PS5 upgrades for PS4 games in different regions?

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

Alright so this is a rather specific question, and with how new the PS5 is, I kinda doubt anyone has tried this yet but... I had this question pop into my head: If you buy a physical PS4 game that can be upgraded to the PS5 version for free when popped into a PS5 console, BUT that PS4 game happens to be a different region to your account (e.g. Japanese or North American region disc, with a UK account), would you still be able to upgrade it, considering the upgrade is the digital version? Or would you need to create an account for that game's region?

I import games fairly often, since there's some physical games we don't get in Europe (e.g. all the Mega Man legacy collections, lots of LRG releases, and some Japanese/Asian English physicals), and while there isn't really any physical PS4 games for other regions yet that offer PS5 upgrades (aside from maybe Bugsnax if that doesn't release here), I know it's probably inevitably gonna happen at some point, and I'm curious if I'd be able to get the PS5 digital upgrades for those games if that happens to be the case.

I would think that you would need to redeem the digital upgrade on an account linked with the region from where the game came. So even if the game has a world wide trophy list, if you are using a North American disc, i would think that you would need to redeem the digital upgrade on the NA store. Same as how DLC works. Since the game ID is different for different regions, I don't think an NA disc would unlock the digital benefits on an EU account.

I could be wrong, but I think you'll get an error indicating that benefit is not available on your store.

• Like 2

Yes, you'd need to redeem the upgrade on the store from where the disc came from then play the upgraded PS5 version using your regular account.

I've not actually seen confirmation of being able to do this though. Can anyone confirm that? Buy a game using an NA account then play (and earn trophies of course) using an EU account? Any combination of regions obviously, not just the combo I used as an example 

29 minutes ago, AvengedEvil said:

You mean if this specific games is exclusively available in another region than yours? Then I assume you have to create an account for this region.

Not necessarily. It might be a game available in my region, but only digitally. So if I were to import a physical copy from the US, for example, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get the digital PS5 upgrade for it or not.

15 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I would think that you would need to redeem the digital upgrade on an account linked with the region from where the game came. So even if the game has a world wide trophy list, if you are using a North American disc, i would think that you would need to redeem the digital upgrade on the NA store. Same as how DLC works. Since the game ID is different for different regions, I don't think an NA disc would unlock the digital benefits on an EU account.

I could be wrong, but I think you'll get an error indicating that benefit is not available on your store.

Yeah, that's what I imagine would be the case. Even game saves tend to be region locked, so I would actually be kinda surprised if physical copies of NA games did unlock the digital PS5 versions on my EU account, but it's not something I can seem to find any confirmation on.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I guess this is probably gonna be something I'm just going to have to wait and see on. It's not the end of the world if I can't get both versions of the game anyway, but it's nice to have that option (anddoubletrophylists).

• 3 months later...

I bought Borderlands 3 for PS4 from the UK, and had some issues upgrading to the PS5 version in the Bulgarian PSN Store, so what I did is switch the Store Region on the PS5 to UK and redeemed the upgrade from there. Then I was able to download the PS5 version without making a UK PSN account for some reason.

Not sure if those are the correct steps, but if you already have a game, you can try. You have nothing to lose.

Edited by Ggd07
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ggd07 said:

so what I did is switch the Store Region on the PS5 to UK and redeemed the upgrade from there. Then I was able to download the PS5 version without making a UK PSN account for some reason.

How did you switch the store on your console? I know you can do this on XBOX, but not on PS.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bendermac said:

How did you switch the store on your console? I know you can do this on XBOX, but not on PS.

It's an option only available to EU players but the region change is restricted to EU countries. To change your store region, you have to use the "Storefront Country" tab in the console PS store, then follow the instructions from there.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2