Is it Feasible to Combine Knife Only and Invisible Enemy runs?

ferginator88

I'm just percolating on how best to cut down on my number of playthroughs. I've only been through the game once, so not sure how difficult the knife only and invisible enemy runs will be. I'm considering doing them together, as I feel confident I can avoid most enemies as the guide suggests, and knife the required enemies. 

Is this feasible? Or would I be better off doing an invisible run after unlocking a weapon with infinite ammo from the Speedruns? 

Any input would be appreciated.

I did both together, so it's definitely feasible, as if I can do it, anyone can. But honestly, with the amount of extra time I personally spent having to reload and try again when I messed up too much, it would likely have been quicker to just do the two runs separately.

Most of my deaths (or messups where I used too many healing items and decided it would be better to just reload) personally were from random enemies, especially hunters, rather than the required fights, as it's harder than you think to avoid them in corridors unless you're very, very familiar with the game (which I wasn't). The good thing is, you can play on Very Easy, which means enemies do less damage, and there's more healing items around to recover when you do get attacked. But they still caused me a lot of problems all the way through the game. If you're much more familiar with the game to know exactly how to dodge them all even without seeing them, though, then it won't be as bad for you as it was for me.

In terms of the unavoidable encounters, the main two that caused me problems were:

1. The cerberus. You can see where it is most of the time with the saliva, but actually hitting it with a knife for me caused a lot of problems. Not sure it would have been much less difficult to just do a regular Knife run rather than including Invisible enemies though? But the good thing is, once you hit it once, it's easy to get in a decent pattern to keep up the attacks. And there's the reusable plant pot nearby for when you get hit. Though, for me, if I got hit once, that was pretty much it and I just kept getting hit until I died. But I'm not very good.
  2. The Crimsonhead Prototype. I could not for the life of me do this without using up a bunch of healing items. Maybe I just suck, but I found it really hard to work out where he was most of the time, and even harder to knife him without getting hit myself right after.

The rest aren't too bad. Plant 42 I managed to do by just swinging wildly from the upstairs balcony, Yawn you can abuse the bookcase, and Tyrant has a reflection on the floor the whole time so you can always see where he is, making it a fairly easy encounter.

Also, although it's not listed as an unavoidable encounter, I would personally take care of everything in the lab between the place where you have to fill the capsule and the room you have to take it too. On Very Easy, it's really just the chimera in the room you take it to, and the zombie in the square area. The one in the same room as where you fill the capsule can be easily avoided. It caused me less headache to just take them all down than trying to avoid them whilst they're invisible (which I tried for a while, before giving up and taking them down).

• Like 3

@Kristycism thank you so much for that elaborate post. I think I will see how comfortable I am after doing some more play throughs, since I'm not confident that I know the enemy patters/locations/attacks well enough to dodge or avoid them.

I think I might try and do the speedrun trophies first to get access to the infinite ammo guns and then do a invisible enemy run while blasting away!

1 hour ago, Kristycism said:

I did both together, so it's definitely feasible, as if I can do it, anyone can. But honestly, with the amount of extra time I personally spent having to reload and try again when I messed up too much, it would likely have been quicker to just do the two runs separately.

That is how I felt about Axiom Verge.

The guide says to combine "low items, no deaths, speed run" all into one playthrough.

Well the game takes like 2 or 3 hours to beat so I just did my speedrun/low items in one playthrough and then my no death in another (allowing myself to pick up all healing items and weapons)

Sometimes convenience vs speed makes more sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ferginator88 said:

.... :(

Trust me it’s not as hard as it seems. Invisible enemy mode can be played on very easy and even though pure survival is set to hard it shouldn’t give you too much trouble if you can dodge and weave. 

But it to answer your initial post. If you’re new to the series I would recommend against it. Unless you’re absolutely confident in not only enemy placement but enemy animations and attack patterns.

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 1

Ive literally just recorded a Invisible Enemies Knife only run today for beginners using Jill

Its all optimised, we pick up ALL herbs, kill only key bosses and rather than dodge, I run into enemies, but I keep enemy passbys to a minimum, as I say, beginner friendly ;)

All done in about 2hours 30 as well. 

If your interested, it will be a few days till I get chance to edit and upload, but I can pet you know here once done if you want

If you want a teaser of my guides for it are like, here is my first I uploaded a few days ago. Ive also got Real Survival recorded in under 3 hours so we kill 2 birds with 1 stone with there as well and of course, beginners route ;)

Im adding them all WITH and WITHOUT commentary btw to suit everyone

• Like 4

It's possible and was pretty interesting to do.  I think it's helpful to have done the speedrun first, not because of any unlocks, but just because you'll be sure to have a good idea where everything is and what you're supposed to do.  But, I'm sure it's not necessary.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Ive literally just recorded a Invisible Enemies Knife only run today for beginners using Jill

Its all optimised, we pick up ALL herbs, kill only key bosses and rather than dodge, I run into enemies, but I keep enemy passbys to a minimum, as I say, beginner friendly ;)

If your interested, it will be a few days till I get chance to edit and upload, but I can pet you know here once done if you want

If you want a teaser of my guides for it are like, here is my first I uploaded a few days ago. Ive also got Real Survival recorded in under 3 hours so we kill 2 birds with 1 stone with there as well and of course, beginners route ;)

Yes please send along your walkthrough when its complete! That's awesome. 

27 minutes ago, ferginator88 said:

Yes please send along your walkthrough when its complete! That's awesome. 

Will do bud, its a full plat like my usual guides, just separated into separate walkthroughs so can be used individually as well

Like I say, I recorded the invisible knife earlier today so just gotta get edit and uploaded, gimme a few days.

