jonesey46's Trophy Travels

jonesey46

On 8/29/2023 at 8:50 AM, jonesey46 said:

Ben-Affleck-smoking-perfectly-resembles-how-I-feel-working-2nd-shift-job

This reminds me that I have Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens that I need to play through....I like the Lego games but damn do they overstay their welcome if you go for the platinum.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

This reminds me that I have Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens that I need to play through....I like the Lego games but damn do they overstay their welcome if you go for the platinum.

Admittedly, I haven't played any other Lego games, but I think I can safely say that this is the grindiest one of them all, due to how much content there is and how many films it covers. I have a couple in the backlog thanks to PS+ and I'm not entirely put off from playing them but yeah, this game took a lot out of me 😅

💯 100% Achieved - Minecraft Dungeons 💯

L198d79.png

DLC

S5b8ddc.png Jungle Awakens and Creeping Winter

S0a0a7f.png Howling Peaks

S53cc06.png Flames of the Nether

S9de1cc.png Hidden Depths

S0a97e7.png Echoing Void

S4e7837.png Season 1

S32208e.png Season 2

Sed99ec.png Season 3

Original Platinum Date - 7th June 2020

100% Completion Date - 17th September 2023

Gap - 3 years, 3 months, 3 weeks

Reason - Look at the amount of fucking DLC this game has, and truth be told, I can't even be sure its done, there might be more to come.

Hardest DLC trophy - Alpha Centurion (2.97% Ultra Rare)

Main Game Thoughts

Back in 2020 I was burning through games at a fast rate due to COVID and its lockdowns. Minecraft Dungeons came out in 2020 and my wife and I were looking for couch co-op experiences to go through. The base game was a nice simple experience with an easy platinum. Since then it has gained a wealth of DLC that has mutated the game beyond what it was in 2020.

I wrote about the base game in this thread, which you can read here:

My opinions are mostly the same regarding the base game. The DLC has changed a lot so it's not as simple as it once was. But the main story and levels are largely the same as they were.

DLC Thoughts

When I purchased the base game I bought the 'Hero Edition' which came with access to the first two DLC packs, Jungle Awakens and Creeping Winter. Oddly enough, the first DLC didn't release with trophies and when the second DLC released, a trophy pack was added covering both DLC's. I played both together and posted about it in this thread, and you can read my thoughts here:

And that was that, for the time being. 4 DLC packs were released after this and there was a season pass to cover these. After that, they introduced a live service, battle pass thing that revolves around a tower of combat rooms that updates every week. So far they have released three of these battle pass "seasons" with the last one releasing in October last year. It's been almost a year and they've kept quiet when it comes to Minecraft Dungeons so all clues point to this game being dead. However, there is a 'Minecraft Live' event happening soon, so if there's any news regarding this game, I'd expect to hear it there. In any case, I plan to relish my hard earned 100% while it lasts.

The game does update every week with a new tower but as far as I can tell, its a rotation of layouts that could very well be handled by a computer. Wishful thinking? Maybe. I like this game but getting the 100% was a pain in the arse and a bit of a mindless grind. I don't fancy any more of it.

So anyway, one week after the release of Season 3, I decided to get back into this game and tackle all of its DLC. I picked up that season pass for a decent price on sale and I was all set to go. Loading into the game after all this time was intimidating to say the least. A lot had changed and I had SEVEN DLC packs to tackle. The way DLC works in this game is different to other games I guess? Each DLC added new levels and systems that integrate into the base game, fundamentally changing how it all works. Because of this, deciding which DLC to tackle first was a tricky one. Concentrating on one DLC at a time could potentially increase your total play time cause you might be able to progress one DLC packs trophies whilst working on others. And so, because I was so intimidated and had no idea where to start, I made a very stupid decision. I decided that I would tackle individual trophies based on rarity. Sounds dumb right? It was. Basically, I used the rarities from this website, ordered them by most common and just worked through them. My theory was that the most common ones were the most simple to get and working through them would prepare me better for the rarer ones later on. This didn't fucking work obviously and I dropped the game once my son was born.

10 months go by and I decide, yet again, that I will finish this fucking game even if it kills me. I also decided that I will just tackle these DLCs one by one in order of release. Because, that's how people who were keeping up to date with the game had to do it right? Sure, it might be less efficient, but in my head, it made things simpler to manage.

So with that in mind, lets talk about the DLC's in that very order.

Howling Peaks

Probably the easiest of the 4 DLC packs. It added a few new levels and some new gear. All trophies revolve around completing those levels and using that gear to do specific things. The trickiest trophy for me, was to beat the final level of the base game on Apocalypse +5 difficulty. It seems this DLC increased the difficulty levels up to Apocalypse +25. Difficulty levels are based around your gear level, to increase your gear level you need to be constantly upping the difficulty as you play through the levels. When getting back into this game, my gear level was nowhere near what it needed to be to tackle Apocalypse +5. So I had to grind. Quite a bit actually. It was okay though cause this better prepared me for the later DLCs.

Flames of the Nether

This pack introduced levels set in the infamous Nether area of Minecraft. The biggest addition to this DLC was the introduction of ancient hunts. These are very obtuse random dungeons that you generate by sacrificing gear and enchantment points. They also introduced a new currency in the way of Gold, which aside from collecting 500 for a trophy, was completely useless to me.

By far and away the most awkward trophy in this DLC is the Homecoming trophy. It's heavily reliant on RNG and has you bringing certain animals to certain locations during ancient hunts that may or may not spawn. These are rare spawns too but I managed to get very lucky with them and got this trophy not long after finishing the rest of the DLC.

Hidden Depths

This level pack focuses on underwater levels and in my opinion are the worst of the lot. You move slower and have to manage your oxygen which just gets in the way. This was a very simple DLC trophy wise with the only pain being to complete 10 levels affected by a raid captains banner. Essentially, raid captains can spawn randomly in levels and when you kill them, they drop a banner, you can pick these up to increase the difficulty of the level and for the trophy you need to do that 10 times. Straight forward but a little grindy.

