What is your favorite videogame from each genre?

Copanele

As the topic title says, what is your pick as nr 1 videogame in each genre that you have played? 

Genre means : Action, Adventure, RTS, RPG, Shooter, Platformer, Indie...honestly anything goes, including platform(PC, PS4, XBOX, microwave). You can also add a little description as why the game picked is your favorite, if you wish of course.

I will also post a wikipedia link for further help, if you wish to be really specific in a "genre" :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_genres

To start, my list :

1. FPS (first person shooter) : F.E.A.R. (PC) Honestly I haven't found to this day a shooter better made than FEAR. The tough A.I., good story, compelling combat and those horror elements made me love this game and hope for a remaster. Too bad the sequels dropped the ball in terms of quality.

Honorable mention : Call of Juarez

2. Action : Devil May Cry 3. This is my to-go game when it comes to action game. 10/10 gameplay, tough as nails difficulty(until you learn the game at least), a good story and badass boss fights. 

Honorable mention : God of War 2

3. RPG : Gothic 2 (PC). Although I played a fair share of RPGs, honestly none of them gave me the same feeling as Gothic 2. Better in any way than G1, you have lots of ways to approach the story, compelling world building and some of the best ways to approach seemingly impossible boss fights ( see the Black Troll for who knows the game)

Very Honorable Mention and virtually the same pick : Witcher 3.

3a. Action-RPG : Dark Souls. The first one is the best for me. It edges out Bloodborne just because of the interconnected world and the more interesting story.

Honorable Mention : Bloodborne

3b. RPG/Hack and Slash : Diablo 2. This one is a classic, if there is a hall of fame of best games ever made, Diablo 2 would surely have a spot there.

Honorable Mention : Titan Quest.

4. Adventure/Point and click games : Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars. I am abit of an old school guy when it comes to adventure games. To this day, no other adventure game got me so immersed as Broken Sword. Loved the story, the jokes, the logic puzzles (except the infamous GOAT puzzle).

Honorable Mention : Syberia

5. RTS(real time strategy) : Warlords Battlecry 3 . A bit obscure as a series, WB3 is your typical strategy game where you build the base and try to demolish the opposition. What stands out here is the fact that you have a ton of fantasy races to pick from (humans, lizards, 3 types of elves and so on), each with their own culture and backstory.

Honorable Mention : Rise of Nations

6. TBS(Turn based strategy) : Disciples 2 (PC). The reason why I pick this over the honorable mention Heroes 3 is because the story is heavily dark fantasy oriented, which is more of my taste. Plus the artwork for each unit is pretty dope

Honorable Mention : Heroes of Might and Magic 3

7. Fighting game : Guilty Gear X2 Midnight Carnival : The first game that ever got me in this unforgiving area of gaming, the "punch your enemy to death". Old school anime game with unforgiving mechanics and sick artwork.

Honorable Mention : Ultra Street Fighter 4.

8. Indie : Jotun. Honestly I am not sure what qualifies as "Indie" anymore, all I can pick for now is Jotun just because it's not your average game xD Plus it's been made by a small studio.

Honorable Mention : Salt and Sanctuary.

9. Hybrid : Sacrifice (Action/RTS). A very weird game, you play as a sorceror who has the option to pick from 5 gods. Each god gives you a certain spell and a set of monster for serving him and start a mission. After the mission you can pick the same god or switch for another one, which gives you a new different spell and another set of monsters. For example, you can start as a fireball spammer with lava monsters and then pair it with a blizzard spell with air monsters. Everything is controlled 3rd person...it's a VERY weird and compelling game. You can get up to 12 missions...imagine how many combination of spells and monsters you can make!

Honorable mention : Spellforce series (RPG/RTS)

10. Racing game : Need for Speed Most Wanted : The original one, not the...whatever this remaster/remake was. Best soundtrack, pinkslip races, tha police, everything you could wish for.

Honorable Mention : Re-Volt

11. Sports : FIFA 2007. Yes I played those as well. FIFA2007 was still the funniest one of the bunch simply because there were less rules and more " how to kick your opponent in the head while scoring a goal from the middle of the stadium with Cristiano Ronaldo". From a time when EA wasn't screwing around as much.

Honorable Mention : Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

These are the entries for me, from what I can remember at least. What are your picks?

• Like 3

1- RPG : kingdom hearts 

My first rpg game and my favorite series of all times. 

2- Adventure : Danganronpa 2 goodby despair

I enjoyed playing every minute of this game, and it is the best game in the series.

3- Shooter : Overwatch 

the only shooter (online) game I’ll ever play.

