Outlast 2 Platinum Playthrough

mariosF94

I don't know why, but the strategy of hiding in the grass in the abattoir area never worked for me.? I could kiss the ground, but Martha'd come and kill me. So my strategy was completely different: I walked forward and make her appeared, then I went back from where I slipped and I crouched in the grass. She should come slowly towards me, and I slowly walked on the left (there should be three paths with grass which let you walk around her), and, strangely, she never saw me, even in plain sight.

But I also found another strategy on Youtube: once she appears, you can run back to the barn where you need the hook, wait there, and then you can exit. She should vanished, and should scream once you reach the fence.

But I'm glad you managed to escape from the cart chase. :)

• Like 1

Made it into chapter 3, which from memory isn't too bad (Or is there something I'm forgetting)?

Chapter 2 was bad though, the Nick part after you come out the closet after the school part was tough and I think I got lucky to be honest, I can see myself dying a lot on insane there. Then I died a few times when he shoots you as you run along a path from afar, then I died once more after he shot me after I got the rope from the hanging man (thankfully I beat that part in just 2 tries). The roof school part was ok besides being dark, I did not die at all there, the demon on the stairs was the same as story mode. Run back up then go over the balcony and drop down then run down stairs and outside. The microphone part with Jessica is annoying but thankfully the microphone uses no battery so other than taking awhile you can't die or lose here.

Finished my nightmare run tonight. Oh boy I'm not looking forward to insane, or messiah. :(

Started tonight mid way through chapter 3. Chapter 3 there isn't much that can kill you, though the swimming pool killed me somehow. I think because it was pitch black I either sprinted into the wall and died, or Loutermilch killed me, but once I used some battery it's easy (though doing it with no battery would be very tough I imagine). I also died to a heretic just before this part, but I now realise you're essentially meant to just run past them until you get grabbed. I don't think it is one hit kill, and I think you start the pool scene on full health any way, not sure.

Chapter 4 was mostly ok. I actually beat the library first try, but then died at least once hiding in the toilet cubicles, I think he grabbed me as I wasn't fast enough. Not sure if closing doors as you run towards the bathroom helps or if he can just morph through walls and doors (he reminds me of SCP-106, a dark figure with the corrosion effect). As for the library, I think I just got lucky, but like I said I did it first try with some night vision as it is completely dark. But I think it is pre determined so it should be at least some what learnable. As for the rest, it is scary, and often dark. I died in the final part after you call the elevator, but I think so long as you're quick it is ok. Though I did die to fall damage (I was weakened as I got hit but survived). So that is something to keep in mind. But after a while the enemies kinda give up chasing you, which is useful if not strange.

Chapter 5. Wow. What a mess. Did here a lot, used lots of batteries, got lost a lot. Need to look at a walkthrough seriously. And or a map of the mines. The only somewhat easy bit was the fuse boxes part, as there is only one enemy, who is kinda slow and has a torch, but even so it is very dark, and difficult.

Chapter 6? The Marta chase I forgot where to go, and it isn't even there on story mode, she just appears through the wall she breaks, then dies in the cut scene. Saying that, I sprinted all the way through and did it first try. It seems like on chapter 6 you gave unlimited sprint, which is very handy. Nothing else can kill you, so after Marta you've essentially won.

Also managed to get the "good" ending with Jessica at the end. In my story mode run, I was too slow and she looked like a corpse (I didn't know what to do but knew there were 2 "endings", but I didn't know what I had to do to save her).

Oh and this is weird. In the mines I hid in a barrel twice by accident, but I still got the Prophet trophy. The only assumption I can make is that I must gave died on both these runs, so the game reverted to the checkpoint save where I hadn't used the barrel. It is very odd, but I'm not complaining, I got 3 gold trophies :gold: in a row. :)

Just died on my first proper Messiah run. Technically my second of tonight, the first I died to the first guy in the corn field after it says to turn on your microphone. No idea how or why but he came into that little house and killed me, which has never happened before.

Second time I died after the school sequence where you're dragged into the well, then phase into reality and are hiding from a guy who pushes you down the stairs. In the second part of the chase, he is still chasing you, but you open a door and another person comes after you, so you have to go back up and drop down. Well, I grabbed a bandage and opened the door and he came in and killed me. Not sure what I did wrong, maybe I was just too slow, or maybe I'm meant to hide behind the door or something? :(

Also, I had to use some night vision to escape the heretic cave, since I spent like 5 minutes and kept going in circles. It is completely black. I was playing on full brightness with the lights off, and it surprisingly helps a lot, especially for messiah. But if it is pitch black, there's nothing you can do, the game is pitch black.

