How PSN sales work?

YonahFuriae

Like, is it the publishers/developers who chose them, or is it Sony? I was waiting for 'Sense — A Cyberpunk Ghost Story' to be on sale, and just today I've noticed it has a sale on Switch for 11.99€. I thought maybe after this PSN sale ends they'll do the same, but then I checked and it was not the first sale for this title on Switch, but the third one, while on PSN it had 0 since it released. I just want it on PSN for the added fun of trophies, otherwise I'd get it for Switch, but if they don't make a sale I won't care about trophies.

Also, when I got some Senran Kagura games on the previous PSN sales, I've noticed the DLCs never went on sale, at least on Spain, as if this was some kind of rule, as it happens with more games, like they don't care or know DLCs exist. While on Steam the same DLCs have periodic sales.

So yeah, I was wondering how the sales work on PSN.

You have to be invited by Sony, before being able to take part in a sale, then it's up to the Developer/Publisher to decide what will be on sale and for how much. Unfortunately, some items are destined to never go on sale for whatever reason so don't get discounted.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

Publishers can also submit to have their own titles marked down independently of a Sony-coordinated "Sale". So Sony decides "Sales", but publishers can request to put their titles "on sale."

You should probably just reach out to the developer on Twitter or through email and ask if they intend to put their PS title on sale in the future.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the promotional events (e.g. Days of Play, Big in Japan) can have their own promotional rates for the publishers (the cut Sony take from the sale). 

For example: If you buy a full price Square Enix game today Sony keep 30% of your money. If Sony invite Square Enix to a promotional event Sony’s cut on the same game sold in that promotional sale could be as low as 0% (Sony’s cut could even shift depending on the level of discount the publisher applies).

I suspect smaller publishers/indie developers don’t get offered these rates as often/at all.

The game you’re looking at may be on sale in Nintendo’s eShop because Nintendo offered to take a lower cut or just feature the game on the main page of the store if they discounted it for a period (increased exposure/free advertising for the game basically) whereas Sony haven’t.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

^^Exactly this. Sure seems like it.

It's a conspiracy I tell you!

It always seems to happen when I buy a game or the DLC at full price. Ironically enough, the only times I ever buy the DLC at full price nowadays is the PS3 and they stopped doing sales after they stopped adding PS3 content to the PS Plus Monthly free games.

• Like 1

Yay! It got a sale, together with games I was expecting even more than that one for a long time, Momodora, Cofee Talk, Minoria and Maitetsu that I already buy back in the day for PC but wanted to have it on PSN, love this sale~

• Like 1

There are other games like this. To this day, the PlayStation version of Elliot Quest has never been on sale. A year ago I saw a thread mentioning that the Switch version was on sale for 9 cents. Yet there are quite a few small/unknown games that do go on sale. So it most likely isn't a straightforward process.