PS5 needs an auto-install on-off option.

GizMo_The_Great

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2022 at 2:30 AM, boorish_brute said:

This till date hasn't been fixed and is quite annoying tbh.

Yeah I'm dealing with this currently with Dying Light 2. Have the PS4 version on disc, but playing with the PS5 upgrade...every time I turn my PS5 on I have to delete the PS4 install. Obviously I've had to deal with this with other games too, but it's gotten quite old at this point. 

The problem though, is I don't want to turn off auto-installs completely...more often than not, it's a feature I want to have. We just need an option per game (not per system), where we can tell it to stop auto-installing that game specifically. Like pressing Options when the install comes up and just press to turn it off. 

Edited by Viper

2 hours ago, Viper said:

We just need an option per game (not per system), where we can tell it to stop auto-installing that game specifically.

Even just pure on/off would be better than nothing. Sure it would be annoying to handle if you switch to new games often. 

I'm going through this with H:FW right now. It's pretty annoying and I like to keep my dashboard as clean as possible so even having that PS4 version box sitting there bugs me.

I have noticed that the PS4 version isn't actually installing anymore, though. It always says "copying paused". I didn't bother deleting it today and it did not start installing. I'm using the Game Disc, not the Data Disc. I don't know if that makes any difference.

12 hours ago, Eeda said:

And I almost thought you had good news here xD

I was hoping someone would have a good work-around. The pausing one seems to be the best option, but it still bothers me.

5 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

I'm going through this with H:FW right now. It's pretty annoying and I like to keep my dashboard as clean as possible so even having that PS4 version box sitting there bugs me.

I have noticed that the PS4 version isn't actually installing anymore, though. It always says "copying paused". I didn't bother deleting it today and it did not start installing. I'm using the Game Disc, not the Data Disc. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I played Elden Ring without this problem. Then later realized that the installation of the PS4 version had some errors in the download list, so it never installed it and never showed up on my dashboard. Recently finished Cyberpunk and had to delete the PS4 version every time I booted up the system and again the same issue when I try to play Hades now :( 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, Viper said:

Yeah I'm dealing with this currently with Dying Light 2. Have the PS4 version on disc, but playing with the PS5 upgrade...every time I turn my PS5 on I have to delete the PS4 install. Obviously I've had to deal with this with other games too, but it's gotten quite old at this point. 

The problem though, is I don't want to turn off auto-installs completely...more often than not, it's a feature I want to have. We just need an option per game (not per system), where we can tell it to stop auto-installing that game specifically. Like pressing Options when the install comes up and just press to turn it off. 

This. I have the PS4 versions of H:FW, Cyberpunk and Biomutant and I have double icons for all three that nearly fill my main menu of games. It’s annoying as heck. I started out deleting them, but they always come back when I reinsert the disc to play the PS5 versions so I’ve just started leaving them now.

On 02/11/2022 at 0:50 AM, Infected Elite said:

not too hard to just delete inferior version. Never had an issue. Takes a few seconds to press options, scroll to delete.

Gamers are lazy 

They come back every time you reinsert the disc (which you have to do to play the PS5 version). 

Edited by Maenta
  • Like 1

Strange, I've not seen this issue. Cyberpunk and Skyrim both place the PS4 & 5 icons on my XMB, but only installs the one I initially requested. I found this out by accidentally clicking on the PS4 icon for Skyrim and it started the full install. The only really annoying part is the extra icon takes up a space before having to look at the full install list. But I don't keep many things installed at once, so it's a minor issue.

47 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

so what? it takes. few seconds to delete as well as stop an install. 

SSDs have a limited number of read/write cycles.

On 02/11/2022 at 6:20 AM, Infected Elite said:

not too hard to just delete inferior version. Never had an issue. Takes a few seconds to press options, scroll to delete.

Gamers are lazy 

Imagine that when starting a car, the windscreen wipers are auto on by default. Takes only a few seconds to turn them off. Doesn't change the fact that they are gradually wearing down. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LaxmiNarayanan said:

SSDs have a limited number of read/write cycles.

chances of it breaking are slim to none. Even still SSDs are cheap.

44 minutes ago, LaxmiNarayanan said:

Imagine that when starting a car, the windscreen wipers are auto on by default. Takes only a few seconds to turn them off. Doesn't change the fact that they are gradually wearing down. 

maintain your vehicle bruh

20 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

so what? it takes. few seconds to delete as well as stop an install. 

It taking a few seconds doesn't make it any less annoying to have to do this every single time you turn your console on. Sony creating a quality of life update to stop this is only a positive thing that favors everyone. 

Happy to be lazy as shit in this regard because it's THAT annoying. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Viper said:

It taking a few seconds doesn't make it any less annoying to have to do this every single time you turn your console on. Sony creating a quality of life update to stop this is only a positive thing that favors everyone. 

Happy to be lazy as shit in this regard because it's THAT annoying. 

then email sony and complain.

OR if available ONLY buy the ps5 version of games.

• 1 month later...

So it seems there's still PS4 games that like to auto-install no matter what on PS5. I have about 20 or so PS4 discs I've used to upgrade to the PS5 versions installed on my PS5. All of them so far aside from two games had no issues with the PS4 versions installing automatically - but KeyWe and Astria Ascending both demand to have the PS4 versions installed, so I've just begrudgingly accepted it, I have a 5TB external HDD connected to my PS5 for PS4 games (and storing played PS5 games) anyway so it's not a massive issue, other than mild annoyance.

I've tried looking into it and it seems this is indeed just a thing that happens with some PS4 disc games that have PS5 upgrades, with Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077 and FF7 Remake being the ones I mostly commonly found complaints about. It's a shame that this continues to be an issue with some games.

It probably means nothing, but curiously, for both KeyWe and Astria Ascending - their updates simply said "no title" when installing, and they happen to be the only games I've noticed this with so far. Also for these games, when I have the PS4 disc inserted, the disc icon over the PS5 game will be white, like the disc isn't actually inserted, but the game does start up as long as the disc is actually in there. It's like there's some slight weird mismatch between the PS4 and PS5 versions of these games specifically.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:54 AM, Jelly Soup said:

Strange, I've not seen this issue. Cyberpunk and Skyrim both place the PS4 & 5 icons on my XMB, but only installs the one I initially requested. I found this out by accidentally clicking on the PS4 icon for Skyrim and it started the full install. The only really annoying part is the extra icon takes up a space before having to look at the full install list. But I don't keep many things installed at once, so it's a minor issue.

Today I noticed that the issue for me has been semi-resolved and it behaves the way as described in the comment. I had issues with Hades PS4 disc auto-installing the PS4 version whenever I popped in the disc, and now I only see a PS4 version icon upon inserting the disc and it gives me an option to "copy" which requires my input.