Resident Evil 2 Remake Main Discussion

Aranea Highwind

Resident Evil 2 Will Feature Enhanced Narrative Compared To The Original

Capcom are taking the opportunity to improve upon the original classic however they can.

https://gamingbolt.com/resident-evil-2-will-feature-enhanced-narrative-compared-to-the-original

• Like 1

Capcom blog about the collectors edition:

RE2_CE_BeautyShot_MULTI_resize.jpg

You have once again entered the world of survival horror. Great news for fans of Resident Evil 2 across North America – fresh from the Resident Evil panel at this year’s San Diego Comic Con, we just unveiled the Resident Evil 2 Collector’s Edition, available exclusively at GameStop and EB Games for $199.99 (239.99 CAD)! Read on for additional details of what you’ll find contained within this package designed to replicate the item boxes you find in the game.

First off is the package itself, designed as a reproduction of the familiar item boxes that have shown up in various Resident Evil games over the years! Just like it protects your items in-game, it also protects the contents until you’re ready to put them to good use. So, what’s in the box?

• Resident Evil 2 Deluxe Edition
    • Full Game
    • Special Deluxe Packaging
    • Extra DLC Pack Card
      • Give Leon and Claire a new look or a blast from the past with unique costumes:
        • Leon Costume: “Arklay Sheriff”
        • Leon Costume: “Noir”
        • Claire Costume: “Military”
        • Claire Costume: “Noir”
        • Claire Costume: “Elza Walker”
    • Ensure the undead stay undead with a special weapon
      • Deluxe Weapon: “Samurai Edge – Albert Model”
    • And bring on the nostalgia with classic tunes:
      • “Original Version” Soundtrack Swap
  • Leon S. Kennedy (R.P.D. Version) Figure
    • An expertly-crafted 12-inch figure of Leon on his first day in his new RPD police uniform, re-created to mirror his in-game design down to the smallest details. A must-have for any Resident Evil fan or collector!
  • “Ben’s File” Art Book
    • A 32-page book left behind by Ben Bertolucci, a freelance journalist who makes an appearance in Resident Evil 2. This file contains photos and files documenting events after the Raccoon City tragedy, and was filed away as a highly confidential document by the U.S. government. It's never been seen by the public… until now.
  • Digital Soundtrack
    • A voucher code for a 25-track album featuring new songs from the remake of Resident Evil 2, as well as a selection of arrangements from the original game.
  • “R.P.D.” Renovation Design Poster
    • A diagram reminiscent of blueprints, this poster illustrates how the building was renovated and transformed from a museum to a police facility when work was being done on the  building in 1969.
RE2_PS4_RP_FOB_ENG_resize.png
RE2_XBO_FOB_RP_resize.png

This package will be available exclusively at GameStop and EB Games in North America for $199.99 ($239.99 CAD), so check out your local store or visit GameStop.com to secure your pre-order! European fans: Additional details on the European Collector’s Edition will be coming next month. For all the latest on Resident Evil, visit official Resident Evil channels on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2018/07/20/resident-evil-2-collectors-edition-unveiled

• Like 4

Debating bumping my preorder all the way up to the collector's edition if I can.  Probably won't since $200+ is a lot to drop for any one game (did it for the Shenmue III Kickstarter and don't regret it for even a second though I probably should dial it back when I can)... but Resident Evil 2 is arguably my favorite of the series (if not one of my favorite games period way back when) and this remake looks to cement that further.  And I'm digging the artbook and the figure. ?

EDIT: Anyone know if the Deluxe Edition soundtrack swap will ever be available outside of the Deluxe Edition?  Maybe as paid DLC in the PSN store?  Maybe I'll just bump up to that edition for the funsies.  The "Elza Walker" costume for Claire is tempting too. :D

52 minutes ago, MegaZeroXX said:

I prefer the box art for the Standard Edition rather than the Deluxe Edition.

Since that's the same as the "placeholder" standard edition art but with the Deluxe part added, I'd kinda assume that's a placeholder as well (I could be wrong though).  Might just not've had the deluxe box art finalized before this event.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, BG_painter said:

She...is.... beautiful!!!!  and kawaii
ResidentEvil2_22.jpg

I'm fond of Claire Redfield's new look. She looks amazingly trendy. ?

I played the original game in 2000. My memories of the game, however, are hazy. :blush:

Edited by zizimonster
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 9:53 AM, Dreakon13 said:

Anyone know if the Deluxe Edition soundtrack swap will ever be available outside of the Deluxe Edition?  Maybe as paid DLC in the PSN store?  Maybe I'll just bump up to that edition for the funsies.  The "Elza Walker" costume for Claire is tempting too. :D

I personally don't think they would do something like this, but you never know. I'd recommend you wait until after the game releases and see if the DLCs will be buyable separately without buying the game, the Deluxe Edition should stay on the store even after the game releases, if you pre-oder the vanilla version now, there is little chance there will be an option on the store for you to upgrade to the deluxe edition, not a lot of games have that. For example, FFXV has the Royal Pack on the store atm and that upgrades the vanilla game onto the Royal Edition of the game, which is the current most complete edition of FFXV, but Detroit: Become Human has none of that, so if someone pre-ordered the vanilla Detroit and wanted, say, the exclusive soundtrack or PS4 themes that come with its deluxe edition, they'd have to pay the full price.

