jonesey46's Trophy Travels

jonesey46

Got my PS5 (disc version) pre-ordered last night along with a copy of Spider-Man Miles Morales. Super excited but RIP my wallet.

In other news, I think Resident Evil 7 might have become one of my favourite games. I've loved everything about it. Currently playing through Joe Must Die on the End of Zoe DLC which is tough but nowhere near as hard as some people on this website make it out to be.

That's something I've come to learn after spending so much time on here and it should be my new mantra "The game won't be as hard as the users on PSNProfiles make it out to be".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Got my PS5 (disc version) pre-ordered last night along with a copy of Spider-Man Miles Morales. Super excited but RIP my wallet.

In other news, I think Resident Evil 7 might have become one of my favourite games. I've loved everything about it. Currently playing through Joe Must Die on the End of Zoe DLC which is tough but nowhere near as hard as some people on this website make it out to be.

That's something I've come to learn after spending so much time on here and it should be my new mantra "The game won't be as hard as the users on PSNProfiles make it out to be".

Pretty lucky, the whole PS5 pre-order coming out early was a mess. I'm aiming to sac up and play RE7 next month.

• Like 1

Meh, I don't really care to be honest. I'll just see if this generation gets a mid-release upgrade like the PS4 got. Would of loved to have either the Slim or Pro, but now there's no point.

Even if I was all out excited for the PlayStation 5, I'm too broke to afford paying $400 - 600 for it. There's not going to be many games and like any other AAA game, there's going to be updates and patches to make the game more optimized to run better on the console. That isn't always the case but for the majority of them they get these updates.

• Like 1

💯 100% Achieved - The Last of Us 💯

Le3b641.png

DLC

S25c0c4.png

Grounded Mode

Introduction

I made a pretty lengthy post a while ago explaining the difficulties I experienced getting my hands on the Grounded DLC for The Last of Us after the server shutdown, so I won't go over that again. But as for taking nearly 7 years to 100% my (probably 2nd) favourite game of all time (1st being Half Life) I don't really know what to tell you? Naughty Dog trophy lists are exhausting to even look at and they've been guilty of this since the first Uncharted. It's all meaningless tasks like 'get this many kills with this weapon' and 'complete the game on all 20 difficulties'. It's just straight up boring. I'll admit I had a great time getting the platinum for this game but only because I love the game so much. When it came to the DLC I wasn't interested. Thankfully, Naughty Dog have improved a little, with the platinum for The Last of Us Part II being much more accessible and straight forward. However, there's still time for them to add plenty of DLC which could change that opinion. In any case this post will be very short, much shorter than the time it took me to finally finish this game.

DLC Thoughts

So, Grounded mode, arguably the ONLY way to play The Last of Us. And while I do echo that statement a little, it's not as nuanced as say, Survivor difficulty for Bioshock. Grounded extremely limits your resources, enemies hit harder, you hit harder, enemies are more aware AND there's no HUD or listen mode. And for the most part, this really does make the game feel more realistic and your survival more impactful. However there are a few areas in the game where all that goes out the window and it becomes a game of 'run around like a lunatic throwing bricks and bottles until a clicker drops a bullet'. I'm specifically talking about the David section in Ellie's Winter. Jesus fucking Christ this took me hours to complete. Up until that point I barely had any struggles, of course the game is harder so I died a few times but ultimately it only takes a little while for you to come to grips with the way the difficulty works and you're able to adapt your playstyle to suit it. Failing that, there's always save scumming until you can successfully stealth through an area. But this fucking logging building or whatever it is, is just utterly ridiculous. For those not in the know, about 3 quarters into the game you play as Ellie, who isn't the main playable character of the game so doesn't have the same arsenal of weapons or any of the upgrades you've collected. Instead she has a pistol, a rifle, a bow, and of course her little knife. This particular encounter forces you to hold position against waves of infected for what feels like forever, with little to no ammo, and to top it all off a very large infected called a bloater arrives at the end to act as a sort of boss. There's no checkpoints until you've killed them all so if you die right at the end, you need to do it all again. I looked up strategies on YouTube but most of them were doing knife runs where you bait the enemy into attacking your companion, but this never worked for me, they always bit and killed me. So I just resorted to playing it over and over again and working out my own strategy. If not for the little "exploit" allowing you to one shot the bloater at the end (see HERE) then fuck knows, I might have still been doing it now (dramatic).

There are two trophies with this DLC, to complete the game on Grounded, and to complete it again on NG+. I don't think this is necessary but I play the game like twice a year anyway so I didn't mind. My NG+ run was much quicker, due to having all my upgrades obviously, but also cause I knew the difficulty better. Even my first run was probably a lot quicker than most because like I said, I've played the game at least once a year since 2013. There is an exploit allowing you to get both trophies in one go, but this requires having an already completed save. I didn't have this because I was playing on a US copy of the game in order to play Grounded, and all my saves are tied to a UK copy.

Anyway, this game is great and playing it on this difficulty actually made me appreciate it more. It's just a shame I had to jump through so many hoops in order to play it. One of the many reasons why I will never support online components being shut down, content being delisted, online-only games etc. In this case there is always the remastered edition which has everything loaded on the disc (or so I believe) but there's plenty of other games that simply won't be enjoyed to their full extent in years to come. On the subject of the remastered edition, I'm not overly averse to doing platinums all over again for games I love however, as I mentioned at the start of this post, Naughty Dog trophies are exhausting so I won't bother. I have the PS3 version and it's all I've ever needed.

