PS4's Having Overheating Issues Already

Chambers35

It isn't that you need an outlet adapter. The NA power grid is 60 hz and the EU is 50 hz. Have you ever heard an urban legend of the American tourist who's hairdryer caught fire when they tried to use it on their trip to Europe? It's because American electronics are set up to run on 60 hz and not 50. It will run hot and may cause the wiring to burn off it's insulation and catch on fire.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_you_run_a_60Hz_appliance_on_a_50Hz_will_it_hurt_the_appliance .

Except simple electrical devices, like hair dryer, and electronics work a bit differently. Most common dryers works with AC (alternating current), which is what you get from wall outlet, and which actually have frequency. They are simple electric devices, that just straight up put power to motor and heater.

Electronic works differently - for starters, components uses DC. This is why, you actually need PSU/power brick. It converts power from AC input, to specific DC output.

For PS3 this is specification of PSU:

• AC Input: 100-240V, 3.6-1.5A,50-60Hz
  • DC Output:+12V-23.5A,+5V-0.6A

which allows it to works on every electrical grid.

Look at your laptop's PSU - you will (should) find similar specs.

More or less - I'm not electrician, but there shouldn't be anything factually wrong here.

Edited by AkodoRyu
  • Like 2

Except simple electrical devices, like hair dryer, and electronics work a bit differently. Most common dryers works with AC (alternating current), which is what you get from wall outlet, and which actually have frequency. They are simple electric devices, that just straight up put power to motor and heater.

Electronic works differently - for starters, components uses DC. This is why, you actually need PSU/power brick. It converts power from AC input, to specific DC output.

For PS3 this is specification of PSU:

• AC Input: 100-240V, 3.6-1.5A,50-60Hz
  • DC Output:+12V-23.5A,+5V-0.6A

which allows it to works on every electrical grid.

Look at your laptop's PSU - you will (should) find similar specs.

More or less - I'm not electrician, but there shouldn't be anything factually wrong here.

This. When I was in Italy over the summer, all the electronics I took with me (Vita, iPhone, laptops, iPad) worked perfectly fine. They are designed to work universally. All that I needed was an adapter so that I could plug them into European style plugs. Hairdryers normally are not universal and would need a power converter to change the Hz required. 

I'm a little confused by your post so I am going to assume that you meant to say the air coming out of your PS4 is cold and you also have your PS3 on & it is the system that is keeping your presumably small room heated. I will also presume that the longer you have your PS4 on you will start to notice it heat up but if your room is naturally cold that will help the longevity life of your PS4. My advice, turn off the PS3 and wear a parka!

You didn't get the joke :( What I meant was, I used my PS3 to heat up my room during the winter but the PS4 gives cool air. 

Since my PS3 was a heater, the PS4 is air conditioning.

I don't need air conditioning during the winter 

:P

You didn't get the joke :( What I meant was, I used my PS3 to heat up my room during the winter but the PS4 gives cool air. 

Since my PS3 was a heater, the PS4 is air conditioning.

I don't need air conditioning during the winter 

:P

A friendly response: Oooh!!! Now I get it! Bawahahahahaha....err, yeah that was good!

:yay:

• Like 2

My response is, what do you expect? Every time I buy something "new" I brace myself for what could happen. Had a 360 that red-ringed on me way back when, twice. With that it was my console had been gone for weeks while Microsoft "repaired" it, though I'm pretty sure they sent a recently refurbished console every time. If this light tells you that the console is overheating and saves you not only the trouble but the cost of a bricked console, I'd say it's a good thing. These are the risks you take buying any type of console day one.

I have mine in an entertainment center, about 5-6 inches of open space around all sides and a pretty good size hole in the back (no door on the front so that's completely open all the time. It definitely gets warm and the fan runs almost constantly (at varying speeds) any time it's on, but it doesn't seem to be anything worrisome. My original ps3 60GB was about 100 times hotter and louder. I'd say this is about equal to my 2nd ps3, which was one of the early non-fatty models.

I've had mine on for a total of probably 18-20 hours since Thursday night and as much as 5-6 hours in a single run.

Edited by onuosfan
  • Like 1

I just really don't have a good way to do that...at least not without it really looking horrible in my living room, which the wife would not be too happy about. If it starts to seem like it's really getting hot or the fan starts going crazy, maybe I'll think about switching something around, but it's not worrying me at this point.

