Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

On 19/10/2021 at 10:59 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Hundo #5: Max Payne

1461158937-payne.jpg?resize=480:*

I'm a bit late on this one - so I gave it another read, enjoyed it just as much the second time!

Fantastic review man - it's a hell of a game Max Payne.....

.........I'm a bit gutted they  haven't gotten around to putting Max Payne 2 out on PS4 yet, and I doubt they will either...... Not only is it my favourite Max Payne game, it is also one of my favourite games ever too.

The story is told with a stunning mish mash of Hong Kong action, classic film noir dialogue, and graphic novel presentation. Like The Killer and The Big Sleep got in a fight and Frank Miller broke it up.

Man that's a hell of a good description - like, startlingly accurate too.

I'm dreading those blood-trail sequences myself - whenever I get around to this one - I always found them so easy to just screw up or get lost during.

Granted, a lot of the faces Sam Lake's titular protagonist makes are goofy as hell, but that's part of the charm

The voice acting is stellar, and must be said that as much as Davids Hayter and Bateson are Solid Snake and Agent 47 respectively, James McCaffrey is Max Payne. He just breathes so much life into a character that could've easily been a stereotypical "gritty detective,"

Well - I mean, Sam Lake/Jarvi's face and Max's face are the same thing...... So I guess Sam's just a goofy looking fella, one of my friends always described what Max looks like as a cat that's been caught in the middle of doing his business...?

I don't know if you've seen this before (it's quite short anyway) but it's a nice little reunion, albeit a remote one between Lake and Mcaffrey, and it is spooky to see how much Sam Lake, still looks like Max even after all these years.... I love how much this whole franchise clearly means to both of them..... Sam Lake is one of my favourite writers to ever put pen to paper in video game form....

Thanks for this fantastic review man! it's always great to get a reminder like that of why exactly you loved a game series like Max Payne in the first place.

On 27/10/2021 at 8:00 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #36: Rocket League

Here in my car, I feel safest of all

rocket-league-full-cross-platform-suppor

I also really enjoyed reading this one, especially as I've virtually played no Rocket League at all, so it was a big learning experience  - in a way it made me a little less hesitant about playing it myself in the future.

Especially as I very much had the same initial experience as you.... I played it at a friends house, and was like "what is this.... I'm supposed to hit the ball in the goal but I keep jumping right past it.".... I just found it interminably frustrating..... This was like years and years back, when it was first given away as a PS+ title.

It's nice to see that eventually it grew into something you really enjoyed playing.

I'm curious to see what you make of The Warriors game, which I assume you're going to get around to reviewing at some point down the line.

Keep killing it man!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm a bit late on this one - so I gave it another read, enjoyed it just as much the second time!

Fantastic review man - it's a hell of a game Max Payne.....

.........I'm a bit gutted they  haven't gotten around to putting Max Payne 2 out on PS4 yet, and I doubt they will either...... Not only is it my favourite Max Payne game, it is also one of my favourite games ever too.

Thanks, buddy!

It really is! It's such a great concept and executed so well. I'm also really bummed about MP2 being left out - I agree, it's my favorite as well. I wonder if there's some technical reason they can't port it, surely it would make them some money!

I'm dreading those blood-trail sequences myself - whenever I get around to this one - I always found them so easy to just screw up or get lost during.

Well - I mean, Sam Lake/Jarvi's face and Max's face are the same thing...... So I guess Sam's just a goofy looking fella, one of my friends always described what Max looks like as a cat that's been caught in the middle of doing his business...?

I assume I was making faces like Sam Lake while I braved those blood trail sequences the first time!

Aw man, those are horrible. It's a real shame because the sequence is brilliant, but that section is so needlessly tricky.

That's great? now I'm picturing a cat bein like "They came in at the worst possible time... I covered it with sand and slinked off into the night."

I don't know if you've seen this before (it's quite short anyway) but it's a nice little reunion, albeit a remote one between Lake and Mcaffrey, and it is spooky to see how much Sam Lake, still looks like Max even after all these years.... I love how much this whole franchise clearly means to both of them..... Sam Lake is one of my favourite writers to ever put pen to paper in video game form....

Thanks for this fantastic review man! it's always great to get a reminder like that of why exactly you loved a game series like Max Payne in the first place.

Thanks for that! This video has popped up in my recommended videos a few times, but I've never watched it - I'm glad I have now, it's great! You're right, he looks eerily similar, he's aged very well!

I also really enjoyed reading this one, especially as I've virtually played no Rocket League at all, so it was a big learning experience  - in a way it made me a little less hesitant about playing it myself in the future.

Especially as I very much had the same initial experience as you.... I played it at a friends house, and was like "what is this.... I'm supposed to hit the ball in the goal but I keep jumping right past it.".... I just found it interminably frustrating..... This was like years and years back, when it was first given away as a PS+ title.