Just annoying that I basically wasted like 40 minutes or so (I wasn't timing so idk),  and I'd used basically no battery. :(

• Like 1

It's all about familiarity. The first Outlast was pretty much the same, just shorter. If you go through it enough you'll remember where you need to go and when. Then it's just a case of being lucky enough for the game to not hit you with bullshit that doesn't happen normally.

One bit of advice I'd give in terms of preparation - I did two full Nightmare runs before trying Insane, and twice after promising Insane runs failed I carried on from that point in Nightmare using chapter select. There's no point in just restarting over and over if you're only getting halfway through the game. You'll just get really good at the start, then get frustrated and bored when you keep having to repeat it. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Just died on my first proper Messiah run. Technically my second of tonight, the first I died to the first guy in the corn field after it says to turn on your microphone. No idea how or why but he came into that little house and killed me, which has never happened before.

Second time I died after the school sequence where you're dragged into the well, then phase into reality and are hiding from a guy who pushes you down the stairs. In the second part of the chase, he is still chasing you, but you open a door and another person comes after you, so you have to go back up and drop down. Well, I grabbed a bandage and opened the door and he came in and killed me. Not sure what I did wrong, maybe I was just too slow, or maybe I'm meant to hide behind the door or something? :(

Also, I had to use some night vision to escape the heretic cave, since I spent like 5 minutes and kept going in circles. It is completely black. I was playing on full brightness with the lights off, and it surprisingly helps a lot, especially for messiah. But if it is pitch black, there's nothing you can do, the game is pitch black.

Just annoying that I basically wasted like 40 minutes or so (I wasn't timing so idk),  and I'd used basically no battery. :(

Actually, I also managed to die in the microphone tutorial...:facepalm: I think that probably I made some noise or I stayed too long near the door, sice the guy smashed the window and killed me... You should crouch and stay near the door, and wait a little bit (or you can ignore everyhting, like I did in my next attempts, since I was sick of these guys. Simply open the door and run! ?).

About the Temple Gate chase, I didn't understand which is the point where you died. Probably you passed the first part, crawling under the house, and then you blocked the passage with the beans. After this a guy smashes the door and you should hide under the bed next to the door. Let him pass, then exit from the bed and keep crouching until you reach the stair for the basement. Now walk down and hide under the bed in front of the door and wait. Another guy should open the door and leave the room. Run into this room, close the door and push the wardrobe, which should trigger the next chase. Remember that this part is completely different between the 1.00 and the 1.02 version: in 1.00 a guy should come upstarirs, so you need to make him chase you, run around and drop down, the  run into the wardrobe room. In 1.02 this guy doesn't come upstairs, so you need to go down and wait. :)

Heretic temple: in the first part of the Heretic temple (where you are sliding down) you should see the dust flying in the air, follow it in order to reach the inner temple. And when you need to leave it, walk backwards (well, this was my strategy and it always worked), since there should be a 90° right turn (left turn if you're walking backwards). But you can use a couple of night vision flashes and leave quickly this area.

But @stpatty is right, probably you need more practice. You should make one or two entire runs on nightmares and pratice the hardest parts with chapter select (for example, the Nick&Laird sequences, library maze, last demon chase in chapter 4, mines chases, also the last Martha chase at the end of the game, where you mustn't run at the beginning of the chase! I mean, these were the parts that I played so many times). I made two perfect nightmare runs and I completely memorized the game, but I also managed to make some a lot of stupid mistakes during my Messiah runs. And even when I picked up the game after months, I made again a nightmare run and some practice in the different parts. Trust me, you need to know exactly everything of this game.

• Like 1

I had to use the night vision to exit the heretic cave. Not entering. Entering I could just about see the lights on the ceiling and get through, but exiting even going backwards I kept going into circles and getting lost, ending up back in the cave and not leaving.

The part I died is after you knock down the down with barricades, hide under the bed and run down the stairs and open the door, there was a guy who killed me. After this you lock the door behind you I believe, then push the wardrobe and go through a tunnel, and so on. Hard to describe so I hope that makes sense.

This is the walkthrough I used. Unfortunately he keeps saying how he will make a more detailed walkthrough, but as far as I know he has yet to do so, and given this video was made over a year ago, it seems unlikely he ever will. But I died at the point 37 minutes in on this video.