These are the only genres I play ( mostly one and two ) 

• Like 1

i went with the same genres OP posted in his, for ease (with a few substitutions - I don’t play enout turnbased strategy to form an opinion, and I don’t think ’indie’ is a genre - plus a few additionals)

1. FPS (first person shooter) : Timesplitters 2(PS2)

Honorable mention : Syndicate(PS3)

2. Action : Hitman 2

Honorable mention : The Last of Us

3. RPG : Chronotrigger (SNES)

Honorable mention : Persona 4 (PSVita)

3a. Action-RPG : Fallout 3

Honorable Mention : Mass Effect 2

3b. RPG/Hack and Slash : The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Honorable Mention : 

4. Adventure/Point and click games : Day of the Tentacle

Honorable Mention : Grim Fandango

5. RTS(real time strategy) : Cities Skyline

Honorable Mention : Civilisation 5

6. Immersive Sim: Prey (2017)

Honorable Mention : Dishonoured 2

7. Fighting game : Street Fighter 2

Honorable Mention : Street Fighter 4

10. Racing game : Burnout Paradise

Honorable Mention : Micro Machines (PS1)

11. Sports : Rocket League

Honorable mention : Speedball 2 (Megadrive)

12. Walking Sim: Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture

Honorable mention : Dear Esther

14. Metriodvania: Guacamele

Honorable mention : Dust: An Elysian Tale

15. Soulslike: Dark Souls 2

Honorable mention : Dark Souls 3

16. Puzzle: Lumines

Honorable mention : Chime Sharp

17. Roguelike: Dead Cells

Honorable mention : Rogue Legacy

• Like 1

I'll use your designations, deleting ones which have no relevance to me (RTS, e.g.):

1. FPS (first person shooter) : Not a favorite of mine, but I would probably say Bioshock. 

2. Action : Pretty broad as a genre, but I am a fan of Musou games. While they've become something of a joke in the last two generations, they were strong in the PS2 era. The best probably was Samurai Warriors 2.

3. RPG : Even broader for me, because I've played so many. As far as a "traditional" turn-based RPG, it's probably Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan). While there was nothing traditional about it back in 1994, it really broadened the horizon for the genre. 

Although not traditional in the least, Tri-Ace's Valkyrie Profile shares that spot. The battle system remains my favorite in any RPG, ever. Tri-Ace has never gotten it right again. 

For an action-RPG, it's probably Kingdom Hearts 2, though Mass Effect 2 elbows its way to the table as well. Dark Souls was cited by you, but that one is a weird one for me to classify. It's definitely among my top games, but I don't know where to put it.

4. Adventure/Point and click games : I draw a line between these two, so for adventure, I would take Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Again, maybe Dark Souls goes here as well? For point-and-click, that's never been a particular favorite of mine. I would probably go back to the original Shadowgate. While perhaps the NES port was not the best, it certainly was my favorite.

5. TBS(Turn based strategy) : Probably Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7. Civilization gets a mention as well, but I love me some sanguo

6. Fighting game : I'm horrible at fighting games, and I don't really like them, but I've played a number of them. Probably my favorite was Battle Fantasia, though the original Mortal Kombat gets a nod here as well. 

7. Indie : Like you, I don't know what really qualifies here. But I love Axiom Verge, so I'll put it down.

8. Hybrid : I'm going to go with Dragon Quest Heroes 2 here. Blending musou, a bit of RPG progression, and tower defense, I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and I generally do NOT like tower defense. It took what was good from Dragon Quest Heroes, and gave you more of it. A close second is probably Act Raiser on the SNES, which put together city building with side-scrolling action. A great game if you've never played it (just don't get Act Raiser 2 - it completely sucks).

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

1. FPS (First Person Shooter) - Bioshock Infinite

2. Action-Adventure - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

3. RPG - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

4. Adventure/Point and click games - Batman: The Telltale Series

5. RTS (Real Time Strategy) - Command & Conquer: Red Alert

6. Fighting game - Tekken 5

7. Indie - Lone Survivor

8. Racing game - Tie between Burnout 2 & Need For Speed: Carbon

9. Sports - Tony Hawk's Underground 2

10. Simulation - The Sims 3

11. Stealth - Dishonoured

• Like 2

1. RPG: Divinity: Original Sin 2

2. TPS: Max Payne 3

3. FPS: BF Bad Company 2

4. Action Adventure: God of War 2

5. RTS: Command & Conquer Generals (haven't played too many though)

6. Fighting: Marvel vs Capcom 2

7. Racing: Need for Speed Underground 2

8. Sports: MVP Baseball 2005

9. Stealth: Hitman Blood Money

Translation: This generation sucks. ?