It's nice to see that eventually it grew into something you really enjoyed playing.

Thanks dude! Yes, it can be super frustrating - the physics are excellent, but as a result so precise that if you don't hit the ball just so it can go flying pretty much anywhere (that you don't want it to go). Once you start getting a feel for it though, it can be pretty addicting!

I'm curious to see what you make of The Warriors game, which I assume you're going to get around to reviewing at some point down the line.

Keep killing it man!

After Vice City, I decided to start going through the Rock Star games I've completed, so The Warriors is absolutely in the pipeline!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I had roughly 23% overall completion, easily over 1000 unearned trophies, six platinums, and I was level 195 or so.

Now, my stats are as follows (excluding today, as it is now November):

79.58% overall completion

551 unearned trophies

3.11 trophies per day

38 platinums

Level 306

Dude this is huge. Big ups for you. ?

Sounds like you're like me and occasionally enjoy the difference in the numbers sometimes more than the actual gaming. ?....      ?

15 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Gaming Hitlist

Hitman - it's damn near did at this point, I've pretty much got Marrakesh left.

Hotline Miami - just in the process of A+ing everything, about a third of the way through and I gotta say, absolutely loving it.

The Witness - The Town, Endgame and *shudder* The Challenge. Quite nervous about this one, as puzzle games are definitely NOT something I excel at, but it's been a great experience. I've never had so much fun being intellectually bullied1f602.png

Yakuza 0 - was off to a great start with this one, need to get back to it.

Final Fantasy IX - if there was one trophy I could get that would alone make November a success, I think it would be Hail to the King.

I need to get the hang of the Arkham Asylum combat challenges, get back to UFC 3 at some point, and of course the other games I entered the Fall challenge with, but for now I do believe the fellas mentioned above have top priority.

Thanks for reading, and wish me luck1f62c.png November ho!

Keen to know what else is on the hitlist after these games with the higher priorities. No rush though, but interested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Dude this is huge. Big ups for you. 1f44a.png

Sounds like you're like me and occasionally enjoy the difference in the numbers sometimes more than the actual gaming. 1f602.png....      1f643.png

Keen to know what else is on the hitlist after these games with the higher priorities. No rush though, but interested.

Thanks man!

And you are not wrong. I find myself browsing my own profile more than I'd care to admit, looking at the percentages and thinking about what I can do to raise certain numbers. Very smellin-your-own-farts stuff! Ay, this website has corrupted us?????????

Wow, I appreciate hearing that. I'm trying to keep a limit on upcoming games out of fear of putting peeps to sleep! Methinks when I do this next month I'll try to lay out my goals a bit more in depth - this time I more felt the need to catch up on the progress (and yes, self-fellate a tad), I think think next one will be more structured.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heather342 said:

*subtlety influencing your next game choices*

Hitman 2......Hitman 3.....1f601.png

And if you need help on the multiplayer sniper trophies in 2 I'm happy to help out 1f44d.png

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!

Also since I started this Checklist and got back into Hitman, I'm extremely tempted to steal your idea of making Hitman 3 platinum #47?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!

Also since I started this Checklist and got back into Hitman, I'm extremely tempted to steal your idea of making Hitman 3 platinum #471f60f.png

Oh yeah, you should do it! ?

I mean, I know it doesn't show up on a milestone or anything, but I'll always know it was my #47, the trophy icon is 47, the description is 'Complete all 47 trophies'. It was super satisfying for my absolute nerdiness ?

• Like 1

On 04/11/2021 at 0:39 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #21: Manhunt

"I always feel like somebody's watchin' me..."

mqdefault.jpg

That was a killer review man - yes pun intended this time ?

......... Seriously though - that was excellent, it was nice to read about the game with much more detail than most people give it outside of being a "MURDER SIMULATOR!" Yes, you should always shout those words whenever you think of them! ?

Better late than never right?

Seriously though, apologies for the lateness. I haven't wanted to even look at a keyboard the last few days after that seriously long NieR review I wrote........

.......... Which is actually one of the first times in a long time I'm actually satisfied with a review I've written and don't have too many hang ups about it after the fact. So I guess that is a positive. I also forgot to reply to you in my own thread, and a few others too, so I'll make a point of doing that later on. Otherwise I'll feel like a massive jerk. 

Anyway........ Nonsense about me aside, this is about your awesome review of Manhunt!

You did it again! You made me actually want to pick up and play something that I haven't even thought about in years. Honestly, I've never actually finished Manhunt, I played it a little bit when I was about 15 I think. I knew even then that I probably shouldn't have been, it's one of the few times I genuinely felt disgusted with myself playing a video game, it was almost as if every single action just felt so grimy, and uncomfortable. To the point where I just left it alone and never went back to it. Suffocating someone with a plastic bag, or doing your very own impression of New Jack the Wrestler, by slicing people up with broken glass was just so brutal.