Edited by TheBonobo4

22 hours ago, Phoenix_argentea said:

Actually, I also managed to die in the microphone tutorial...:facepalm: I think that probably I made some noise or I stayed too long near the door, sice the guy smashed the window and killed me... You should crouch and stay near the door, and wait a little bit (or you can ignore everyhting, like I did in my next attempts, since I was sick of these guys. Simply open the door and run! 1f3c3.png).

This happened to me before I left the house. I went in, the prompt came up to start the microphone, I did, then the chase music started and a guy came in. (I'm playing it right now and as I was looking for the video below, this happened again! How is this fair???????????????????????????)

The PS4Trophies walkthrough is the best option imo. It's condensed with only the dangerous bits, so watching it shouldn't take so long:

Sections like leaving the Heretic cave don't need the battery. You know what direction you have to go in and that there's no danger, just push forward and rummage around and you'll get there. Maybe a quick blast to go in the right direction. Turning the TV brightness up helps in most of these situations too. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

The part I died is after you knock down the down with barricades, hide under the bed and run down the stairs and open the door, there was a guy who killed me. After this you lock the door behind you I believe, then push the wardrobe and go through a tunnel, and so on. Hard to describe so I hope that makes sense.

No worries. :) Actually it was your "drop down" that could be a little bit misleading, because I thought it could be the next chase (after you cross the pit full of bodies and you reach the next house. Then, when you open the door, a guy screams "He's in the house!", so you need to run upstairs, slide and drop down, but here there are no bandages!), but in the end I was right.

Your strategy is almost right, but at the end you mustn't open the door! After the first guy smashes the door, let him pass and walk down in the basement. In front of the door there is a bed, hide under it and wait. The second guy will open the door (sometimes he leaves it opened, sometimes he closes it) and he'll go upstairs. Grab the bandage on the sink (if available), go into the next room, lock the door and push the wardrobe. Nothing more!

And the PS4Trophies guide is excellent! I changed it in a couple of points, like this one (in the guide he hides behind a pillar, then he moves around while the guy is walking. Minute 9:20 of the video posted by @stpatty. Unfortunately once I was spotted, but I managed to escape. But when I saw the bed I tried a different strategy and I found it was better), and the Martha chase at the end of chapter 1.

But remember you can use the battery in the first half of the game, since there's some sort of glitch/checkpoint when you regain the camera stolen by Laird (it will always be 2/3 or 3/4, even if you used it more!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phoenix_argentea said:

But remember you can use the battery in the first half of the game, since there's some sort of glitch/checkpoint when you regain the camera stolen by Laird (it will always be 2/3 or 3/4, even if you used it more!).

Is this definitely always a thing? It's a bit annoying that you can reach that point without using it at all but then lose 1/3 of it.

• Like 2

I know that you lose some, but it is nice to know that no matter what you always have about 70 percent after getting it back. I just assumed it was what you had minus 30 percent or so.

So I tried again earlier. I got to the same point first try, no real problems. But then you know that wardrobe you push out of the way? I swear it is cursed because I've died there in the past. I know you're meant to push from the left as you look at it, not the right, but it seems Blake doesn't push far enough which ever side I push from, because I died whilst pushing. I even locked the door behind me. Though I do have to give praise, the guy only seems to open the door once you hide under the bed, and he seems stupid enough that he doesn't notice you. So that plan worked fine, I was even quite slow to hide under the bed as I didn't see it at first and it still worked as described. Though it is very strange how that bandage is sometimes there and sometimes not.

After that I tried from the same point on nightmare, apart from some darkness and chase scenes it is easy after that up to the hay cart part with Marta. Where I died a few times, even with my "strategy" I got from walkthroughs. I believe the strategy works I just have trouble pulling it off. I hate that part, but after a few deaths there I quit the game.

I reckon on insane assuming no unexpected screw ups I'm ok up to the hay cart. I did use a few flashes of battery to get through dark parts but I don't think I used even a bar of battery. Not sure as it is hard to tell though. But now I know this about the nick and laird checkpoint always being the same, I'll be less worried in chapter 1.

Edited by TheBonobo4
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

So I tried again earlier. I got to the same point first try, no real problems. But then you know that wardrobe you push out of the way? I swear it is cursed because I've died there in the past. I know you're meant to push from the left as you look at it, not the right, but it seems Blake doesn't push far enough which ever side I push from, because I died whilst pushing. I even locked the door behind me. Though I do have to give praise, the guy only seems to open the door once you hide under the bed, and he seems stupid enough that he doesn't notice you. So that plan worked fine, I was even quite slow to hide under the bed as I didn't see it at first and it still worked as described. Though it is very strange how that bandage is sometimes there and sometimes not.

