Password Reset... Oh my god what a nightmare!

Lady-Laura-Lee

Well, I was one of the unlucky ones hit by Sony's password reset on OMG what a nightmare. 3 calls and still not resolved after 4 hrs. Really Sony drops the ball once again. Keep in mind that one of the reasons I was given for the reset besides security was to help clear  out non active accounts. REALLLLLY??? Well you would THINK that with all  smarts in the company that SOMEONE would figure out a filter program that would have EXCLUDED accounts from the brand new and not even a month old PS4 system from the list..but Nope. here is a brief look into my day.

1) PS Vita doesn't allow me to sign in while running errands. Leaving this girl confused.

2) Attempt to sign on to ps4. Have to to birthday reset. Sends it to my email which I haven't usedsince I created the account. Email fails to recognize password or answer to security question.

3) Call up Psn hotline. While on hold message says to go to website for quicker help. Hag up phone after 15 minutes.

4) Go to website. Only to discover due to large amount of calls, the have disabled the link.

5) Call again, get live person after 45 minutes. durring reset process, their computer system crashes. Will be another 30 minutes before back onine, please call back then. hang up phone.

6) 10 minutes later being the smart girl I am, call them back. 25 minutes later am speaking to live person. Create new emal account while on phone to them and is linked to the account. Told allhave to due is pasword reset with new email. hang up phone.

7) Atempt to do reset. Will not log into server.

8) Call again. 40 minutes later speaking to live rep. Ooooopsy...servers down for maintance..WTF???? Oh and by the way Laura, because of all the reset attempts we've done, the system has initiated a 24 hr lock down so youwon't be getting your reset email for 24hrs..... Now if you want you could create a new......

A THIS point this girl lost it. My red hair temper shined thru as I shot the poor sap both barrels...

A) I just bought a Ps+ membership, spent 50 dollars in the ps store for ps4, and 60 dollarz for Vita all under this Id, all items u have stated you COULDN' T transfer to a new accoun't transfer over...why the HE// then woud I want to change.

B) It wasn't bad enough the servers couldnt handle day 1? You chose to do the reset without giving us advance notice.

C) This is how you reward the loyal customers that purchased P4, with constant aggravation.

D) What IDIOT decided  to schedule maintance the same day as ps+ relese And password reset??

E) Why did I and thousands of others spend hundreds of dollars for something tha spends more time off psn netork then on??? This makes the hacking of years ago look lame in comparision. at lest that was caused by outsidd forces.

I then appligized to the gent who bythis time was stammering. I expained that while I havd been a loyal customed for years, I was dissapionted. The faith they had rebuilt in me durring E3, was quickly dissapearing. I stated that he needed to let his supervisors know that this customer felt they had dropped the ball. No notice , bad timing and the inconvience of it allwas a slap in the face to myself, but every ps+ or ps4  owner affected by the reset. Hopefully Sony will do something to make it right, becaused based upon hold times and the noise in the background thsy have many unhappy customers at the moment. As for me, well Tommorow when I get off work I wil try again. Hopefully I can log on. If not, I may just take my system, my reciept and get my mony back because I sure as heck didnt spend 1000 dollars this month for a  paperweight. God, what a nightmare.

Can't. Account on freezs for 24hrs. Their system security and having to do with numerious attempts. The reset email won't be allowdx by their systsem to go out for 24hrs no matter what I do. :(

Just happened to me today. Played Black flag just fine last night and then today they did it. May have been region based. 

Sorry about spelling errors. Been a long day and very tired. Plus typing on a Vita doesn't help.

There's more to this than meets the eye. My PSN accounts have been completely unaffected which may or may not be because I use secure passwords. Or it may be because I haven't signed in on a PS4 yet. That said, it's more likely this issue is completely unrelated to individual user-level accounts and something a bit more damaging has happened at Sony.

I suspect one of a couple of things has happened -

1. Changes were made to the PSN to accommodate the PS4. The spike in traffic from a million new units sent the system into meltdown, which is a distinct possibility.This may have led to a chunk of the PSN user database corrupting and they had to perform a partial restore, which initiated the password reset. I reckon this is what has happened, but Sony can't fess up to it because it makes them look incompetent.

2. As part of the PS4 rollout, the PSN security team performed a sweep of commonly hacked passwords and Sony initiated a password reset on relatively insecure accounts. Unlikely given the passwords *should* be encrypted and not even Sony knows what they are, but that's the spin I'd put on this fuck up....blame the user!

