The Pokémon Franchise Sold More than 172,000,000 Units Since Pokémon Red and Blue

Goro

During the “Pokémon Game Show” event just held at the Tokyo Big Sight to introduce Pokémon X and Y, The Pokémon Company released an interesting piece of data. As of March the 31st the critter training and collecting franchise has sold over 172,000,000 units worldwide since its debut in 1996 with Pokémon Red and Blue (Red and Green in Japan).

That’s most definitely a staggering number, and it’s destined to grow soon, as preorders for the upcoming Pokémon X and Y are already looking stellar, while the new Anime series based on the original game will probably bolster sales as well.

That's more sales than the PS3 & Xbox 360 combined.

Edited by Kazuma

That is pretty impressive for a mostly handheld gaming series. I'm still waiting for a game the incorporates every region into the gameplay but I doubt Nintendo will ever do that. I guarantee WiiU sales would skyrocket if Nintendo announced a true Pokemon game on console with the option of going anywhere in the whole Pokemon series so far. 

Parker

Well considering there are about 100 million different variations of pokemon games that number is not really impressive :P

Seriously as I have expressed in the past Pokemon hasn't really changed since 95 yet people will still buy 1 or 2 copies every release (which is almost every year). So looking at that number it shows people don't want innovation or change so Nintendo will keep releasing the same thing over and over because obviously it works.  I for one have decided to speak with my wallet and haven't bought a game since Diamond (which I bought used)

• 3 months later...