Good "souls like" games

BloddyNocturne

@BloddyNocturne - something worth considering, if you feel like you are starting to get to the end of the available Souls-likes that appeal, would be maybe trying exploring the 'sister-genre' Rogue-likes?

I noticed you don't have any on your list - as a fellow Souls-enthusiast and amateur Sun-Praiser, I found the souls games were a very natural progression towards finding a hell of a lot of fun in that genre too!

Maybe something like Dead Cells or Curse of the Dead Gods etc. might be able to kindle the same flame inside you that the Souls games have?

6 hours ago, BloddyNocturne said:

So i have played all souls games in ps4 (looking forward to Demon souls remastered in ps4) and i am in need for some soulslike i have played some like Nioh, Code vein, Salt and Sanctuary and i like them a lot, i also played some that i did not enjoyed much like Fallen order and Mortal shell.

So im asking recommendations in games souls like games since im running a little short, also since Lords of the Fallen is in offer i was planning to check that out.

So, pleased to hear your recommendations.

Only saw the big games mentioned. You should have also a look on the following smaller games like Salt and Santuary:

Titan Souls: only Boss Fights were you get killed with one hit but also the Boss will be killed with one hit if you hit him at his weak point.

Morbid: The seven Acolytes: Newer souls like which i did enjoy.

Blasphemous: like Salt and santuary a 2d souls like which is really challenging but also good in the Level Design 

Hope this helps out

8 hours ago, Inuty said:

Only saw the big games mentioned. You should have also a look on the following smaller games like Salt and Santuary:

Titan Souls: only Boss Fights were you get killed with one hit but also the Boss will be killed with one hit if you hit him at his weak point.

Morbid: The seven Acolytes: Newer souls like which i did enjoy.

Blasphemous: like Salt and santuary a 2d souls like which is really challenging but also good in the Level Design 

Hope this helps out

Salt and sanctuary is said in the post, oh and i played blasphemous.

Ill be checking the others

HK, S&S, Blasphemous and even Star Wars Jedi Fällen Order are more a Metroidvania with 'souls-like' elements and can recommend them.

Getting the Plat for Surge 2 was also for me a pain, because i didnt like the Block/counter mechanics, the colorful world and some bosses had designs. The Surge 1 was the the better game imho.

16 hours ago, BloddyNocturne said:

So i have played all souls games in ps4 (looking forward to Demon souls remastered in ps4) and i am in need for some soulslike i have played some like Nioh, Code vein, Salt and Sanctuary and i like them a lot, i also played some that i did not enjoyed much like Fallen order and Mortal shell.

So im asking recommendations in games souls like games since im running a little short, also since Lords of the Fallen is in offer i was planning to check that out.

So, pleased to hear your recommendations.

try out mortal shell

36 minutes ago, SkyFight0r said:

HK, S&S, Blasphemous and even Star Wars Jedi Fällen Order are more a Metroidvania with 'souls-like' elements and can recommend them.

Getting the Plat for Surge 2 was also for me a pain, because i didnt like the Block/counter mechanics, the colorful world and some bosses had designs. The Surge 1 was the the better game imho.

Besides The surge 1 and 2 i played them all

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@BloddyNocturne - something worth considering, if you feel like you are starting to get to the end of the available Souls-likes that appeal, would be maybe trying exploring the 'sister-genre' Rogue-likes?

I noticed you don't have any on your list - as a fellow Souls-enthusiast and amateur Sun-Praiser, I found the souls games were a very natural progression towards finding a hell of a lot of fun in that genre too!

Maybe something like Dead Cells or Curse of the Dead Gods etc. might be able to kindle the same flame inside you that the Souls games have?