---

As ever, I've gotten carried away and had a wee rant so this post was longer than expected. Next up will be my review of What Remains of Edith Finch. As for what I'm playing, I've jumped back into Call of Duty Infinite Warfare to attempt the zombies trophies and on the PS3 I'm going through a Hardcore run of Dead Space 2. Fun fun.

See you around!

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

1f4af.png 100% Achieved - The Last of Us 1f4af.png

Le3b641.png

Anyway, this game is great and playing it on this difficulty actually made me appreciate it more. It's just a shame I had to jump through so many hoops in order to play it. One of the many reasons why I will never support online components being shut down, content being delisted, online-only games etc. In this case there is always the remastered edition which has everything loaded on the disc (or so I believe) but there's plenty of other games that simply won't be enjoyed to their full extent in years to come. On the subject of the remastered edition, I'm not overly averse to doing platinums all over again for games I love however, as I mentioned at the start of this post, Naughty Dog trophies are exhausting so I won't bother. I have the PS3 version and it's all I've ever needed.

This was one of my big gripes with the PS3, and to a certain extent you could add the Xbox 360. Back in 2007 - 2013 a lot of games had a tacked on multiplayer. Doing Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 to 100 percent on the PS3 required so much time and effort I just wasn't going to bother with it. Tons of online, and Naughty Dog decided not only to shut down the servers for those games, but also for The Last of Us.

I had to move to a different home and where I live nowadays I have poor internet. So getting all that online for The Last of Us Remastered is going to be a bit of a challenge. It's roughly 26 - 28 hours according to what most people have told me, plus there is a chance you can fuck up with your faction after a certain point. However the PS4 version is definitely easier on the online trophies, as you can grab the DLC mulitplayer trophies just playing normally. On the PS3 version you probably had to boost them, not to mention having to pay money for the DLC.

I cannot fully complete the PS3 version of The Last of Us, so there's no point in starting now. When I finally get to finish the online for the PS4 version, I'll take my time playing on Grounded Mode.

Great job nonetheless. If you're struggling with Hardcore on Dead Space 2, I may try to give you some tips.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

This was one of my big gripes with the PS3, and to a certain extent you could add the Xbox 360. Back in 2007 - 2013 a lot of games had a tacked on multiplayer.

Tomb Raider 2013 is, in my opinion, the worst offender of this. The MP is so god awful and it makes no sense being there. There was no chance it would release without Square Enix forcing some unnecessary bullshit into it.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

However the PS4 version is definitely easier on the online trophies, as you can grab the DLC mulitplayer trophies just playing normally. On the PS3 version you probably had to boost them, not to mention having to pay money for the DLC.

Unbelievably I actually got suckered into buying the season pass for the game on release at my local game store. I just agreed with everything the woman was saying and off I went having spent £20 more than wanted. Anyway, it worked out fine because the game was incredible obviously and it meant I would get instant access to the Left Behind chapter.

The PS4 version is definitely easier. They even changed the requirement for some of the MP DLC trophies requiring you to complete a match with 5 downs/kills but the PS3 version was to complete a match without dying, with 3 downs/kills. Further proof that Naughty Dog don't have a fucking clue when it comes to trophies. 

I boosted all the DLC cause it would be pretty much impossible to do legit. I did all the main game MP stuff legit though, and had a great time doing it, although I was playing on release and there weren't any pros back then.

20 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Tomb Raider 2013 is, in my opinion, the worst offender of this. The MP is so god awful and it makes no sense being there. There was no chance it would release without Square Enix forcing some unnecessary bullshit into it.

If the online makes sense then I'm good with it. I just did the online for Tekken 6 which is part of a long time fighting series. Fighting games in general have online because that's the core and purpose of playing them. You play against other players, that's always been the case since Street Fighter started the genre a long time ago.

Overwatch, Fortnite, Destiny and so on have online and thus the multiplayer has a purpose of being there.

Tomb Raider 2013, aka the reboot, basically threw in a bunch of online when the series was previously just about all single player. I played the old school Tomb Raider on the PS1 and PC, so I'm sort of familiar with the series and how it evolved. Prior to Tomb Raider 2013 the games that released on the PS3 were all single player. So why would they throw in a bunch of online? Your guess is as good as mine.

Just Cause 3, which was also published by Square Enix, ran like shit when my console was connected online. Mostly a single player open world game with a few online trophies, but if you can't do proper online integration, then don't bother with throwing that crap in it.

26 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Unbelievably I actually got suckered into buying the season pass for the game on release at my local game store. I just agreed with everything the woman was saying and off I went having spent £20 more than wanted. Anyway, it worked out fine because the game was incredible obviously and it meant I would get instant access to the Left Behind chapter.

The PS4 version is definitely easier. They even changed the requirement for some of the MP DLC trophies requiring you to complete a match with 5 downs/kills but the PS3 version was to complete a match without dying, with 3 downs/kills. Further proof that Naughty Dog don't have a fucking clue when it comes to trophies. 

I boosted all the DLC cause it would be pretty much impossible to do legit. I did all the main game MP stuff legit though, and had a great time doing it, although I was playing on release and there weren't any pros back then.

