Has a Platinum Trophy ever been retroactively added to a game before?

SimmondsR

The reason my asking is really out of concern for one game, Genshin Impact. It doesn't diminish the game itself but currently, the trophy value attached to Genshin is woefully filled only with Bronze and Silver trophies and the game is easily a 100+ hours affair and I would love for them to add more Trophies and a Platinum to go with it and looking at several other forums many others are requesting the same additions but this isn't really a post about Genshin itself (As I'm sure there are already threads that go into more detail about Genshin specifically)

What I want to know is, has there ever been a game to add a Platinum Trophy after the game has been released?

Additional trophies have been added in the past sure but I personally cannot recollect any game that has added a Platinum Trophy some time after the release of a game.

The closest example I can think of would be Monster Hunter Iceborne but then Capcom treated it as its own separate game with a separate trophy list despite being an expansion (which I loved and I wish more games would follow suit if the type of game allows such a thing)

4 minutes ago, TehUberCheezCatz said:

no game has ever added (or removed, for that matter) a trophy to the base list of a game as far as im aware, only changing what is already there, so no, thats not happening.

Ark: Survival Evolved had this trophy added to the base list after release, which is why it's rarer than the plat: https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/5646-ark-survival-evolved/19-master-zoologist

I think that's the only example of that happening though.

• Like 2

the only games i can think of like this are like the original uncharted that released before trophies were even a thing and then they went back and added trophies and a plat. but recent ones? no spring to mind. i think its actually sony that decides if a games gets a platinum or not (someone correct me if im wrong)

• Like 1

I didn't think so. I used to be a QA Tester so I can only guess that Sony would have to approve the decision and then a whole new set of TRC's would be required to be completed by the developers and then the game would have to be resubmitted which I would imagine it having to be taken off of the Digital Store and replaced and whatnot.

Not to mention the costs of submission just aren't worth it just to add a Platinum Trophy. 

Just wondered if there was an exception somewhere but I guess not.

I suppose they could add a new Trophy List for the PS5 version similar to Final Fantasy XIV.

1 hour ago, Stevieboy said:

Ark: Survival Evolved had this trophy added to the base list after release, which is why it's rarer than the plat: https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/5646-ark-survival-evolved/19-master-zoologist

I think that's the only example of that happening though.

wow, i even played that shit and never noticed that, what the hell

50 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

This thread, it’s the start of something. It’s activism. If enough of us demand it, they’ll change their ways. 

Haha, I admire your enthusiasm but Sony has very rarely ever changed their ways in regards to fan requests, and from what I hear the developers of Genshin Impact are the same.

I suppose in regards to Genshin it's possible that some extra trophies will be released as DLC...maybe...but it looks like the Platinum will be a pipe dream at best.

• Like 1

Devs for games that have had base list additions after the fact have noted that Sony has a pretty high upfront cost for doing that. I remember reading around the time trophies became mandatory for all games that this was to prevent someone from gaming the system, but the more likely reason is the PSN is built by Doozers out of radish-dust.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SimmondsR said:

Well, I'll be damned the devs for Genshin made a new Trophy list of the PS5 version which now includes a Platinum Trophy.

Awesome work miHoYo! :D

It would be awesome if they'd add platinum for PS4 version as well...

2 hours ago, Hymeleon said:

It would be awesome if they'd add platinum for PS4 version as well...

Honestly, I don't think miHoYo has any sway in that regard and I think it's more down to TRC requirements put down by Sony.

I suppose it's very likely that Sony denies the ability to add a Platinum Trophy to an already submitted game but seeing as the PS5 would have to be a new submission they were able to add the Platinum. 

I hear you though, it still doesn't make it any less sucky but if it's any consolation. If you ever get a PS5 in the future it seems that all Trophies transfer over from the PS4 version to the PS5 version so there is that.