Is this really as bad as reviewers make it out to be?

Lady Lilith

God this game is awful i cant believe I wasted $60 on it! Its like a hack and slash with no reason to hack or slash except to advance the shitty story line. There is NO DEPTH to this game at all whatsoever, so unless your getting this game for your 5 year old son, don't waste the money. Even if you are planning on getting it for your 5 year old son, DONT get like Skylanders Swapforce instead. Skylanders is like the same hack and slash gameplay but you can level up your characters so there is actually a reason to stay around and fight the baddies rather than just run past all of them.

• 3 months later...

Well, I got this as my first PS4 game (the second being AC4), and overall I enjoyed it well enough...but it left me wishing for more, and it kinda had some filler-y parts.  Also I feel like it took too long to really get into the villian's motives.  I mean, it was obvious from the beginning he was a bad guy, but I suppose I kept feeling like something horrible would happen, but it never really does, and by the time there actually is some bad shit going down, it's the end of the game.

Also, Skylanders as a recommendation? You mean the game that forces you to buy all those statue things as DLC on steroids?

• 3 months later...

I found the game very enjoyable. Its in the same catagory as Call of Juarez Bound In Blood; nothing spectacular or unique but what it sets out to do it does well, is enjoyable and has many merits.

As a platformer, yes, its distinctly average, but thats ok. I think this is a problem with our rating system again. We say its 'out of ten' but we all know games are rated 6-10, with 6 being interpreted as bad, 7 ok, 8 good/great, 9 brilliant and 10 outstanding. Whereas, in a REAL 10 point system, 6 would be 'good', 7 very good, 8 brilliant, 9 outstanding and 10 'Holy crap'.  (5 average, 4 poor, 3, bad, 2 terrible 1. Godawful)

I liked it. Did i love it? No.But man the visuals sure were purdy.

It's awful. It could have been something yet it's a shallow piece of trash. Humanity was done a complete disservice by being exposed to this game. I don't mind hard ... and it is. But it's hard for the wrong reasons. Seldom are you actually a powerful big knack. Little knack blows. Big knack isn't much better either. Got this game in a race with a friend to see who could beat it faster. I won ... but it feels like I lost ... Now it's about bumping the completion rate because beating a game on hard for 28% just doesn't feel ... right.

And the person who decided that chests would generate collectables randomly needs to be shot. Just a flesh wound though. But then anyone who was bothered by this game gets to pour salt into the open wound. Random generation of items is a crock.

Well ... got the platinum. Co-op can be fun. But all in all I'm glad this journey is over. They could have really made this a fun game. It was rushed and shallow and it shows unfortunately. Pretty firm stance on this game for sides. You love it or you hate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: As of 29/06/2018, I have since exchanged Knack 1 for credit at my local used game shop and have hidden its trophies to avoid further embarrassment at my naivety of thinking it was not only worth my time, but deciding that it would be the first PS4 title to ever grace my trophy list (the others games I've hidden years later being Naughty Bear and Rocket Knight on PS3. NB cos it's as shite as everybody says and I was too dumb to realise at the time, and while RK isn't bad, I eventually decided it wasn't for me. But considering that it's a dload-only game, I *may* give it a go some other day, since I'm stuck with it either way).

As for how many trophies I got before hiding them from the public? All of 'em, minus Ultimate Knack, Diamond MedalCrystal Relic Master, Knack Master, Speed King and King of Battle.

Also, I gave Knack 2 a shot via it's PSN demo, and while I'm eternally grateful that they added stuff like ability upgrades, blocking and parrying, it was a case of too little, too late for everything else based on what I played/from what I gathered after watching enough YouTube reviews of the full game, so that was that.

When it came to the main game, it was ok, and the collectible stuff I missed had me coming back till I snagged the Emerald Medal trophy. Then once I found out what you need to do to get Diamond Knack, and that he's pretty much required to make Very Hard mode and getting all the five star ranks a breeze, I... pretty much sided with Nipzie and haven't touched it since getting that trophy.

Edited by LGravy
Change of opinion

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Having grabbed it for about $20, I found this to be a pretty OK game... say, 6/10. It was definitely overhyped and I have the impression the developers thought this game was more of a masterpiece than it actually is, but it's a competent, albeit somewhat uninspired platformer that I had a consistently OK time with. Knack growing and gradually evolving over the course of each level is an impressive gimmick, especially to show off what the PS4 can do, but it doesn't amount to more than being a gimmick for the most part.

With the rumors that a Knack 2 might be- just MIGHT be- in the works, I'm confident it CAN become something much more memorable and lovable than Knack 1. The framework was there, after all.

• 2 months later...

Been giving it a go over the past few days on Hard and while it is by no means a terrible game it is certainly not what I would call great. It's more just infuriating that enemies kill you in one or two hits most of the time, are constantly dodging around when they're not attacking, attack in groups and don't separate, use projectiles when you can't and at times track your movements and delay their attacks accordingly. You do eventually get the hang of it (it is an extremely simple game but by far not easy on Hard) but it altogether feels cheap rather than a fair challenge. Coupled with it being extremely linear and with little or no platforming to speak of it's not the best game in the world. However, I am still playing it, so I guess that says something. Aside from some frame rate issues it altogether runs pretty well and I've seen no glitches or crashes.

I think it's probably worth a playthrough and that's about it, especially if you can get it cheap. 

Edited by LunchCannon54
  • Like 3

I think the problem with the ratings system in an inability to see in shades of grey. This has become a bigger problem as of late as every game needs to be a 10 or a 0. Knack has its moments and is defintey fun, but there are moments that are frustrating. For this reason people just dismiss it as garbage and move on. Now I agree there are many much better games but that doesn't mean a game reviewed in the 5-7 range has nothing to offer.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I'm a couple of hours into the game and I don't think it's half as bad people originally said, however I do acknowledge that my opinion comes after having low expectations and paying very little for it.

I think the animation of Knack itself can be hit and miss, and I'm not a fan of the voice, but I think the gameplay is generally sound and the environments look pretty good.

I can see myself going for the plat and it is a game I could possibly recommend but only to someone who's just looking for something fun to spend £5-10 on.

I realise this is a very old thread but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. It's a decent game. Nothing great, but it is nowhere near as bad as reviews make it out to seem. It's functional, it's beautiful to look at and it's actually somewhat strategic and difficult, hence the (suprisingly) rare platinum. Looking back it definitely didn't justify its full price, it should've been like $40/£25 at best but that's the only flaw I can immediately think of. Unfortunately I think Knack suffered big time being a major launch title for the PS4 as for the time the PS4 had an extremely limited library and first impressions are important for a console, so a lot of people had unrealistically high expectations for a simple platformer to stand out from the rest. I've definitely got Knack 2 on my radar, but I wonder if the negative stigma the original left behind will have an impact on the sequels success.

• Like 2