Robocop: Sworn protector of...Detroit?

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/detroit-really-is-getting-a-giant-robocop-statue-here-504967648

What you're seeing here is the almost-completed model of the city's sworn protector. This is the thing that'll be shipped to the sculptors to be made into a cast, and from that cast will emerge a bronze statue of Robocop that will stand ten feet tall.

Speechless (With Lots of Pictures) [Kickstarter, via Boing Boing]

ku-xlarge.jpg

...This is kinda awesome.  I wish he was in the bay area too.  Or better yet, give us a statue of Batman.  Yeah, that'll work.

• Like 1

I like the RoboCop statue, but aren't we a LITTLE BIT LATE for the movie. Unless Detroit is releasing an actual robocop... ;)

I think Kwame Kilpatrick deserves the honor more. At least he has some relevance over the past five years of Detroit's history. Robocop came out what, 30 years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Kilpatrick

If that Gundam was in Detroit, its parts would be taken so fast lol

Who says Robocop is safe? It'll probably be defiled the week the statue is erected. Nobody would steal it for parts though since it's diarrhea yellow.

Who says Robocop is safe? It'll probably be defiled the week the statue is erected. Nobody would steal it for parts though since it's diarrhea yellow.

It'll get stolen pretty quickly by someone who wants the scrap value or someone who is going to melt it down for the raw metal.  After all, this is Detroit we're talking about.

If people really wanted to show some love for Detroit, perhaps supplementing the crashing economy there would be a more effective statement.