Echoing Void

The last of the paid DLCs has you travelling to the End to fight some Endermen and the final boss of the DLCs apparent narrative. A few annoying trophies in this one but actually playing the levels themselves was kind of annoying too as it required some set up. To get to The End, you need to collect several Eyes of Ender from the levels of the main game and place them in The End portal which is in its own level. Trophy wise, I Need Them All was the grindiest one, which has you getting all item drops from every base game and DLC level. So you need to check each level and see what drops you're missing and then play the level until you unlock them. Other annoying trophies include Take The High Road which has you completing a level without getting hit by a shulker which is super annoying, Divers Dozen which requires you to dive attack 12 enemies with an elytra which can be annoying to coordinate and End Run which has you killing 1000 enderling enemies with a specific weapon. It was nice to get these DLCs completed but the worst was yet to come...

Season 1

Everyone loves a battle pass right? Minecraft isn't a stranger to dodgy monetization but in my opinion battle passes are some of the worst monetization models in gaming. Gain arbitrary points to get some meagre rewards but if you want the real rewards, give us money. Lame.

Thankfully, there is a handy exploit for levelling up the battle pass and you're going to need it too. To get all the trophies in this DLC pack and one trophy in the next one, you need to fully max out the first battle pass all the way to level 50.

Because three seasons have released, three battle passes have released. Thankfully, you are able to choose what battle pass you want to level up so nothing is lost to time.

As I said before, the battle pass revolves around 'The Tower'. It's a series of combat rooms and you start on floor 1 with nothing. Each floor you complete you're given the choice of a piece of gear and as you climb the tower you build up your character. Towers change every week with different floors, different enemies and different choices of gear.

The trophies of Season 1 mainly involve playing through and completing the tower. Like I said though, you need to level the battle pass to level 50 to get all trophies and this takes a LONG time. You can complete challenges that reset every week to get points or you can complete tower runs. The exploit I mentioned earlier involves you completing a tower, but before you walk through the finishing door, you quit out, back up your save and then complete the tower. You get the points which are saved server side and then you can download your backed up save to repeat this process over and over again getting points every time. Boring? Yes! But a hell of a lot quicker than doing it legit. There's something about exploiting something that was made to exploit people out of their money. It's like sticking it to the man!

Season 2

Because the tower barely changes due to its nature, a lot of the trophies for the second season revolve around the new battle pass and completing main game levels under certain circumstances. There's also a couple devoted to daily trials which also have nothing to do with the tower. It's like they got to season 2 and already didn't know what to do with this live service element they desperately crammed in. Getting to level 50 on the previous battle pass gets you a cape! And a trophy requires you to beat a level wearing a bunch of shit from the first battle pass. Thankfully, the second battle pass only requires you to reach level 16 this time.

Season 3

Almost done. Season 3 comes with a new battle pass which you need to level up to 20 and a new free level in the jungle area. Once again most trophies don't involve the tower except for one very tedious trophy. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here aren't we Mojang?

The tedious trophy involves killing 100 tower guards. Tower guards are unique to the tower and can spawn on certain floors. Spawns aren't random and depend on the current weeks tower. A tower might not have any, might only spawn one, or could spawn over 10 of them. It's completely random and if there aren't any, you need to wait a week and hope for the best. This was my last trophy and the previous two towers didn't have any. This particular weeks tower had ONE spawn on a floor. I didn't fancy running the tower 100 times to get this trophy so I used an exploit that allowed me to kill the guard, quit the game and reload at the start of the floor to kill him again. It still took a while and was tedious but I finally got it done.

Final Thoughts

Minecraft Dungeons is a fun and casual dungeon crawler with all the charm of the Minecraft world. It's ridiculous amount of DLC has mutated the game beyond what it was at release but it's still a fun time. Trophy wise it can be tedious and at times, unnecessary. My wife and I played the base game together back in 2020 but I did all the DLC by myself. Having another player throughout your entire journey will go a long way towards your enjoyment.

My total playtime once I was finished was 108 hours. A lot of time to sink into a game like this. I don't regret it though and I'm glad to have the 100% on my profile.

Is the game dead? I can't say for sure. With no updates and no news for almost a year now it seems likely. That Minecraft Live event I mentioned is coming up and could potentially reveal new plans for the games future. Until then, I'll be playing something else.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 2

We about to start a true retirement plan here for poor old PS3 😂

Best of luck with the work ahead!! You sure have quite a few to tackle. From that list, what I also played myself:

Batman Arkham City - the main game is decent difficulty wise. The problem shows up when you tackle the DLC , especially the Catwoman and Nightwing trials 😆

Fortunately, the game is so damn good you won't have too many "I hate this" moments

Call of Juarez Bound in Blood - you need a solid boosting team for the money trophy and some story trophies are a headache to do (one involves shooting rafts with a ye olde cannon, it will take quite a few tries).

But just like Batman AC, the game is pretty damn good, you will have a good time with it.

God of War - yeah not even a reason to worry for that one 😆

Looking forward to the next updates 😁curious what you will tackle first! (And if the PS3 will hold up lol)

• Like 2

I've decided to make this whole PS3 thing a personal event, which I will periodically update here every time I make some progress. To legally differentiate my thing from @Copanele's thing, I've decided to call mine 'The PS3's Pension Plan'. The idea being that each of these games is a job and when all the jobs are done, they can finally collect their pension. It may do some part-time work here and there once it's over, but once it's done, it can finally rest.

CUvfu6X.png

and I'm happy to report that I have already completed the first game off the list! So that's one down!

PS3 Pension Plan Update #1

L66161f.png

Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic

Completion Time: 14 years, 4 months

This is a great little 2D brawler party game which unfortunately lives on a dying console. I can't imagine someone breaking out the PS3 and four DualShock 3's during a party to play this obscure game, but if they did, they'd have a great time. I got one trophy in this game in 2009 and then left it until 2020. The only thing stopping me from getting 100% in 2020 was getting gold on all challenges. There are 8 challenges and having now done them over the course of a weekend, they actually aren't too hard. Like with any challenge mode, it just requires patience and practice. The biggest problem this game has is its mandatory inclusion of the DualShock 3's Sixaxis motion controls. Certain moves can only be executed by shaking the controller in different ways. By far the most frustrating of the challenges is the juggling one which requires you to keep an enemy in the air as long as you can. To do this you need to fire energy balls at it to keep it up in the air, to create an energy ball you need to shake the controller. So you need to shake, aim and fire accurately very quickly. My arms were knackered when I finally did it. I'm glad to have this done. A completion time of 14 years is just insane right?