On 04/11/2021 at 0:39 PM, YaManSmevz said:

While violence in video games was already very well documented, Manhunt just hit different. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, which preceded Manhunt by a mere year and some change, comes to mind as a comparison. Both are widely viewed as murder simulators, which is not inaccurate. Hitman isn't cartoonish (per se), and wasn't wildly unrealistic in its depictions of assassination. But there was a sense of accomplishment, of triumph upon a successful hit, complete with fanfare as you seek an exit.

This is a great comparison point actually.

The thing that's always felt different between the two for me........

..................if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a little bit of a context thing, You are a professional killer as 47, so you are automatically a little desensitised to the idea of killing right off the bat.  Whereas Manhunt thrusts you into that world against your own will. So the killing you do ends up being that much more visceral and brutal, because you aren't trained to make it seem smooth. Where 47 might slip in and slit someone's throat - Manhunt would have you turn someone into a pin cushion with a piece of glass, where 47 might use the fibre-wire, Mr Manhunt protagonist would just stick a plastic bag over your head and watch you gurgle and die.

It's like you mentioned there's a sense of accomplishment that comes with Hitman - that you've done the job well, you've left no trace, and you've just strutted straight out of the level with your suit on as if you were never there. So in a way, I think , that ends up softening your actions, instead of making you directly confront them in a more real way like Manhunt did - obviously I've not played the whole thing, so I'm going on my fairly hazy memory of the game. 

So I guess perhaps I should pick it up and play it again...... I could probably handle it better as a functioning adult than I could when I tried to play it before.......

....... I won't lie, the idea does - to borrow the speech patterns of some of my west country family - it does "Scare I!"........... but not as much as this does.

a70e95fba64d1d6daea9877c75efa383.jpg

There's plenty of scary things that exist in this world - and then you remember few are actually scarier than Danny Devito's little yellowed undercrackers - where he just looks like the most unsettling hairy child imaginable!

Again - brilliant stuff man, I'm really enjoying your Rockstar revisit you've been on lately. It's definitely reminded me I need to fill in some of the gaps in my collection too, and get some of these awesome games played!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That was a killer review man - yes pun intended this time 1f609.png

......... Seriously though - that was excellent, it was nice to read about the game with much more detail than most people give it outside of being a "MURDER SIMULATOR!" Yes, you should always shout those words whenever you think of them! 1f606.png

Better late than never right?

Seriously though, apologies for the lateness. I haven't wanted to even look at a keyboard the last few days after that seriously long NieR review I wrote........

.......... Which is actually one of the first times in a long time I'm actually satisfied with a review I've written and don't have too many hang ups about it after the fact. So I guess that is a positive. I also forgot to reply to you in my own thread, and a few others too, so I'll make a point of doing that later on. Otherwise I'll feel like a massive jerk.

Don't be silly, I think it would require a considerable amount of effort for you to come across as a jerk! Your Nier review is marked for when I can give it the proper time, I've no doubt it's outstanding (as per usual!).

Thank you, I appreciate that! Also I have a confession to make... I made my first

review edit on this one. I lost momentum writing the review, I wanna say I spent like four hours writing it up - I always post up and write my reviews in one shot on my phone, and this was an example of why that isn't always a good idea?

You did it again! You made me actually want to pick up and play something that I haven't even thought about in years. Honestly, I've never actually finished Manhunt, I played it a little bit when I was about 15 I think. I knew even then that I probably shouldn't have been, it's one of the few times I genuinely felt disgusted with myself playing a video game, it was almost as if every single action just felt so grimy, and uncomfortable. To the point where I just left it alone and never went back to it. Suffocating someone with a plastic bag, or doing your very own impression of New Jack the Wrestler, by slicing people up with broken glass was just so brutal.

Nice New Jack reference! Fitting, because you really do end up making the gang members look like Mass Transit!

I found the approach fascinating - it's so deplorable, yet you're so drawn in to the concept. You just feel dirty playing while not wanting to stop. More than a few times I wondered "what does this say about me as a person??"

This is a great comparison point actually.

The thing that's always felt different between the two for me........

..................if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a little bit of a context thing, You are a professional killer as 47, so you are automatically a little desensitised to the idea of killing right off the bat.  Whereas Manhunt thrusts you into that world against your own will. So the killing you do ends up being that much more visceral and brutal, because you aren't trained to make it seem smooth. Where 47 might slip in and slit someone's throat - Manhunt would have you turn someone into a pin cushion with a piece of glass, where 47 might use the fibre-wire, Mr Manhunt protagonist would just stick a plastic bag over your head and watch you gurgle and die.

It's like you mentioned there's a sense of accomplishment that comes with Hitman - that you've done the job well, you've left no trace, and you've just strutted straight out of the level with your suit on as if you were never there. So in a way, I think , that ends up softening your actions, instead of making you directly confront them in a more real way like Manhunt did - obviously I've not played the whole thing, so I'm going on my fairly hazy memory of the game.