Obviously, they're wanting to sell you a product. I personally find a good number of employees who work in the gaming department at a lot of stores to be absolute pricks. GameStop is infamous for hiring people who have no clue what they're fucking talking about. I stopped in at one last year during the summer when I picked up Titanfall 2 for dirt cheap. Little prick at the counter kept suggesting me a bunch of games I had no interest in buying. Finally he gave up, I guess he was told by his manager he had to sell those games by a certain date. That kind of pushy behavior isn't going to get anybody to buy your shit.

Naughty Dog threw in those Survival trophies for Uncharted 4. A game that I ended up liking, but those last two trophies were just a way to get trophy hunters to spend an excessive amount of time on the multiplayer. I could get people to carry me through them, but meh. Why should I spend all my time in doing that?

• Like 1

Naughty Dog really does know how to add furious trophies to their games. Look at the Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 DLC trophies (2 being a little better than 3), it's like they wanted you to play endless multiplayer before the servers shut down on PS3. I will say that at least COD games use to give minimal MP grindy trophies, except for the zombie stuff, and I still played them ever after having the MP trophies completed, because they were fun. The MP in uncharted just wasn't that interesting to me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Naughty Dog really does know how to add furious trophies to their games. Look at the Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 DLC trophies (2 being a little better than 3), it's like they wanted you to play endless multiplayer before the servers shut down on PS3. I will say that at least COD games use to give minimal MP grindy trophies, except for the zombie stuff, and I still played them ever after having the MP trophies completed, because they were fun. The MP in uncharted just wasn't that interesting to me.

That was basically the trend. Multiplayer that took a long time to finish. 

Look at Far Cry 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 1. Then compare them to Far Cry: New Dawn and Battlefield V. The online is substantially easier. 

You release something like Resistance 2 nowadays, people on this forum would complain and moan that the game is too grindy. 

Meanwhile, the same people stack 50 - 100 Ratalaika titles. Really goes to show how the EZPZ trend has made it to where the platinum count is basically meaningless. 

I said enough, I should probably just shut up.

17 hours ago, Spaz said:

Naughty Dog threw in those Survival trophies for Uncharted 4. A game that I ended up liking, but those last two trophies were just a way to get trophy hunters to spend an excessive amount of time on the multiplayer. I could get people to carry me through them, but meh. Why should I spend all my time in doing that?

16 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Let's not forget the microtransactions that were baked into the core of that survival game mode. It's so odd to me that this is the same company that are pretty much the definitive single player narrative game developer.

Call of Duty was pretty much the reason a multiplayer was put in to every game at the time. Everybody and their mother was playing modern warfare online, and so every other developer tried to capture some of that success. It's actually embarrassing when you look at some games that have these awfully implemented MP modes, like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood or Bioshock 2, knowing that all they were doing was following a trend.

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

That was basically the trend. Multiplayer that took a long time to finish. 

Look at Far Cry 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 1. Then compare them to Far Cry: New Dawn and Battlefield V. The online is substantially easier. 

You release something like Resistance 2 nowadays, people on this forum would complain and moan that the game is too grindy. 

Meanwhile, the same people stack 50 - 100 Ratalaika titles. Really goes to show how the EZPZ trend has made it to where the platinum count is basically meaningless. 

I said enough, I should probably just shut up.

No, you're absolutely right. When Resistance 2 came out, I didn't go on a forum and bitch about having to get 10,000 kills, I just fucking played the game and did it. Far Cry 2 I had no interest in doing at the time because of the unstable servers (even in 2008 when it came out) and the amount of time it would have taken to finish. But I didn't bitch and whine about it.

I love this website because of the stat tracking, organising boost sessions, the (mostly) helpful forums for its tips and guides and of course the community engagement like events etc. But fuck me there are a ton of whiny bitches on here that make me want to delete my account and never come back. They are some of the most entitled people I have ever seen and it's all about something as meaningless as a fucking trophy. Petitions to remove Mein Leben, begging devs to change the requirements of that one trophy in Fall Guys, complaining about a game releasing FREE DLC 7 years after its release because now their list is 'out of order', its absolutely pathetic.

Maybe it's me that's said enough now...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I'm specifically talking about the David section in Ellie's Winter. Jesus fucking Christ this took me hours to complete. 

Lol, I instantly knew exactly what room you're talking about ?. I haven't played Grounded Mode, but I had trouble with that part on Survivor difficulty too. Spent at least an hour on it, probably more.

My strategy was to shoot the first enemies coming from the little bridge with a bow, then run around in circles, stun the enemies with bricks or bottles and finish them with a knife. One shot in the head followed by a knife finisher worked as well, if I remember correctly. I didn't count on David too much, because he never did what I wanted. 

20 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Can't say for sure if it had the worst online mode, but I agree that it sucked and didn't need to be in the game at all.

As for multiplayer pros in TLOU, I've seen some crazy videos on YouTube, where a guy is losing on purpose for an entire round, to then make a comeback and do 24 kills in a row without dying. I'm so glad I've never experienced having a guy like this in a match. 

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

Tomb Raider 2013, aka the reboot, basically threw in a bunch of online when the series was previously just about all single player. I played the old school Tomb Raider on the PS1 and PC, so I'm sort of familiar with the series and how it evolved. Prior to Tomb Raider 2013 the games that released on the PS3 were all single player. So why would they throw in a bunch of online? Your guess is as good as mine.

