Update 2.0 Watcher is here!

Juxta-Dowgle

Just a heads up for everyone that the 4th playable character, the Watcher, is now available on all consoles.

I have played a bit with her on the PC version and she is great, very different to other characters in the sense that a lot of her cards have 'retain' which means you don't discard them at the end of the turn, and a lot of cards get more powerful the longer you keep them in your hand so there is a nice risk vs reward mechanic of do you play your cards now for minimal impact or wait until later, when the enemy might be stronger, but your cards will be as well.

It also adds a lot of new relics, potions, and changes the way some of these and cards work. I.e the relic that gave you 3 relics and 3 curses, now still gives you three relics, but only gives you one, non-removeable curse, making it a lot better.

Enjoy everyone.

8 hours ago, realm722 said:

I am so relieved the DLC trophy is reasonable and just asking you to check out the new character basically. 

Really agree here. The Watcher felt very powerful at Ascension 0. Some really quick kill build options too. Didn’t take her to higher ascensions but she seems really fun. 

Edited by DanTheManGum

15 hours ago, DanTheManGum said:

Really agree here. The Watcher felt very powerful at Ascension 0. Some really quick kill build options too. Didn’t take her to higher ascensions but she seems really fun. 

Aye, I was able to kill the awakened one's second form in one turn yesterday but entering divinity and having a load of high damage cards stacked. 300 damage in an instant :) 

12 hours ago, Juxta-Dowgle said:

Aye, I was able to kill the awakened one's second form in one turn yesterday but entering divinity and having a load of high damage cards stacked. 300 damage in an instant :) 

I did a 7 card deck with the “enter calm, if already in calm draw 3”, 2 like waters, vigilance, and 3 upgraded pressure points. I also had the fossil relic that grants buffer. Things died VERY QUICKLY. I don’t think I’d ever run pressure points without that relic though. 

On 3/25/2020 at 5:20 PM, DanTheManGum said:

I did a 7 card deck with the “enter calm, if already in calm draw 3”, 2 like waters, vigilance, and 3 upgraded pressure points. I also had the fossil relic that grants buffer. Things died VERY QUICKLY. I don’t think I’d ever run pressure points without that relic though. 

I played watcher twice and got the fossil both runs.  It definitely helped me beat the heart on the second try, such a good relic. Watcher feels pretty broken the early damage she has makes act 1 super easy letting you get ahead for the rest of the run by not having to take any shitty cards.

Just got done and beat the heart as her - holy crap she's prob my 2nd favorite after Ironclad. The way she stacks when you get Divinity is a frigging blast.

Now all I have to do is get the stupid freaking "Neon" achievement with the worst character Defect - and then I have 2 fun trophies left with Ironclad. Plat by the end of March pls!

• Like 1

Oh my goodness... I LOVE the Watcher.

I had obtained every single trophy except for "Who Needs Relics?". Banged away at it for 7ish hours with Ironclad/Silent. Furthest I got was Act 3 hallway fights with Ironclad on a searing blow tiny deck that I just lost too much health and couldn't cycle quickly enough, and a lengthy enlightenment deck that I had to face the freaking big head elite and died to. I tried ONCE one final time tonight with Watcher, got lucky and it switched out my boss relic with the choker relic, and had a run to the end and had a clutch divinity potion that let me beat Donu/Deca before they killed me. 

I am now the fastest to 100% the game by over 1 month and 2 weeks. Of course - I started going for the platinum before the DLC update so it was pure luck but I'm insanely chuffed about this. First #1 fastest 100% ever for me!

• Like 3

On 29/03/2020 at 8:29 AM, realm722 said:

I had obtained every single trophy except for "Who Needs Relics?". Banged away at it for 7ish hours with Ironclad/Silent. Furthest I got was Act 3 hallway fights with Ironclad on a searing blow tiny deck that I just lost too much health and couldn't cycle quickly enough, and a lengthy enlightenment deck that I had to face the freaking big head elite and died to. I tried ONCE one final time tonight with Watcher, got lucky and it switched out my boss relic with the choker relic, and had a run to the end and had a clutch divinity potion that let me beat Donu/Deca before they killed me. 

