Getting all stars in time trials

Cyvnyde

I'm in the middle of earning all stars for the DLCs and am stuck on a few time trials and had a couple of questions:

1) You're generally stuck with using one car for time trial challenges. I take it there aren't any "better" ones that you can select if you, for example, reach a certain level?

2) What settings do you use to complete these challenges? I mean your gear type, braking assist, etc.

No matter how well I take corners, the AI just seems to speed right ahead of you, even on straight roads. I've looked at a few YT videos and they just show them beating the times, not necessarily explaining how they're doing it or giving tips, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cyvnyde

Usually you can find the best car for any event by looking at the leaderboards.

I used manual gearbox for the whole game, I think you could get away with automatic but things like brake assist, hardcore are a no-no.

Almost every time, the ghost has a rolling start which means you have to do at least 2 laps to have a chance to beat it. Like in races, you have to be faster than the AI in corners, so try to cut as much as possible without getting a penalty. Drifting is a big waste of time so learn the limits of the car to get as much traction as possible.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FR_Gigastor said:

Usually you can find the best car for any event by looking at the leaderboards.

I used manual gearbox for the whole game, I think you could get away with automatic but things like brake assist, hardcore are a no-no.

Almost every time, the ghost has a rolling start which means you have to do at least 2 laps to have a chance to beat it. Like in races, you have to be faster than the AI in corners, so try to cut as much as possible without getting a penalty. Drifting is a big waste of time so learn the limits of the car to get as much traction as possible.

Thanks for the advice. When you say brake assist and hardcore are a no-no, do you mean to leave those settings as they are or turn them off? I know turning brake assist off means you can get greater speed. This was one video I found that shows the guy smashing through the track I'm currently stuck on. I'm just generally finding that no matter how well I take a corner (the second one in the video, for example, where I got around it at about 130 MPH), the AI still manages to zoom ahead at a speed that's hard to catch up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTTJLPnQno

23 minutes ago, Cyvnyde said:

Thanks for the advice. When you say brake assist and hardcore are a no-no, do you mean to leave those settings as they are or turn them off? I know turning brake assist off means you can get greater speed. This was one video I found that shows the guy smashing through the track I'm currently stuck on. I'm just generally finding that no matter how well I take a corner (the second one in the video, for example, where I got around it at about 130 MPH), the AI still manages to zoom ahead at a speed that's hard to catch up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTTJLPnQno

Brake assist must be turned off.  Honestly, I do not know what hardcore is.... in this sense.

• Like 2

Yes, brake assist must be off as it'll slow you down way too much to have any chance of beating target times. I completed everything using automatic gearbox, no brake assist and I didn't even attempt using the hardcore setting. But yeah, they definitely can all be done using automatic gearbox, although I assume manual gearing would produce better times if you know what you're doing (which I don't, lol, hence why I always use automatic in any racing game). Finding the correct line through the corners is pretty important though to keep your speed up, and learning where you can really push and where it's best to slow down earlier is also crucial in nailing those targets.

• Like 4

Hardcore mode is something they added in a patch. Basically it makes the cars driftier and harder to control, which you don't really want. Some cars like the Venom are already difficult to tame as it is.

Brake assist should definitely be off because it takes control away from you, you want to be able to go as fast as you want. Manual transmission allows you to use more of the RPM range, which is useful if you want to take corners faster.

That guy in the video is pretty good at keeping the Lycan in check. Perhaps you are too heavy on the throttle ? Try to be more gentle while turning, accelerate gradually when you're exiting a corner. Basically "slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

• Like 1

I used break assist from the middle of the driveclub tour and it helped a lot in races with those stupid crazy turns. For the end game time trials it is probably best to disable it. Either way it's all luck based, you do a huge number of retries and eventually you get lucky and win. 

• Like 1

On the topic of time trials, what does everyone make of Venom Hot Lap 2? I just need to shave 1 more second off my time to beat it and realised, whilst it is difficult, it's not a good kind of difficult. I'm generally someone that likes a challenge as it provides a greater reward.

The ghost (specifically the 3-star ghost) feels more cheap than providing a genuine, realistic challenge. It feels like it's clearly not a human that has set that time... more like the AI, based on a fastest path algorithm set by the developers. It also feels like the ghost was uploaded before the heavy rain condition was set. Not once, even slightly, does the AI slide from the heavy rain. Yes, I know how to handle the vehicle. And yes, I realise you can get through the track without sliding, but the way the AI speeds around corners at such speed without sliding once can just feel absurd.

I read that this track was by far the hardest and, holy c##p, they weren't wrong. My reward for beating it? Satisfaction at overcoming a tough challenge. My other reward and real motivation to persevere? A nice, cold beer sat in the fridge ready for the drinking!

The majority of the DLC, such as the races & drifts, are quite straightforward and shouldn't pose a problem. That being said, there are 2 or 3 time trial tracks which you have to get 3 stars on which make the difficulty go up to 9/10 or even 10/10. Take Back to Black in the AMG pack for example, you have to get a time of 1.17 to attain all stars, and the world record for this track is 1.12.259. So in other words, you must be less than 4.8 seconds away from the world record... that is just ludicrous. Other time trial events follow a similar pattern so get ready for perhaps hours of frustration and practice - not fun stuff at all.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cyvnyde said:

The ghost (specifically the 3-star ghost) feels more cheap than providing a genuine, realistic challenge. It feels like it's clearly not a human that has set that time... more like the AI, based on a fastest path algorithm set by the developers. 

yeah, that's the feel i got in some of the time trials. Just an artificial difficulty.
Venom Hot lap 2 is the hardest race but i hated: one man, one engine and atomic theory too. 

The last race of the elements DLC was annoying too because of the ridiculous amount of snow reducing visibility to almost nothing. 

Perseverance is the key. Good luck!

Edited by fabiansc83
  • Like 1

I know what you mean. The world record for Venom Hot Lap 2 is 1.16.6, which means you have to be 3.4 seconds off the world record. That's just crazy. I would've thought even beating a time of 1.21 would be a little easier, whilst still really testing your driving skills. This track requires you to have a perfect lap. If you mess up even a tiny bit then you might as well restart. Most of the other time trials I've done so far at least give you a little room for error.

I find the drift challenges real easy. If you know how to do it then you only need a couple of tries and can move on after a couple of minutes.

Edited by Cyvnyde