To make more money with DLC like multiplayer maps, probably. I think that tacked on MP mode in games like this usually has paid stuff like maps, or costumes, or weapons.

Games these days have such a big budget, that selling a million of copies at $60 is not enough. So they look for ways to make money on top of that. I'm sure that smaller MP DLC and micro transations are more profitable than big single player story DLC. Which is sad. Although many AAA games nowadays have both.

Edited by Alderriz

15 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Let's not forget the microtransactions that were baked into the core of that survival game mode. It's so odd to me that this is the same company that are pretty much the definitive single player narrative game developer.

If I ever plan to do the last two survival trophies in Uncharted 4 then I'm going to have to do a bit of research. Whether microtransactions speed up my progress or not, how best to tackle each of the survival levels on Hard, whether a team will carry me, etc etc.

I did Uncharted 4 BEFORE the survival DLC came out. Really didn't like the game at first, it has a horrifically slow start. When it finally picks up, it's quite decent. Graphics are very good, dialogue has a sense of humor, Nathan Drake exchanging quips with Sam and Sully. But it tries to be too cinematic and realistic at times.

Then the survival DLC comes out, and people said four years ago it was going to take 20 - 30 hours to complete. I went "Are you kidding me?".

Call of Duty was pretty much the reason a multiplayer was put in to every game at the time. Everybody and their mother was playing modern warfare online, and so every other developer tried to capture some of that success. It's actually embarrassing when you look at some games that have these awfully implemented MP modes, like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood or Bioshock 2, knowing that all they were doing was following a trend.

Modern Warfare came out in 2007 and that was the game that put Call of Duty on the map. Everything before was basically set in WW2, but was a bit slower paced. Then MW comes out and you get a fast paced first person shooter, which both World at War and Modern Warfare 2 followed in its footsteps.

But even so, World at War and Modern Warfare 2 both have rather lenient online trophies than either Bad Company 1 or Far Cry 2. But in those games, they make sense.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Bioshock 2 on the other hand had completely tacked on multiplayer, and you know this because the PS4 versions removed them. Brotherhood is still unfinished on my trophy list because I just can't be bothered going after (AEOTH) Abstergo Employee of the Month. It just sounds like a lot of work requiring at least 5 people to coordinate with one another. It's a bronze trophy nonetheless, so yeah.

No, you're absolutely right. When Resistance 2 came out, I didn't go on a forum and bitch about having to get 10,000 kills, I just fucking played the game and did it. Far Cry 2 I had no interest in doing at the time because of the unstable servers (even in 2008 when it came out) and the amount of time it would have taken to finish. But I didn't bitch and whine about it.

I still think trophies in general should present a modicum of challenge. You have your participation trophies for doing the first part of the story, and that's fine. We've always had those.

Wolfenstein 2 was the first game where I've noticed people really bitching over a barrier because it was too difficult. You played the game yourself, you admit to throwing in the towel, but that's just it. That trophy wasn't meant to be obtained by everybody. It has to be earned, and completely avoiding the game altogether just comes off as whiny and childish.

I love this website because of the stat tracking, organising boost sessions, the (mostly) helpful forums for its tips and guides and of course the community engagement like events etc. But fuck me there are a ton of whiny bitches on here that make me want to delete my account and never come back. They are some of the most entitled people I have ever seen and it's all about something as meaningless as a fucking trophy. Petitions to remove Mein Leben, begging devs to change the requirements of that one trophy in Fall Guys, complaining about a game releasing FREE DLC 7 years after its release because now their list is 'out of order', its absolutely pathetic.

Even Brian (PS5Trophies) took to Twitter to try to pressure the developers to change the requirements of the Infallible trophy in Fall Guys. I have lost a great deal of respect of him because of this.

He's one of the most popular trophy hunters on YouTube, he's made numerous guides (though PowerPyx is better), he has a lot of fans and he gets money through AdSense revenue for his videos. I'm sure he is able to pick up a copy of the PS5 console early, but he has the audacity to go on a social media website to change the Infallible trophy. I believe he admitted somewhere that he earned the trophy legit and did the exploit at least two or three times.

This is a guy in his 40s, who started video games long before I did, and he's doing this bullshit? I mean what the fuck.

12 hours ago, Alderriz said:

To make more money with DLC like multiplayer maps, probably. I think that tacked on MP mode in games like this usually has paid stuff like maps, or costumes, or weapons.

Games these days have such a big budget, that selling a million of copies at $60 is not enough. So they look for ways to make money on top of that. I'm sure that smaller MP DLC and micro transations are more profitable than big single player story DLC. Which is sad. Although many AAA games nowadays have both.

DOOM 2016 had this too, but they took out their Season Pass deal and all of it is for free.

The problem is publishers expect these games to sell at least 10 million copies or more. As much as I think Marvel's Spider-Man and Ghosts of Tsushima are formulaic and rather generic, they have done a fantastic job of keeping the single player story relevant.

I commend Sony for that. Microsoft on the other hand gave up on single player years ago, and now are completely selling the idea of live service being mandatory on top of there being a fuck load of microtransactions, lootboxes and DLC. Phil Spencer has no idea what he is doing.

Edited by Spaz

On 9/24/2020 at 10:01 AM, jonesey46 said:

It wasn't quite as bad when I joined, and I haven't been here too long yet... But you are absolutely right, most of what's going on nowadays on this site is really not worth my time, so I meanwhile just stick to this corner here and read checklists, or check specific game forums... At least that way you can more or less choose with whom to interact. I am so tired of the generic "how hard is this platinum" threads, the endless search for exploits, the petitions... What the hell is up with the community. 

