and has probably the toughest final boss in the whole game. So putting it off for a bit won't hurt. Especially after episode ignus. Least that's my op.

Which boss did you consider the hardest? I found the Episode Gladio bosses (story and "extra" boss for trophy) quite a bit harder than anything I've encountered in Comrades (I've finished the story, but didn't do any of the optional fights). Just curious.

Just now, Fragtaster said:

Behamut.

To complete the story, or the optional post-story fight? Because I didn't think the story fight was that bad, and I was pretty low level. I wiped the first time, but the second time the AI partners will have ingredients to revive themselves making it much easier. And at least you can grind equipment or levels unlike the bosses in Ep Gladio. Just my two cents.

Just now, Fragtaster said:

The post credit fight against behamut with all the espers gathered.

Ah, yeah, I haven't done that yet. Probably won't, since it's not needed for a trophy and I don't like this game enough to play more than I have to. :)

25 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

To complete the story, or the optional post-story fight? Because I didn't think the story fight was that bad, and I was pretty low level. I wiped the first time, but the second time the AI partners will have ingredients to revive themselves making it much easier. And at least you can grind equipment or levels unlike the bosses in Ep Gladio. Just my two cents.

Yeah the Bahamut Rematch is brutal. He powers up considerably after is health is down to half in that fight. I have level 50 (maximum) and top-notch equipment in Comrades, but it‘s unmanageable solo, you need some good players there. I played that battle over 10 times just because powered-up Bahamut looks amazing with all his glowing swords. :D 

• Like 1

Just now, ShadowStefan said:

Yeah the Bahamut Rematch is brutal. He powers up considerably after is health is down to half in that fight. I have level 50 (maximum) and top-notch equipment in Comrades, but it‘s unmanageable solo, you need some good players there. I played that battle over 10 times just because powered-up Bahamut looks amazing with all his glowing swords. :D 

Now see, if they REALLY hated trophy hunters, they could have made that battle required. I think it's more contempt than hate. ;)

Just now, RNumbers said:

Now see, if they REALLY hated trophy hunters, they could have made that battle required. I think it's more contempt than hate. ;)

I don‘t think SE has done any bad choices with the trophies of FFXV. Really, the only FF game that is easier to plat is Type-0. The base game of FFXV has tons of really difficult content (Costlemark Tower Depth Dungeon, 99 floors, no items allowed, just to give one example) that was not required at all for plat. Or level 120 enemies in hunts. All these things were way harder than Cor for example.

23 minutes ago, ShadowStefan said:

I don‘t think SE has done any bad choices with the trophies of FFXV. Really, the only FF game that is easier to plat is Type-0. The base game of FFXV has tons of really difficult content (Costlemark Tower Depth Dungeon, 99 floors, no items allowed, just to give one example) that was not required at all for plat. Or level 120 enemies in hunts. All these things were way harder than Cor for example.

OK, so all joking aside, I don't think the list for FFXV is bad. The main game is a pretty darn easy list, with only a little bit of grinding (the character-specific skills). I do find the list to be pretty uneven when you consider the DLC trophies, which add some pretty difficult trophies (Cor, snowmobile), at least one very grindy trophy (999,999 kW), and a huge PITA RNG trophy (Kenny).

Making a good, balanced, fun trophy list is an art, and IMO it's pretty obvious SE doesn't really put all that much thought into it. Contempt wasn't really the right word, I honestly just think they don't think about trophy hunters at all. Which isn't too surprising, really, as I feel like we're pretty much the minority (despite our little echo chamber here, where it's easy to overlook).

This is my analysis, anyway. I'd be interested to hear if anyone feels differently with respect to SE.

Edited by RNumbers