PS4's Having Overheating Issues Already

Chambers35

IGN users and other folks online are reporting problems with their PlayStation 4 -- a mysterious, blinking red light atop the hardware. Many feared ahead of the console's launch that this "red line of death" indicated PS4's fail state, meaning the next-gen console was dead. This is not the case. Here's the deal.[/size]

If you boot your PS4 and find yourself staring at a frightening red power indicator, it means your PS4 is overheating. But don't fret -- it's not bricked, it hasn't melted, and it probably won't explode. The machine just needs time to cool down, so step away and try again later. If you have persistent issues, if your PS4 breaks for other reasons, check IGN's PS4 problems wiki page and call 1-800-345-SONY. For the full breakdown of how PS4's hardware works, you can read the instruction manual online.

Source

This certainly worries me :hmm: I never had any issues with my PS3 overheating and I had it on longer than most people have had their PS4's so far, and I'm sure lots of other people did too.

Thoughts?

More than likely the people who are having overheating issues aren't giving them proper ventilation. Unfortunately there is no way to tell, especially with it being the internet and I'm sure there are Xbox fanboys who are claiming they have a PS4 that did this to try and make it seem like a bigger deal than it is. 

Also, I think it is a great thing the system does this. It is telling you it needs to cool down so it doesn't melt itself like the 360. This should potentially save a lot of systems, hopefully when it has the red line it won't allow any games to be played. 

Parker

Yeah I thought that too. For all we know they could be cramped into little units in a hot room.

I agree about the feature as well, very good idea. I still can't help the paranoia that's settling in lol  :unsure:

I rather be warned that the console is heating up than not be warned at all and screw up a next-gen console which you can't get your hands for a while due to the huge demand and pre-orders. I have pre-ordered mine and I will be getting mine Day 1 in Australia on the 29th of November but when I do have mine set up, I will make sure it is being cooled down and in an open area just like how my PS3 is.

Like Parker said, hard to make assumptions on the PS4, it just came out and chances are those people weren't taking good care of it. Unless we know the full story for every instance of people getting that red light, nothing can be said at all about it. :)

Couldn't the problem also be, Europeans trying to use an American PS4? I was about to buy one in America but I realised the voltage was way different and it would get way too hot. 

PS3 and PS4 have universal PSU - can be used with 130V and 240/250V networks without any issues.

If you were to connect 130V PSU to 240V network, it would get damaged immediately (a little buzz, a little smoke, and you need new PSU). It would not boot up at all after this.

Edited by AkodoRyu
  • Like 1

PS3 and PS4 have universal PSU - can be used with 130V and 240/250V networks without any issues.

If you were to connect 130V PSU to 240V network, it would get damaged immediately (a little buzz, a little smoke, and you need new PSU). It would not boot up at all after this.

I think it would overheat eventually though... Can someone else confirm this?

I don't know if some people are just unlucky and get faulty parts (which is understandable at a small number) or have their console inside a cabinet or on a carpet floor and expect everything to be okay, I still have my original 360 which never red ringed me only problem I ever had with it was the tray breaking.

rsz_1382157316542.jpg

You would need a plug adapter, but not an actual electrical converter. Most modern technology has universal power now.

*Facepalm* Screw you amazon... I could have had my PS4 already :'(

It isn't that you need an outlet adapter. The NA power grid is 60 hz and the EU is 50 hz. Have you ever heard an urban legend of the American tourist who's hairdryer caught fire when they tried to use it on their trip to Europe? It's because American electronics are set up to run on 60 hz and not 50. It will run hot and may cause the wiring to burn off it's insulation and catch on fire.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_you_run_a_60Hz_appliance_on_a_50Hz_will_it_hurt_the_appliance

I can tell you right now: This rumour is bunk!

MY PS4 runs very cool the touch, and very quiet. It only warms up abit when I have a game running with a window opened too for a long time - but no warmer than PS3 slim, XB360 S or Wii U. Reports from ign, eurogamer and some early adopters complaining about heating issues are overly exaggerated. Obviously pre-release models (like what reviewers & the TacoBell PS4 Contest winners, most likely received) get hot - and ofcourse a few people always get defunct retail units at launch. The problem with the internet is: it magnifies a few rare instances to look like a widespread issue (which it most definitely is not).

I only wish I could let you guys see my PS4, it'd calm your worries. I've run mine since 2am (EST) last night - thats18 hours straight! Playing Battlefield 4, Killzone: Shadowfall, COD Ghosts, Injustice, and AC4 (watched a few Blurays too) - and its only slightly warm right now!

So that is amazing that you have had it on for 18 hours.

As for my PS4 it is on an entertainment center that is almost waist high. With no walls at the top the TV is in the center and PS4 and PS3 sit on left/right side respectively so plenty of open air with no obstructions. The most I've run my PS4 so far was 5 hours straight. Today it is on its 3rd hour. The right side of the PS4 is slightly warm but not enough to even be remotely worried. The left side is cool. The back where the vents are have hot air coming out but I feel it is a normal output. If I had any concerns about this it is that the size of the vent holes are by far the largest I've seen on a Playstation model. I anticipate having to clean these more often.

I've had it on all day so far and just checked the back. The air coming out is actually pretty cold. The PS3 acted as a heater in my room. This worries me, especially since winter is coming. I don't need air conditioning.

I'm a little confused by your post so I am going to assume that you meant to say the air coming out of your PS4 is cold and you also have your PS3 on & it is the system that is keeping your presumably small room heated. I will also presume that the longer you have your PS4 on you will start to notice it heat up but if your room is naturally cold that will help the longevity life of your PS4. My advice, turn off the PS3 and wear a parka!