No longer 0.1% rarity?

arcanehornet_

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Another thing to add is that a majority of us people here on PSNP are well in our 20s and late 30s. Chances are many of us have had decades of gaming experience to the point where we’ve refined our skills. 

The internet has largely ruined much of the mystique and immersion of a number of games. As ExistentialSolid said, games that get dissected over time tend to get easier due to knowledge and people on YouTube posting content that shows every shortcut, every exploit, every strategy. 

He made a point about Super Meat Boy, I can make that same argument on the Soul games. If you asked people back in 2009 who tried out Demon’s Souls if it was an easy platinum, they would likely scoff. Now it’s to the point where you got so much info and guides available the Souls games no longer pose that overly difficult challenge they were once labeled. 

I played games like Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye 007 on the N64 way back in the day with literally no guide usage. As a kid, those games were a bit hard for me. Having to play with a controller that didn’t age well made things worse. But they were a real adventure. 

Back then guides weren’t nearly as helpful. Even Brady had flaws in their guides which you had to pay money for. With so much info readily available now it’s a different ballgame. 

I agree with you. Availability of content on the internet doesnt carry the same weight as playing without content. First achievers always have harder time because of lack of these videos and guides. On one side guides help you complete some things like for example collectables which can be very annoying ( especially if it is something like pigeons from gta IV ) but on the other hand ruin games by making some platinums slightly easier but nevertheless someone who really wants to get platinum in some ultra hard game will get it, by just repeating over and over. Everyone can beat super meat boy if they have patience and will to practice, but a lot of people are impatient and expect to pass it in a day or two. Im thinking one day of starting Necrodancer, that game would require insane amount of practice, problem is im short with time for now and would not be able to play it constantly. That trophy elitism phrase defines the patience and extreme will not the skill, completion time could be something that defines skill in some genres but not always.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crowizard said:

I agree with you. Availability of content on the internet doesnt carry the same weight as playing without content. First achievers always have harder time because of lack of these videos and guides. On one side guides help you complete some things like for example collectables which can be very annoying ( especially if it is something like pigeons from gta IV ) but on the other hand ruin games by making some platinums slightly easier but nevertheless someone who really wants to get platinum in some ultra hard game will get it, by just repeating over and over. Everyone can beat super meat boy if they have patience and will to practice, but a lot of people are impatient and expect to pass it in a day or two. Im thinking one day of starting Necrodancer, that game would require insane amount of practice, problem is im short with time for now and would not be able to play it constantly. That trophy elitism phrase defines the patience and extreme will not the skill, completion time could be something that defines skill in some genres but not always.

GTA IV is an interesting one because it was one of the first games with trophy support. Like Red Dead after it, there is a lot in both single player and multiplayer. A lot of games from 2008 - 2012 had rather ludicrous multiplayer requirements, like kill 10,000 people in Far Cry 2 and gain all the awards in Battlefield: Bad Company 1. Good games for their time, but not ones that aged very well. I'd argue they're more difficult now because they're old games that not many people play anymore so you basically have to find a boosting session which takes time to assemble. I'm doing this right now with Red Dead Redemption 1, and it's a bit annoying.

In contrast, I think Dead Space 2 is easier now because of the amount of help and guides available on the internet. I of course am talking about the infamous Hard Core Mode, you can save three times only on your playthrough. But those first achievers definitely struggled a lot more in earning that trophy.

I will agree that a lot of people can finish Super Meat Boy, but the time requirement and practice necessary throws a lot of them off. A fair number of people who finished Meat Boy quickly had prior experience to the game on Steam, it released back in 2010 so they already had years of experience. I had to learn entirely from scratch as I never played Super Meat Boy on the PC, it took me a long time to finish.

For Crypt of the Necrodancer, I have more fingers than the number of achievers for that game. @Floriiss estimated that it's around 900 - 1000+ hours, possibly more, and there's a lot of random luck and RNG involved so it could take weeks and months for a really good run. Huge respect to Floriiss, he is a guy I tip my hat to who doesn't come off as elitist or arrogant, as someone who has that many difficult games completed might.

I had more time when I was younger, but as someone in my 30s I now have supervision duties, work, bills and other adult responsibilities I have to bide to.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

GTA IV is an interesting one because it was one of the first games with trophy support. Like Red Dead after it, there is a lot in both single player and multiplayer. A lot of games from 2008 - 2012 had rather ludicrous multiplayer requirements, like kill 10,000 people in Far Cry 2 and gain all the awards in Battlefield: Bad Company 1. Good games for their time, but not ones that aged very well. I'd argue they're more difficult now because they're old games that not many people play anymore so you basically have to find a boosting session which takes time to assemble. I'm doing this right now with Red Dead Redemption 1, and it's a bit annoying.

In contrast, I think Dead Space 2 is easier now because of the amount of help and guides available on the internet. I of course am talking about the infamous Hard Core Mode, you can save three times only on your playthrough. But those first achievers definitely struggled a lot more in earning that trophy.

I will agree that a lot of people can finish Super Meat Boy, but the time requirement and practice necessary throws a lot of them off. A fair number of people who finished Meat Boy quickly had prior experience to the game on Steam, it released back in 2010 so they already had years of experience. I had to learn entirely from scratch as I never played Super Meat Boy on the PC, it took me a long time to finish.

For Crypt of the Necrodancer, I have more fingers than the number of achievers for that game. @Floriiss estimated that it's around 900 - 1000+ hours, possibly more, and there's a lot of random luck and RNG involved so it could take weeks and months for a really good run. Huge respect to Floriiss, he is a guy I tip my hat to who doesn't come off as elitist or arrogant, as someone who has that many difficult games completed might.

I had more time when I was younger, but as someone in my 30s I now have supervision duties, work, bills and other adult responsibilities I have to bide to.

Yes, there were so many multiplayer grindy games at that time, I think 10 000 kills was from Resistance 2, on the other hand Far Cry 2 had some silly multiplayer requirements that needed a couple hundred hours, thats why i never started it, prefer more difficuly over grindy.

Of course same goes for Max Payne 3, needed 7 attempts i think in total but knew about some freezing glitches and how to avoid them so i didnt struggle with that side of the game, on the other hand  in Wolfenstein 2 which is harder than Max i used 1 glitch that skips 5-10 min in the game, didnt use others because i was afraid i would stuck somewhere and it is over. Who knows maybe if I didnt use that 1 glitch i would die in that section, so yes it lowers the difficulty a bit but still one hell of a challenge.

SMB requires patience and repeating levels over and over, I found SMB very interesting, havent played it on PC but platinum took me only 2 weeks and thats only because i played platformers since childhood so in the start I had some advantage, while on the other hand Injustice took me long because I suck at fighting games.

For Necrodancer i played it on PC about year ago but just finished game once dont know if i have 10 hours total on it, but it would sure require 1000 hours if not more because requirements are insane. I saw Floriiss profile, he made a guide on this site about that game and he is one great player who wants to help people as much as he can, and you can see that in how detailed he wrote guide for that game like he is encouraging people in some way to do it. Big respect for him.

Had also more time before, now studying in another city so gaming comes only when Im in hometown, hope for getting a job after college and we will see how it will be going.