DICE List changes from Beta to full game, Battlefield 3

ille1234

DICE has recently posted on their blog a number of changes they will make in the full game of Battlefield 3 thanks to all of the beta testers. The list are as following:

Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.

Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.

Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.

Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.

Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.

A subtle low health screen effect has been added.

Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.

Tweaked the Rank progression.

Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.

Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.

Framerate stability fixes.

The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.

Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.

Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.

Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.

Non working options in squad menu fixed: “Private” flag and “Switch Teams

Sadly though, this isn't even near everything and judging from the comment section on their blog, the ps3 and xbox versions seem WAAY more buggy than the pc version.

They said that this isn't everything that will be fixed, they're always working on improving the game. Let's just hope that means the console version...

Source: blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/09/30/battlefield-3-open-beta-update-1.aspx##

yea, i dont see anything about falling through the map in the first stage of the map (only happens when not on the rocks or any sure ground), nothing on the party system....i do enjoy the beta a bit, but those are the main issues, i dont think i ran into one of those issues in playing this game so far....

yea, i dont see anything about falling through the map in the first stage of the map (only happens when not on the rocks or any sure ground), nothing on the party system....i do enjoy the beta a bit, but those are the main issues, i dont think i ran into one of those issues in playing this game so far....

Agreed. Luckily this isn't the full list of fixes, just the fixes they're currently working on i believe.

Agreed. Luckily this isn't the full list of fixes, just the fixes they're currently working on i believe.

oh thank god, that is great to hear....but i think they need to fix these other issues first, they are the greater issue to deal with...and also, they really should extend the beta and add these patches to it, so that they can really make sure the real game isnt having all these bugs...and so i can play it more :D

oh thank god, that is great to hear....but i think they need to fix these other issues first, they are the greater issue to deal with...and also, they really should extend the beta and add these patches to it, so that they can really make sure the real game isnt having all these bugs...and so i can play it more :D

For sure, but imo there are greater issues still. Not being able to sprint for example and not behing able to aim down sights...

I think that they should push back the release a month or two just in order to make the game perfect on every console but greedy EA won't let them since they want it out before MW3 -.-

Most of the time it does work but from time to time it doesn't and that's completely unacceptable...

All you have to do is switch weapons and switch back to the weapon you want to use and the iron sights will work again. Not realy a big deal.

Also, don't know how many know this but this Beta is actually a few months old. According the the people at DICE, both Sony and Microsoft has pretty strict processes in order for content to be released, so the Beta was submitted months ago and the version they're currently on is much more advanced and bug free than the one we get to play. I expect most of the bugs we're seeing in the Beta to be gone on launch day.

Parker

• Like 1

All you have to do is switch weapons and switch back to the weapon you want to use and the iron sights will work again. Not realy a big deal.

Also, don't know how many know this but this Beta is actually a few months old. According the the people at DICE, both Sony and Microsoft has pretty strict processes in order for content to be released, so the Beta was submitted months ago and the version they're currently on is much more advanced and bug free than the one we get to play. I expect most of the bugs we're seeing in the Beta to be gone on launch day.

Parker

I know but it's still annoying :P

Was it really several months ago though? From what i've heard it was early october.

I hope that your not getting me wrong now, i absolutely adore the game in every way possible, i'm just pissed at EA for not giving DICE the time they need in order to make the game flawless. Because even though the game is amazing, it sure as hell could've been even better.

Also, i have no doubt in my mind that DICE are working their asses off trying to perfect the game rigt now :)

Parker

I've heard that a lot before with other games, and I've learned to not get my hopes up. Why can't they provide all those advancements and bug fixes via updates to the beta... rather than forcing people to buy the game and take the risk?

I've heard that a lot before with other games, and I've learned to not get my hopes up. Why can't they provide all those advancements and bug fixes via updates to the beta... rather than forcing people to buy the game and take the risk?

Because it's technically beta and not a free trial. I'd rather a developer acknowledge issues and have plenty of time to fix things prior to release than rush and push piecemeal updates to beta. Beta has done it's job if issues are reported, acknowledged, and ultimately addressed. Problem is people want a release ready version of the game, which, in my opinion, is unrealistic to expect.

Because it's technically beta and not a free trial. I'd rather a developer acknowledge issues and have plenty of time to fix things prior to release than rush and push piecemeal updates to beta. Beta has done it's job if issues are reported, acknowledged, and ultimately addressed. Problem is people want a release ready version of the game, which, in my opinion, is unrealistic to expect.

There's absolutely no reason to think that patches to a beta are unreasonable.

Unreasonable, no. Unrealistic, 3 weeks from release, yes.

How convenient, considering the beta came out 4 weeks from release. Honestly, this is typically the time a demo comes out for games, not a "open beta" with glaring issues that may or may not be fixed come release. You'll notice Uncharted 3 had it's open beta months ago with an adequate amount of time between the end of the beta and release to sit down and (hopefully) hammer out the issues.

Why is it okay for DICE to pull these shenanigans? Why is it logical to release a several month old version of a game for public consumption when the game is weeks from release for anything other than promotion? Wouldn't they want to get the latest version of the game out ASAP (whether it's initially or through updates or what have you) for people to test rather than have thousands of people submitting thousands of bug reports for bugs that have already been fixed?! C'mon...

I dunno if any of you guys have seen that bug

Near the first B just over the hill if ur attacking the enemies and yourself seem to have half you body above ground and rest below .