52 minutes ago, renatabls said:

I personally don't think they would do something like this, but you never know. I'd recommend you wait until after the game releases and see if the DLCs will be buyable separately without buying the game, the Deluxe Edition should stay on the store even after the game releases, if you pre-oder the vanilla version now, there is little chance there will be an option on the store for you to upgrade to the deluxe edition, not a lot of games have that. For example, FFXV has the Royal Pack on the store atm and that upgrades the vanilla game onto the Royal Edition of the game, which is the current most complete edition of FFXV, but Detroit: Become Human has none of that, so if someone pre-ordered the vanilla Detroit and wanted, say, the exclusive soundtrack or PS4 themes that come with its deluxe edition, they'd have to pay the full price.

I mean, if I'm waiting to pre-order/play the game to see if the DLC gets sold separately (intending to pay the extra money for it)... I might as well just pay the extra bucks now, upgrade my pre-order to the deluxe edition and guarantee that I get them?

I heard rumors of where there will be zombie children now. I hope they won't back down from this if this is true as that almost all zombie horror games are missing zombie kids (will the exception of Walking dead season 1 and dead space trilogy).

1 hour ago, wackt1 said:

I heard rumors of where there will be zombie children now. I hope they won't back down from this if this is true as that almost all zombie horror games are missing zombie kids (will the exception of Walking dead season 1 and dead space trilogy).

Yeah that's the theory right now after we saw a silhouette that resembles a kid during the E3 trailer. This video explain how this could be the case.

14 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I mean, if I'm waiting to pre-order/play the game to see if the DLC gets sold separately (intending to pay the extra money for it)... I might as well just pay the extra bucks now, upgrade my pre-order to the deluxe edition and guarantee that I get them?

That's what i would do, i think that getting the Deluxe Edition for this game is worth it anyway. :D

• Like 1

On July 22, 2018 at 4:32 AM, BG_painter said:

She...is.... beautiful!!!!  and kawaii
ResidentEvil2_22.jpg

Agreed. I'm starting to come around on the look, it is nice to see the design on the jacket returning albeit in an updated form. 

By the way I think that license plate is the original launch date for RE2 on the PS1.

• Like 1

Capcom presented gameplay of the upcoming remake of Resident Evil 2 at Ani-Com & Games Hong Kong played live on PS4 by the Producer.

Today, during a live stage event at Ani-Com & Games Hong Kong, Capcom showcased some new gameplay of the Resident Evil 2 remake.

We get to see Leon in action, with the game played live on PS4 by Producer Tsuyoshi Kanda. 

https://www.dualshockers.com/resident-evil-2-ps4-gameplay/

Capcom has confirmed they were testing Fixed Came Angles and First-Person during Resident Evil 2 development. There's other interesting info on that article that was published today.

A few years later, in 2005, Capcom decided to change things up with Resident Evil 4, which moved the camera to an over-the-shoulder view and delivered controls in-line with traditional third-person shooters. And last year the developer changed things again with the impressive Resident Evil 7, switching the view to first-person.

So, considering all that, which style do you pick when remaking one of the originals?

"We had discussions on whether we could make a game that was everything for everyone," says Capcom Europe COO Stuart Turner. "For those guys who want tank controls and want fixed cameras... can we do that?

"But the world has moved on and these players have changed. And if we did [introduce old school mechanics], these fans might play it and actually decide it's not what they wanted after all. But we played around with a few things in development. We did try first-person, we did try fixed camera. But the way the game has been designed, we decided that a third-person view works better."

The decision may have been made for creative reasons, but Capcom was still nervous ahead of the game's official E3 unveiling.

"That was probably the main worry, or question mark, that we had," explains EMEA marketing director Antoine Molant. "We knew there were expectations around the game, and we knew it looked great and would be a good game. But around the point of the tank controls and fixed cameras, we were worried that the fanbase would be divided. But, although there might have been some initial dissenting voices, the reaction was overwhelmingly positive."

Turner adds: "We were concerned internally about who RE2 would appeal to. With RE7 we had done this first-person thing, and with RE2 we've done this thing that looks great, but it's also back a step. So the response to that, the pre-orders we've seen already... we have been a little taken aback by how well it has gone down."

Resident Evil 2 is not a typical Capcom remaster. The firm decided against suffixing the word 'Remake' to the title because it's positioning this as a major launch akin to Resident Evil 7. The game was actually in development at the same time as 7, which means there are now two teams working on mainline Resident Evil games.

Yet how does Capcom view the franchise today? After Resident Evil 4 in 2005, the publisher took the series into a more action-orientated direction, which fans were not entirely satisfied with. This came to a head with the disappointing Resident Evil 6.

Resident Evil 7 was a far superior product that took the series back to its horror roots. However, commercially it's lagging behind its predecessors. RE7 has (so far) sold 5.1 million units, while Resident Evil 6 managed 7.1 million.

Fans and critics may see Resident Evil 7 as a comeback, but what about Capcom?

"While we have shareholders to appease, it's not just about commercial performance," explains Turner. "There is an artistic element that always comes in where we know this is the right way. And while if we compare RE7 to RE6 the absolute numbers are not the same, in terms of the profitability... it's completely fine. It ticked all of our boxes internally. It was really well received. And in some respects, getting some very good review scores counts as much for Capcom as a game that sells millions and millions and millions. We'd prefer a game that got a 9 and sold less, than got a 6 but sold more."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-03-capcom-taken-aback-by-resident-evil-2-reception

• Like 2