I absolutely agree with this, 100%. I would add that the depictions of murder are a bit different - as violent as an assassination could be, in Hitman they felt a bit sanitized - like how it would look in a mainstream film or something. In Manhunt it feels like you stumbled upon something you shouldn't be seeing. And as far as viciousness goes, a fiber wire is going to lose to a plastic bag every time!

Plus, Diana and the director both approve of the player's actions, but Diana's "Well done, 47" feels a hell of a lot better than Starkweather's "You're really doin it for me... I ain't been this turned on since.. well, let's not go there."

jay-z-eww.gif

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

So I guess perhaps I should pick it up and play it again...... I could probably handle it better as a functioning adult than I could when I tried to play it before.......

....... I won't lie, the idea does - to borrow the speech patterns of some of my west country family - it does "Scare I!"........... but not as much as this does.

a70e95fba64d1d6daea9877c75efa383.jpg

There's plenty of scary things that exist in this world - and then you remember few are actually scarier than Danny Devito's little yellowed undercrackers - where he just looks like the most unsettling hairy child imaginable!

That's a fair point - if I have to split someone's skull with a crowbar, that's pretty bad... but if you have to do it while playing as Danny Devito in that scene, I'd probably just shelve the game altogether and forget it ever existed. We can only take so much!!

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Again - brilliant stuff man, I'm really enjoying your Rockstar revisit you've been on lately. It's definitely reminded me I need to fill in some of the gaps in my collection too, and get some of these awesome games played!

Thanks so much bro, that means a lot! I'm definitely having fun with revisiting all these games, just hope I can keep it as fun for the poor souls who end up reading about it?

• Like 1

Platinum #40: Hotline Miami

He came into your apartment, left the bloodstains on the carpet

394234-284987734948280-1781522247-n.jpg

I've mentioned before how fond I've grown of older, SNES/Arcade style graphics and gameplay being given the modern generation treatment - and it may be recency bias, but... Hotline Miami is a contender for the crown.

Is Hotline Miami better than Mark of the Ninja? Shiiiiiiit..... that's gonna take a better mind than mine to determine (lookin at the good Doctor for that one). Spoiler alert, though - Hotline Miami easily made it into my Post-Platinum-Play Posse!

Holy fuck, what a dizzying experience this game was, and in the best way possible! I remember sneaking a peak at the trophy list before getting into it, and seeing things like "Die 1000 Times" or "Kill 1989 Enemies," and being intimidated, thinking it would be a grind. Now that I'm more familiar, I know how laughable that thought is!

Hotline Miami is about as frenetic as it gets. From the moment you're introduced to the woozy, neon atmosphere, you've got to figure out how to briskly get through these levels without getting hit, because you literally get hit once and it's over. The great thing is that yes - you're gonna die a lot - but the music and the rhythm never stop. You're constantly reinserted into the level until you notice the patterns and develop a strategy to complete it, and it never fails to satisfy. Also, the story absolutely grabs you - who are these dudes in the masks? Who's leaving these messages with veiled language telling you to cap some fools? Why is this one guy working at all these places you stop at between levels? Who is the girl you end up rescuing a few chapters in?

Like Manhunt, this game's violence is obscenely over the top - frankly, I think we're fortunate that they went the 16-bit route, because if Hotline Miami had Ghost of Tsushima level graphics, we'd all be pretty traumatized! Also like Manhunt however, we're confronted with the slaughter we're gleefully taking part in at the end of each chapter. The (fucking phenomenal and surprisingly diverse) soundtrack booms and throbs, providing us with an intensely catchy, rhythmic backdrop to all the chaos, but once the chapter is complete, it suddenly stops, and now you have to make your way back to the car, observing the massacre you single handedly undertook while a tinny static takes the place of the slammin tune you'd just been rockin out to. It's as though the adrenaline finally ran out, and all you're left with is the reality of your actions.

The lone criticism I have of this game - the controls are kinda finicky. It's way too easy to get yourself turned an angle off and not be aiming at an enemy properly, and with the fast pace Hotline operates at, naturally this easy mistake will almost always result in death. Also, and this may be simply because of the other games I was playing at the same time, but the aiming/shooting/throwing buttons make little sense - aiming with R2, shooting with R1, and throwing with L1 took some time to get used to.

This is one of those games where I'm borderline embarrassed that it took me so long to play. It is stellar, and an experience I would suggest to anybody. If you:

- Remember Smash TV

- Enjoy retro gaming

- Get down with fast paced games

- Like music that is good

- Have fun trying to figure out what's going on in a game

If any of those apply, this is a mandatory play.

THAT Trophy: Get A Life

This game was so good that going back for the high scores didn't feel like a chore at all - I was genuinely looking forward to it. In fact, going for the Bat-Man trophy was the first time I didn't truly enjoy myself playing this, and I thought that was what I would be writing about here. Not so much...

