CHOSEN CHAMPION?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the champion crown?

• Dragon-Archon
    • Fabiansc83
    • Jemmie
    • Kevvik
    • Kingofbattle8174
    • Ladynadiad
    • Leon Castle
    • Sealightbreeze
    • Warped Savior
    • xZoneHunter

The last new game I was able to clear before the last day and it was fun playing a Dragon Ball RPG.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

67008e4dc8e2c7d5e6b37a08d9fddf9015800425

A ARPG(action role-playing game) retelling of the Dragon Ball Z story(Saiyan Saga to Buu Saga) that compared to the DB Fighting games had more of the original story that any of fighting games on PlayStation did not have like the fight with Pui Pui and Yakon.

The rarity is 12.42% and it's a new game as it was released last week.

How many days are left of this event btw?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leon Castle said:

The last new game I was able to clear before the last day and it was fun playing a Dragon Ball RPG.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

67008e4dc8e2c7d5e6b37a08d9fddf9015800425

A ARPG(action role-playing game) retelling of the Dragon Ball Z story(Saiyan Saga to Buu Saga) that compared to the DB Fighting games had more of the original story that any of fighting games on PlayStation did not have like the fight with Pui Pui and Yakon.

The rarity is 12.42% and it's a new game as it was released last week.

How many days are left of this event btw?

Congrats, you completed it in a really fast time frame too.

I believe that I set it to end on the 1st. Well I was not very specific on the end so if people want it longer I see no problem with that.

So I do want to thank @ladynadiad and those who stepped up to finish this event while I had to step away while life got back in order which for the most part it has. 

I am considering creating Mania 2.0, if people want to input rule changes, lowering or raising the amount of participants or anything else let me know. Last years participants have first priority to sign up again. 

Edited by kingofbattle8174
  • Like 2

Actually we had decided on 11:59:59 January 31st to keep with the original start time of February 1st and going with that in Central time so everyone would have at least until about midnight their time to wrap some stuff up.  Of the people still active Central was the latest.

Also made a countdown timer that I posted earlier and I can post again since it's a new page:

https://countingdownto.com/?c=2804193

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kevvik said:

Well, I’ll try to keep this close with a completion...Shenmue

100 + 66 (24+36+6) - 37.02 = 128.98 points

Had a feeling I was going to fade down the stretch but we’ll see if we can’t keep making a game of it. 

Yeah, seems like you're really close to me again.  I totally finished Cat Quest as well just so only one last minute game wouldn't be enough.  Looks like I should see if I can wrap up Muv-Luv Alternative before this is over too.

6 minutes ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Does anyone want to run a new thread for a 2020 edition starting in March?

I would create it, but for some reason they seem to lack finesse...

I will be shortly, in the next day or so. I just reread the whole thread to get a sense of changes to be made. I think scoring needs to be overhauled. Beast mode might be eliminated or more closely defined. I did like the new spread sheet too. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/afootball?iso=20200201T00&p0=788&msg=RPG+Mania+2020&font=cursive&csz=1

This is the possible updated rules for now. These are not set in stone. I have tried to revise things that seem to be not going well. If you want other changes before I post this tomorrow I am open to suggestions. 

Spoiler

RPG Mania was such a success last year that 2.0 is here at last with a larger competing field, more points chances and best of all more RPG”S!!!!! 

Right now, I am looking for 19 other players to compete in the ultimate RPG challenge.  

Start Date will be Feb 1st Midnight Central Standard Time and will run until next Jan 31st 1159PM.  

Signups begin with the posting of this notice and will run until full. Last year Signups were completed in a day. So you have to be fast to get a spot. I hope to see some of the faces from last years plus some new blood, which is why I am widening the competing pool.  

So there has to be some requirements right, So here is what direction I am leaning in. 

1) Please have at least 6 months forum experience, not in general but on the current profile you are using. I say this because this is a yearlong event and having someone drop out because the they get deterred with their account and having to readjust afterwards is not something that I want to deal with. If you are competing, please also be sure you want to commit. Many other people would want to take this spot, so be sure.  

2) To determine what games qualify, it should specify RPG on this site under Genre on this site. You can get a waiver if you really think a game should count.  If you feel a game qualifies, just get two other competitors to agree and it will be allowed. I would suggest doing this before starting a game just incase. Your reasoning needs to come from a reputable site where other players will agree with the interpretation.  

3) Have Fun, talk light smack, give each other pointers. 

4) This is to just Platinum, not 100% to make a game count. But point considerations will be given for each individual DLC pack completed and 100% games that might not have a Plat because they need love too. Child of Light would be a good example for a 100% game and completing any one of the many DLC's for Neverwinter. 

5) The scoring system is not to be complicated, because I hate math. But most likely will put into consideration rarity, length, and how much was already complete before the event started. When you submit your game, also submit the score total. I will trust your integrity. Each month though I will do an audit to make sure everything is adding up right. 

6) I am not the solo decision maker, any disputes will be up to a majority vote. 