Invisible knife is quite easy to be honest when you know what you are doing, which the guide will help with xD

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Will do bud, its a full plat like my usual guides, just separated into separate walkthroughs so can be used individually as well

Like I say, I recorded the invisible knife earlier today so just gotta get edit and uploaded, gimme a few days.

Invisible knife is quite easy to be honest when you know what you are doing, which the guide will help with xD

How would you fit in Every Nook and Crany? I did it in special playthrough by itself with the infinite rocket and Jill.

31 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

How would you fit in Every Nook and Crany? I did it in special playthrough by itself with the infinite rocket and Jill.

In video I posted above, first playthrough on Normal.

I couldnt decide on what would be best for beginners the start, in the end I figured normal nook and cranny. Allows players to take their time, see the whole map, see all endings and unlock Real Survive at same time. Figured that was best to start with, hope it was ;)

Thing is with infinite RL, is every nook and cranny needs you to get everything, and so lends itself well to a normal or real survive run where you actually gotta get most to actually get through anyway, that was my logic anyhow

We do Chris and no saves with RL. Cant believe there isnt a no saves here!

Yeah that makes sense gives new players a sense of room placements. You should mention to do it n normal as well because of the more limited amount of items on normal compared to other difficulties. Sucks for someone to play in very easy and then finding out that there is a herb in one corner of the the room all the way back to the mansion. 

I finished and Platinumed the game but I’ll check out your guides when I’m free. Nice to see dedicated play throughs with trophies in mind. Most “guides” look to be speedruns from professionals. 

6 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

Yeah that makes sense gives new players a sense of room placements. You should mention to do it n normal as well because of the more limited amount of items on normal compared to other difficulties. Sucks for someone to play in very easy and then finding out that there is a herb in one corner of the the room all the way back to the mansion. 

I finished and Platinumed the game but I’ll check out your guides when I’m free. Nice to see dedicated play throughs with trophies in mind. Most “guides” look to be speedruns from professionals. 

Yea, thats what my guides are, speedrunners optimise for experienced players, but guess I like to optimise for beginners

Thats what I get annoyed about, you go online for a guide, start following then halfway through you find the player pulls off some mad skills which you just cant do lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Your guide with commentary is way better. Funny jokes (Barry is a good guy for sure lol), useful tips and info make your guide really interesting to watch. I played a lot RE1 back in days, but almost forgot everything, so your work helps a lot. Btw why are using Jill in only knife run? I saw you have already video with Chris knife only invisible enemies run. Was going to use it)

6 hours ago, Tyrantraxus said:

Your guide with commentary is way better. Funny jokes (Barry is a good guy for sure lol), useful tips and info make your guide really interesting to watch. I played a lot RE1 back in days, but almost forgot everything, so your work helps a lot. Btw why are using Jill in only knife run? I saw you have already video with Chris knife only invisible enemies run. Was going to use it)

Thanks bud ;)

My first ever guide (that old RE1 guide I did) isnt really aimed at beginners.

Im redoing it at the request of some and RE3 hype ;) and am now making it simpler for everyone.

Chris knife only invisible enemies is not that difficult, just REALLY REALLY ANNOYING because of plant 42 invisible with a knife. Honestly, its really bad, if you look at that vid of mine as Chris doing it and skip to that part, you will see! 

Jill can skip plant 42 thank god xD

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

Invisible enemies knife only here, maybe I will add it in its own thread as I have real survival done to, basically a full platinum run

Its pretty simple to do both at once, its more a case of knowing where all items and enemies are though, which the video walks you through xD

I have a no commentary version up as well if that is preferred!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Invisible enemies knife only here, maybe I will add it in its own thread as I have real survival done to, basically a full platinum run

Its pretty simple to do both at once, its more a case of knowing where all items and enemies are though, which the video walks you through xD

I have a no commentary version up as well if that is preferred!

Great, exactly what I need! So we need two run with Chris now for unlocking costumes? I believe one no save run for sure. And what insta death there are in game: 1) shark boss 2)two rocks in the cave 3)Lisa fight 4)anything else?

And HUGE thanks again for video ?. Another great guide from you!

1 hour ago, Tyrantraxus said:

Great, exactly what I need! So we need two run with Chris now for unlocking costumes? I believe one no save run for sure. And what insta death there are in game: 1) shark boss 2)two rocks in the cave 3)Lisa fight 4)anything else?

And HUGE thanks again for video 1f600.png. Another great guide from you!

I believe real survival and invisible survival modes actually unlock both costumes for the character even if you didn’t complete the game with them before. 

As for Insta death. The hunters have one where they screech and lung forward at you killing you even at full health. It’s a pretty rare move and a long windup but as long as you keep moving you’ll be safe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrantraxus said:

And HUGE thanks again for video 1f600.png. Another great guide from you!

You need 1 very easy run with Chris saving everyone and saving at the end. Then once you have the saving everyone trophy, reload that save before you rescued Jill, then complete the game quickly saving noone by leaving Jill in her cell and letting Wesker die on helipad.

Then you just need to do very easy no saves with whomever. Use infinite RL for both of these runs to make them cake.

I know its still 5 playthroughs, it can be done in 3, but keeping it simple you need about 5.

Yea, those are the only instakills, on very easy, if your health is full, normal mobs wont do their instant kills!

2 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

I believe real survival and invisible survival modes actually unlock both costumes for the character even if you didn’t complete the game with them before. 

As for Insta death. The hunters have one where they screech and lung forward at you killing you even at full health. It’s a pretty rare move and a long windup but as long as you keep moving you’ll be safe. 

Agree, invisible enemies will unlock ALL costumes.

On very easy, wont instant kill you on very easy if your health full. I know because I spent an hour trying to get them to do it lol, gotta be very easy with full health though, didnt test any others

• Like 1