For the most part, it really was a lot of fun trying to score as highly as I could, and even chapters that a lot of people cited as a source of trouble came, well not easily, not by a longshot - but more or less free of excess frustration.

Except for Chapter Nine. Crackdown. Awwwww shit.

This asshole, let me tell you. It's not especially difficult to complete, but that A+ just wasn't happening. So many times, everything is lining up perfectly, all the bonuses are comin my way, and then a dog appears out of nowhere, or a wayward bullet hits me, and it was all for nothing, back to the beginning. And then when I do pull it off, execute my plan exactly as intended... well, all I'll say is that an A grade has never felt like such a slap in the face.

It had me so flustered that I went to Chapter 10, and after two A- attempts I decided to skip both, and before I knew it those two were all I had left. My methods clearly had been coming up short, so it was time for something different.

I tried the Carl approach, I tried the bold approach, nothing was working. Then Zack came to my rescue - I realized how massive the combo bonuses are if you can figure out a continuous path and just plow through each floor. It took some time, but it started working, and after a handful of tries, I had finally done it - Chapter Nine was in the books, and I could finally exhale. After that, with only 10 left, the killer instinct surfaced. I knew this was in the bag, and I started Chapter 10 lookin at my television with Max Scherzer eyes:

mad-max.gif

Within twenty minutes or so, I'm getting entire floors in a combo each, in the zone, oh so close to wrappin it up, I can feel it. Nothing is gonna stop me from getting this platinum right now, all I need is a few more tries an-

"Babe? You wanna go shopping with me?"

Uh-oh.

"Uuhhhh.... are you tryin to go right now? .....uuhhhh.... *shit* ....uuhh I mean if you particularly want me to come along..."

"Well, I'd like to go now if we can, I just need to make sure that dress I'm gonna buy matches your suit for the wedding."

Fuck.

We had talked about this the day before, and she is perfectly within her spousal rights to interrupt this moment.

"....okay honey, I'll hop in the shower right quick."

You've been granted a reprieve, Hotline Miami. But I'm comin for you.

Luckily we picked out a dress for her in record time, got back home and I knocked this fool out before it was time to get ready for work.??

Gotta love a happy ending!

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #40: Hotline Miami

Nice one man! ?

God, I'm so jealous right now - You get to write about Hotline Miami, where I am trying to write about LA Cops - which is essentially what you would get out the other end if you fed Hotline Miami to a 10-person human centipede... ?

Is Hotline Miami better than Mark of the Ninja? Shiiiiiiit..... that's gonna take a better mind than mine to determine (lookin at the good Doctor for that one). 

Don't joke - these are the future decisions that haunt my nightmares... ?

Holy fuck, what a dizzying experience this game was, and in the best way possible! I remember sneaking a peak at the trophy list before getting into it, and seeing things like "Die 1000 Times" or "Kill 1989 Enemies," and being intimidated, thinking it would be a grind. Now that I'm more familiar, I know how laughable that thought is!

Hotline Miami is about as frenetic as it gets. From the moment you're introduced to the woozy, neon atmosphere, you've got to figure out how to briskly get through these levels without getting hit, because you literally get hit once and it's over. The great thing is that yes - you're gonna die a lot - but the music and the rhythm never stop.

This - I think - is the single smartest decision they made in a game absolutely chalk-full of smart decision!

It seems like a small thing, and yet the net-negative effect that it would have on gameplay if the music reset every time you died would be so bad - not doing that, and recognising that the game music should be independent of the run is such a brainwave on the Dev's part - I was actually thinking about this the other day, when I was playing the time-trial stuff in Quantum Conundrum. That's a game I really like, and music is not a big part of it, but one of the few real criticisms in it is that there is some dialogue lines in the voice over that are triggered in each puzzle at set points - and some are right as you start. In some of the puzzles that are particularly tricky, or require very specific timing, you can be replaying them upwards of 50 times in a row, and hearing the same damned line every time is a nightmare - and basically mandatory, as there are audio cues you need to hear when playing, so you can't even just mute it!

Except for Chapter Nine. Crackdown. Awwwww shit.

This asshole, let me tell you. It's not especially difficult to complete, but that A+ just wasn't happening. So many times, everything is lining up perfectly, all the bonuses are comin my way, and then a dog appears out of nowhere, or a wayward bullet hits me, and it was all for nothing, back to the beginning. And then when I do pull it off, execute my plan exactly as intended... well, all I'll say is that an A grade has never felt like such a slap in the face.

I'll be interested to see what you think if you roll onto Hotline Miami 2 - it's a game that is still great in a lot of the same ways, but I think they really overshot the difficulty - basically, that game starts out at the level of frustration you are alluding to for Chapter 9 here... and only ramps up... and ends up being a lot more frustrating as a result.

