Are you screwed if you make a mistake?

dieselmanchild

I accidentally messed up on the first run with the control inputs and I'm probably just gonna bail on this game, it's basically a type of torture to sit through, thankfully I'm no longer controlled by trophies. You don't get anything for playing games you don't enjoy, increasing your number of platinums won't do anything anyway.?

I've tried to play with the dualshock and man.... it's frustrating! especially when you have to choose between 3 or more answers... you simply don't have enough time to find where your damn "cursor" is and then go for the reply you want... I rage quit after 2 wrong choices in a roll

Finally I decided to give a try on the app (I have an android 9.0 phone). Works so much better! Still not "wow, amazing controllers", but way better than the DS4. 

The only down point is that now I can't check on my phone to follow the guide ?
but this is easy to solve (I've just printed hahahaha)

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, dieselmanchild said:

Extremely unforgiving is right... in fact it’s downright maddening. I’m trying to follow a 6-playthrough guide but if and when you screw up it completely derails the entire playthrough!

I just fucked up again at the underground part where the options are to open the door or not. I swiped to “open door” and yet somehow messed it up, and now I’m locked out of another collectible by the looks of it.

This is so fucking frustrating! ???

Edit: Yes it seems when you fail to open that door as I did, you miss out on a huge section of the game afterwards where you get a lock and several more corpses. I’m now completely separated from the guide I was following and the steps I was taking to progress towards several trophies. I’m now confused as hell.

This is seriously some bullshit!

Even with the phone app, there are some decisions that lock you out of something you're going for. I tried to get the backstabber trophy and the happy family trophy in the same run but it's apparently not possible

Spoiler

because Mia won't even give you the chance the stab Blake before she shoots him.

The developers are either ignorant or complete trolls because the game autosaves after every decision and many decisions lock out other decisions. It's infuriating.

Edited by CuteBoringLove

14 hours ago, CuteBoringLove said:

Even with the phone app, there are some decisions that lock you out of something you're going for. I tried to get the backstabber trophy and the happy family trophy in the same run but it's apparently not possible

Hide contents

because Mia won't even give you the chance the stab Blake before she shoots him.

The developers are either ignorant or complete trolls because the game autosaves after every decision and many decisions lock out other decisions. It's infuriating.

The phone app merely eliminates the problem of accidentally selecting the wrong options due to the wonky touch pad swipe controls. But like you said, it doesn’t eliminate the consequences for messing up.

I found the instant saving in this game to be really strange too. It’s pretty common in games like this for players to want to retry a conversation or section of the game if they didn’t like the choices they made, the consequences of an action, or if they want to explore the other paths at any given time. Usually you’d be able to exit out and retry, and start at the beginning of the encounter. But the way it auto saves after everything you do means doing an entirely new run if you want to explore other options or if you accidentally screw up. It’s just needlessly tedious.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I attempted this game back when it was free for ps plus, but stopped due to the terrible controls on the DS4. I downloaded the app on my phone and still couldn't figure it out.  I just got a PS5, noticed the touchpad felt a lot more precise than PS4, and I've been having little to no issues whatsoever with just the PS5 controller.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Safest bet is to back-up your saves regularly if you struggle with the controls, especially in parts you know you are going to fail.  As mentioned many times in here, the games autosaves after every decision made - just exit the game and make a back-up either through PSN cloud or USB drive. Normally I would back-up in the middle of a playthrough, just in case.  The first time I played this with the EU stack I missed 'the kiss' for some reason.  It's so easy to get lost and miss the timer when you're playing while referring to a guide.  I also missed Document 3 back then - the one where you get the match while making perfume and that one was a playthrough specific collectible.  Good thing Playthrough 5 is a FREE-to-do-whatever until you get back to Delphi House from the Chief Inspector's house, and I got that missed collectible from there.

So yeah backing up your game regularly can save you a whole lot of time and potentially preneting an extra-unnecessary playthrough and stick to the recommended five runs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...