Trophy Guides

Sly Ripper

I explained already how guides have their own purpose, and tips would too.

Ultimately, it's obviously your site to manage as you choose. But every site has a key feature that makes it worth coming back to, and in every major trophy site, that feature has been in-depth guides and the fun of writing them. I don't think PSNP as it stands will have any feature worthy of extended exploration, and so I think by choosing to disallow guides entirely, you condemn PSNP to a "goof-around" site, something where I can click around the trophies while bored, but which never gives me any reason to stick around.

I really don't see why you're so opposed to guides. At the very least, I see no reason why there shouldn't be an unofficial section of the forums where people like myself could take our wish for full-on guides.

I certainly don't feel the same way about full-on trophy guides as you do. The majority don't stick around .com for the fun of writing guides, I'd say those that actually write guides are a much smaller portion of the community than those that use them.

With that in mind, why not take your talents to the tips section of the site and write up all the tips for a game you enjoy? The 1000 character limit is a little... limiting... ill give you that but most of the guides I've seen don't necessarily explain things in outrageous amounts of detail anyways. I've written a number of tips and all of them I've found ways to keep them under 1000 characters. Some tips might be tougher, I understand, which is why I'm a proponent of upping it to 1500 or 2000. Traditional guides also often rely on YouTube videos as well, just as the tips will need to.

I think some people are more interested in "making a name for themselves" as a trophy guide writer and "owning" a game's trophy guide, moreso than actually helping people (though it's a fortunate side effect). The practically anonymous tips don't carry the same clout as a "official" trophy guide.

Dreakon, yes. That is the reason guide writers (including myself) like writing guides. Desire for power, as silly as calling guide authorship "power" may seem, is human nature. That less-than-selfless motivation doesn't reduce the fact that under guides, people produce the most dedicated coverage - because they know the better their guide is, the more attention they'll get.

• Like 1

I think that's exactly the reason Sly probably wants to stick with the trophy tip style. I'd personally rather have the site full of tips of varying quality with the most correct/well-written ones that get bumped to the top, then a bunch of trophy guides written by individuals that did it more for the "power" than love of the game and helping others.

I've come across a number of guides that had flat-out wrong information in them, and there are plenty of guides that don't go into an appropriate amount of detail considering the opportunity to do so. Possibly a result of rushing to be the first to write a guide. So I disagree that the motivation of guide ownership and attention will naturally lead to higher quality, and I think the tips can/will prove that over time.

EDIT: Going back on topic a bit, since the guides are automated to use the highest rated tip... maybe it would be possible to use the top two rated tips? Or only use the top two rated tips if both of them have at least one "Works" votes. While they may often tell the same story, for many trophies there are multiple ways to go about it, multiple "best spots" to farm it, and in some cases, details that one person may leave out (like whether or not a trophy is miss-able, etc) despite the tip being otherwise well received. Seperate them by simple 'Tip 1:' and 'Tip 2:' indicators.

If we're sticking to the 1000 characters thing, might as well pack as much information into the tip guides as possible... right? Just a thought. :)

a perfect example of the fact that you can't please everyone all the time...

I love the "TIPS" idea... you can still "challenge" a tip that was written if you have a better, faster, easier way to get said trophy... I think that we are all wasting finger strokes here... a great system has been put into place and it allows everyone to be involved and it gives everyone a sense of ownership for the site... when i start to write tips i feel like im investing into a site and the more i want to see it succeed....

and you can make a "tip" as lengthy as you want really so at the root you can still have a "guide" at the end of the day...

just my thoughts on it...

Yeah, and the tip thing isn't going to stop me from writing one for every trophy, and calling it my guide.

I agree with this 100%

i still don't see why we are still arguing about this.

To the general public: You want a full and thorough trophy guide? then piss off to another site, we are not keeping you here in chains you know. its the internet and you can use any site you want. Sly as founder of this site has the final word as to what system is used and he made it clear that he does not like the way other sites do the guides and so he will not have that system here and after observing for a year and a half at how the TGT over at .com manage their system, I must say for myself that i think that it is indeed an inefficient, time wasting, balls busting, unfair, shitty system.

I like the different angle sly is taking with tips, and the idea of equality of the general community when it comes to posting tips. all is equal. no one gets to wave his e-peen around and slap people in the face with it saying "hey i got such and such guide and it is better than that guide" there no over inflated egos resulting from a site trophy that pats you on the back and says "good job, kid. You wrote ## many guides" there's no time constraints. Which means anyone can submit a tip at any time at all. also the rating system is a great way to measure accuracy for trophies with several tips provided it is not abused. we all seen what people do with the rating system over at the AI section at .com, and the fact that all games are considered equal, no major and non-major horse shit. Because one game can be a major for someone but a non-major to someone else based on their gaming preference, Hell if it was my saying I'd put Ace combat up for major calling and take down MW3 to non-major calling.

All I am saying is. Don't knock it till you try it (;

• Like 1

Yeah, and the tip thing isn't going to stop me from writing one for every trophy, and calling it my guide.

There you go, that's perfect. There's pride to be had in having your name on the majority of the highest rated tips for any given game. The only requirement? Good, accurate, well-written tips! Shocking! :)

• 7 months later...

Do you think when we click on an individual trophy, like this: http://psnprofiles.c.../Hack-and-slash and the trophy has a tip, that we don't have to hit "Show Tips", but instead the tips show expanded automatically?

Oh, and BTW it's not my browser now, I updated to firefox finally. :yay:

I believe the reason it doesn't expand automatically is to prevent spoilers, or at least I seem to recall someone saying that. :S

It would be a nice feature to be able to select if we wanted them to expand automatically or not, but in the long run it really isn't a big deal if we have to continue to select :show tips."

Parker

Do you think when we click on an individual trophy, like this: http://psnprofiles.c.../Hack-and-slash and the trophy has a tip, that we don't have to hit "Show Tips", but instead the tips show expanded automatically?

Oh, and BTW it's not my browser now, I updated to firefox finally. :yay:

I believe the reason it doesn't expand automatically is to prevent spoilers, or at least I seem to recall someone saying that. :S

It would be a nice feature to be able to select if we wanted them to expand automatically or not, but in the long run it really isn't a big deal if we have to continue to select :show tips."

Parker

Added a setting here: http://psnprofiles/com/?settings

ztHjtO.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So the ps3trophies.com guides won't get carried over to this land ? damn it no new game+

People who have written guides on .com are free to port their guides here if they want to, .com will just remove their guide from there if they find out