Anyone seen it just behind the bushes on the hill on the way to the first m-com station B

How convenient, considering the beta came out 4 weeks from release. Honestly, this is typically the time a demo comes out for games, not a "open beta" with glaring issues that may or may not be fixed come release. You'll notice Uncharted 3 had it's open beta months ago with an adequate amount of time between the end of the beta and release to sit down and (hopefully) hammer out the issues.

Why is it okay for DICE to pull these shenanigans? Why is it logical to release a several month old version of a game for public consumption when the game is weeks from release for anything other than promotion? Wouldn't they want to get the latest version of the game out ASAP (whether it's initially or through updates or what have you) for people to test rather than have thousands of people submitting thousands of bug reports for bugs that have already been fixed?! C'mon...

I don't think that it's DICE that's doing this, i think it's EA. Everyone knows that EA and every other company in the world wants to take down the Call of Duty franchise and this is their chance to do so. I think that's why the beta is out so short before realease, because if DICE where in charge, the game wouldn't be out in a while... This is only my thoughts though, nothing factual.

I don't think that it's DICE that's doing this, i think it's EA. Everyone knows that EA and every other company in the world wants to take down the Call of Duty franchise and this is their chance to do so. I think that's why the beta is out so short before realease, because if DICE where in charge, the game wouldn't be out in a while... This is only my thoughts though, nothing factual.

I just don't like that people are trying to spin this like they're doing us a favor by releasing a glitchy beta, then banking on the players coming up with excuses for them to be irresponsible and not fix the beta before release. At least that's the feeling I get from this thread at times.

They know they're finally providing competition to Call of Duty, but at the same time they know everyone that doesn't like Call of Duty will flock to BF3 regardless of how (un)professionally they handle it's release... and it sickens me. ;) This is their chance to be the "good guys", and they're spoiling it.

• Like 1

I just don't like that people are trying to spin this like they're doing us a favor by releasing a glitchy beta, then banking on the players coming up with excuses for them to be irresponsible and not fix the beta before release. At least that's the feeling I get from this thread at times.

I could not agree more. The developers will continue down this path as long as there are so many willing to make excuses and accept mediocrity.

They know they're finally providing competition to Call of Duty, but at the same time they know everyone that doesn't like Call of Duty will flock to BF3 regardless of how (un)professionally they handle it's release... and it sickens me. ;) This is their chance to be the "good guys", and they're spoiling it.

That's exactly what i've been trying to say but bear in mind that they're just trying to please everyone and that's quite impossible with EA up their arse...

Taken from IGN...

According to Troedsson, the beta is "actually quite early and not representative of the final game."

"The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is based on software that is more than one month old," he wrote. "We need to test the new back end dedicated server structure we've built. Not only have we built a new game engine, but an entirely new back end system so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of dedicated servers on all platforms. Just like normal procedure when releasing a game, the Open Beta has had long lead times due to testing, certification, and setting up."

Maybe I'm lacking the required cynicism, but I can accept the fact that testing back end functionality and stability was more important from a developer standpoint than providing an open beta experience to players on par with a release build. On top of that, lead times really impacted the ability to provide the latter.

Seems like the open beta either left people with a sour taste in their mouth or they believe it's the second coming and a CoD crusher. I fall somewhere in the middle - I pre-ordered through Origin, but will likely cancel that pre-order until release and then decide on whether or not to purchase depending on release feedback.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I don't get the negativity on BF3 here and elsewhere. I haven't played BF or BFBC before, so that may be some of it, but I don't see the downside of giving DICE the benefit of the doubt and reserving final judgement for actual release. If promises aren't delivered, issues aren't addressed, and the overall experience isn't as advertised by then, trust me, I'll be the first to pile on.

• Like 1

i kind of agree....i am a big fan of shooters, but with the drama surrounding this and Call of Duty, im swaying more to TPS games these days. I gave the beta a chance, to see how the engine worked and such.....and while the bugs and glitches were abhorrent and plentiful...i liked it.

i could care less about the glitches, im sure that DICE wont release a game where you cant even go prone in some areas without falling and all these other glitches..they see them, and im sure they'll be fixed. what I REALLY felt, was it was to test other things...load times, how the lag is with a big match at points and such, and even to tweak some of the Frostbite 2.0 features....remember, this Engine is brand new, this is the very first game to feature it until NFS: The Run is released.

saying that..i liked it, because amidst all these glitches, I got to see exactly what this new engine does. now, im one who at this point, has a hard time dealing with those really bad PS1 graphics...but even though these aren't totally amazing, i like them, The motions are more realistic, with the stealth melee and prone animations being very nice additions, the sounds are better....i especially like the lighting and gunplay effects. If an enemy uses a flashlight, you can see it, but if you are too close it can blind you. Red dot sights will show up in the dark, and I especially like the scope glare for snipers...it may kill the 100% ghost factor, but then again, it gives it more of a challenge: if you are in a good spot, there is no reason they should see you...or you should miss. Also, it encourages those lazy snipers that love one spot to move around and find new spots rather than just use that one spot over and over.

My guess, is that most of the negativity is from the hype....but that isn't new. for example, MAG and Brink. MAG offered these amazingly large-scale battles, and so much....but in the end very few bought it, and it had a rough time. Brink, offered this new movement system, customization that was amazing...the original AI was horrible, the customization isnt that in-depth, and the story lacks. Very few games will actually live up to the hype about them, I for one get this after some of this summer's releases, so i try not to hold opinions until i play a beta or such...so i guess that is why i can say this is a bit of a plus. I think people just need to realize that this game isn't going to be 100% what they want, no game is.