Additional Sony Censorship?

thefourfoldroot

I understand that, obviously, consoles won’t be getting the adult patch that PC does, but I’m wondering whether Sony are censoring this game above and beyond what Nintendo do on the Switch. If I was to get a console version it would obviously be the least censored version.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

It was being able to touch the girls in the dressing room that was removed, no other content was altered not even the stripping.

I see. Well, that may not be much censorship, but it's censorship nonetheless. When things like this change, the changes tend to be gradual.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2021 at 7:52 PM, AihaLoveleaf said:

Now that's interesting. I always figured Sony was just censoring anime-style games because "anime tiddies" while allowing "artful nudity" from the usual Western AAA titles. Didn't know it was Japan in particular being targeted. I guess that means I can buy Talia and Sakura at some point. Still not pleased with the overall situation of course. 

Not a huge anime guy myself, but there was even that whole situation around Devil May Cry 5 like a year or 2 ago. Almost like these games have age ratings or something, but that never seems to matter when it comes to censorship.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YROSHIKU said:

I think that with Soyny going full Woke they don't care anymore about rating boards. If it's a game from Japan, it just needs to be censored, even when there's nothing to censor, but hey if it's a game from anywhere else, and even have a sex scene (cough, cough The Last of Us Part II), it's okay, because it's "artsy fartsy" and it's "symbolic" or something.

Last of Us 2 got it's sex scene censored in japan though.

Where are people even getting this anti-japanese angle from? The changes from playstation are because Sony of Japan are co-mingling the different branches of companies, it's the CEO of Sony who instituted many of these new policies. They're not anti-japanese, the main japanese branch of Sony itself are more involved with Playstation than they've ever been before, this is due to them doing that big media roll out with TV shows based on Playstation games. They're also wanting anime to be tied with playstation since they share a similar audience. The Demon Slayer movie made a boatload of money for example so they've been capitalizing on that IP currently and want to bring everything westward.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

1 hour ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Last of Us 2 got it's sex scene censored in japan though.

Where are people even getting this anti-japanese angle from? The changes from playstation are because Sony of Japan are co-mingling the different branches of companies, it's the CEO of Sony who instituted many of these new policies. They're not anti-japanese, the main japanese branch of Sony itself are more involved with Playstation than they've ever been before, this is due to them doing that big media roll out with TV shows based on Playstation games. They're also wanting anime to be tied with playstation since they share a similar audience. The Demon Slayer movie made a boatload of money for example so they've been capitalizing on that IP currently and want to bring everything westward.

I’m not sure that Japanese games are the only ones being censored, but I’m sure the censorship team (Sony wouldn’t call them that, but that’s what they are) focus most on Japanese devs, because that’s where the majority of salacious content comes from, and might miss content elsewhere. Also, they are undoubtedly more lenient on big budget games (which just tend to be more western) so I understand where this impression comes from.

Also, because there is a clear lack of respect when dealing with the Japanese devs; such as changing to require all documentation to be in English, all calls and video meetings to takes place well outside of Japanese business hours, etc. This is likely just a result of moving from the better regional system to the cheaper global system, but again, it leaves the impression they don’t care about Japanese devs. 
Even something as small as changing the button inputs in the Japanese market to the western standard contributes to this impression.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

1 hour ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I’m not sure that Japanese games are the only ones being censored, but I’m sure the censorship team (Sony wouldn’t call them that, but that’s what they are) focus most on Japanese devs, because that’s where the majority of salacious content comes from, and might miss content elsewhere. Also, they are undoubtedly more lenient on big budget games (which just tend to be more western) so I understand where this impression comes from.

Also, because there is a clear lack of respect when dealing with the Japanese devs; such as changing to require all documentation to be in English, all calls and video meetings to takes place well outside of Japanese business hours, etc. This is likely just a result of moving from the better regional system to the cheaper global system, but again, it leaves the impression they don’t care about Japanese devs. 
Even something as small as changing the button inputs in the Japanese market to the western standard contributes to this impression.

Didn't they standardize the button sequences so that they would match other systems like The Switch and Xbox? I mean the switch is already popular in Japan that just means you're pressing the same button in the same location on playstation as you are on the switch so you don't accidently muscle memory the wrong one.

That just sounds like normal standardization practices. I really can't see that as a sleight. I mean all you're describing sounds fairly normal and routine, especially if you're familiar with how anime is localized.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

3 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Didn't they standardize the button sequences so that they would match other systems like The Switch and Xbox? I mean the switch is already popular in Japan that just means you're pressing the same button in the same location on playstation as you are on the switch so you don't accidently muscle memory the wrong one.

That just sounds like normal standardization practices. I really can't see that as a sleight. I mean all you're describing sounds fairly normal and routine, especially if you're familiar with how anime is localized.

No, On switch it is right button for accept, bottom for cancel (even in the western market) as it has been on PlayStation in Japan until the change to the western standard recently.

And, yes, I was deliberately downplaying the imagined slights as I do not agree with that interpretation, but I was explaining the reasons others get that impression.

On 22.4.2021 at 1:52 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

I understand that, obviously, consoles won’t be getting the adult patch that PC does, but I’m wondering whether Sony are censoring this game above and beyond what Nintendo do on the Switch. If I was to get a console version it would obviously be the least censored version.

The modern Sony is American, so every square centimeter of angry skin is patched out and lots of weapons, blood, senseless violence and curses are patched in.