Returnal and the DualSense

matigrosso91

I hear from a colleague, very reliable guy, that Returnal does some crazy magic with the DualSense. I mean, the haptic feedback, the adaptive triggers, the sounds and so on. He said it's almost at Astro's Playroom's level.

I don't know if you'll agreed, but knowing that gave me a lot of more hype for the game. The DualSense at full potential it's a serious stuff. I hope this means that all Sony's first-party games will have this support. 

Perhaps the people who's already playing it can give more details about the experience?

• Like 2

tbh i hate the dualsense and all the fartassery with haptics etc, I played astro with them off. i mean it's a nice controller and the analogue height is perfect for 60 fps game speed. they really know their shit something which ms fails at even with their 200 quid elite controllers.

but im definitely waiting for this game till I know for sure about the controls, if you can properly customise them. i don't wanna be half pressing ads constantly incase i accidentally fire the alt fire shot, and i really don't want to be taking my thumb off the analogue stick just to dodge as you have to correct yourself beforehand constantly incase you dodge into a wall like a tw@.

other then that though, it looks good and i'll get it as soon as i find out, every once in a while you'll come accross an enemy that will 100% punish mistimed dodges, and their tendrils flair up all horny-like just before they attack to let you know their coming and that they want you.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 1

I don’t really care for adaptive triggers at all. I have turned off the adaptive triggers completely. Hopefully this game won’t force you to use it. Adaptive triggers just made my fingers hurt after a few hours.

Haptic feedback I enjoyed quite a bit. The controller speaker is utter dogshit on the Dual Sense, even if I put it up to my ear I can’t hear shit. So none of this is a selling point for me. I’m hyped for the game as it is without all the mumbo jumbo stuff. 

Edited by Quink666

I think it straddles the line between gimmick and actual innovation.

While I'd never use them in FPS games, perhaps even shooters in general - adventure/exploration/racing games have a place for such a mechanic and I'm looking forward to how it evolves in the years to come. Then again, maybe a shooter will implement them in a way even us (I myself also always turned off vibration and found the sixaxis movement commands bullsh*t) accept it as a way to or addition when playing.

But as a general rule for now shooters and anything beside quick and easy R2/L2 with no extra bs is the norm.

As for Returnal we'll know hands on Friday :)

• Like 2

On 2021-04-25 at 11:13 AM, Quink666 said:

The controller speaker is utter dogshit on the Dual Sense, even if I put it up to my ear I can’t hear shit.

Assuming your hearing is fine, something is *very* wrong with your DualSense. Might wanna contact Sony for a replacement if that’s what is happening, or make sure the controller speaker volume is turned up in the settings, because that is 100% not the normal speaker experience on the DualSense, which is actually quite amazing for a controller speaker.

Edited by willjwood
  • Like 1

After playing the game for 3 hours with headphones (3D audio) and the haptic feedback I can honestly say this is the kind of immersion I can't wait to experience more in single player games.

The Dual Sense makes you feel all kinds of environmental ques as well as gameplay ques and I have got to admit...I want more of this! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blitz-tek said:

After playing the game for 3 hours with headphones (3D audio) and the haptic feedback I can honestly say this is the kind of immersion I can't wait to experience more in single player games.

The Dual Sense makes you feel all kinds of environmental ques as well as gameplay ques and I have got to admit...I want more of this! 

coudn't agree more!

• Like 1

On 29/04/2021 at 8:30 PM, Blitz-tek said:

Same here. The whole thing together creates an incredibly cool experience. Love how you pull the L2 halfway to aim and the full press for the alt-fire

• Like 2