If you have any other suggestions or questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

Platinum scoring would be a base of 100 + trophies - Plat rarity - percentage already completed before the event begins. 

0-19%: -0 points 

20-39%: -5 points 

40-59% -10 points 

60-79% -15 points 

80% +   -20 points 

Individual trophies can also be awarded points. As long as they were completed after the event start. 

Copper: 1 points 

silver: 2 points 

Gold: 6 points 

Adventures of Mana  100 base score + 68 trophy points - 26.01 completion rarity - 0 completion negation = 141.99 points scored 

Non Plat scoring base of 75 plus trophies minus completion rarity minus percent already completed 

DLC will be counted separately from the main game. Each DLC for both plat and non plat games has a base score of 50 points per dlc pack and add your qualifying trophies Then subtract the rarity of the rarest trophy and then the percent of trophies you have already unlocked before competition starts. If there are four trophies in the DLC pack so if you have already unlocked two then it is considered 50% complete. 

Side note to keep within the spirit of the event, this year I am limiting that just because the site says a game is an RPG does not mean its so. A lot of VN and other randomness seem to be under this genre. Any non RPG that gets submitted even if it is under the RPG genre gets a 5 point penalty.  

Bonuses. 

There are ways to really gain an edge and yes bonuses are added together to make good combo. 

Double point game. You are allowed two, and you are allowed one swap during the event. Declare them before or on the 1st of Feb. 

Triple point game. There is one triple point game. Declare it at the same time, it cannot though be in the previous category, and it cannot be swapped. 

Lets Play Bonus. Any game that qualifies for any of the following Let's Play Events earns you a bonus times 2 multiplier. This can be combined with a double point game or triple point game to give you a times four or times five bonus. 

Mugen souls 

Neptunia 

Omega Quintet 

Persona 4 Golden 

Persona 5 

Kingdom Hearts (includes KH3) 

Sword Art Online 

Star Ocean 

Warrior. Be careful here , some though such as One Piece have a genre of RPG so it would qualify. 

Yakuza. A few of these are in the RPG genre as well. 

Ys 

Call Out Bonus: A competitor will choose a played or unplayed game from your backlog to complete. This will be another times 3 opportunity.  

Adventures of Mana  100 base score + 68 trophy points - 26.01 completion rarity - 0 completion negation = 141.99 points scored * bonuses ( 2 (double point) +  2 (Lets Play) + 2 ( Project Platinum) = 141.99*6= 851.94 

Other Score FAQ’s 

You cannot receive a negative score.  If for some reason your subtractions would make you go below 0, that is where you would stop, but I do not think the situation ever came about last year. 

There is no stacking in the event. That also includes remasters or other editions of the same game from other regions or systems. The only exception is that if you completed a version before the competition begins. 

• Like 1

Mugen Souls Z is complete, with it getting a beast mode bonus of 0.5, the points gained are:

100+70-2.01-0=167.99

167.99*3.5=587.965 points

And I don’t see myself getting any more points before the contest ends but I’m satisfied with how much I did.

As for my opinion on the updated rules, they seem fine. Though I’m a bit iffy on there being a project platinum bonus, it should be replaced with something else though that’s just my opinion. I’m a little bit curious on why beast mode was removed though. For the rule on stacking, I assume certain games will be decided on a case by case basis as was the case earlier in the event? Finally, when’s the time frame for when the game for the call-out bonus is decided? 

Edited by Warpedsavior
  • Like 1

I join the next RPG Mania and my Double point games and Triple point game is the Utawarerumono trilogy with the remake of the first game being my Triple point game.

Edited by Leon Castle

So after sleeping on it I decided to remove to project platinum. I have thought about beast mode and made changes to make it easier to understand and to cap it as well.

So now it will be a point bonus instead of percentage based. Each beast mode game is worth an additional 25 points that accumulate with each title in the series up to 5 games in the same series.

example

KIngdom Hearts 1: no bonus

Kingdom hearts 2: 25 point bonus

Kingdom heats DDD: 50 point bonus

Etc up to 5 games completed in the same series

New game bonus is now a 50 point bonus instead of percentage. Remember that is a new game that is beaten within 30 days of being released. 

Other new options. Speed run bonus. If the game has already 100 people that have completed it, your completion is under the top 25. This gives you a 50 point bonus. 

The call out bonus will be assigned by bracket after the 2.0 begins. The two people competing can use each others profile backlog, or trophy checklist if one is available.  

@Leon Castle

I will put you in as soon as the new thread is up.

• Like 1

Last day now, I see @Kevvik is closing in on a completion. Can it get done before the time runs out to take a last minute lead? If not I guess this is where it stands. It was really close down the stretch between you and @ladynadiad. I hope everyone enjoyed the challenge. I am very impressed. Over 40 games completed for most of the top 3. That is alot of rpg action. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HqjuKni5Uc1vYquyEkyc6cpsoWB7X5WkmDbtXnBBVkU/htmlview#

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Last day now, I see @Kevvik is closing in on a completion. Can it get done before the time runs out to take a last minute lead? If not I guess this is where it stands. It was really close down the stretch between you and @ladynadiad. I hope everyone enjoyed the challenge. I am very impressed. Over 40 games completed for most of the top 3. That is alot of rpg action. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HqjuKni5Uc1vYquyEkyc6cpsoWB7X5WkmDbtXnBBVkU/htmlview#

I actually was looking and Kevvik did finish it so I went ahead and added it.

