Do I suck, or is this game much harder than anyone gives it credit for?

Maahniac

I also found the early game to be more of a challenge than what I was expecting. I only looked at the trophy guide and not the forums before starting the game so it was a bit of a shock when I was taking a beating on levels like Scarecrow Fields and Ant Caves. It was reassuring to hear that I wasn't the only one and that the game is really smooth sailing from there. I also overlooked the emphasis on upgrading weapons and finding the vials early on. Once I hit that initial roadblock, I ran back to pick up all the vials I could up to the point of Ant Caves and then still struggled to beat that level to get a sword upgrade which made Scarecrow Fields much more manageable.

• 3 months later...

This game is absolutely not a 2/10 in difficultly as the guide suggests. It has 'aged like milk' level design i.e. no checkpoints, enemies do large amounts damage and blocking seems to be ineffective most of the time. Camera doesn't help either in some of the tighter sections. I've played many games and played plenty 4/10 games which were leagues easier than this. Am I missing something glaringly obvious. I wouldn't compare this game to anything like Dark Souls but I do feel it should be classed as a 4/10 rather than 2/10.

Edited by AxillarySloth53

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It’s good that it has no checkpoints. Levels, once replied, are around 5-10 mins tops. You seriously would like to have a checkpoint before each jump? Once you collect vials, you are basically immortal. At no point later on you are actually able to lose more than 2-3 “healths”. Game is also pretty generous with giving you smaller health vials and those health pools.

The difficulty comes with approaching enemies correctly. You are not supposed to smash just one button throughout the game and swing the sword only. You have a lot of different tools to deal with enemies.

Examples:

Scarecrows - just run away from them?

Ants - use the hammer

Demons - magic sword/magic bow

The hardest one for me was the Enchanted Forest where I couldn’t figure out the best way to deal with demons without losing buttload of health. I needed about 3 tries to get to the boss with more than half of the health meter.

Overall - The game was a very pleasant, old-style gameplay experience. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I've been playing this for Halloween and it's been kicking my ass a bit as well. Don't get me wrong, it's not Dark-cup-blood-Crash-souls-head-borne-dicoot hard or anything, but it's more difficult than the trophy guide's difficulty rating and trophy rarity made me believe going in.

The thing is, I'm not sure how much of this is the fault of the actual level and game design, and how much of this is the fault of the ludicrously antiquated controls and mechanics. This still feels like a game from 1998, complete with the avalanche of PS1 jank that comes with that territory. This is a game with shiny, modern 2019 graphics, wrapped up in gameplay that feels 20 years older. It's a weird combo.