Dude.. how DARE developers release free content for their games! :P They should just abandon their product once it's released!! Or at least release content without trophies, cause you know, by releasing new content and new trophies you are forcing people to buy your DLC and play it. Ridiculous. 

I am usually not a discord user, but I checked out the PSNP discord and let me just say that I am really blown away... and not in a good way ? So yeah.. I am way less active than I used to. Just got tired of having the same discussions over and over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

It wasn't quite as bad when I joined, and I haven't been here too long yet... But you are absolutely right, most of what's going on nowadays on this site is really not worth my time, so I meanwhile just stick to this corner here and read checklists, or check specific game forums... At least that way you can more or less choose with whom to interact. I am so tired of the generic "how hard is this platinum" threads, the endless search for exploits, the petitions... What the hell is up with the community.

Ratalaika came in here a couple years ago and starting posting some of their games on this website. Basically they were handing out their games like Halloween candy, and the community followed suit. Since then the community has declined because nowadays people are looking for the fastest, safest, most trusted route to the platinum. I shake my head when someone discovers a debug exploit with an old game like Sly Cooper, and then a bunch of people just blindly follow what this guy posted because they just can't take the time to finish the fucking game the legit way.

The people that completely avoid a game because it has a difficult trophy list or a difficult trophy are the real sad ones. Avoiding Wolfenstein 2 because it has Mein Leben? Yeah, and some of these same people have 50 - 100+ Ratalaika stacks on their trophy list.

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

I am usually not a discord user, but I checked out the PSNP discord and let me just say that I am really blown away... and not in a good way 1f602.png So yeah.. I am way less active than I used to. Just got tired of having the same discussions over and over. 

There's a few groups on Discord that I'm active in but they have nothing to do with video games or trophies.

The PSNP Discord is cancer. Went in there a few times, will never go back to it. The community there can suck a fat one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Dude.. how DARE developers release free content for their games! :P They should just abandon their product once it's released!! Or at least release content without trophies, cause you know, by releasing new content and new trophies you are forcing people to buy your DLC and play it. Ridiculous. 

I am usually not a discord user, but I checked out the PSNP discord and let me just say that I am really blown away... and not in a good way 1f602.png So yeah.. I am way less active than I used to. Just got tired of having the same discussions over and over. 

I thought maybe this forum would be a nice place to talk about getting certain trophies and get some help or advice, but it is incredible how many people would rather complain about obtaining some shiny pixels and wanting the requirements changed than work on getting it legitimately. Yes some trophies are buggy, but most are not and are just challenging, but not impossible. I like this area of the forum, because not only do I get to read fun reviews of the games, but find out legitimately how their platinum experience was. It is also fun to see how much going for the platinum changes their views about the game ?.

The boosting group stuff on this site is nice though and there are people who legitimately will help out, as well as this area of the forums. It's nice to talk to people not just about the trophies, but also the games themselves.

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Ratalaika came in here a couple years ago and starting posting some of their games on this website. Basically they were handing out their games like Halloween candy, and the community followed suit. Since then the community has declined because nowadays people are looking for the fastest, safest, most trusted route to the platinum. I shake my head when someone discovers a debug exploit with an old game like Sly Cooper, and then a bunch of people just blindly follow what this guy posted because they just can't take the time to finish the fucking game the legit way.

Sly Cooper has a debug exploit? That game is not hard and I actually liked playing through it. I know that Jak II has a debug mode and I'm 1 trophy from the nice 50% platinum, but I feel like I should finish it legitimately, getting some of those orbs though is hard and frustrating with old controls. I know that most people did not platinum Jak II legitimately, because that platinum % would be a lot lower.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Sly Cooper has a debug exploit? That game is not hard and I actually liked playing through it. I know that Jak II has a debug mode and I'm 1 trophy from the nice 50% platinum, but I feel like I should finish it legitimately, getting some of those orbs though is hard and frustrating with old controls. I know that most people did not platinum Jak II legitimately, because that platinum % would be a lot lower.

Those orbs were difficult back then when the games were modern. 

Jak II gets a bad reputation because it was a big departure from the first game. They tried to appeal to the tough teenager crowd by making the characters more rough and rowdy. Jak himself went from a seemingly innocent boy to a tough talking brute who plays second banana to Daxter’s quips. 

The city made it annoying to get from mission to mission. Checkpoints were generally sparse. There were difficulty spikes like escaping the Slums. 

But be glad you’re not playing on the Vita. The games run like shit on it, and makes Jak II even more annoying than it already is.

It seems I missed one when going through my list of completed games to post about. I'm trying to keep this thread as a log of my journey, but doing it 5 months behind is, as you would guess, quite hard ?. Staying positive though and trying not to burn myself out.

:platinum: Platinum #157 - Human Fall Flat :platinum:

L5a7ec2.png

Introduction

I'd watched YouTubers play this game and whilst I thought it looked fun, I didn't ever feel the urge to play it myself. Well, lockdown happened and I was on the lookout for games I could play co-op with my girlfriend whilst we were off work. Thankfully I managed to pick this up for dirt cheap (I think it was like £4) along with the free additional levels, and you can't argue with that value for money.