Arbitrary Rating

6/10

Edited by jonesey46
formatting, added an arbitrary rating
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

To legally differentiate my thing from @Copanele's thing, I've decided to call mine 'The PS3's Pension Plan'. The idea being that each of these games is a job and when all the jobs are done, they can finally collect their pension. 

My legal team is satisfied with the term 😂 😂

Congrats for this one! I think I also have that game, maybe claimed on PS+, can't remember, but I never had the urge to play it..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Copanele said:

My legal team is satisfied with the term 😂 😂

Congrats for this one! I think I also have that game, maybe claimed on PS+, can't remember, but I never had the urge to play it..

I believe it was free once upon a time. Honestly it's a fun game with a low key banger soundtrack. The motion controls are the biggest ask though, so if you don't feel like acting like you're having an epileptic seizure then give it a miss.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

🎃 Spooktober Update 🎃

Hey everyone! Happy Spooktober!

A couple of years ago I wanted to make it tradition to always play some spooky games every October. The tradition I set, was to play a new spooky game and replay the Resident Evil remake. The first because, well, playing a spooky game you've already played doesn't have the same effect does it? To experience true horror, it needs to be a new experience. And the second, because, well, Resident Evil is just infinitely replayable isn't it? At least for me anyway. God I love that game so much. Outside of those two traditions, any other spook-relevant games that I may want to play are fair game.

This years goals were as follows;

- New experience; Amnesia Rebirth

- 100% Limbo

- Semi auto-pop and finish the PS5 version of Resident Evil 7

- The annual Resident Evil run

Amnesia: Rebirth

Last October, I played both Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, as part of the Amnesia Collection, for the first time. I really enjoyed The Dark Descent and Frictional Games' other game, SOMA, is one of my all time favourites. A Machine for Pigs was developed by another team and it shows, it's a very weak game in my opinion. Frictional Games returned to the Amnesia franchise in 2020 with Amnesia Rebirth and thankfully, it's a full return to form. At time of writing I have already finished my first playthrough of Amnesia Rebirth and while I will be doing a full review in this thread once I get the platinum, I can safely say now, I really like this game. It isn't as good as TDD but it's a great entry into the franchise. Money is a little tight at the moment and as much as I would love to play this years Amnesia: The Bunker, I can't justify the cost. Hopefully it hits a deep sale sooner rather than later, or it might end up being next Spooktobers game 😅.

Anyway, Rebirth accomplished it's mission of making me pretty scared. The first few hours of this game had me on edge but like with all horror games, after a few hours, you ease into it and get used to its vibe. Frictional Games are masters at building an oppressive atmosphere and creating tension, and Rebirth is no exception.

Limbo

Limbo is a black and white 2D side scrolling platformer about a small boy in a very scary and oppressive world. Whilst I do prefer Playdead's other game, Inside, Limbo is still a fantastic experience. I first played this game a few days before Halloween in 2015. It's trophies almost all revolve around collectibles and it has no platinum. You can get one participation trophy for completing the game once and there's another much more challenging trophy for beating the game with only 5 deaths or less. I attempted to clean this game up in 2020 leaving only the 5 death trophy to get, which I tried to unlock a few times but I ended up getting frustrated and ditching it. So, three years later I returned to the game and got the trophy done in one night. I'm not sure what I was so worried about, its a short game and while it does have a few 'gotcha' moments, as long as you know they're coming they aren't a problem. I did a normal playthrough to remember the game and its puzzles, one failed attempt which ended about 75% through and then a final run which got me the trophy.

Resident Evil 7

Capcom released a free PS5 upgrade to Resident Evil 7 last year, as well as upgrades to both Resident Evil 2 & 3. Resident Evil 2 & 3 allowed you to auto-pop it's platinum trophies provided you got them on the PS4 (which I did) but RE7 worked a little differently. It auto-popped "some" of the trophies, but not all, requiring a little extra effort to attain the platinum and 100%. I held off doing RE7 because of this, when these versions released, I didn't have the time. Well, what better time to do it than Spooktober? I plan to go over this in a dedicated post soon enough.

Resident Evil

In years past I would replay the entirety of Resident Evil on Halloween. Well, I just don't have the time to do that anymore. Being a dad leaves me about 2 hours of game time a night once the kid goes to bed. So, I'm tweaking it a little and giving myself three days to finish a run of RE. With the third day being on Halloween itself. So I'll be replaying one of my favourite games on the night of the 29th and I'll be loving every minute.

So, what's everyone else playing this Spooktober? Do you have any horror recommendations for me? Let me know, and as always, thank you for reading 😊.

• Like 4

On 10/12/2023 at 3:55 AM, jonesey46 said:

So, what's everyone else playing this Spooktober? Do you have any horror recommendations for me? Let me know, and as always, thank you for reading 😊.

I'm not sure if it's technically a scary game, but I've had Prey on my play list for years and decided I should give it a go finally. I eyed The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan, but not sure I feel like jumping into that type of game at the moment, requires you beating it at least 3 different times. I couldn't do the last 2 playthroughs of the Quarry.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:04 PM, Grotz99 said:

I'm not sure if it's technically a scary game, but I've had Prey on my play list for years and decided I should give it a go finally. I eyed The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan, but not sure I feel like jumping into that type of game at the moment, requires you beating it at least 3 different times. I couldn't do the last 2 playthroughs of the Quarry.

Prey definitely counts. The atmosphere of Talos 1 is definitely spooky. Love that game, I really hope you enjoy it too. 

"That's not groovy!"

:platinum: Platinum #293 - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard :platinum:

L315182.png

I reviewed the PS4 version of this game back in 2020, which you can read below.

I covered the game and all of its DLC, so I don't intend to repeat myself here. This post will serve as a small review of the PS5 version specifically, and go into the journey I took to getting this platinum and 100% again.

As you may already know, the PS5 version of RE7 released alongside the PS5 versions of both RE2 and RE3. All three of them were free upgrades to everyone who already owned the games on PS4. Both RE2 and RE3 allowed you to upload your old saves and auto-pop every trophy you already unlocked on the PS4 versions. RE7 also allows you to do this but it does not auto-pop every trophy. I'm not really sure why, it seems to handle the old saves differently.