However, I also pulled off a last minute finish of Inferno 2 and still maintain the lead by a whole just under 70 points.  Had I not done that, Kevvik would have had the lead by about 10 points.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I actually was looking and Kevvik did finish it so I went ahead and added it.

However, I also pulled off a last minute finish of Inferno 2 and still maintain the lead by a whole just under 70 points.  Had I not done that, Kevvik would have had the lead by about 10 points.

Man what a nail biter finish, maybe @Kevvik can get Heroes Trials for the win!!

Wow!  Here I have finished Shenmue II and thinking I might have made it and @ladynadiad sandbags me with one more.  I'll have to look and see if I have anything little in my backlog with no time to spare (One More Dungeon is there but lord, I hated that game, don't think I can go to it for this).

100 + 66 (30+28+8) - 41.51 = 124.49 x 1.5 (1 + 05.(BM)) = 186.74 points

Gotta think on this.  Great finish though, even if I can't make up the ground...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Wow!  Here I have finished Shenmue II and thinking I might have made it and @ladynadiad sandbags me with one more.  I'll have to look and see if I have anything little in my backlog with no time to spare (One More Dungeon is there but lord, I hated that game, don't think I can go to it for this).

100 + 66 (30+28+8) - 41.51 = 124.49 x 1.5 (1 + 05.(BM)) = 186.74 points

Gotta think on this.  Great finish though, even if I can't make up the ground...

I totally looked at your profile and saw you were getting close so I started something else.  I originally planned on trying to finish Crossing Souls in time, but got too busy last night to start it and probably wouldn't have finished it today.

But I see some games I could grab and wrap up before midnight easily.

In a desperate grab at an ironic victory, I'll see your Inferno 2 and call with my own...Inferno 2

100 + 70 (66+0+4) - 92.68 = 77.34 points

That's it for me, I'm off to bed.  New Husky puppy in the house and I've had crap sleep the last two nights. @ladynadiad , it's been a great run.  If you finish something before closing, it's all yours.  I've played my hand and standing pat.

See you in the morning to find out what happened.  ✌️?✌️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

In a desperate grab at an ironic victory, I'll see your Inferno 2 and call with my own...Inferno 2

100 + 70 (66+0+4) - 92.68 = 77.34 points

That's it for me, I'm off to bed.  New Husky puppy in the house and I've had crap sleep the last two nights. @ladynadiad , it's been a great run.  If you finish something before closing, it's all yours.  I've played my hand and standing pat.

See you in the morning to find out what happened.  270c.png1f600.png270c.png

@Kevvik

this gives you ten point lead. Way to go with only a few hours to go. Can @ladynadiad respond in time??

Ok, longer to get back than I thought. Wow, what a finish!  A great run made a bit better by the fact that I came out on top. Still, a fun time but man, a year long event like this is brutal. Everyone seemed to go through slow patches at various points during the year and it evened out for some while it led others to drift away.

Thanks to everyone involved, whether at the start, finish or through the year. Special thanks to @kingofbattle8174 for coming up with it in the first place. Hopefully, the 2020 edition carries the same drama to the end as this one did. Additional thanks to @ladynadiad for the score keeping when life got in our host’s way and to @Dragon-Archon for the database which made the score keeping so much easier.

I think the most important thing was that a bunch of people enjoyed a lot of games.  Thanks again for a great time and keep on gaming!

• Like 4

I know I was glad to discover how fun Kemco games can be and knock out the remaining Kiseki games from my backlog.  Even discovered that Ratalaika games can be fun.  Devious Dungeon was actually pretty fun.  It was nice to see that PSN has some good short RPGs too because usually I have to go to Steam for those.  It was also my best year for trophy hunting and I have nothing incomplete left over from 2019 and 2018 now.  Definitely appreciate this event and trying to get ahead of Kevvik and the others driving me to wipe out a lot of backlog and play a ton of good games.

I'm kind of curious what everyone's favorites were of the games they played.  Obviously I love the Falcom ones and those were all good.  Of everything else not Falcom, I think my favorite was Legend of the Tetrarchs.  I'll definitely still be buying Kemco games though.

• Like 4

My favorites of the games I played in this event. Was besides Tales of and Neptunia,  were Death end re;Quest, The three Falcom games I played (Tokyo Xanadu and Ys IV & VIII) and Code Vein. I were glad to get God Eater and some SAO games out of backlog as they were fun well except the grindy parts of SAO Hollow Fragment and VS Accel World. I'll still buy the next Neptunia game/s  and I'll definitely get Tales of Arise, Death end re;Quest 2 and Ys IX(only if both Death end re;Quest 2 and Ys IX come west).

• Like 2