Story

This game doesn't have a story. Unless there's some deep and fantastical lore that I'm not aware of?

Gameplay

Okay so the gameplay is key here. It's almost like a tech demo that's been turned into a full game with various levels. Essentially, you have an avatar and they move in a very odd fashion. It's almost like they're drunk. And you have to navigate them through various obstacles and puzzles in order to reach the end of the level. It's very physics heavy, with most puzzles involving moving objects, swinging objects into other objects, destroying the environment etc. but the interesting thing is, the physics are very realistic so in order to solve the puzzles, you almost have to think about it as if you were doing it in the real world. The game has all the associated jank that comes with these games, like colliding objects spazzing out and the like, but for the most part, each puzzle requires a little bit of real-world critical thinking in order to solve. There are ways to exploit this because even though puzzles have one clear cut solution, you can use the physics in order to bypass puzzles like you would realistically be able to do if it were real life. This definitely created some interesting gameplay scenarios and me and the girlfriend had a great time playing about with it.

Back to the movement of the character; they fall down super easily, they build up momentum as you move and they can grab anything. You can pull yourself up onto ledges but only if your character has the proper leverage to be able to do so. The game is definitely better in co-op as sometimes you can be hanging from a ledge, unable to pull yourself up, but your friend could hold you by the head and pull you up. There's many ways you can help, and equally screw over your partner in this game and, at least for us, it was a great laugh.

The character movement takes a little getting used to, but you can get to grips with the controls fairly quickly. Outside of that, the levels is where the game shines. There's some genuinely really clever game design going on with some of these levels, and there were a few times where I would try something, thinking that it wouldn't work but to my surprise it did! Each level follows a theme with your usual ones like a medieval castle, a construction level, an Aztec ruin and even a wintery level which was added as DLC. All of these levels are big playgrounds, with puzzles relating to the theme of the level. Our favorite was the water level because it had several different types of boats you could use and they all functioned in unique ways.

Platinum Thoughts

The trophy list is very straight forward, and most of them you will earn as you naturally progress through the levels. There's one trophy for completing the game in one sitting and this includes any DLC levels you have installed at the time. This wasn't an issue for us as we were having so much fun, and with no work the next day we just kept going. Eventually we had to stop but I ensured to put the PS4 into rest mode with the game still open and we just picked up where we left off the next day.

As for the level specific trophies, like I said most of them will come naturally but as you go back to clean up some of the more obscure ones you will definitely think to yourself "why the fuck would I do that?" and that's where I started to have problems with this game. Some of these trophies are so tedious and honestly a bit broken. Admittedly, these were mostly in the DLC levels, which I will cover shortly.

All levels can be played again at any point using level select. Making a lot of the trophies very easy to clean up as you can just rush to the specific areas and complete the required task. The only trophy from the main game that gave me any grief was 'Head First' which is for completing the water level going head first into the exit pool. There's also an opposite trophy for doing the same task feet first, fittingly called 'Feet First'. This means you're already in for completing this level in full twice. Feet first is easy enough as you can just jump into the pool, no problem. But accurately jumping in and having your head touch the water first is frustrating to say the least. Because the character physics are so exaggerated, when you jump and rag doll into the pool there's no way of guaranteeing you'll go in head first, so if you fail, you need to complete the level all over again. I had to do it an extra 3 or 4 times to get this trophy and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pissed off.

All in all, a fairly easy platinum that won't give you much trouble and can be completed fairly quickly.

Summary

Human Fall Flat is a fun game to mess about in with friends. I played the whole thing in co-op, only going solo for the silly trophies at the end. Co-op is definitely the way to go, I think the novelty would have worn off much quicker had I done the whole thing solo. Aside from the tedious task trophies at the end, we had a great time with it and it gave us some good laughs.

Best Bit

The ridiculous physics engine and the genuinely interesting and clever puzzles.

Worst Bit

The tedious tasks one has to do in order to get that shiny :platinum:

Arbitrary Rating

7/10

---

DLC

Sfa5599.png Dark

Sa887b8.png Steam

S9c5ec2.png Ice

DLC Thoughts

Human Fall Flat developers have committed themselves to releasing periodical free DLC, which is very good of them. I purchased the game when these three DLC levels were available, and so I played them as an extension of the main game. Every time you complete a level in this game, it loads up the next one straight away so if you have DLC installed, it will load those upon finishing the last level of the main game.

Each level offers a new theme, Dark being a spooky castle, Steam being a factory type level with steam pipes running through it, and Ice being a winter wonderland. All of them expanding on the main game by adding new gameplay mechanics which you need to utilize in order to complete the levels. Ice was particularly interesting as you had ice cubes and snowballs that you could use to climb on, but they would melt if they were in direct sunlight.

These levels was where I had the most trophy issues. In Dark there's a trophy for reaching the top of the tower in 40 seconds, forcing you to climb as fast as you can. Problem is, it's glitched. You can't be sure when the timer starts and it personally took me several tries, doing the same thing every time, for it to pop. But the award for most annoying trophy, goes to 'No Ice Ice Baby' which is for completing a see saw based puzzle without using a vital part of the puzzle, an ice cube. This took me a long time to complete purely because the physics were working against me the whole time.

In summary, I should have taken a break after getting the platinum but I chose to 100% these DLCs straight away. This lead me to being very frustrated with this game and honestly I was about ready to condemn this game at the end. So, if you're planning on playing this game, take breaks. The later DLC levels have been a much more positive experience for me, and I believe it is because I had time to play other games in between.