Edited by rotoninja
  • Like 2

FPS (first person shooter) : Fallout: New Vegas

Overwatch

Action: Devil May Cry 3

Okami

RPG:  Final Fantasy V

Chrono Trigger

Adventure/Point and click games:  Tales From The Borderlands

Walking Dead

TBS(Turn based strategy): Disgaea 2

Phantom Brave

Fighting game: Darkstalkers

Street Fighter

Indie: Cave Story

Undertale

Sports:  Hot Shots Golf

Tony Hawk 2

Stealth:  Syphon Filter 2

Hitman 

Rougelike:  Pokemon Mystery Dungeon:  Explorers of Time

Izuna

MMORPG:  Final Fantasy XIV

Soulslike:  Bloodborne

Dark Souls 3

• Like 4

RPG (turn based): Trails of Cold Steel III

ARPG: Ys VIII

FPS: OK, this was probably my toughest choice, one I really had to think about for a few seconds... If I have to narrow it down to first place, then it'd be Hard Reset Redux.

Fighting: The King of Fighters XIV

Racing: Ridge Racer 7. Namco should've just ported the PS3 one to Vita instead of making that sorry excuse of a Vita original version.

Soulslike: Lords of the Fallen (PC).

Beat-em-up: The Ninja Warriors Once Again

FP Hack-n-Slash: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (PC). Another good one from Dishonored/Prey developer Arkane Studios, made with Valve's Source engine. Sometimes the boot is mightier than the sword, especially when you're on a high ledge and a kick or two is all you need to send that enemy plummeting.

Sports: NBA Hangtime (arcade/PS1/N64)  Not a realistic basketball game, but I don't care much for realistic sports games in general such as those from EA and 2K. Ones like this are what the current generation of sports games is missing. I wish WB Games would buy an NBA license for NetherRealm to do a 2020 version.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:31 AM, Copanele said:

1. FPS (first person shooter) : F.E.A.R. (PC) Honestly I haven't found to this day a shooter better made than FEAR. The tough A.I., good story, compelling combat and those horror elements made me love this game and hope for a remaster. Too bad the sequels dropped the ball in terms of quality.

Honorable mention : Call of Juarez

F.E.A.R.'s expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate) are okay, but can't even come close to the original. Now F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin is pretty good and has a challenging final boss battle. I see a huge drop in quality with F.E.A.R. 3- it's average, which would be acceptable for another franchise, but not this one.

• Like 3

1. RPG (Turn based): Final Fantasy X-2- Fun story line and it was my favourite FF game that got me sucked into the series.The girliness and battle system were my favourite parts. 

Honorable Mention: FFX- superb story and characters

2. RPG (Action): Tales of Vesperia on PS3. I mostly play action RPGs so this was a tough choice for me, but as a huge Tales fan Vesperia was my favourite as I liked Yuri, the battle system is amazing and the amount of side quests and things to do in this game is endless. It was my first platinum as well. 

Honorable mention: Tales of Graces F- my first Tales game and such a cute heartwarming story

3. Platform: Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped, my first ever and favourite PS1 game that rests close to my heart

Honorable mention: Sonic Heroes 

4. Fighter: Dragonball Z

Honorable Mention: 

5. Racing: Crash Team Racing- I was a huge CB fan on the PS1, so this is an obvious choice and I spent many hours of my childhood on it. The remake was amazing too

6. SRPG: FF Tactics A2- I like Ivalice and the job system in the tactics games. This one also had a decent story with FF12 characters popping up

Honorable mention: Disgaea 4- very difficult and challenging but fun

7. Otome: Amnesia V Edition- I loved this game and really liked the characters, especially Ikki. The CGs were pretty and it was my first and favourite otome game

Honorable mention: Collar x Malice Unlimited: the fan fisk of collar x malice, lots of sugary romantic CGs and much more fun to play than the main game

8. Action: Kingdom Hearts BBS: I love KH and BBS is my favourite, Aqua is my favourite KH characters. 

Honorable Mention: Nier Automata

9. Stealth: Metal Gear Solid- the only stealth game I've played

10. Drama Adventure/VN: Life is Strange 2, I liked this more than the first game

Honorable mention: Psycho Pass, my first VN and I loved the anime too

11. Simulation: Story of Seasons- I love the HM games and the first SOS game after the name was changed was my favourite. The marriage bit is my favourite part of HM games. 

12: Rhythm game: Dance Dance Revolution games, I was addicted to these growing up

Honorable Mention: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 

• Like 2