Actually I don't know what's wrong with this wardrobe. As soon as you push it (to the right), the chase will be triggered, so enemies smash down the door, but you have enough time for pushing and escaping. Probably you leave it too early and you can't pass through, so you need to push it again, but the guys kill you. Stupid question, but are you sure you're pushing it in the right direction?

And about the bandages I've a theory: if you have three bandages, you won't find anymore around. For example, before the Martha cart chase, you need to jump down from the roof. If you take damage (and use a bandage), you can find one of it in the Martha cart area (in a left room, on the opposite direction of the cart), but if you don't use any bandage, you won't find it in this place. For the same reason, if you already have three bandages, you won't find any in Ethan basement house (or other places, like the library maze). The only exception that I found is in the area of the mines elevator: in this place you'll always find two bandages.

21 hours ago, stpatty said:

Is this definitely always a thing? It's a bit annoying that you can reach that point without using it at all but then lose 1/3 of it.

Yes, I "wasted" an insane run for testing it. I reached the crucifixion with 50 % of the battery, and when I regained the camera, it went back to 70%! Unfortunately I died at the end of the chapter (yes, I managed to miss the "jump of faith" in the rope area :facepalm:).

The spawn locations of bandages are dependent on how many you have, yes. That's also really cheap and annoying about the battery.

For that section with pushing the thing out the way of the door, there's a certain noise it makes as you push it and a certain rhythm to Blake's movement as you push. They don't chase you once you're through so don't worry about trying to push it a small amount to squeeze through.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, I swear I've had many times when it said that I can't carry any more bandages. But I've never had the case where I couldn't carry more batteries, so does anyone know the limit?

Yeah I can only assume I didn't push it enough. I guess for future insane runs the thing to remember is to lock the door and push as far as I can, since you get enough time to push and once in the tunnel you're safe. It is odd though how the wardrobe magically moves back to block the tunnel. 

21 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

I'm not sure, I swear I've had many times when it said that I can't carry any more bandages. But I've never had the case where I couldn't carry more batteries, so does anyone know the limit?

Nice question! I'm not sure, but I'd say 8 (or maybe 10), simply looking at Blake's pocket dimension, but I never reached that number in my nightmare runs. I managed to pick up 6 batteries in the first two chapters, but, after the crucifixion, Blakes loses every battery and bandages he had collected. And in the next chapters I picked 3 or 4 batteries.

But the first Outlast had a battery limit, which was different for every difficult: 10 on normal, 5 on hard, and 2 on nightmare.

21 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Yeah I can only assume I didn't push it enough. I guess for future insane runs the thing to remember is to lock the door and push as far as I can, since you get enough time to push and once in the tunnel you're safe. It is odd though how the wardrobe magically moves back to block the tunnel. 

Actually, I thought that the crazy guys moved back the wardrobe in order to block you and cut your way moving to the opposite side. I mean, they should know every part of their village, right? And they're waiting in the next house.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, X_Wizi_X said:

I suggest to not collect any batteries during the insane run to avoid recharging the camera by mistake (maybe holding down triangle)

Yeah I deliberately don't. There is no need any way as you have to use one battery, and on my story mode run through I replaced the battery often when picking it up, but this never happened on nightmare, I don't know why.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stpatty said:

I made it. 21 attempts. The furthest I'd ever got in 1-20 was near enough exactly halfway, during the chase with Nick and Laird. Attempt 21 I went, I got past that bit, I made it. I got hit by someone who's not usually there right after I grabbed the noose but made it to the exit. I messed the library up and used up too much battery, but you don't need that much battery for the mines. I finished with one bar. It can be done, but I honestly think it's about 90% luck once you know where you have to go throughout the game. Play it on Nightmare as many times as you have to until you have every part of it memorised. Don't worry about dying or using your battery there, just make sure you know where everything is and where you need to be. When you play on insane, don't let it beat you. It's possible.

GZ! Yeah luck is your best friend when going for Messiah.

• Like 1

Could someone please give me some pointers on chapter 2. I have been stuck on the same 2 parts of the chapter, the segment with nick after the school segment as soon as you leave the closet. I usually just wait around, but he ends up just standing at the edge where i'm suppose to go. I also need help on the rope retrieval section as when I run through i'm chased by a villager and killed on the way down the hill after dislodging the tree. The only issue is when should I run through the rope segment as I am usually killed because of someone following me.