---

Well, there we go, this time I WILL be reviewing What Remains of Edith Finch next ?. Also I would just like to have a celebratory brag and tell you that I completed Hardcore mode on Dead Space 2 this past weekend which finally got me the platinum after 9 years. It was a great feeling to get it done and I'm super proud of myself ?. Thanks for reading.

Refer to the PM I sent to you on Batman: Arkham City.

Getting Hardcore Mode done in Dead Space 2 is still a big accomplishment. I almost died several times in that one section shortly after the Eye Poke machine. I found it funny that the game had you thinking you were all done because Isaac Clarke was resting after all the bullshit he went through and the credits start rolling, then you have to make your way back to the ship while avoiding debris. I died to that once and I got sent back over a hour. Was pretty pissed off. Second time I make it through, but my hands were trembling on my controller.

On 9/30/2020 at 0:11 AM, Spaz said:

Refer to the PM I sent to you on Batman: Arkham City.

Getting Hardcore Mode done in Dead Space 2 is still a big accomplishment. I almost died several times in that one section shortly after the Eye Poke machine. I found it funny that the game had you thinking you were all done because Isaac Clarke was resting after all the bullshit he went through and the credits start rolling, then you have to make your way back to the ship while avoiding debris. I died to that once and I got sent back over a hour. Was pretty pissed off. Second time I make it through, but my hands were trembling on my controller.

Yeah thanks for the PM. I'm just going to try and enjoy playing the campaign and then worry about the challenge maps after cause it seems like a lot of work. I'm already well into the campaign cause I was playing it back in 2014 but after collecting some of the riddler trophies, I got bored and left it.

For the last few chapters on Dead Space 2 I was using a fully upgraded Javelin gun which was one shotting everything. I pretty much didn't stop running after the eye poke machine and was just stopping everything with stasis. As for that last flying section I was taking NO chances so I watched a quick video so I knew exactly where I needed to be to avoid the debris, made it through no problem. Fuck, what a relief it was when I finally made it.

• Like 1

So now I remember why I dropped Assassin's Creed 3 so close to the finish line 8 years ago. Because I got a glitched trophy!

I did all the requirements for Head in the Clouds back in the day and it didn't unlock. Now I've come back to the game 8 years later, having completely forgotten about the whole ordeal and it's all come flooding back. No matter what I do, the trophy will not unlock, and the thing is tied to my PSN so starting a new game won't work.

Ach well, I'll clean up all the other trophies and then move on. No point getting bent up about it. This has only reinforced my belief that Ubisoft can get themselves to fuck.

2021 Announcement

I've decided that I'm going to take a year off trophy hunting.

Since the summer of 2018 I have done nothing but think about, talk about, dream about and actively play games for trophies. I have been obsessive about getting my completion percentage up. I joined Attack on Completion this year and have just succeeded in reaching my goal of 85%, something that I never thought I was going to do (I'm cynical by nature) and yet here I am. My 3 month lockdown helped immensely in allowing me to play games I never dreamed I'd have the time to complete, like Bioshock 2 or The Crew.

I really am proud of myself for reaching 85%, I didn't document what my percentage was when I started this whole foray but from memory I think I was at about 67%. I can push myself to 90% and then again even further but to what end? When will I ever truly be happy with it? As my percentage gets higher, the list of games in my backlog that I actually want to play gets smaller. So if I continue down this path soon enough I'm going to find myself playing games that I don't enjoy (looking at Destiny, Need for Speed, or the various Call of Duty Zombie modes). 

That is why I've decided to pack it all in, for at least a year. I'm probably still going to get platinum's in my games, as I always have done, but only if it's in a game I truly enjoy. I'm going to stop worrying about DLC and paying over the odds for it. I'm going to stop looking at forums before playing a game for fear of there being difficult or glitched trophies. I'm going to stop worrying about games getting NG+ modes added weeks after I've deleted it. I'm going to stop worrying, full stop.

I want to go back to truly enjoying the games I play. Not to say I haven't enjoyed anything since starting this, but there's always that little voice at the back of my head saying "yeah but trophies though". I want to retrain my brain so to speak, to just play a game and not worry about anything else surrounding it.

Before I go any further I just want to say; There is absolutely nothing wrong with trophy hunting, chasing a completion percentage or 100%ing every game you buy. I do not wish to offend anyone who chooses this as their hobby, as I have done myself. I have just had a sobering realization that I may be a little addicted and I want to try and nip that in the bud. Not a day goes by that I do not visit this website and look at my profile to see what game I can play next, and I don't feel that is healthy.

So, why 2021? Why not start now? Well, I've always been a firm supporter of New Years resolutions, purely because it gives a nice, clear start and end point to whatever it is you want to do. Hopefully, if I succeed, by 2022 I can come back with a much healthier view of trophy hunting. I love this hobby and by no means do I want to stop doing it forever, I just want to take some time away so I can focus on the good things about games and maybe take a little more time do some other things I enjoy which would otherwise be taken up by trophy hunting.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to go about this. I've decided that I'll turn off trophy notifications on all my systems. I'll change my account on here to private and I'll probably have my girlfriend change my password for me so I don't know what it is. I'll put a notice on this thread about my break with a full intention to return in 2022. And that's all I can think of, which seems like enough!

