Opinions on the game?

PatinumNumemon

I am gonna pick up this game eventually, but when I went to get me a copy at my local Gamestop, the manager (who is a pretty cool dude) said the game was bad, and that if I want to play a Gran Turismo game, I should wait for GT7, and so I picked up DOOM instead. His main complaint (if I remember correctly) was that there was not much to do offline and you had to be almost always connected online to play. As someone who will have this as their first GT game, and my prior racing experiences being Driveclub and Need For Speed when I was a kid, I ask what is your opinion on this game?

If you are interested in trying the game, then just buy it, it's not like it's expensive or something.. 

Said that:

They have been expanding the offline with lots of events since release (essentially each time that they added new tracks or cars, and both cars and tracks are free updates, what you see on the psn store are just time savers to buy the cars with real money instead in-game credits, there's only 1 "real" dlc, that's Hamilton Challenge mode DLC). 

But you are required to be always connected to the game server to save game progress (they changed something about this long ago, but I think that was just so that we could play, but not save while offline). 

The game is essentially an online platform, and the main focus is the online side of things. Specifically if you aim for the platinum.. 

From your background, I'm not sure to what extent you would find GT appealing to get into (it's way more strict as far as physics go than Driveclub, being a simulator and all..). 

And, ya, wait for GT7 ?, I'm quite sure that it will be released "soon" (now, let's not talk about what "soon" means for Polyphony Digital..) 

They promised it to be a return to the classic GT Mode, sure, but I see it only as a flashy promise.. The last GT game that I felt that had a deep and well made GT mode was GT4.. GT5 was odd, and GT6 felt somewhat streamlined in a bad way. What we saw for GT7 so far only looks flashy, nothing more.. If people are really expecting it to be a new grand GT game with an expensive GT mode, they are bound to be disappointed yet again.. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 1

Extremely disappointing, it was my first GT game and I was hoping for a massive car selection as the previous games had, unfortunately this game has a terrible car selection if I have to be honest I'd recommend getting one of the newer NFS games and waiting on GT7 :)

Edited by TommyMcLaughlin
  • Like 1

I would say for the price you can get this for now that it's worth it if you're interested in it. While it's probably true that the main focus of GT Sport is the online racing, there's definitely plenty to keep you occupied in the single player. Much of it was added through updates though, but it's definitely a much better game now than what it would have been on release. However I will say that the AI opponents are not the greatest, and I feel that other racing titles have much better AI than the Gran Turismo series in general.

I have played GT 3,4,5&6 and my opinion is that all of those were better games than Sport is, but like I said, it's cheap and the game plays really well so I'd be surprised if you couldn't get something out of it.

Be warned though that GT is nothing like NFS or Driveclub, there's a lot of emphasis on taking the correct driving line and proper racing etiquette, especially when playing online.

Also, I believe that you CAN play the single player without an online connection, but I don't think you can save your progress unless you're connected. So yeah, it's essentially an "always online" game I guess.

• Like 1

Offline racing is terrible. It's all depends on you skill, but if it's average, you'll lap opponents even in a cars twice slower than chosen category. And they don't overtake you or each other, don't defend, don't try driving outside the line, as if you on their way - they don't break.

The main way for me to farm credits was to race n300 car in n1000 race, and get bonus for car handicap.

• Like 1

I like GT Sport, but the worst part is the online "Sport" mode

I don't know what they were thinking, but only being able to make 3 races per hour is stupid !

You spend your time waiting for the race to begin, it's just a biiiig waste of time =/

(you can still try to get a better time for pole position, but after a few tries you just don't want to try anymore ^^')

@PatinumNumemon

My nephew played GT Sport for a while, from what I've seen it's a far cry from the PS1/PS2 era games. Felt like a slog to me.

I'm more of a simcade guy (Project Gotham Racing, Forza, Driveclub) and I'm really curious about the new GRID game.

Also, if you get a kick out of NfS, you can just get a cheap 1 month sub of EA Access and play and platinum the latest NfS Heat. It has ok reviews.

So yeah, my opinion is forget Gran Turismo, try something else instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy racing games, this is a fun game online. Especially when you start getting better and better. Single player can be ok but the ai are awful and doesn't seem to possess any kinda challenge. Only time single player is regularly played will be when your going for level 50. An unbelievable grind but can be done faster with certain cars on certain tracks.

If your serious about going for platinum be prepared for a long slog, winning 91 online races is unbelievably hard many would take 80 to 90 % trophy completion, im literally going for the level 50 and the record number of races 322 which takes a long time as you have 3 races every hour. If i get the 65 poles and 91 wins on the way then happy days but remember there's some unbelievably good players still to this day playing. 

Personally, I'd wait for Project Cars 3. It's suppose to be a mix of arcade and sim, allowing you to choose with assists.

Then GT7 down the line. GT Sport seems more like a spinoff/demo. Polyphony did this often back then. I'm surprised PS4 never got a true GT game (PS3 got two). At least give us ports GT3 and GT4! ?

15 minutes ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

At least give us ports GT3 and GT4! 1f62b.png

Not gonna lie, I would actually pick those up! I had a friend a few months back give me some of his old PS2 games and GT3 and GT4 were among the games (in pretty damn good condition) along with Midnight Club. I wanna hop back on my PS2 eventually to try them out but cleaning up the backlog is kinda a priority ?

Edited by PatinumNumemon