I been meaning to play them i heard they are pretty good, but i heard COTDD was a little buggy and that dead cells corrupts files so i really havent been looking out for them, i also heard they are getting a crossover so i will check them out, THANK YOU

I enjoyed Darksiders 3. It had a rough launch but after a few patches it worked fine on base ps4. It's also my entry into the series and ended up impressing me. Animations are fluid, graceful, yet also impactful. Most enemies can be stunlocked or staggered with the right attack; their hyper armor won't kick in too often or unexpectedly.  It had a mix of contemporary and post apocalyptic fantasy. I quite enjoyed explored this world, fighting its hellish denizens, and finding the loot to upgrade Fury. Weapons are unlocked as you progress the story and will also open up new paths (ex Lightning will allow you to float). Music is decent and carrys similar cadence to other Darksiders. Boss fights all have proper flow to them, which encouraged me to stay sharp and learn most of their moveset. I haven't played the dlc, may give those a try if I manage to get a ps5, as I heard they've optimization problems.

Another game I'd recommend isn't exactly souls-like. The world and the way in which you unlock and explore it, borrows from Dark Souls, I felt. It's set in a abstract version of purgatory and hell. So if you love exploration as much, if not more than combat, then you might want to give it a go. There are several accessibility options in the menu if you want to tune the gameplay (such as turning off enemies). As for the core gameplay, it's a 1st person pac-man game with teleportation that works somewhat like the Blink from Dishonored. As you progress you'll unlock more glyphs on your hand, giving you more options to cross the world. Each area is like a platforming puzzle/maze, as you have to combine powers and the environment to progress. Story is told through text but the world looks beautiful in an unearthly way. At least watch a bit of gameplay before turning this down, you might be quite surprised, just as I was.

Someone else mentioned Hellpoint but I haven't tried it yet. I did see some gameplay and it has piqued my interest. It seems to be a fusion of fantasy and sci-fi, and the gameplay is similar to Dark Souls. Check out some endgame footage.

5 minutes ago, ZealousZealot said:

I enjoyed Darksiders 3. It had a rough launch but after a few patches it worked fine on base ps4. It's also my entry into the series and ended up impressing me. Animations are fluid, graceful, yet also impactful. Most enemies can be stunlocked or staggered with the right attack; their hyper armor won't kick in too often or unexpectedly.  It had a mix of contemporary and post apocalyptic fantasy. I quite enjoyed explored this world, fighting its hellish denizens, and finding the loot to upgrade Fury. Weapons are unlocked as you progress the story and will also open up new paths (ex Lightning will allow you to float). Music is decent and carrys similar cadence to other Darksiders. Boss fights all have proper flow to them, which encouraged me to stay sharp and learn most of their moveset. I haven't played the dlc, may give those a try if I manage to get a ps5, as I heard they've optimization problems.

Another game I'd recommend isn't exactly souls-like. The world and the way in which you unlock and explore it, borrows from Dark Souls, I felt. It's set in a abstract version of purgatory and hell. So if you love exploration as much, if not more than combat, then you might want to give it a go. There are several accessibility options in the menu if you want to tune the gameplay (such as turning off enemies). As for the core gameplay, it's a 1st person pac-man game with teleportation that works somewhat like the Blink from Dishonored. As you progress you'll unlock more glyphs on your hand, giving you more options to cross the world. Each area is like a platforming puzzle/maze, as you have to combine powers and the environment to progress. Story is told through text but the world looks beautiful in an unearthly way. At least watch a bit of gameplay before turning this down, you might be quite surprised, just as I was.

Someone else mentioned Hellpoint but I haven't tried it yet. I did see some gameplay and it has piqued my interest. It seems to be a fusion of fantasy and sci-fi, and the gameplay is similar to Dark Souls. Check out some endgame footage.

And what is the name of the second game? :D

20 hours ago, Helyx said:

Uh oh, opposing opinions. Guess I'll have to push The Surge 2 up my queue and see for myself.

It is annoying due to the blocking they added into the game as it feels to me that you have to learn this blocking and if you do lean it you can pretty much turn the game into nothing but a pile as it is too easy from that point on but for me I didn't like the blocking as it felt too janky however the games faster with the combat with the weapons as 1 it felt slow with everything  unless your using twin rigs. plus the plot sucks for this game and the dialogs you can pick feel cringy. I might come off nit picking but it is annoying to me as the first game was fun but had some flaws and the dlcs at least the first one is good the second is just boring and bad if you ask me.

Edited by Lonemankane
  • Like 1