I wonder, maybe, if it would feel less jarring if someone rolled directly onto it after Hotline 1 (my guess is, it would feel more manageable,) though that is a tall order, given how pounding Hotline feels by the time you finish! Second one still has a great soundtrack though!

PS - I love the story that your trophy log tells, given that you dotted between The Witness and Hotline Miami ?

I just have this image of you sitting deadly still, staring at the same puzzle in The Witness for 10 minutes, before erupting into Hotline rage...

338195-Witness1-noscale.jpg ...   9g7uq7awmyr01.jpg  ...  giphy.gif  ... Afraid-Hideous-Aztecant-max-1mb.gif

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nice one man! ?

God, I'm so jealous right now - You get to write about Hotline Miami, where I am trying to write about LA Cops - which is essentially what you would get out the other end if you fed Hotline Miami to a 10-person human centipede... ?

Thanks Doc!

Dude, I have a weird anticipation for that review, I'm both dreading and excited for it? again, I have to thank you for sparing me potential misery!

It makes me think of the Michael Keaton movie Multiplicity - Hotline Miami decided to make a clone of itself, and Hotline Miami 2 was born. However, HM2 wanted to clone itself, but a clone of a clone was bound to be a subpar mutation at best, and the result was LA Cops. In all likelihood, I'll probably just end up watching a playthrough!

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This - I think - is the single smartest decision they made in a game absolutely chalk-full of smart decision!

It seems like a small thing, and yet the net-negative effect that it would have on gameplay if the music reset every time you died would be so bad - not doing that, and recognising that the game music should be independent of the run is such a brainwave on the Dev's part - I was actually thinking about this the other day, when I was playing the time-trial stuff in Quantum Conundrum. That's a game I really like, and music is not a big part of it, but one of the few real criticisms in it is that there is some dialogue lines in the voice over that are triggered in each puzzle at set points - and some are right as you start. In some of the puzzles that are particularly tricky, or require very specific timing, you can be replaying them upwards of 50 times in a row, and hearing the same damned line every time is a nightmare - and basically mandatory, as there are audio cues you need to hear when playing, so you can't even just mute it!

You hit the nail on the head with that one - every checkpoint I've ever been stuck at, where there's some sort of dialogue or specific sound/piece of music at the beginning, can absolutely grate after a while - especially if, as in your case, there's no way around it! This was a brilliant bypass to that, they were clearly mindful of how often you're going to die and restart in that game, and how critical it is to keep the momentum flowing. What would be the opposite of that line from the Simpsons at the Itchy and Scratchy meet and greet... boy, I really hope somebody got a raise for that stroke of genius!

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'll be interested to see what you think if you roll onto Hotline Miami 2 - it's a game that is still great in a lot of the same ways, but I think they really overshot the difficulty - basically, that game starts out at the level of frustration you are alluding to for Chapter 9 here... and only ramps up... and ends up being a lot more frustrating as a result.

I wonder, maybe, if it would feel less jarring if someone rolled directly onto it after Hotline 1 (my guess is, it would feel more manageable,) though that is a tall order, given how pounding Hotline feels by the time you finish! Second one still has a great soundtrack though!

I've heard that about HM2, and while HM certainly has that quality of leaving you wanting more, I'm feeling kinda hesitant to dive into the sequel. The first game hit the perfect balance of trickiness - it could definitely be frustrating, but never felt outright overwhelming, and there are already enough games on my profile that have me on the ropes without inviting another heavy hitter. We'll see, though... maybe I'll watch a trailer or gameplay video and be lured in. It is a fantastic style they've set up, after all!

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

PS - I love the story that your trophy log tells, given that you dotted between The Witness and Hotline Miami ?

I just have this image of you sitting deadly still, staring at the same puzzle in The Witness for 10 minutes, before erupting into Hotline rage...

338195-Witness1-noscale.jpg ...   9g7uq7awmyr01.jpg  ...  giphy.gif  ... Afraid-Hideous-Aztecant-max-1mb.gif

?????

Accurate.

Speaking of The Witness, a couple weeks ago I was taking a break while tackling the Monastery, I saw this commercial and it triggered the hell out of me...

I really need to get back on that horse. Just the End and the Challenge left, and I've been totally dragging my feet on it. I hear the challenge employs that mechanic where incorrect solutions shut off the panels, and I already hated when that would happen even WITHOUT a timer! Probably just too much in my own head... I'm like that kid who doesn't want to go home cuz he's in trouble or something!?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

mad-max.gif

^^At first I was like 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbxbBMeCC9q8PB9Jvpkux

Then I was like

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

God, I'm so jealous right now - You get to write about Hotline Miami, where I am trying to write about LA Cops - which is essentially what you would get out the other end if you fed Hotline Miami to a 10-person human centipede... 1f602.png

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

Then I was like

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

PS - I love the story that your trophy log tells, given that you dotted between The Witness and Hotline Miami 1f602.png

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

yeonkaityun-john-cena.gif

c7f.gif

Because I saw this

20211111-063807.jpg

chipmunk.gif

• Like 2

Awesome write up ? but then I am rather fond of the new Hitman games. I have poured so many hours into it, trying out all the various ways to take out the targets. I would advise to play the next installment pretty soon, as the story arc does continue from where you left off after Hokkaido. By the time I played H2 in 2018 I'd forgotten some of the characters mentioned in the cut scenes, but it wasn't until I played H3 earlier this year and did the whole trilogy in one go that I saw what IO were going for. It really is a great game. 

