Playstation 4 will use 3.5GB of RAM for its' OS

xzero4812

So report just released states that of the 8Gb of unified Ram the PS4 has only 4.5Gb will only be avail to actual games while the rest is allocated for the systems OS. The reports say that 1GB will be given to running games provided that the OS in the background can spare it.That function will most likely only be used by 1st party devs in the beginning. Report also does state that eventually Sony can scale back the OS usage later down the line.

Its a little dissapointing to hear but it doesnt waiver my decision that PS4 is the superior console and for $400 its still on par with most pc/laptops

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

4,5GB of RAM is enough RAM if used right. Not a single PC Games uses more then that at the moment. Most PC Games use about 2-3 GB of RAM the reason they need more then that is that the OS like Windows 7 is already using almost 2GB

ya and considering what devs have been able to accomplish with 512 MB im not worried at all

Uh, it's 5.5GB for game and 2.5GB for OS.

This sounds better, although, it's still a ton better than what we have now.. I don't think most of the launch titles would even use this much though.. maybe later down the line they will.

No idea why so many people on forums are getting upset about this. To begin with 4.5GB is huge when you take account that current gen consoles use 512mb of RAM. secondly, I am pretty sure Sony know what they are doing and how much use everything needs, they are the professionals after all.

I understand this is next gen and people want vast improvements but already we can see this is happening. Remember how incredible the first trailer for Shadow Fall was? And to think this is just year one. Imagine when we get to years 3 and 4 where developers will have mastered the tech using the same as what they have at launch.

Edited by jimmypop01
  • Like 1

Well first of all, that's a massive amount of RAM for OS, especially one that is custom made (we're not talking windows here)

Secondly, this is all the ram on the machine, including graphics - pcs dont have to deal with that.

Ps3 had 512 ram, well great, but this is next gen, otherwise why bother?

This is why people arent chuffed.

4gb is more than enough for any game today the most I seen any game use is gta 4 (6gb) and that's because I modded it to death, besides its incredible what developers have been able to squeeze with 512mb of ram to begin with. 

Edited by DatLoli

I'm not complaining, its more than enough and I'm pretty sure this will let us multi-task to some degree. Imagine streaming your game to vita then using the ps4 to run netflix or something. Or finally listening to Music Unlimited while playing a game? I think that we'll be fine, Sony knows whats up.

• Like 1

By the way , Has this been confirmed by Sony ?

i havent seen any official statement from sony but there is an internal doc. that states the baseline amount of gauranteed memory is 4.5GB,which is the amount used in the Killzone demo. As well as the dev kits have a normal debug mode of 4.5 Gb with a large mode increasing to 5.25 GB

Edited by xzero4812

i havent seen any official statement from sony but there is an eternal doc. that states the baseline amount of gauranteed memory is 4.5GB,which is the amount used in the Killzone demo. As well as the dev kits have a normal debug mode of 4.5 Gb with a large mode increasing to 5.25 GB

Alright thanks :)

Wow, that is a lot of RAM for a console. I am so excited!!! cant start to imagine the crazy amount of HQ textures that will be used for PS4 games!!!

pretty much confirmed.

4.5GB RAM for games, 2.5GB for the OS and 1GB RAM spare for OS adjustments. This 1GB can also be used on games, but this will probably only be used by 1st party and exclusives.

The OS can and will probably slim down in the future, like with the Ps3 os. it went from 120MB original (if I recall correctly) to 50MB now. (-60%).

4.5GB is plenty, trust me. The spare RAM would probably only be used by 1st party and exclusives and by lazy dev's.

• Like 1

Holy kazamm!!

"PlayStation 4 will be able to call upon 5.5 GB of RAM for games, according to internal Sony documents obtained by a purported "well-placed development source."

3.5 GB of the console's 8 GB of RAM will be dedicated to PS4's operating system, enabling users to seamlessy switch between games and apps, while the remaining 4.5 GB will be allocated to games.

A further 1GB of so-called "flexible memory" can potentially be used by developers, described as something that "isn't trivial" says the report, and will likely only be used by first-party developers to begin with.

By comparison, Xbox One utilises 3 GB of RAM for its OS, which according to a 'Microsoft Insider' will be reserved in part for the console's evolution during its potential ten year-life cycle. Both platforms use dual Jaguar CPU cores for their OS, with the PS4 reportedly being the more flexible of the two consoles.

"Sources close to Sony suggest that the PS4 approach is perhaps more flexible – the current allocation in terms of both CPU cores and memory could be reduced once the operating system is complete and then streamlined," Digital Foundry's report reads.

"In short, while there is no guarantee of change in the future, Sony is at least leaving the door open to the opportunity and the R&D team has experience in reducing the OS footprint – just as it did on PlayStation 3."

No doubt developers will get to grips with how best to utilise PS4's 4.5 GB RAM and 1 GB of flexible memory over time. PlayStation 4 launches in November for £349.99/€399.99/$399.99." 

bring it baby!!!

edit: http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-10629-PlayStation-4-Will-be-Able-to-Access-5-5GB-of-its-8GB-RAM-For-Games.html

Edited by Br3akingDawn