From now until December 31st it'll be business as usual, although now that I've made this decision, I will probably be active a bit less. I'll continue to clean up the games I've already started, be active on the forums and post on here with a trophy review every now and then.

If you read this, or any of my other posts on here, then thank you. I always did this for me, it was nice to just put my thoughts down, but the idea of people actually reading any of it is still insane to me. I fully intend to return in 2022 and to clean up all the mistakes I make during 2021 but hopefully with a much better and healthier outlook on trophy hunting as a whole.

Thanks again, and I hope you all have a wonderful 2021 when it comes :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

If you read this, or any of my other posts on here, then thank you. I always did this for me, it was nice to just put my thoughts down, but the idea of people actually reading any of it is still insane to me. I fully intend to return in 2022 and to clean up all the mistakes I make during 2021 but hopefully with a much better and healthier outlook on trophy hunting as a whole.

Thanks again, and I hope you all have a wonderful 2021 when it comes :D

I enjoy reading people's thoughts on games, rather than just professional reviewer sites, and their take on getting the platinum. Your posts were always enjoyable to read for me. 

I started doing more casual trophy hunting a couple years ago and doing it more now, but it's about finding a balance. If you look at my account, it would take me forever to clean it up and a lot of money on DLC that I probably won't care to enjoy, of course if there is a game I enjoy, I'll most likely get the DLC on sale. You should be able to have fun playing games. I found my balance with playing new games that I wanted to play and still going for platinums on them while mixing in a game that is already on my profile every once in a while, the ratio is probably 3 or 2 to 1 new games to old. I think my unearned dropped from 5700 to 5400s, but hey it's still progress and my completion percentage went from 37% to 55%.

I hope that you can find that balance you are looking for and can enjoy gaming again.

• Like 1

💯 100% Achieved - What Remains of Edith Finch 💯

L1052dd.png

Story

The Finch's are a bit of weird family. With each generation, all but one of the children die. Leaving only the sole child to carry on the family name. When a family member dies, instead of repurposing their room like any normal human being would do, they instead seal it off to preserve it and when new family members are added, they simply build an extension. You arrive at the abandoned, but still completely intact, Finch residence with Edith Finch's diary. Reading through the diary, Edith will recount stories from her youth and how each of the family members die.

Gameplay

I've always hated the term 'walking simulator' but it caught on and now it seems like there's no other term for these types of games. It always felt reductive to me. Sure, these types of games aren't the pinnacle of game design, but they instead exist to portray a story in a unique way. Well, I think this might be the best one I've played. It's very unique in the way it tells it's story. As mentioned above, the aim of the game is to make your way through the Finch house and gain access to all the dead relatives rooms. As you enter each one, a 'flashback' will occur and you will now be controlling that relative, moments before their death. As you play through all of these different flashbacks, each death is presented using different themes that represent the family members life. For instance, one family member was a child actress and later featured in comics, so her death scene is presented to us as a living comic book. The child ones are the most interesting, as they feature fantastical elements that represent their imagination or dreams. One scene in particular has stuck with me to this day, it presents a young man suffering from depression, who uses his wild imagination to escape from reality. I don't think I'll ever forget the music that plays during that scene.

It's very interesting the way each scene is done. I could go through them all here but it would be a disservice not to play it for yourself. The game is quite short and can be beaten in an afternoon.

Trophy Thoughts

As all walking simulators tend to be, the trophies in this are dead simple and straight forward. Most you will get on your initial playthrough and anything that you miss can be done via chapter select, taking only a few minutes. There is one for playing a particular memory scene again, which I never really understood why? But again, it can be done via chapter select. No platinum unfortunately but because the game is so short, it doesn't need it.

Summary

As walking simulators go, you can't really get any better than this. I found the story to be very engaging, so much so that I looked up a family tree afterwards to get a little more insight. The game is not long enough to get boring and with each of the flashback scenes being presented in different ways, it definitely keeps the experience fresh from start to finish. Highly recommended.

Best Bit

Engaging and unique story

Worst Bit

Replaying scenes for trophies might be tedious depending on your thoughts of the game.

Arbitrary Rating

8/10

---

With my year off coming up I am going to try really hard to get this thread up to date for January 1st. So that when I return I can have a fresh start I suppose?

I'll be back shortly with a longer post on BioShock 2.

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed this one and the variety of story telling. To me it was like watching 1000 ways to die as well. My favorite one may have been the camera one for the surprise ending it had. My least favorite was the animal one where you shift to all the different animal perspectives. The most messed up was the bathtub or the swings. This or Gone Home or Soma is my top for this game type. They do get a bad rap but usually have a good story or visuals for it. I think it is mostly cause most are non plats they are not appreciated.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I really enjoyed this one and the variety of story telling. To me it was like watching 1000 ways to die as well. My favorite one may have been the camera one for the surprise ending it had. My least favorite was the animal one where you shift to all the different animal perspectives. The most messed up was the bathtub or the swings. This or Gone Home or Soma is my top for this game type. They do get a bad rap but usually have a good story or visuals for it. I think it is mostly cause most are non plats they are not appreciated.

Oh man, the swing one really made sad. 

Not sure if you count SOMA in the same category since it had things you actually had to sneak around and avoid. Would the outlast games be considered walking sims too then? In any case, all three of those options you put up are good games. SOMA would be my favorite from them. 

• Like 1