Thank You

Edited by Burstawesome

41 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

Could someone please give me some pointers on chapter 2. I have been stuck on the same 2 parts of the chapter, the segment with nick after the school segment as soon as you leave the closet. I usually just wait around, but he ends up just standing at the edge where i'm suppose to go. I also need help on the rope retrieval section as when I run through i'm chased by a villager and killed on the way down the hill after dislodging the tree. The only issue is when should I run through the rope segment as I am usually killed because of someone following me.

Thank You

Honestly,tips from this guy helped me immensely.Check out the video guide by ifreemz too.The parts you mentioned were exactly where I kept failing.I did manage to succeed after practicing those parts a few times using this strategy.Hope it helps you too!

Edited by iamrb2212
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

Thank You

When you leave the closet, open the door and turn on the left, pick up the bandage and get out through the window. Then, you should make a large circle (always on the left) until you reach the house with the two doors. Enter inside and lock both doors. Now open the farthest window to the right, crouch under it and wait. After some time (even after a couple of minutes) Nick & Laird will smash the door. Smash the :cross: button in order to escape from the house and run on your right. Be sure to avoid the traps.

Since you stay down, Nick & Laird won't see you, and when they enter into the house (and you get out of it), they won't try to fire an arrow to you! Also, beware the phrase "Rest, my Lord!", because they can fire an arrow (and probably kill you).

And about the final part of the chapter, probably someone sees you when you go up to the tree. You should run on the left behind every building, and then crouch in the open part between the first and the second house (be sure the running guy doesn't see you). If no now sees you and you reach the tree, you should be fine, so you can go down and pick up the rope. No, follow the same path behind the buildings (but now they are on the right!): run, and never stop! Sometimes, there could be a guy just before the stairs, this is random, and sometimes you can even run past him without gettin a hit!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, iamrb2212 said:

Honestly,tips from this guy helped me immensely.Check out the video guide by ifreemz too.The parts you mentioned were exactly where I kept failing.I did manage to succeed after practicing those parts a few times using this strategy.Hope it helps you too!

I have been using this video for my 1-2 week trials of the game and it has not helped me much on chapter 2. Chapter 1 is pretty much a breeze now, I have mastered it but on chapter 2 I don't follow this guy. On the rope segment I follow this guide and continuously die. I do want to use him for chapter 3-6 but he has not done me much good on chapter 2. An example would be the running segment on the logs after the closet I run through the entire thing, unlike in the guide where he takes his time hiding behind rocks.

37 minutes ago, Phoenix_argentea said:

When you leave the closet, open the door and turn on the left, pick up the bandage and get out through the window. Then, you should make a large circle (always on the left) until you reach the house with the two doors. Enter inside and lock both doors. Now open the farthest window to the right, crouch under it and wait. After some time (even after a couple of minutes) Nick & Laird will smash the door. Smash the :cross: button in order to escape from the house and run on your right. Be sure to avoid the traps.

Since you stay down, Nick & Laird won't see you, and when they enter into the house (and you get out of it), they won't try to fire an arrow to you! Also, beware the phrase "Rest, my Lord!", because they can fire an arrow (and probably kill you).

And about the final part of the chapter, probably someone sees you when you go up to the tree. You should run on the left behind every building, and then crouch in the open part between the first and the second house (be sure the running guy doesn't see you). If no now sees you and you reach the tree, you should be fine, so you can go down and pick up the rope. No, follow the same path behind the buildings (but now they are on the right!): run, and never stop! Sometimes, there could be a guy just before the stairs, this is random, and sometimes you can even run past him without gettin a hit!

Would practicing on Nightmare difficulty be a good strategy?, because these are the only 2 segments that screw me up. I'm not sure if the encounters stay the same as on insane. I will also try your house strat on my next run, and rope segment as well. I fear on the rope part i'm just too slow. If i could use Nightmare that would be a blessing.

If you question any of my strats I follow the guide that was posted above.

Edit:Just attempted the closet strat, it worked, gonna practice it now, Thank You

Edited by Burstawesome
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Burstawesome said:

The strat to get to the tree and dislodge the rope worked, but on the way down there was someone standing in between the houses and saw me and hit me when I picked up the rope. Is there anyway to avoid him? I did hear him running to different houses on the map so , was I too slow?

If there's someone when you get to down to pick up the rope, probably someone (I think the guy running around and knocking the doors). Usually, when you pick up the rope there should be no one, Nick&Laird fire the arrow and you run away.

Also the PS4Trophies is good. Watching different videos can help you, since, sometimes, there are different strategies and you can find the best one for you.

The final part in chapter 2 starts from minute 33.

• Like 1