• Like 1

The PS4 runs significantly cooler in the vertical position. I don't have a vertical-stand (Gamestop didn't have em), but I fnd my PS4 stands vertically just fine on a level surface (like my media shelf). You should try it proping it up vertically for a few hours & see how much cooler it runs. 

So I have mixed feelings about this. I imagine if you have a vertical stand and a safe environment to place your PS4 I would say that would be a good idea. What I don't like about it is that many of us don't really have that kind of environment & I don't particularly IMO consider it a good idea to stand up this system vertically.

Now personally I have two cats who dominate the entire 3 bedroom apartment I have. One is more notorious to climbing furniture than the other but they still are typical climbers. In fact early on I named our second cat Bandit because he stole his way into my household. It wasn't long before he was living up to his name in other ways: climbing into the empty washer machine, the full dryer, on top of kitchen tables, fold away tables, on shelves walking from shelf to shelf behind TVs. Although I've caught him once near one of the PS3's he's never actually laid on one as a source of heat or otherwise.

• Like 1

... All our cats climb too, and one of them likes to sleep/sit on my 360 (which is horizontal) on the bottom shelf near the floor.  :) Cats do love the heat.

I also have a cat like Bandit! His name is Red (named after a Final Fantasy 7 character); On a late halloween night a few years ago, I opened our front door (to go outside for some fresh air & a maybe a quick outdoor pee) and he just ran in between my feet & into the house. He darted into my kitchen and homed in on a bowl of cat food on the floor. It was the damndest thing. I have no idea where he came from, but he decided to move in after that :D

When I first saw the name 'Red' I immediately thought of FF7 & fricking if ever you confirmed that's where he got his name! He's a braver cat than Bandit. Short version is Bandit was supposed to be a rescued nephew of our 1st cat. We had to chase him down to bring him in, house train him, then give him to a person who had interest in him. But that person backed out & of course the little woman had no one else but us to care for him.

Some day you and I are going to have to share cat stories!

• Like 1

I actually took your advice last night and tried to move it outside the entertainment center and place it vertically...and I honestly don't think it made a difference. I mean, there was a slight difference, but not enough to go through the hassle, and I think that could have just been that it was in a more open space as much as that it was vertical.

Obviously the big difference when you place it vertically is that both of the largest sides are open to the air....but from the couple of hours I did it last night, I can't see that there's a really significant advantage to doing it that way.

The PS4 runs significantly cooler in the vertical position. I don't have a vertical-stand (Gamestop didn't have em), but I fnd my PS4 stands vertically just fine on a level surface (like my media shelf). You should try it proping it up vertically for a few hours & see how much cooler it runs. 

Any credible source for that info? None of previous gen consoles benefited from being set vertically.

'IGN users and other folks online are reporting problems with their PlayStation 4'

No actual numbers there beyond 'some' which is ridiculous journalism.

Some people mentioned giving the PS4 unit adequate heating. This is key and will solve the majority of heating issues with -any- console. I've seen some pretty bad gaming set-ups in my time. Consoles wedged in between a set of shelves and the TV, consoles with things resting on top of them or in confined enclosed spaces. When they inevitably melt and turn into a puddle of plastic on the floor, people will enrage. It must be the console right? not the fact that you've been storing it in the oven.

Look after your consoles guys. And your consoles will look after you.

This may not help for you but what I have done in my man cave is in the one corner of my room I have 4 boxes of 5000 count trading cards (baseball, football, etc) that I have been collecting for years stacked on top of each other. They are very strong boxes so not worried about condition of the cards. On top of these boxes I placed the box that my Sony Bravia sound system on top of this with another slightly smaller box inside of it for reinforcement of Sony box strength. Then I placed large fan on top of this. 

To the right of this is my first metal shelf that has one of my PS3s sitting on a strong metal tray that has tiny mesh holes all over it. This is in close proximity that I can have the fan on the lowest setting but helps cool air flow in the area of the PS3.

I also have a floor fan I picked up from Sam's Club as well that I have sitting on the opposite side of the room that points in the general direction of the electronics that I have on all the shelves up against the wall that run to the right of the 1st fan I mentioned.