If you don't like auto-pops, I don't care. Go gatekeep somewhere else.

Anyway, the trophies it DIDN'T auto-pop were a bunch from the main game including some story and ending related ones, and then a bunch from the DLC including the painful trophies for completing both Ethan Must Die and Night Terror. Thankfully, it did auto-pop the 21 related trophies because fuck doing that again.

So, I played the PS5 version because I wanted to play through the main campaign again. But I wanted to secure the 100% before doing so. So I tackled all the unpopped trophies in the DLC first and, by utlising old saves, got as many of the campaign ones I could too. Once all that was done, I did a normal playthrough to clean up the rest. Despite not auto-popping some trophies, the game still recognizes that you've completed certain modes so all of your unlocks are available to you, making the game much easier than the first time round.

The first thing I wanted to get out of the way was Joe Must Die. This was for completing the End of Zoe DLC on the hardest difficulty and from my memory, this mode was pretty tough. I had an auto-save from right before the final fight so I only had to beat the boss to get the trophy. I had access to the dual gauntlet making the boss a cake walk. Right after this, I loaded a different save from my old 'no weapons' run, in the same spot right before the final boss. Again, the dual gauntlet (which doesn't count as a weapon) made the boss super easy.

Next up was Jacks Birthday DLC. The trophy was to get S rank in all stages. Thankfully, I only had to complete one stage at S rank for the game to recognise that I'd already done them. Then it was just another quick run to get the 10 minute time bonus trophy. I couldn't remember how to do this so I had to look up a YT video to help me out. Probably the same video I used 3 years ago.

Next up was Bedroom, the short 'escape room' chapter starring everyone's favourite camera man, Clancy. This is very easy and quick to complete but it took me several tries because I kept forgetting to take out the fucking knife before the final encounter, if you don't, you die instantly. I was being very dumb when I did this.

After this, I jumped back into the main game and dug out my old save from the 'use item box and heal 3 times or less' run. Thankfully I found it and did the last boss Eveline which unlocked both of those gold trophies as well as the trophy for getting Ending 1 (the canon one).

Then it was time to tackle Night Terror, the Call of Duty Zombies inspired mode. I was extremely out of practice so it took a few attempts but I got it fairly quickly. In all honesty, this mode isn't as hard as it seems.

At this point, there were only 3 DLC trophies left. Two misc ones in End of Zoe and Ethan Must Die. The two End of Zoe ones can be unlocked in the first 15 minutes of that mode. 

I left the best for last. Ethan Must Die is super tricky but if you know what you're doing and get decent RNG then it isn't too bad. I cannot recommend this video enough:

It's such a great and comprehensive guide that will trivialise this mode.

After that it was just a case of replaying the main campaign, which is what I wanted to do in the first place. I just had to make sure to beat the video tapes under certain circumstances and to save Zoe instead of Mia to get Ending 2 (the dumb ending). After that, the platinum and 100% was mine!

I had a great time revisiting this game and it remains my second favourite in the franchise (RE1 remake is still king). The PS5 version is the better version but it won't blow you away. The haptic feedback is pretty basic and the game looks great but it always did anyway. The increased framerate is probably the best improvement overall.

Arbitrary Rating

Back in 2020 I gave this game a 9/10 and my opinion has not changed. This game is fantastic and one of the best in not only the franchise, but the whole god damn genre.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

*In a South African accent*

"TASI!"

:platinum: Platinum #295 - Amnesia: Rebirth :platinum:

L345b3e.png

Introduction

Amnesia Rebirth is a direct sequel to YouTube phenomenon, Amnesia The Dark Descent. I played both The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs as part of the Amnesia Collection last Halloween and loved The Dark Descent. I wish listed Rebirth soon after but time flew away from me and all of a sudden it was Halloween again. I picked it up for a little over £3 (which is a steal) and made it my Halloween 2023 game.

Story

Anastasie 'Tasi' Trianon is an archeologist along with her husband Salim. They are flying over Algeria when they crash. During the crash Tasi experiences a vision of another world. She awakes inside the wreckage and quickly finds that some time has passed which she has no memory of. She sets out to find her husband and to recover her lost memories.

Full story discussion

Spoilers ahead

Spoiler

Just like the title suggests, our main character is suffering from Amnesia. It's a great system to use in games because when the character learns something for the first time, we're learning along with them.

As the game progresses Tasi slowly recovers her memories and they are depressing as fuck. Tasi and Salim lost their child sometime before the game takes place. And Tasi is currently pregnant with another one. Playing as a pregnant woman was definitely not something I saw coming.

In the Amnesia world, there is another universe known as The Dark World and it's where the main antagonist comes from. Tasi travels to this world a few times throughout the course of the game and every time she returns to her world, her pregnancy progresses significantly. When the game starts, she doesn't even have a bump and by the end of the game, she gives birth to a healthy baby (despite all the trauma she goes through, I mean god damn, give the woman a break Frictional).

So, the main antagonist is a high up person in The Dark World and has been rendered infertile by the use of Vitae. Much like the antagonist of The Dark Descent, they're using Vitae as a means to extend their life. Vitae is a substance that occurs in humans when placed under extreme duress, like torture. She wants Tasi's child and tries to make a deal with her, when Tasi resists, she places a curse on her and her team slowly turning them into ghouls. The ghouls serve as this games spooky monsters that hunt you in the darkness.

Eventually, you reach the antagonists tower and converse with her. It is here you are given the choice of three endings. The first ending has you taking your baby and escaping with them through a portal back home, but the curse is still in effect and it's heavily implied Tasi fully turns into a ghoul. The second ending has you handing over your baby to the antagonist knowing that she will be safe but being sentenced to a life within the dark world as a mindless ghoul. The third ending has you infecting the Antagonists Vitae supply to kill her but Tasi and her baby die in the process.

All three of these endings suck. They're all depressing as fuck and really put me on a downer. I experienced all three, one after the other, for trophy purposes of course.

As some of you may know, I'm a new father (although my boy is 1 next week, so I'm not sure 'new' is apt anymore) and this story really affected me. I don't think it would have had the same effect on me last October, before my son was born.

