pre ordering the PS4 camera-- is it worth it?

DrSapirstein

any arguments for or against pre ordering the PS4 camera? that trailer released with the augmented reality stuff looks pretty cool but is it worth it? I fell for the light-gun pack with Resistance 3 and also used it for Killzone 3 but besides that, I've never once used the eye again. anyone ever play eye pet or something similar?

do you think it will enhance the new controller? do you think the facial-recognition stuff is worth the extra $60 bucks? I'll probably have more $ than sense and pre order mine, but I think I'd rather save the dough for another new game than another dust collector.

halp!

Apparently it was supposed to come with the Ps4 but they took it out to put the price down to compete with the Xbox one 

as it goes with the controller 

I myself have pre-ordered one as i video chat a lot and well i have the Ps eye so i need a better webcam and might as well 

get the Ps4's as it's HD Dual Lens etc 

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of ways it could truly enhance a game's fun factor. not coming up with much... then again I'm no engineer, by a long shot.

I've never really had any deep exposure to a Kinect but doen't Xbox put a massive emphasis on owning one? da fuq does it do that's so revolutionary beyond a Wii? I still have a few Wii titles in my back catalogue that I'm saving till literally Ive run out of other PS3 games just because I find the controls to be so arduous now.

I've never been one to condemn 'gimmicky' stuff because I think it can indeed be fun so long as it's not crammed down your throat (ie: ROTATE BOTH CONTROL STICKS FRANTICALLY DURING THIS QTE TO CONTINUE PLAYING GAME). fuck that forever and ever.

anywho, I hope the PS4 camera is used for Oculus Rift compatibility down the road.

I've never really had any deep exposure to a Kinect but doen't Xbox put a massive emphasis on owning one? da fuq does it do that's so revolutionary beyond a Wii? I still have a few Wii titles in my back catalogue that I'm saving till literally Ive run out of other PS3 games just because I find the controls to be so arduous now.

I have a Kinect, trust me when I say this, it has been sitting in it's box for half a year or more now.. there is no good recent releases on it unless you're a fan of Just Dance games.  It is kind of a gimmick, I don't have it plugged in all the time either as it just takes up space (and an extra power socket in my case).  The only really good games there are, are some of it's launch titles (Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, Kinect Sports) and the exercise games.. it doesn't really do anything to benefit other games, I think it had voice commands for Mass Effect and you had the option of playing Child of Eden with it.

Well, I don't know how useful it'll be, but I'm getting mine day one. Mostly because I have the Eye, and while I don't use it a lot, I like having the convinience of owning it. Besides, sometimes I take my MOVE out of the box to enjoy some Dust514 or some Indie game utilizing it (Datura being a prime example).

Various reasons for getting it day one (for me):
- I want to try that play-room-demo (whatever it's called) with the robots etc.

- video chat

- utilities/user-friendly: I'm not sure which of these are confirmed and which of these I hope they'll implement, but here's what I see and hope for in the future of the PS4eye:
     - Kinect-like controls for the UI (swyping left/right, pushing to click etc...)

- split-screen-switching sides based on controller position and other extra controller+camera features. I think Sony talked about this, something about recognizing controller by   color and not by the number anymore? stuff like that?

- AR-functionality like the Book of Spells. While it's a childish game, it's pretty funny. I want to see cool stuff like that, don't have to be games. (I'm looking more at the Nintendo-AR-cards like functionality.

I have a question actually - does/can the camera move up&down like the kinect does? automatically I mean, with a motor?

PS4Eye is using a AUX port, so you won't be able to use it on PC

My computer has an AUX port so that doesnt rule it out.Unless they make it a not-standard form one just for ps4

It probably wont be pc supported by Sony but some crafty people could always make drivers for it later on,just like with the PSeye or DS controllers

Edited by tw34kfr34ky

Well, I don't know how useful it'll be, but I'm getting mine day one. Mostly because I have the Eye, and while I don't use it a lot, I like having the convinience of owning it. Besides, sometimes I take my MOVE out of the box to enjoy some Dust514 or some Indie game utilizing it (Datura being a prime example).

Various reasons for getting it day one (for me):

- I want to try that play-room-demo (whatever it's called) with the robots etc.

- video chat

- utilities/user-friendly: I'm not sure which of these are confirmed and which of these I hope they'll implement, but here's what I see and hope for in the future of the PS4eye:

- Kinect-like controls for the UI (swyping left/right, pushing to click etc...)

- split-screen-switching sides based on controller position and other extra controller+camera features. I think Sony talked about this, something about recognizing controller by   color and not by the number anymore? stuff like that?

- AR-functionality like the Book of Spells. While it's a childish game, it's pretty funny. I want to see cool stuff like that, don't have to be games. (I'm looking more at the Nintendo-AR-cards like functionality.

I have a question actually - does/can the camera move up&down like the kinect does? automatically I mean, with a motor?

I have a Kinect, trust me when I say this, it has been sitting in it's box for half a year or more now.. there is no good recent releases on it unless you're a fan of Just Dance games.  It is kind of a gimmick, I don't have it plugged in all the time either as it just takes up space (and an extra power socket in my case).  The only really good games there are, are some of it's launch titles (Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, Kinect Sports) and the exercise games.. it doesn't really do anything to benefit other games, I think it had voice commands for Mass Effect and you had the option of playing Child of Eden with it.

This and THIS! well said my friends, and have confirmed some of my ideas... but I'm with you on the convenience thing. eventually, at some point I'm sure it'll be rad to have one. and hell, I *try* not to throw my money away, but at this point in time in my life I can afford a few luxuries and I'm very passionate about video games. so why the F not?

that's again friends for your inputs!