Pure speculation, but whatever occurred has happened on a large enough scale to inconvenience potentially millions of users which to me implies some catastrophic server-side failure and quite probably, has to do with the PS4 login process failing at some point. So have no doubt that heads are being kicked and jobs have been lost while Sony tries to clean up this support nightmare.

In the interim I'd suggest a little bit of patience and when creating a PSN id, use a functional email address and your real date of birth to make account recovery as easy as possible. If you can't remember your email and birthdate, you've got bigger problems than logging into the PSN and no-one else to blame if and when the shit hits the fan.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

There's more to this than meets the eye. My PSN accounts have been completely unaffected which may or may not be because I use secure passwords. Or it may be because I haven't signed in on a PS4 yet. That said, it's more likely this issue is completely unrelated to individual user-level accounts and something a bit more damaging has happened at Sony.

I suspect one of a couple of things has happened -

1. Changes were made to the PSN to accommodate the PS4. The spike in traffic from a million new units sent the system into meltdown, which is a distinct possibility.This may have led to a chunk of the PSN user database corrupting and they had to perform a partial restore, which initiated the password reset. I reckon this is what has happened, but Sony can't fess up to it because it makes them look incompetent.

2. As part of the PS4 rollout, the PSN security team performed a sweep of commonly hacked passwords and Sony initiated a password reset on relatively insecure accounts. Unlikely given the passwords *should* be encrypted and not even Sony knows what they are, but that's the spin I'd put on this fuck up....blame the user!

Pure speculation, but whatever occurred has happened on a large enough scale to inconvenience potentially millions of users which to me implies some catastrophic server-side failure. So have no doubt that heads are being kicked and jobs have been lost while Sony tries to clean up this support nightmare.

In the interim I'd suggest a little bit of patience and when creating a PSN id and to use a functional email address and your real date of birth to make account recovery as easy as possible.

Right on the dot on this one, for me, I have been using my real details for my account since I just got a PS3/Vita this year. I doubt anyone has hacked Sony or they would have their whole server down to keep it secure again and tell everyone to change their passwords. Because this isn't happening to everyone, it might also be that the users of those accounts have constant logins at different ip addresses here and there (probably getting dynamic ip addresses) and therefore can make them think its "insecure" and hence the forced password resets.

I hadn't been affected by this yet and I have no clue if I would be affected by this. Only time will tell for the rest of us.

Edited by GetMitched

You not being able to access your email isn't in any way Sony's fault, it's yours. You should have changed your account email when you switched. I'm just going to post the same thing I posted when the resets became known. For those that really think this is a huge deal.

People may think this is annoying, but it's a good thing that Sony is being vigilant about possible hacks. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a little extra security. I've been hacked before, once on my XBL account and once on my PSN account, and it's not a fun experience having hundreds of dollars disappear from my bank account and then having to deal with customer service and wait a week to get it back. What's worse, is that on my PSN account, I now have trophy sets for games I've never played, and they're dragging my average completion down. So, it may take a few minutes to reset a password, but it's better than the alternative.

• Like 1

Although I can see why it's annoying - a majority of people with bigger issues just haven't been keeping their data up to scratch. There is a reason they ask you for your e-mail address, it isn't only to send spam. And of course the support side is locked up, because lots of people haven't been keeping their system up to date.

You can't really go around calling Sony incompetant when you have shown no signs of competance yourself. Well you can, it's your right as a customer, but it's also their right to not be too bothered, because, at the end of the day, it's your fault

wow.. I think I got lucky... this what happened to me yesterday:

1. Open my Vita and do a connection test. In PSN portion it says failed because I am not logged in.

2. Went to setting to sign in PSN. Put my passwords and it says my password is incorrect. Tried again thinking I just put a wrong password... It still says it's incorrect. My heart is beating so fast at that moment remembering posts regarding user being hacked, e-mails being attempted to log in by others...

3. Went to PSNProfiles to checked if someone experience the same thing... saw a link in status by Helena Harper: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/INFO-Password-not-working-today-READ-THIS-FIRST/td-p/42275773/jump-to/first-unread-message.

4. Returned to my Vita and clicked Forgot Password. Received an e-mail with a link to change my password... 

5. Put my old password as new password... It says it's successful. 

6. Tried to Sign in PSN using Vita.... Success... 

7. Played and browse as if nothing happens  B)

Going to call Sony tomorrow just in case. I had received the email saying my account was reset, but I have been able to log in on my Vita and access my account online. I changed the password twice, too (via Account Management on the Sony site). I'm still able to access online, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edit: Just got done resetting my password; it's completely new and I believe this should have resolved all my issues. The man on the other line was very helpful and patient; was on hold for only fifteen minutes.

Edited by iMilkCarton