Is anyone working on a trophy guide for this?

Merco

On 4/21/2020 at 5:29 PM, Merco said:

...Because if not, I am 270d.png! I've just finished my first run of Outward and figure I might as well guide others up the cliff-steep learning curve (and get those pesky missable trophies), so I'm working on a guide.

Just looking to see if anyone else has a guide in the works, to prevent any overlap (plus I'll likely be a few months in completing Outward/my guide).

Reposting this on the other Outward forum to cover the bases...

A guide would be really appreciated ?

• Like 1

While I understand trophy guides take a lot of time and effort, I was wondering if you have any general pointers for the game. Does the game feature a lot of missable trophies, certain settings I should be aware of, or anything else before tackling this?

With a friend I am looking towards this game for a cool co-op experience. If I can clear the trophy list, that would be a nice bonus.

1 hour ago, tostigroover said:

While I understand trophy guides take a lot of time and effort, I was wondering if you have any general pointers for the game. Does the game feature a lot of missable trophies, certain settings I should be aware of, or anything else before tackling this?

With a friend I am looking towards this game for a cool co-op experience. If I can clear the trophy list, that would be a nice bonus.

Trophy-wise, the biggest missable one is They'll Tell Stories About This, which requires finishing a faction story line from the very start of the game without being defeated once. This is pretty difficult if you are just getting into the game, but is made easier with co-op as if one player goes down, the other one can revive them which doesn't count as a defeat.

Otherwise, Outward's missable trophies are tied to in-game timers, e.g. if you leave a faction quest for too long you might get a 'failed' outcome. I haven't confirmed if this prevents getting that quest's trophy yet, but this is the biggest potential issue as the timers aren't made obvious or tracked in-game. I'd say the most important missable quests are the ones that trigger when you join a faction - ignoring these can make the final fight a bit harder, or even cause the loss of your starting home (along with missing the related quest trophies).

As starting advice, I'd recommend exploring the world without joining a faction to begin with, as the invisible timers don't start until you join one of the three factions. This means that you can acquire good weapons and armour, along with useful skills/passives, to make successfully completing the faction quests easier. Playing in co-op is also a good call, as you can tag-team enemies, revive each other and carry more loot.

I'm about halfway through the guide at the moment - the Perfect Defense trophy needs a lot of work if playing offline, so I'm thinking of the best way to explain this in the walkthrough ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Merco - do I have to play on Hardcore to get trophies, or normal is good enough?
And if I start the game solo, can I join or invite my friend later on, when I know the game a little bit better?
You know - continue with my character etc. Or do we have to start the journey together?

41 minutes ago, WrednyPL said:

@Merco - do I have to play on Hardcore to get trophies, or normal is good enough?
And if I start the game solo, can I join or invite my friend later on, when I know the game a little bit better?
You know - continue with my character etc. Or do we have to start the journey together?

There aren't any Hardcore-specific trophies, so I'd strongly recommend playing on normal. The only difference with Hardcore is that being defeated means a 20% chance of dying for real, which causes the game to delete your save! Hardcore difficulty players can also only join/be joined by other hardcore players, so if you are on HC and your friend is on normal, you won't be able to link up.

You can drop in and drop out whenever with co-op, so yes you can start in single player then have someone join later without any issues. The co-op works more along the lines of another player coming along to help then going back to their world, and is not tied to how you start the game. 

Edited by Merco
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, WrednyPL said:

And what about trophies for non-host? Are they awarded for both players or just the host of the session?

I haven't tested co-op trophies being earned, but I'd say that the player that performs the required action (kills a manticore, finds a gem etc.) will be the only one to earn the trophy.

I know that story progress doesn't carry through for joining players (so people from two different factions can help each other out), but I haven't extensively tested who earns what during co-op.

1 hour ago, Merco said:

I haven't tested co-op trophies being earned, but I'd say that the player that performs the required action (kills a manticore, finds a gem etc.) will be the only one to earn the trophy.

I know that story progress doesn't carry through for joining players (so people from two different factions can help each other out), but I haven't extensively tested who earns what during co-op.

My brother and I play online co-op. Killing the Manticore and Horror in his world made me earn the trophy as well.

Yet having first done my Holy Mission and parallel quests, he has not earned any trophies for that. Additionally, he can only see the updated log in my world. Once he’s back in his world, the Holy Mission logs are not visible anymore.

EDIT: Today I finished my Holy Mission quest line. While playing co-op, my brother always revived me. Playing solo I died once (getting a Defeat Scenario) after paying off my Lighthouse but before choosing a faction and starting their quest missions. I did not get the trophy for clearing a quest line without dying. I can only assume that is due to me getting the one Defeat Scenario.

So far, my guess is that you have to not get a Defeat Scenario from character creation up until clearing your final Faction Quest and triggering Well-Deserved Rest or whatever the final log entry is where you can free roam.

Edited by tostigroover
Addition
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, tostigroover said:

My brother and I play online co-op. Killing the Manticore and Horror in his world made me earn the trophy as well.

Yet having first done my Holy Mission and parallel quests, he has not earned any trophies for that. Additionally, he can only see the updated log in my world. Once he’s back in his world, the Holy Mission logs are not visible anymore.

EDIT: Today I finished my Holy Mission quest line. While playing co-op, my brother always revived me. Playing solo I died once (getting a Defeat Scenario) after paying off my Lighthouse but before choosing a faction and starting their quest missions. I did not get the trophy for clearing a quest line without dying. I can only assume that is due to me getting the one Defeat Scenario.