Hitman 2 does have co-op trophies in the 3 sniper levels, I think the servers are still up for it, but if you need a co-op partner I'm more than happy to help you out ?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

Awesome write up ? but then I am rather fond of the new Hitman games. I have poured so many hours into it, trying out all the various ways to take out the targets. I would advise to play the next installment pretty soon, as the story arc does continue from where you left off after Hokkaido. By the time I played H2 in 2018 I'd forgotten some of the characters mentioned in the cut scenes, but it wasn't until I played H3 earlier this year and did the whole trilogy in one go that I saw what IO were going for. It really is a great game. 

Hitman 2 does have co-op trophies in the 3 sniper levels, I think the servers are still up for it, but if you need a co-op partner I'm more than happy to help you out ?

Thanks so much Heather! I know how fond you are of these games, so your compliment means a lot to me? I was thinking of starting by replaying the missions from the first game before getting into the meat of the second one - like how you said about playing 3, just doing it all in order. I jumped back and forth between locations over the course of nearly two years so I don't remember where exactly all the cutscenes fit, so a refresher would definitely be nice.

I appreciate the offer, and think I will take you up on that! I'm still so intrigued by the fact that they toyed with a multiplayer mechanic at all, so I'm super intrigued by that as well! I'll see you out there homie?

• Like 2

5-B8700-CA-D388-40-C2-BF39-4-D3-D2-CDD2-

Excellent work, 47.

Glad you had a good time man, such an awesome game - and all the sweeter now, knowing there is so much great Hitman still out there waiting for you!

I’ve probably exceeded my “gushing about Hitman” quota for the decade at this point (and cemented it with the top scientific spot), but I still smiled incessantly at this:

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

A lot of the dialogue is just funny, like "You need to stop throwing things" or "That's it, man! You're a jerk!"

… the number of random lines of bizarrely funny, ever-so-too-much-expositional dialogue never doesn’t make me happy!

You missed off my personal favourite line, from guards, heard on occasion all through the series:

“Somebody’s doing something!”

?

• Like 3

Really nice write up dude! iirc my last experience with Hitman was Absolution? Maybe.. Long time ago now. My only Hitman game before that was Blood Money - I remember the mission: The Murder of Crows literally blew my fucking mind and I replayed it to death. Sick times. 

I used to love the screen after the missions with specific ratings in a news paper format. My friends find it funny because they like to be on some straight up Ninja shit, never being seen or heard. Then there's me blowing the shit out of everything that moves - claiming it's just a different kind of stealth - no one survives, still no witnesses. I'm still a ghost bitch ?

I've been meaning to check the newer games out for a while now. Maybe I should bump them up on the priority list! 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

5-B8700-CA-D388-40-C2-BF39-4-D3-D2-CDD2-

Excellent work, 47.

Glad you had a good time man, such an awesome game - and all the sweeter now, knowing there is so much great Hitman still out there waiting for you!

I’ve probably exceeded my “gushing about Hitman” quota for the decade at this point (and cemented it with the top scientific spot), but I still smiled incessantly at this:

… the number of random lines of bizarrely funny, ever-so-too-much-expositional dialogue never doesn’t make me happy!

You missed off my personal favourite line, from guards, heard on occasion all through the series:

“Somebody’s doing something!”

1f602.png

Praise from Caesar - thank you, my dude!

For real. I'm so excited to experience the rest of the trilogy, especially since by all accounts it only gets better!

Dude my favorite moment was in Sapienza, a mobster caught me hiding a body and he bellowed out "SOMEBODY CALL THE POLICE!" I was dyin? like on what planet would that be a mobster's first response? Also someone says something like "this clown needs to watch where he's going," and I wish I could remember where exactly, because I want to encounter that person while dressed as a clown.

Now that you've pointed that out I'm probably gonna constantly notice "Somebody's doing something" ???

4 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Really nice write up dude! iirc my last experience with Hitman was Absolution? Maybe.. Long time ago now. My only Hitman game before that was Blood Money - I remember the mission: The Murder of Crows literally blew my fucking mind and I replayed it to death. Sick times. 

I used to love the screen after the missions with specific ratings in a news paper format. My friends find it funny because they like to be on some straight up Ninja shit, never being seen or heard. Then there's me blowing the shit out of everything that moves - claiming it's just a different kind of stealth - no one survives, still no witnesses. I'm still a ghost bitch 1f601.png

I've been meaning to check the newer games out for a while now. Maybe I should bump them up on the priority list! 

