Playstation 4 tips , life hacks and tips

fanat56ru

Apparently it's better to leave the console in the rest mode rather than shut it down completely - which is something I only learnt recently. But I guess it depends on where you live and how often power outages are in the area - in my old PS4 I accidentally pulled the plug while the console was on and after a few hours of trying to restore it I had to format the hard drive, luckily I had the cloud backup on but still lost lots of screenshots.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

Apparently it's better to leave the console in the rest mode rather than shut it down completely - which is something I only learnt recently. But I guess it depends on where you live and how often power outages are in the area - in my old PS4 I accidentally pulled the plug while the console was on and after a few hours of trying to restore it I had to format the hard drive, luckily I had the cloud backup on but still lost lots of screenshots.

Can I ask why it’s better? I always wondered this and everything I’ve tried to read on the internet suggests it’s simply a convenience thing. Are you aware which option is better for the health of the console in the long term?

18 minutes ago, turpinator1986 said:

Can I ask why it’s better? I always wondered this and everything I’ve tried to read on the internet suggests it’s simply a convenience thing. Are you aware which option is better for the health of the console in the long term?

Modern devices are designed to be put into a low power state instead of fully turning them off. It's actually better for the health of the console to put it in rest mode so long as it doesn't lose power for whatever reason.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, turpinator1986 said:

As the people above said, actually I read it on the forums here a week ago or so, before I had always felt it was wrong to leave it in rest mode overnight or longer. My only concern is a sudden power loss although I live in a big city so it doesn't happen very often.

• Like 1

Literally the only benefit to leaving it in rest mode as opposed to turning it off is convenience. If you don't care that it eats electricity while in rest mode and you use it often, go for rest mode. If you care about it eating electricity, turn it off.

According to several sites it doesn't affect the health of the console either way, and personally I always turn my devices off if I'm not using them and I've never had an issue with any of them.

• Like 4