Need help writing a book

BrunoBomb

Hello I'm writing a fantasy and science-fiction book about a group of kids that gets magic jewels. But I need help to work on the powers of the jewels. The jewels have the powers of:

1. Invisibility
  2. Elasticity
  3. Fire
  4. Stone
  5. Water
  6. Wind
  7. Fog
  8. Devil
  9. Angel
  10. Time
  11. Thunder
  12. Ice
  13. Magic
  14. Nature
  15. Ninja
  16. Portal
  17. Metal

So I need the help of anyone, give me ideas of what the powers could give, but also you can give me names of movies, tv series and games that use some powers (don't need to be specifically the ones I will work on, then I can get an idea)

I have in mind to watch the movies

1. Incredibles
  2. Fantastic Four

I have in mind to watch the tv series

1. Fullmetal Alchemist
  2. One Piece
  3. Naruto
  4. Digimon

I have in mind to play (or watch) the games

1. inFamous
  2. inFamous 2
  3. Digimon games

I don't want that this thread goes to oblivion, I really want to work on this book but I just need more sources to make the story better because I have more attacks on the most importat jewels (Invisibility, Fire, Devil, Thunder) and I want to explore the other jewels better but need to know some attacks to have ideas so please help me and thank for your colaboration

Watch the series : Heroes

It will give you some really good ideas , also awesome series 

You could also read or watch any superhero movies 

Batman 

Superman 

X-men 

Watchmen 

Etc 

I'm sure you'l come up with something , it's better you come up with it yourself as it will make it more original .

Edited by TheBolloxx
  • Like 1

It would be best not to get bogged down by things like that. You will want to flesh out characters, story, back story, motive etc. first. Details like Powers will come as you figure the other stuff out.

That would be like worrying about what shape Harry Potter's scar was before JK Rowling thought about how he got that scar.

What Bolloxx said, just think more beyond of those abilities & make it seem real, now of course its gonna take time so don't rush. Think of the things around you for example like Stan Lee, he saw a spider in the corner of his working area, fuck he came up with spider-man. Good luck :)

Once you figure the ability/power think of its origins, what would its weakness(es) be, what would make it stronger. Then just have fun with your story :P

Edited by SoftBall-Girl-8

The best advice I can give is -

• Don't post your ideas on a message board
  • Try writing short stories first. Short stories will help you build your fiction and give you a basis. Might also help you establish your readership if those stories are published.
  • Stay away from "self publishing", that stuff is crap.
  • Like 1

Just build a plot first.  That is the most important thing.  Think about any extra stuff afterwards, but mainly think where you want the story to go.

Watch X-Men movies.  Play Marvel Super Heroes (it's in Marvel VS. Capcom Origins), characters have gem powers in that game.. although it's a fighter so it's short, but it'll give you ideas for plot in how these jewels are used etc.

Watch the X-Men animated series as well, Evolution, the 90s one..  And reading some of the comics won't hurt either, X-Men is the best when you're looking for details on separate powers.

Edited by TakahashiDemon