So far, my guess is that you have to not get a Defeat Scenario from character creation up until clearing your final Faction Quest and triggering Well-Deserved Rest or whatever the final log entry is where you can free roam.

Thanks for this, I'll be sure to add the double-earning trophies bit to the co-op section of the guide ?

Today I got the platinum trophy for this game. I might have some additional information, this time regarding the Legacy Chest.

My first character cleared the first Faction storyline. Afterwards I put an item I received from an online player into the Legacy Chest in Cierzo. I gave the Cierzo Town Key to my online co-op partner so that I could access the Legacy Chest right away with my second character (a Legacy character on that first one). I checked and double-checked that the item was in the Legacy Chest when creating my Legacy character.

In other words, to an online player I gave a key that my second character (Legacy on the first one) should not have in their possession, to have access to a Legacy Chest I should not have access to.

Either the fact that I put an item in the Legacy Chest that another player dropped for me, or the fact that I went to open the Legacy Chest even though at this point I should not have access to that Legacy Chest, made the item disappear from my Legacy Chest.

When I was not able to pick up the item, I figured I would try again on the third build (another Legacy character), this time placing items in a couple of Legacy Chests, and only using items that originated in my game, i.e., items that I found or bought.

When making my third and final character for the third and final Faction questline, I went to the Legacy Chest and received my Butcher's Cleaver.

While I do not know what exactly made my Legacy Chest bug out, maybe have some care that you put your own legitimate items in the Legacy Chest. With the Legacy character, get to the Legacy Chest legitimately. Otherwise, your game could have the potential to bug out on you.

In any case, I cleared the game, got all trophies, loved it a bunch, and look forward to the DLC.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tostigroover said:

Today I got the platinum trophy for this game. I might have some additional information, this time regarding the Legacy Chest.

My first character cleared the first Faction storyline. Afterwards I put an item I received from an online player into the Legacy Chest in Cierzo. I gave the Cierzo Town Key to my online co-op partner so that I could access the Legacy Chest right away with my second character (a Legacy character on that first one). I checked and double-checked that the item was in the Legacy Chest when creating my Legacy character.

In other words, to an online player I gave a key that my second character (Legacy on the first one) should not have in their possession, to have access to a Legacy Chest I should not have access to.

Either the fact that I put an item in the Legacy Chest that another player dropped for me, or the fact that I went to open the Legacy Chest even though at this point I should not have access to that Legacy Chest, made the item disappear from my Legacy Chest.

When I was not able to pick up the item, I figured I would try again on the third build (another Legacy character), this time placing items in a couple of Legacy Chests, and only using items that originated in my game, i.e., items that I found or bought.

When making my third and final character for the third and final Faction questline, I went to the Legacy Chest and received my Butcher's Cleaver.

While I do not know what exactly made my Legacy Chest bug out, maybe have some care that you put your own legitimate items in the Legacy Chest. With the Legacy character, get to the Legacy Chest legitimately. Otherwise, your game could have the potential to bug out on you.

In any case, I cleared the game, got all trophies, loved it a bunch, and look forward to the DLC.

I watched one review the other day that kept repeating 'Dark Souls like difficulty'.  Do you feel that's true?

18 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

I watched one review the other day that kept repeating 'Dark Souls like difficulty'.  Do you feel that's true?

Melee combat is certainly very Souls-like - waiting for enemies to attack, dodging this and then attacking them, plus the limited stamina system means you can't just go in swinging wildly and hope for success.

After my first playthrough, I'd say it's almost harder than the Souls games - the early game has a steep learning curve and the addition of hunger, thirst and depleting health/stamina bars means you need to pay attention to a lot more than just chugging estus/blood vials. It's also harder to improve your character in Outward, as you need to physically travel to trainers in different parts of the world instead of just doing it easily at a central hub/bonfire.

5 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

In my opinion, both Dark Souls games and Outward can be classified as difficult games. However, the difficulty comes in different forms.

From thes games, I have played the Soulsborne games the most, by far. In Dark Souls, difficulty stems from combat: hard-hitting enemies and your only counter against that is a tight, responsive comhat system that you tailor to your own needs. You find the difficulty in the combat and really only there--the emphasis really is on the action in 'action RPG.'

Distinct from that, I feel Outward offers difficulty as well. Its combat.offers difficulty, yes, but not in the same vein as Dark Souls. In Outward, you should not expect the same responsive controls as Dark Souls--Outward works in a different manner. Dodge rolls with immunity frames are non-existant, no parrying, blocking works in a more rudimentary fashion. Combat in Outward feels more clunky compared to Dark Souls.

Howeverm that does not mean it is not as satisfying! Both games offer a rewarding experience. Actually, in some ways maybe even more so in Outward. In Dark Souls, satisfaction only really comes from defeating bosses. The rest leading up to that can get a bit of a chore. On the other hand, in Outward you are constantly overcoming difficulty: enemies and bosses but also weather conditions, traversal, item management, stats, buffs, cooldowns of spells and abilities.

To conclude, to me, Outward does not feel like Dark Souls. Not enough to compare the two and put them in the same sentence, at least. Having played Dark Souls Remastered again before playing this game, I think the two are too far apart. Like I said, however, both offer very rewarding experiences. So what they offer is the same.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Merco said:

Hi all,

Just to update, I'm nearly done with the guide and expect to finish it (for submission) this weekend - the end of a long in-game journey!

Thank you for the hard work, looking forward to read through it :)

I'm glad to announce that the guide is now finished and published - check it out here!

I tried to maintain a balance between covering all the trophy requirements and not forcing people to play a certain way, so let me know what you think ?.