Warning! Stranger Sins DLC Save Bug!

Eternal21

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had read your post before starting, since I just got hit by that save bug today, and it cost me a couple of hours.

It does seem to do with the Graveyard Event, and it messes up some process that stops basically everything; not only crops will stop growing, but eventually you won't be able to progress through the quest line either. I was on a part of the quest where it tells you to talk to Dig, but he literally disappeared from my game once I hit this bug.

So yeah you certainly want to do the 15 event trophy (and getting the "excellent" rating on one of the parties) separately from the quest line.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:50 PM, Eternal21 said:

3. Make about 1000 Gold star bottles of gold star wine, and keep it at your own basement (not in the tavern basement) .  It takes about 70 bottles of wine to earn 1 reputation star.

Don't bother with alcohol or beer, Gold Wine raises reputation the most.

Although Wine does seem to raise reputation the best, I think getting 1000 Gold Wine seems like overkill. Beer doesn't give as much, but it's significantly easier to make: Gold Hops, the item as well as the Seed, can be bought from Miller (who is available everyday), whereas only Gold Grape Seeds are available from the Merchant (who is only available 1 day).

It is possible to expedite the process a bit (to get more Gold Grape Seeds) by using Quality Fertilizer 2 on Silver Grape Seeds, but it takes more management of other things to create the Fertilizer.

The conversion from Grape to Grape Juice should also be considered; it takes 15 Grapes for 1 Juice, and 2 Juice to make Wine, whereas you can directly make Beer from Hops, and it only needs 3 Hops per Beer. On top of that, the Beer making time is significantly faster than how long it takes to make Wine. So the little bit of math there is that it takes 30 Grapes for 20 Wine, whereas 30 Hops will give you 100 Beer. At least I think those numbers are right.

Of course, that doesn't account for the fact that Beer needs Water (which is really annoying to get a lot of as it turns out), or the Wheat, but I suppose it's just how you want to approach it. Mead also works though, so if you have a stockpile of Honey, that's also an option over Wheat.

Ultimately it just depends on how you want to approach it, it seems like there's not really an "ideal" way to do it, it's all probably pretty valid. I just personally preferred having Beer going while I worked on other things. For me, it would drive me a little crazy waiting on that many Grapes lol

• 3 months later...

I have only the 15 events trophy left but you guys are saying to make gold quality wine or beer to get reputation but in my game the tavern doesnt sell gold quality items at all, only during the events, on a day to day basis it only sells bronze or silver items.

And the save bug is still not fixed, after almost 1 year. I need to do 10 events, I just saved the game with 3 stars and 99% since its the maximum you can save up, guess now I will have to grind an entire day without stopping for the other 6 reputation.

21 hours ago, Eternal21 said:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the tavern keeps selling any quality of alcohol, as long as it's placed on a basement rack.

You are right. I was putting it into the barkeep inventory. His inventory are only the items to be sold during events.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I just got this trophy a few minutes ago and it’s 100% still bugged. Thank goodness I saw this thread ahead of time and so I was prepared. Thank you @Eternal21!

I looked around online and the general consensus seems to be that running 2 ‘Graveyard Fest’ events in a row is what causes this bug. But after running a few tests myself I would honestly advise avoiding Graveyard Fest entirely.

I saved this trophy for last, then I backed up my save to the cloud and ran back-to-back Graveyard Fests a few times in a row to see what would happen. The save bug still exists, but more often than not your game is likely to just freeze up or crash before even leaving the tavern. This happened to me almost every time I tried it.

After that I decided I would alternate between events, throwing in a Graveyard Fest every other event. This seemed to work at first, but it didn’t take long before my game started freezing or crash again within minutes after finishing the Graveyard Fest event.

I started over again from my save and decided to spend the extra resources just alternating between the slightly more expensive Rat Race & Comedy shows and ignoring Graveyard Fest altogether. It takes a little bit longer since you have to reach 2-star rep every time, but once I started ignoring Graveyard Fest I didn’t encounter another problem until the trophy popped. To be safe, make sure to warp home and sleep (save game) before running any event in case something goes wrong. And I would highly recommend backing up your save to the cloud before tackling this trophy just in case things take a turn for the worse.

Thanks again Eternal. ?

• Like 1

Experiencing this bug now. Just came across this thread and this whole thread is still valid, your whole game basically stops working after you do a Graveyard event. NPCs stop showing up, which halts your quests. Plants stop growing. & When you save, your game freezes if it doesn’t manage to crash beforehand.

I personally don’t even have to do two in a row for it to essentially halt the entire game. If I do any events, it happens, so I’m going to just do it all at once (without saving) eventually since this game can’t seem to function under its own DLC.

• 6 months later...

I previously avoided Graveyard Fests because I didn't want to screw up my save.

With the new patch (1.6) I just ran 3 Graveyard Fests in a row, without leaving the tavern. It seems to be softlocking during saving now. So I guess it's not fixed yet.

I noticed that using the teleport stone didn't work as usual, I had to press x to activate the options in the menu of the stone. After restarting and loading my save from before the Graveyard Fests, this menu worked like normal. So maybe the menu can be used as an early sign that stuff is messed up and you should quit and reload?

I didn't buy the new DLC though. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Edited by Maartje_

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that this bug is very much still present. Playing on PS5.   As Maartje_ above mentioned, you will know that it is bugged when you try to fast travel because the selection menu requires an extra press on the x button, so you can instantly reload to restore to a working state.

I achived this trophy by just doing comedy shows repeatedly while playing the game as normal instead of saving up and doing it all in one go.  Oddly though doing a perfect Greaveyard Feast did not softlock the game.

Got all DLC except Better save soul

Edited by sucuriju
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

It's not a guarantee that this bug hits you when you do a Graveyard Fest.

My game didn't freeze, softlock, crash, or bug out characters after doing a single GF.

I will add that I have all DLC, and play on a basecase PS4.

That said, the game is unstable as hell. I've had at least 20 crashes. Mostly when going to bed, but there have been instances where I closed a container/crafting station and saw the game crashing to XMB. It's also happened a few times during a cutscene.

• Like 1