I really like this story, its very well written and performed. But I don't like the endings. Not because they're bad, but because they're so depressing. I'm being unfair here, a story doesn't have to have a happy ending to be good of course, look at The Last of Us. But I don't know man, these endings really affected me and I just couldn't see past it. It's completely a personal thing and I'm aware of that. This is a really good story and it has solid endings but I didn't like them.

The developer, Frictional Games, also made SOMA, which is one of my favourite stories in a video game. That game also has a depressing as fuck ending but its more existential than being deeply personal. Anyway, if you haven't played SOMA, play it.

Visuals

Rebirth is technically an indie game but it has AAA or atleast AA production. Visually its going for a realistic style and much like The Dark Descent, environments look astoundingly beautiful and detailed but character models look pretty bad. You don't see many character models up close though so it won't get in the way. As light and dark play a big part in this game, the lighting is suitably great looking.

Gameplay

Amnesia Rebirth is a first person, horror game where you explore various areas, solve puzzles, hide from enemies and light your way through the darkness.

Core aspects

Dark/Light · Puzzles · Enemies

Dark and Light play a big part in Amnesia Rebirth. Light areas make you feel safe obviously and serve as safe havens, although monsters can still get you in the light. When in darkness, the screen slightly changes allowing you to see clearly in the dark which is welcome because there's nothing worse than not being able to see a god damn thing in horror games. But when you're in the darkness, you start to gain fear. Gaining too much fear doesn't cause death because there is no death in this game. If you stay in the darkness too long or are caught by a monster, you lose control and the curse takes over, taking you back to a prior 'safe' place and allowing you to continue from there. You can stave off the fear by lighting your way with matches or your lantern. Matches are a consumable item found all over and don't last very long. If you move too quickly with one lit, it will blow out early. Your lantern requires fuel which lasts a little longer than a match, but not by much. You can use matches to light torches and candles which gives you safe havens in the darkness. I will say one thing, the sound effect of your fear raising is gross and a good enough reason to try and avoid it all together.

Puzzles in Amnesia Rebirth  rely on Amnesias great physics engine. Objects have realistic physics in these games and they operate the same way objects in Half-Life 2 do. Doors and drawers need to be opened and closed realistically rather than them just opening automatically after one button push like many games do. This really adds to the tension of the game when you're being chased by a monster and you need to turn around, grab the door and swing it closed. Anyway, puzzles usually have you collecting various items and combining them either in your inventory or using an in-world machine. Some require you to find symbols and turn valves to match those symbols and others require you to hit buttons or levers in a certain order. There are also some environmental puzzles like stacking boxes or placing planks over gaps. Nothing too taxing on the brain but they're always good because of the realistic physics. Makes solving them really immersive.

Enemies take the form of ghouls. Twisted humans who have been afflicted by the curse and given in to their fear. There are areas in the game where these monsters will be hunting you and you need to hide from them. It's typical cat and mouse gameplay. Compared to The Dark Descent there aren't a lot of these areas where you're actually in danger. Near the end of the game, a new enemy is introduced and these were suitably terrifying. They have lanterns and when they shine it on you, you gain fear at an alarming rate. They're really hard to hide from and you have to make sure you don't make any noise. You gain fear when you look at enemies so you have to manage hiding from enemies when not really knowing where they are, glancing at them very quickly to get a read on where they are.

The enemies aren't the scary part of this game though, once they catch you, all tension is instantly drained. The tension that the game builds in and out of these sections is what makes the game scary and then a sudden build up in tension when one starts chasing you. A lot of the game is scripted and I'm willing to bet there's a lot of AI manipulation going on in the background but on your first playthrough, you don't know that and it can be really scary. Frictional are absolute masters at atmosphere and tension building.

Music

The music for Amnesia Rebirth is comprised mainly of atmospheric pieces with nothing that really stands out. It does the job but when you're in the midst of gameplay, you'll be concentrating on staying alive. I will say that this piece was pretty affecting and comes at a heart wrenching point in the story;

Platinum Thoughts

This took me three playthroughs but can be done in two with prior planning. I opted for a blind playthrough for my first run and that's definitely recommended. Horror games like this can only really be experienced once.

Half of the list is awarded for completing chapters and finishing the game. There are some collectibles to get and you need to burn a lot of matches as well as break a lot of objects. There's a speed run trophy where you need to complete the game in under 2 hours and 20 minutes, which is super easy with a good guide and the use of a certain skip.

Also, a trophy returned from the Amnesia Collection which I really liked. It requires quitting the game at the first scare. I believe this trophy is also in Amnesia The Bunker and I love reoccurring trophies in series. 

Hardest trophy

31S653922.png Speedster - Complete the game faster than any Frictional developer.

Not difficult when using a guide AND using the skip exploit. But if you don't use those then the time is really tight. No one actually knew the time when the game released and it was slowly figured out through testing.

As always, @Optinooby goes above and beyond to make trophies easier for us and I cannot recommend his guide enough. Not only is it informative but really entertaining and funny too.

Summary

This is a great sequel to The Dark Descent and a worthy successor. It has a deeply affecting story that hit me on a personal level and I both love it and hate it for it. The setting is fantastic and quite varied when compared to its predecessor. A must play for horror fans and while it won't have you soiling yourself it builds a great atmosphere with thick tension that no other developer can pull off.

Best Bits

Great atmosphere and tension building, engaging story with affecting themes, amazing light and dark gameplay.

Worst Bits

All tension is gone once you actually get caught by a monster. Tasi goes through a lot of shit in this game and I really had to suspend my disbelief to get through it, in real life she would have died several times over. The endings are all depressing.

Arbitrary Rating

8/10 

• Like 3

My next post will be a triple feature going over three story heavy games. These are;

- A Memoir Blue

- Road 96

- Kentucky Route Zero

I loved one, liked another and absolutely hated another.

I'll let you guess which is which.

This will have to wait until I actually platinum Kentucky Route Zero, however. The reason I haven't yet platinum'd it is because I'm currently sitting at 299 platinums and want to do something special for the 300 milestone. I've deliberately left one trophy that I can quickly clean up after getting platinum 300.

