Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts

Christopher

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/disney-closes-game-publisher-lucasarts.aspx

"Game Informer has learned that Disney is closing its LucasArts game publishing subsidiary. We received an email from a LucasArts representative confirming the news."

Anyone else kind of annoyed by this. LucasArts did push out some pretty quality games in the past...

1313 was looking very good, but other than that what else have they made recently that was amazing? Nothing that I can think of. I always hate to see developers have to shut their doors but I can't say this is a huge surprise.

Parker

It's sad to see and as a dev who has been laid off myself I can feel their pain but well, while Maniac Mansion is one of my all time favorite games of all time, Lucas Arts hasn't done anything decent since the NES, SNES days and to be blunt Star Wars video games have become synonymous with crap as far as I'm concerned which is thanks to them so this isn't really surprising.

Edited by lporiginalg

LucasArts did push out some pretty quality games in the past...

That was a long time ago, when 'Lucas' products actually strived for innovation and not milking franchises.

Star Wars was the only reason Disney bought it out in any case !

That is a sad tale but part of Lucas Arts closing down done it to themselves. After the Phantom Menace movie was out, they decided to pharm on Star Wars brand and many projects that got em to quality status was gone. Hell Sam and Max Free Lance Police got canned and it was a very good looking at at the time it was shown at E3. Thus it was quanity over quality. From Phantom Menace on til closing you had more crap than good titles before it was more excellent to maybe 1-2 crap. Yeah Disney was after the IPs of both Indie and Star Wars but closing the studio they had no choice, Lucas Arts done it to themselves. I used to wish LA went back to making some of those great adventure games and flight sims like XvT, Tie Fighter and X-wing those would translate well with today's gamers and online playing instead we got The Force Unleashed 2 which to this day I am finding it hard for me to finish the game maybe I'll finish it maybe not. Still the blame goes to Lucas Arts on this. I'm hoping Disney will do some outsourcing on titles. Imagine Telltale games get a nice hold of Maniac Mansion and update it to today's standards of theirs.