First of all, it's so nice to see you around the forums again?

Thanks bro! I'm glad you liked it, and hope you end up peepin the new games!

Bruh that was always such a good time, just blastin everybody??? I remember clearing out rooms and then stalking the place when guards stopped running to where I was, trying to make sure I took everybody out.

"Jesus 47, what the fu-"

"Job's done, nobody saw me, chill the fuck out."

"Well yes, but I mean.. did you really have to-"

"Shut up Diana, you know I know where you live."

".......right. So for your next mission..."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

I used to love the screen after the missions with specific ratings in a news paper format. My friends find it funny because they like to be on some straight up Ninja shit, never being seen or heard. Then there's me blowing the shit out of everything that moves - claiming it's just a different kind of stealth - no one survives, still no witnesses. I'm still a ghost bitch 1f601.png

I enjoyed playing Blood Money, but the controls were not the easiest ?. Though my favourite level in that one was the opera. Switching out the prop gun for a real one and having someone else do the kill for you while you watch from the rafters. Then your other target comes running in, drop the chandelier on his head and then just mosey on outta there ?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Hundo #9: Hitman

Past the pyrotechnics, undetected and invisible

Hitman-free-819258.jpg

Fantastic review man!

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't read this already. I should have dropped a comment last night - but I'm kind of running on fumes of fumes right now - not that that's relevant, I just thought I'd let you know why I didn't reply at the time. That's why I was dropping rep points in the thread like they were going out of fashion - I was loving all the positivity - and it was lovely to see loads thrown your way that you absolutely deserve! It was a joy to read that review man.

The moral of the story is insomnia sucks, and so does not being able to get back to sleep the minute you wake up, which is why I was a little nonplussed when I woke up at 5AM on the dot this morning! 

This isn't about me though - so apologies for the stupid ramblings.

Nice to see Sapienza get shouted out - that's one of my favourite locations across all of the Hitman games - and that's pretty tough competition considering how good even some of the earlier ones from the Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money Trio - the less said about Hitman Absolution the better I think. I mean they even shit-canned David Bateson really early into the development, before the fans got understandably livid,and they had to go back on it! Or something to that effect - I can't remember the exact details 

if you go to 45 seconds into this video - you can hear who the replacement was going to be

I think he sounds like a really generic investment banker - so I'm glad that was changed in the end (sorry not sorry William Mapother). Absolution has a lot of great moments though to be fair - like there's a really cool assassination sequence with a load of - how shall I say - erm, kinky nuns?

felt like it could've been the basis for a great movie - sadly, as far as I know, no such attempt has ever been made with this franchise. Ever. A pity, really).

Do you mean there's never been an attempt to make a great movie with this franchise? Because I agree with that statement if so. There's been two so far - neither of them good, and each one is pretty tough to watch for entirely different reasons - although my brother seems to really like the recent one - each to their own I guess.

I’ve never once seen a landscaper, for instance, and said "hey, gardener!" It's just weird getting this unneeded confirmation of your disguise

Should I start fearing that I live in a video game world? Because that literally happened to me a few months ago - when I was doing some hedge trimming - I really hope they didn't notice the barcode on the back of my scalp :facepalm:

I love the direction they've taken with the new series though - that freedom to just play around and have fun within the games sandbox is brilliant. I found it so easy to just get pulled into just randomly experimenting with all sorts of things - I love the fact there's like a really odd off-kilter costume in pretty much every level, that has specific fun challenges tied to them as well.

You got that point across so well - just the huge scope of everything there is to do in the game!

Did anybody else have weird bug issues with this game?

Yep - I had loads,some really weird A.I pathing ones as well - I had a similar one to the one you had in The Icon - except it was in Bangkok for me. I can't remember exactly which opportunity it was but it kept saying it was done - until suddenly it didn't. Strange, but I guess I can't complain too much!

Awesome that @Heather342 is offering to give you a hand with the co-op for Hitman 2 - but if something comes up - I'll happily step in and give you a hand with them instead if you need them - I guess I'll just sit on the subs bench haha!

I hope you love Hitman 2 as well  (I sure as hell did,) I really want to play Hitman 3 but I just stubbornly won't let myself until I get my hands on a PS5.

Those Hitman 1 levels in Hitman 2 are fairly interesting too - I've spoken about this with Doc a fair bit, about how subtly different they play compare to how they did in the version you've just played - it's why I never quite understood why people complained about their inclusion.

Hell of a great read as always man!

I think you've also nudged me in the direction of my next classic review, so thanks for that. I  think I'm going to cover Hitman 2: Silent Assassin through to Blood Money next. Been a while since I've covered sequential games.

I'm off to go and pour myself a lot of coffee - and get and play Afterparty.

• Like 2