What's going to be special about 300? Well, I don't want to give too much away but a certain cartoon has dominated my house for most of this year which my son has enjoyed watching. It has a game coming out soon and I plan to play it and do everything for the platinum but have my son actually hit the last button necessary to unlock the platinum. Got to get him inducted into trophy hunting at some point right?

This could all go wrong if this fucking game has the difficulty of Crypt of the Necrodancer or something. With like a sub 0.10% platinum. Could you imagine? It's a kids show so I doubt it.

• Like 1

Ignore my last post, I still have two platinum reviews to do before the triple feature. Here's the first;

"Let me out!"

:platinum: Platinum #296 - Quake II :platinum:

L66544a.png

Mini Review

Much like the original Quake, the masters over at Nightdive Studios have remastered its sequel, Quake II. I reviewed the original Quake last year and I had a really good time with it

Unfortunately, I didn't get on with the sequel...

As a remaster, this game is perfect. Nightdive Studios are one of my favourite developers because they really know what they're doing with this stuff and are clearly very passionate about their craft. I can't wait to play the System Shock remake when it eventually makes its way to consoles.

So what's wrong with Quake II? Well, Quake had a cosmic horror vibe to it with a large variation of enemies and levels. Quake II forgoes all of that for a military theme. You are a dude with a gun and you are fighting other dudes with guns. I didn't play Quake II back in '97 so I wasn't aware of this. The first level was fine but going into the second level and seeing most of the same dudes, the reality started to set in. It was a bit of a slog to get to the end and the game isn't even that long.

Unlike Quake, the sequel doesn't require any special actions to get the platinum. All you have to do is complete the main campaign and finish each of the expansions. I opted to play on normal because there are no difficulty limitations here, unlike with Quake where you had to beat it all on Nightmare mode. The problem I have with Quake II is that normal mode feels harder than Nightmare mode from the previous game. Sure you have more health but every fucking enemy in this game is a massive bullet sponge, because of this, all the weapons feel like water pistols and aren't fun to use.

Quake II is a 26 year old game, its clearly a classic so I'm probably way off here and in the minority. But I really didn't enjoy my time with this and as a result I phoned the platinum in. Sure I beat the whole of the main campaign cause I was required to but after that I just wanted the thing to be done. So I only played the final level of each of the expansions to get the trophies quicker. I have no regrets.

If you played and were a fan of the original game back in 97 then this remaster is a no brainer, Nightdive did an amazing job here. But if you're a newcomer and liked the first one, maybe give this one a miss because aside from name and style, they aren't all that similar. The platinum is very simple and easy this time around though, so it might be worth it just for that.

Thanks for reading.

Arbitrary Rating

5/10

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

:platinum: Platinum #296 - Quake II :platinum:

L66544a.png

Damn congrats for that one! Nightdive again hits the mark with flying colors from what I see :D 

If I have to add something...I believe Quake 2 is universally loved because of its multiplayer back in the day. Absolutely nobody that I know ever talked about the story in this game :D But damn, now we can see what the actual story is like 😂

I have to get and play these games...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Damn congrats for that one! Nightdive again hits the mark with flying colors from what I see :D 

If I have to add something...I believe Quake 2 is universally loved because of its multiplayer back in the day. Absolutely nobody that I know ever talked about the story in this game :D But damn, now we can see what the actual story is like 😂

I have to get and play these games...

I missed Quake II multiplayer because I was 4 when the game released haha. However, I did play a TON of Quake III multiplayer, particularly when it was playable in browser as Quake Arena. I also got into bunnyhopping for a bit and used to frequent bunnyhop servers. Good times.

The story in these games is always the same; close the portal, stop the invasion, blah blah blah. Its the same with Doom. But the enemy and level variety is where the Doom games and Quake I shine, this has none of that. Really disappointing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, triple whammy time.

I've changed the rules a bit though, originally Road 96 was going to be a part of this but since then I have played and completed Hindsight, another Annapurna Interactive game. Because the other two are AI games I've opted to swap Road 96 for Hindsight here. It fits much more nicely in with the rest anyway. Road 96 will have its own review after this one.

:platinum: Platinum's #298, #301, #303 - A Memoir Blue, Kentucky Route Zero, Hindsight :platinum:

L17fd0b.png

A Memoir Blue

This game does not need to exist.

Right out of the gate there with some toxicity. Alright, let me explain myself. A Memoir Blue is an interactive story that plays a little like a point-and-click adventure, you click on objects to progress the story. This "game" has no dialogue, no proper puzzles, a very strange blend of two incompatible art styles, one of which is ugly as heck, and the game only lasts an hour AT MOST.

The story follows a young woman who is a swimmer and has been awarded a silver medal. Her passion for swimming has driven her away from her mother and she has regrets. What follows is six very short chapters that show our protagonist dealing with memories of her childhood which eventually leads her to reconciling with her mother.

Okay, I'm not gonna lie, as much as I was NOT impressed by this "game", the climax of the final chapter where the protagonist and her mother embrace brought tears to my eyes. I'm a parent now, these things get to me alright? I'm not ashamed of it.

As far as Annapurna Interactive games go, this is one of their weakest, although not offensive in anyway. It just doesn't need to exist. The 3D animations are ugly and the way our protagonist moves is really unsettling. The 2D animations are very nice but like I said, they feel at odds with the 3D stuff which makes for a disjointed and strange experience.

Trophy wise, it's a walk in the park. A few specific actions during chapters and that's it. You can replay chapters at the end and while you do have to start from the beginning of the chapter, it's not a hassle as each chapter is so short.

Interestingly, this game is VERY similar to Hindsight, which we'll get to shortly. It's amazing how that game manages to do everything this game does infinitely better with much more finesse. BUT FIRST, I have to get some shit off my chest with the next one;

Lbe9097.png

Kentucky Route Zero

ZSbZnVI.jpg

I fucking hated this game.

Kentucky Route Zero is a point and click adventure game set in a surreal version of Kentucky, America. You (mostly) play as Conway, a delivery driver for an antiques store. Conway is making his final delivery to 5 Dogwood Drive, but finding this address isn't as simple as looking at a map. He's required to travel on the Zero to find it. A road that defies logic and the universe as we know it. What follows is 5 chapters of looking for 5 Dogwood Drive, whilst meeting interesting people along the way and visiting some odd places.

