Can we still play this game on the Emulated Network?

Lordidude

25 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Imagine spending 100s of hours of your personal time to revive dead servers for your favorite game. Now, imagine someone wants to abuse your work only to get virtual trophies and not actually enjoy the game.

I mean it's just me, but I would be totally okay with that. Anyone who wants to play the game, if I put forward the effort, as long as they're not breaking anything I'd be okay with that. Like someone else in the thread said, they might even find they have fun while doing it and become a fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

Imagine spending 100s of hours of your personal time to revive dead servers for your favorite game. Now, imagine someone wants to abuse your work only to get virtual trophies and not actually enjoy the game.

Trophy Hunters are the main focus of these bans, since they're not playing public matches with the revived community and once they get their precious trophies, they'll likely leave all together and never put interest back into the project.

I understand why these statements have been made and why they're enforced. What I don't understand is why it's not opensource and readily available to everyone. Feels like they're harming their own community with these restrictions.

They've actually specified somewhere that they don't want "script kiddies" to come onto the server and start modding it with the open source code, I guess it being closed source gives them the control to ban anyone who breaks the rules whereas if it was open source it'd open up the potential for issues that they can't control. Demon's Souls was DDOS attacked a few times when the source code was public so unfortunately no matter where you go there will be pieces of shit who ruin your project for their own selfish trolling purposes.

• Like 3

There reason for not giving the source code out was stated on there discord server. 

Are You Open Source: 

No, we will never open source our code. Server codes in an untrusty hands, can lead to your personal information leaked.

-Client IP Address during a connection

-User ingame name

-User region/language at a country basis

-Unique Console ID (PSID)

-User ingame data (Messages, clans, etc.) (source)

I searched for hours last night both on their website and discord channel regarding trophy boosting. The question was brought up a few times by others but the answer given was inconclusive. 

They never specially said you could do it nor that you can't do it. I also found no where on their site or discord channel where they stated trophy hunters would be banned. Lordidude asked this question on their discord server, 

Sounds great. I am sure there are many trophyhunters willing to join this community.

Is it possible to set up boosting servers then?

One of their staff members "Thalhammer" left this reply, 

Possible: yes

Wanted: no

Tolerated: kind of, as long as you dont over do it (source)

As you can see it seems to be a gray area right now. I still don't know where you guys seen someone say you'd be banned for it. You guys haven't even given me any sources to these claims. 

I sent a message to their staff asking about boosting trophies. I have not received a reply back yet but when I do I'll post it here. 

We also have to realize that there are 2 types of boosting. 

There is Stat / Leaderboard Boosting also known as stat padding. This is where people boost to get higher up on the leaderboards. This is what they don't want you to do. They want the leaderboards to be legit. The Problem is Trophy Boosting. On it's own it is semi harmless as trophy hunters do not care about leaderboards but the process of boosting a trophy can make it seem as if you are stat padding and their staff is not going to be able to tell the difference between a stat padder and a trophy booster. Especially if you are moving up on their leaderboards to fast. "The don't over do it part" was basically them saying that you are allowed to do it but just don't do it to often or to much as you may be mistaken for a stat padder and risk being banned. 

Edited by Deathon6
  • Like 2

The bottom line is : This is flaggable. You may not understand the terminology, etc, but I do.

This isn't safe : Joining their server gives them certain information only Sony is supposed to have.

It's not reliable : They can ban you. Servers need to be 100% available to anyone at any time, to keep things fair.

It's not open source : Which is important!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

The bottom line is : This is flaggable. You may not understand the terminology, etc, but I do.

This isn't safe : Joining their server gives them certain information only Sony is supposed to have.

It's not reliable : They can ban you. Servers need to be 100% available to anyone at any time, to keep things fair.

It's not open source : Which is important!

Thanks for clearing this up.

The response by the admins on discord were quite clear that it's not welcomed to boost.

But this seals the deal and makes sense. 

No trophy is worth giving them classified information.

20 hours ago, B1rvine said:

Yes but that's one of the reasons given for not being open source. If they make it open source then more people will have access to that information. 

Also many official servers can also ban you and can be shut down with out notice. It's stated in many online games. 

Also they have been mentioned on the news (Washington Post) There's other sites that mention them to. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deathon6 said:

If they make it open source then more people will have access to that information. 

Yes and no.  If it was open source, you could likely run the server yourself on your own computer, without needing them. Then you'd be giving your information to yourself (or giving/getting your friends info, which is a bit more trustworthy).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 5:43 AM, B1rvine said:

Yes and no.  If it was open source, you could likely run the server yourself on your own computer, without needing them. Then you'd be giving your information to yourself (or giving/getting your friends info, which is a bit more trustworthy).

Can you confirm if you can get flagged for earning trophies the legit way in those servers? I'm and old warhawk fan, I put over 2000 hours into the game, but despite mostly being a trophy hunter, I never hunted trophies or boosted in that game, I just enjoyed since IMO is the best war game ever made. Thing is I ended up with only 2 trophies left to get, and if this is a thing, I might go for them.

23 minutes ago, JENS_LIQUEN said:

Can you confirm if you can get flagged for earning trophies the legit way in those servers? I'm and old warhawk fan, I put over 2000 hours into the game, but despite mostly being a trophy hunter, I never hunted trophies or boosted in that game, I just enjoyed since IMO is the best war game ever made. Thing is I ended up with only 2 trophies left to get, and if this is a thing, I might go for them.

You can get flagged probably not automatically, but anyone can manually report a flag on your account if they find trophies earned from a dead game without an approved method of earning (it needs to not just be legitimate but also be an approved method by the CRT/Admin).

It's not approved as it's not open source.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i don't think warhawk should be flaggable, especially since the rules imposed to prevent trophy boosting are practically draconian

at the same time, the virtually aggressive stance against people looking to boost trophies is uncalled for

• Like 2