External Hard Drive Doesn’t Automatically Update

Il_WidowmakeR_Il

I have a question and maybe someone can answer. Back in April I got me a 4TB external hard drive for my PS4, few weeks went by and no problems. I notice last night around April 25th was the last time I had any game updates/patches. I started looking I had to manually update like 4-5 games but all my settings are set where when your PS4 is turn on or in rest mode the games automatically updated. I also noticed around the same time the games stop updating we had a system update. I even called PlayStation and ask them and got nothing. The guy said the external HD update doesn’t say anything about updating game patches automatically to external hard drives is part of it but it doesn’t say it don’t either.....so that was pointless. So does anyone know what’s going on and why? Thank you for any information or help.

Edited by Il_WidowmakeR_Il
  • Like 1

My guess would be that the ps4 doesn't wake that specific hdd in sleep mode for updates. It might be related to some sort of power saving mode or something on the drive itself. Mine seems to update fine in sleep mode though. 

Edited by nicklesminer

I've got the same problem but in my case, I have a 1tb external drive and this issue has been happening since the 4.75 update last year :( . I will occasionally get a update that is automatically detected but 95% of the time, I have to manually trigger one for it to be detected annd start downloading :( .

• Like 1

I cannot answer your question....

But my HDD wont auto update my games I installed on it either. I assume it's one of the flaws to use a external. Also If you like me like to make a bajillion folders, after database rebuild, the folders will delete itself if games in it were all from external drive. Also it will remove external hdd games from folders that have main hdd installed games. A bloody mess i tell yah!

Also is auto update a psplus only feature?

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY
minor mispelled words...

Just now, HuntingFever said:

I've got the same problem but in my case, I have a 1tb external drive and this issue has been happening since the 4.75 update last year :( . I will occasionally get a update that is automatically detected but 95% of the time, I have to manually trigger one for it to be detected annd start downloading :( .

Thank you very much for actually helping with my problem.

2 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

I cannot answer your question....

But my HDD wont auto update my games I installed on it either. I assume it's one of the flaws to use a external. Also If you like me like to make a bajillion folders, after database rebuild, the folders will delete itself if games in it were all from external drive. Also it will remove external hdd games from folders that have main hdd installed games. A blood mess i tell yah!

Well that’s good to know because I haven’t did a database rebuild since getting it, something to look forward to.

I think it is just a issue with Playstation right now. I use the 1TB HDD that came with my Pro, not sure of the brand. My games have rarely auto-updated at least the last 6 months, if not longer. I don't let it update during sleep mode but when I turn it on from a full shut down, the patches rare pop up like they are supposed too. I almost always have to go to my library and manually update them. I had to do it for Doom when they released the 4K patch a month or two ago.

Edited by skateak
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Il_WidowmakeR_Il said:

It’s plug in all the time in the back USB port on my Pro.

Curious have you tried it on the other 2 ports? The front one. There seems to be some issues for some with the back port.

1 hour ago, Il_WidowmakeR_Il said:

It’s plug in all the time in the back USB port on my Pro.

22 minutes ago, Il_WidowmakeR_Il said:

I haven’t tried the front since downloading games and manually updating thing works fine in the back one.

As silly as it sounds I'd unplug it and plug it in again to see if that fixes it. If not then plug it in one of the front port like @ERGOPROXY-DECAY suggested. Can't hurt to give it a go.

• Like 1