This game was released episodically over the course of 7 years. It was kickstarted and announced in 2011. Its first chapter released in 2013 and its final chapter released in 2020. That's a long time and for fans who were invested in each release, this game will be a big and important part of their lives.

I don't like to shit on things without explaining myself. I dislike negativity for negativities sake. I also don't want to diminish what this game has achieved and how important it is to some people. What I say here is completely subjective and based solely on my experience with this game.

This is probably one of the most 'arty' games I've played and art is meant to inflame. Well, this game inflamed me, I can tell you that for free. Chapter 1, or 'Act I' as each chapter plays out like a stage performance, had me intrigued. Surrealism isn't something I'm adverse to (Atlanta is one of my favourite shows) and this games world and setting interested me a great deal. The main element of this game I take issue with, is its dialogue, and by extension, its characters.

It's dialogue frustrated me to the point of frenzy. Being a point and click adventure, dialogue is not only important, but takes up most of the game time. I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm uncultured or just plain dumb, but the dialogue actually made me angry. Again, art is subjective.

Every single character in this game speaks in a way that makes no sense. They speak about things that aren't relevant to the current line of discussion. Each conversation meanders and digresses beyond its initial point.  Text is flowery and following what people are saying is incredibly difficult. I'm not saying it isn't poignant because I'm sure some of what the characters say does have meaning, but finding that meaning is a challenge, and probably unique to the players interpretation. Basically, no one says anything of meaning and the point of it all is lost amongst wordy words and lengthy analogies.

Playing this game felt like a fever dream. People speak English, but speak like they're talking in a different language. Objects and places seem familiar but behave in odd ways. Know what I mean? Something feels off.

And that is all to say, that I think that's the point. The game, at least I think, is one big example of life. Life is complicated, nothing really has order and nothing makes sense. Giving our lives order makes things easier for us but take all that away and what is there? You have to find the meaning for yourself. People live, people experience life and people die.

Like I said, art is meant to inflame, and this game certainly got a reaction out of me. I wanted to like it, trust me, but I just couldn't wait for it to be over. I played chapter 1 with the best of intentions, by chapter 2 I realised a second playthrough wouldn't be fun so I got myself a trophy guide so I can do everything in one go. I then swapped my trophy guide for a full walkthrough so I didn't have to waste time on side stuff and only did the stuff that made progress and by chapter 3, I started to skip all the dialogue. Trophies are simple by the way and a handy guide will ensure you get everything easily enough.

If you liked this game, I envy you. If you got it or it enriched you, I envy you. For me? This game was torture.

Lda24ef.png

Hindsight

Now back to the good part.

Hindsight is very similar to A Memoir Blue. It follows a woman who is estranged from her mother, however, in this instance, the mother has died. Mary has returned to her childhood home to pack up her mothers things and through those things, she relives memories of her childhood. What follows is a complete retelling of Mary's life and how her relationship with her mother impacted it.

For gameplay, Hindsight is incredibly basic. You click on objects and rotate them to move to the next scene. Objects will become transparent and show a new scene within it, clicking on this moves you through the object and begins the next scene. It's interactivity is its weakest point, requiring you to move the story along, however I feel the story wouldn't have the same impact if you didn't interact with it. So having it be a short film or otherwise wouldn't work.

It's story deals with Mary coming to terms with her mothers death and reliving those important and often painful memories.  It does what A Memoir Blue does but much better. By having the mother be dead, it shows that the time we have on this planet is all we have. Regrets mean nothing when that person is gone. I think it's important to note that parental relationships are complicated. Mine are complicated and yours probably are too. If your parents abused you, then you have every right to cut off all contact. I don't think this game is trying to get you to reconcile with your mother no matter what. I think it's saying that these relationships are a big part of our lives and no matter what, we have to move on. One day, it will all come to an end and it's important to break the cycle and ensure that what we do, is better than what those who came before us did.

I mention it all the fucking time I know, but I am a parent now and these things get to me. My parents aren't the worst in the world but I've got a list as long as your arm of things that they did, that I would never do to my child. We learn from our experiences and those who came before, its up to us what we do with that knowledge.

Trophy wise, it's simple. It has chapter select for cleaning up so I highly recommend just playing through blind your first time.

I found Hindsight to be incredibly poignant and well told. It helps that the voice actor for Mary, who narrates the whole thing did a fantastic job. It has a beautiful and hopeful ending and I enjoyed it a great deal.

---

So what did we learn? Annapurna can be a little hit and miss but as I've said before, no matter what, they always publish an interesting game. Good or bad, subjective or otherwise, they're always interesting. Except for A Memoir Blue, that game really is pointless.

Art is subjective and relies heavily on our own experience and interpretation. Both A Memoir Blue and Hindsight spoke to me as a parent. But KR0 lost me completely, I didn't get it, and I'm okay with that.

If hell truly exists, and I end up there, I'm sure the devil will make me play Kentucky Route Zero, forever.

Arbitrary Ratings

S38ab3c.png 4/10

Sc72775.png 3/10

S6315bc.png 7/10

*Remember, my arbitrary ratings are not subject to the games quality. The Last of Us Part II is still in the 5/10 section and even I'll admit that game is at least a 9/10 in terms of quality.

• Like 4

"Homegirl!"

:platinum: Platinum #299 - Road 96 :platinum:

Lad40b4.png

Mini Review

Road 96 is a story heavy game with some light survival mechanics. It works in a very interesting way which results in a unique experience. It reminded me a lot of both Life is Strange and Firewatch.

You are in Petria, a country vaguely resembling America but with some Russian or European dictatorship vibes. The current government is a tyrannical force that is locking up young people to prevent them from voting for the left-wing opposition. You play as several, nameless teenagers who are trying to escape Petria to get away from its oppressive regimes. To escape, you need to get to Road 96 where the border is. This is a first person adventure game which follows the stories of 7 characters. As each of your playable teenagers are making their way to the border, you encounter one of these characters in a chapter of their story. These chapters appear randomly and so no two playthroughs are the same. A number of the chapters are integral to moving the central story forward and will appear in a specific order, but most of the chapters are random. Typically, you will experience around 6 chapters before making it to the border. Once you get there, you are required to make a decision of how you will cross, you can pay someone to escort you through a tunnel, you can sneak on the back of a truck, you can brave the mountain and go over the border. The choice is yours. Any one of these choices can lead to escape, but also detainment or death. Once you cross the border, you begin the journey again as a new face and continue on to experience more of the central characters stories.

