Are the collection missions important?

Like the title says are they important cause I'm going through all the assignments I can before going through the main story stuff(I did get liara first thing though) and I'm getting the collection stuff from planets I already have to visit for the missions (dunno if im missing any mining stuff they only show up on the minimap if I'm close so I dunno)   to clarify I mean like the emblems and such and the minerals

Edited by Taliesin_2943

They aren't too important as far as the story and finishing the game goes. Trophy-wise, I think they can help with the completionist trophy, but aren't 100% necessary because you just have to complete a "majority" of the game. Make a special save before you go to Ilos and you should be able to reload and finish more quests if you didn't unlock completionist the first time through the game. 

Having the collect minerals, insignia and writings missions done on an imported ME1 savegame for ME2 will grant you some nice credits at the beginning of ME2.

Also just don't miss the chance to really explore something in ME1. You will not have real exploration feeling in the other ME Trilogy games.

Also, there are maps of each planet available on the wiki:

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Milky_Way >> Click on the systems name for information which planet has resources AND planets written in bolt letters are planets where you actually can land on and where a map is provided.

Edited by Geridian
  • Like 2

Just to add, it helps tremendously to have it completed for ME2. You get a really healthy supply of starting minerals of you have it completed from the first game. "Tremendously" may be exaggeration but it definitely saves you a lot of time scanning planets in ME2, especially when it comes to Eezo scanning which is rare for the first 3/4 of the second game.

• Like 1

I have been googling "insert planet name" map and just going to images. You'll find images of maps with everything revealed which will cut down on wasted time driving around in the Mako and its horrible controls. 

I am trying to get to level 30 in one playthrough so I am collecting everything even after completing the collection quest associated with the item be it elements, writings, medallions,  etc. Currently rocking 9,999,999 credits and am just waiting for that spectre gear. 

Edited by da-Noob123
  • Like 1