I am now the fastest to 100% the game by over 1 month and 2 weeks. Of course - I started going for the platinum before the DLC update so it was pure luck but I'm insanely chuffed about this. First #1 fastest 100% ever for me!

Congrats! I havent beat the heart with any character yet (i play a lot of different games), any advice on doing this? I end up taking too much damage from the tenticles then struggling aginst the heart.

42 minutes ago, Juxta-Dowgle said:

Congrats! I havent beat the heart with any character yet (i play a lot of different games), any advice on doing this? I end up taking too much damage from the tenticles then struggling aginst the heart.

It's very important you get block up early in the fight because the heart will damage you for 1-2 points every card you play. For Ironclad this can be done with a barricade, Silent stacking poison damage is a great way to kill the heart quickly if you have multiple catalyst's, and for Defect getting lots of ice protection from your orbs can be very helpful. If you want to learn to get better at the game, look at "Jorbs OVEREXPLAINED" on YouTube and he will do an incredible job of explaining things, he's like the Michael Jordan of Slay the Spire. 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 5:45 PM, realm722 said:

It's very important you get block up early in the fight because the heart will damage you for 1-2 points every card you play. For Ironclad this can be done with a barricade, Silent stacking poison damage is a great way to kill the heart quickly if you have multiple catalyst's, and for Defect getting lots of ice protection from your orbs can be very helpful. If you want to learn to get better at the game, look at "Jorbs OVEREXPLAINED" on YouTube and he will do an incredible job of explaining things, he's like the Michael Jordan of Slay the Spire. 

Funnily enough after I posted my previous comment i managed to beat the heart with the silent on my next run. As you said, I have a lot of poison stacking and a couple of catalysts that helped and an upgraded wraith form to negate damage for a few turns. Trying to get back to work on the others now. Thats for the tips, I already subscribe to Jorbs but yet to watch his overexplained vids, they are so damn long.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 0:29 AM, realm722 said:

Nice! Grats!  I was happy being one of the first 5 to plat the game this is one of my all time favorite games I still play it quite regularly I wish they would add some more DLC and trophies.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 29.09.2020 at 10:53 AM, PanBeskosty said:

I played a lot on the Switch on this, but I didn't play Watcher. Yesterday I played 3 games and 3 deaths. Today I played one and did both DLC trophies at once ... I think im going watcher for Ascenssion 20: D

This game is quite popular on Twitch and it's actually super chill to watch, if you look for Merl61, he plays the Watcher as his main character and even if you prefer to figure things out on your own, you may want to watch a playthrough or two just to get an idea as to what kind of synergies are most optimal. As for myself, I am trying to get the true ending with the Ironclad but last time I played, I got to the Heart and was obliterated as I diddn't have enough block. I imagine that this game is perfectly suited for a portable console, too bad there's no Vita port.

11 hours ago, det_gittes said:

This game is quite popular on Twitch and it's actually super chill to watch, if you look for Merl61, he plays the Watcher as his main character and even if you prefer to figure things out on your own, you may want to watch a playthrough or two just to get an idea as to what kind of synergies are most optimal. As for myself, I am trying to get the true ending with the Ironclad but last time I played, I got to the Heart and was obliterated as I diddn't have enough block. I imagine that this game is perfectly suited for a portable console, too bad there's no Vita port.

It's true. My first go from start to ASC15 was on the Switch. It was perfect! :D

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, whittle181 said:

Just to check... is The Watcher a paid DLC pack or was it added as a freebie in a patch? Thanks in advance.

She was made available as part of a title update, so free yes. IIRC, if you're just starting the game though, she isn't available right from the get go. In my case, I had to beat the game with the other characters first before you can play as her.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RotatingCube said:

She was made available as part of a title update, so free yes. IIRC, if you're just starting the game though, she isn't available right from the get go. In my case, I had to beat the game with the other characters first before you can play as her.

You only have to beat the game with one character, provided that you’ve unlocked the others.

• Like 1