We have Zoe, a young girl who has run away from her powerful father. There's Alex, a tech genius who is being radicalized by a terrorist group. John, a former member of said terrorist group who just wants to do the right thing. Fanny, a local police officer who is torn between doing her duty and doing what's right. Stan & Mitch, a couple of idiot criminals who want to protect a newscaster. Sonya, the aforementioned newscaster and a mouthpiece for the oppressive government. And finally, Jarod, a man looking to avenge the death of his daughter.

Each chapter will progress their story and the first four of those characters move the central story along. Once you make it to Road 96 with your sixth teenager, the ending of the game will take place. The trouble with this, is that those latter three characters feel unimportant in the grand scheme of things. On every loading screen, a symbol for each of these characters is on the bottom right of the screen, with a percentage indicating how far you are through each story. Those four important characters were at 100% by the end but the other three weren't. Couldn't they have shortened their stories to fit them in? Or prolong the length of the game to make sure every player sees them. You can enter NG+ to see those missing stories, but by that point I wasn't invested anymore and the characters weren't all that interesting anyway.

The ending you get is based on decisions you make throughout your playthrough. It's mostly decided by your dialogue and important dialogue options are marked with symbols to let you know that your choice will have consequences. Even though you play as multiple characters throughout the game, you have to keep your choices consistent to get your desired ending. There's no role-playing options for your individual characters.

Those survival mechanics I mentioned are basic but can have an impact on each character. Energy is your first resource. Each time you finish a chapter, you have to decide how you'll keep moving towards Road 96. You can walk, hitchhike, catch the bus or even steal a car. Each action has an effect on your energy level. Walking takes up more energy than driving obviously. You can gain energy by sleeping or by eating and drinking. I never once ran out of energy so I'm not sure what happens if you do.

Your other resource is money. You can steal money or even earn money during story moments. You can spend money on food and drink to regain energy or you can even give it away to a political cause or a homeless person. One of my teenagers got to Road 96 with very little money because I opted to spend it or give it away. Because of this I had to cross the border with very little resources and ended up getting caught and shot to death. Even though this is a story heavy game, the player actions go a long way to giving you a place in its world which makes the story have more impact.

If you're an old man, you probably won't like this game. It's a little zoomer-y and has some pretty cringe dialogue (I mentioned its like Life is Strange right?). But, those four main characters have a lot of heart and are experiencing real and relatable struggles. I found myself rooting for these characters and got really invested in their stories. I actually got one of them killed during the ending and this affected me quite a bit.

Trophy wise, this game is a breeze but there are a couple of missables. You can clean them up post game but because the chapters appear randomly, it may take a while to find the right one. A non-spoiler guide by your side might be your best bet.

Road 96 is a definite recommend from me. It's story is fantastical enough to be enjoyable but also relatable in a depressing way. The UK is nothing like Petria, but the current government sure look like they're trying to steer it in that direction. Road 96's strong point is its characters though and I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing their stories and having an impact on where they went.

Arbitrary Rating

8/10

There is a prequel game called Mile 0 but it doesn't seem to follow the same format of travelling around as a nameless character experiencing other peoples stories. Instead it follows Zoe and her friend in a more linear fashion. I may check it out eventually but I'm in no rush to, due to it's differences to this game.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Milestone Post 🚩

"FOR REAL LIFE!"

:platinum: Platinum #300 - Bluey

1Ld1411a.png

This fucking cartoon has been a mainstay in our household since November last year when our son was born. Now, if you have children, you might think "mate, how can a newborn watch telly?" and you'd be right to ask that, because the answer is, they can't. But that didn't stop my wife and I binging it after being exposed to it through our social media algorithms which very quickly, and scarily I might add, learned we had a child.

Bluey is a cartoon about Australian dogs and the one perfect word to describe it would be "wholesome". It's funny as hell but it doesn't shy away from the more serious aspects of having children and family life in general. Several episodes have brought my wife and I to tears. It's an awesome show regardless if you have kids or not, so I promise you, you won't regret watching it.

So, the shows awesome, what about the game? Ehhhhhhhh... It's okay. Now my initial plan was to meme hard and say stuff like "GOTY JUST DROPPED" etc. but it would be disingenuous even in jest. Bluey the Videogame is a 2D collectible hunting game with five levels. Except there's only three and a half levels because one is repeated and the fifth doesn't actually have any main content. You can explore the Heeler house, the park, the creek and the beach. The main "missions" has you playing out original episodes of Bluey where the family look to gather pieces of a lost map to find some treasure. These episodes last no longer than 10 minutes and the gameplay has you finding an item and bringing it to a specific spot. Once the missions finishes, you're able to explore these levels for additional collectibles which fills up Blueys sticker book. It does allow for 4 player co-op and while my son is still too young to play videogames I will most certainly dig it out once he's old enough (provided he actually likes Bluey that is). There are 4 mini-games you can also play which are very underwhelming. There's keepy-uppy with a balloon, the floor is lava and the other two are variations of tag.

Trophy Thoughts

Trophy wise, it's a walk in the park, as expected. Although some trophies were bugged which I had to de-patch the game for (I bought a physical copy). It will take no longer than a couple of hours. Mostly collecting everything and playing all the mini-games.

I wanted to make this my 300 milestone because of how important this show has been in our household this year, our first year as a family with our little boy. Although he's too young to know what Bluey is really, it still reminds me of him. The final trophy I needed was to score 3 goals, I handed him the controller and although he thought it was a toy and started flailing it around, I eventually managed to guide him to scoring the three goals needed to unlock the platinum. A nice little moment that will live on my profile forever.

Summary

Bluey the videogame is a very underwhelming title with a laughable amount of content for the price they're charging. It's a shame too cause the show is so good and easily one of the best kids shows out there. If you're a fan of the show and you pick this up on a DEEP sale and you might have some fun with it, otherwise, give it a miss.

Arbitrary Rating

The show? 10/10

The game? 4/10

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 4